Survey - How do you install puppy?

Using applications, configuring, problems

What type of installation do you most often use?

Poll ended at Wed 23 Jul 2014, 00:10

Frugal install to hard disk
44%
Frugal install to USB (usb key, SD card or external usb/firewire HDD)
19%
Full install to internal hard disk
19%
Full install to external hard disk (USB or firewire)
No votes
Save back to CD/DVD
8%
BootFlash - usb key installer (similar to option 3)
4%
Install to CF disk (any type)
3%
SuperFloppy (sounds cool, but is it?)
No votes
Other (if I didn't mention something - read topic info)
3%

Total votes: 73

01micko

#1 Post by 01micko »

I need to know how you install puppy.

The reason is that some ancient methods of installation are being considered to be removed. Barry already removed the Iomega ZIP drive or LS120 installation method 3 years ago, but not completely. It will be removed completely.

My hypothesis is that many new users start out by booting the CD and saving the session and as they get to know puppy opt for either a frugal installation to hard drive, making a USB key install or saving back to CD/DVD.

Of course there is remastering but that is outside the scope of this topic.

For the purpose of this topic we will not consider saving a live session from CD as "installation", however if you do use this and want to vote please vote for the first option Frugal install to hard disk. We will also consider f2fs installs as installs to USB key: the filesystem is of little importance to this survey. PUPMODES and hacks to the way puppy runs are of no importance. They are a topic of a different discussion.

You will see the types (and I hope I got them all) in the poll. If I didn't cover your situation then vote "Other" and make a post explaining what you do. It runs for 21 days from today.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

01micko

#2 Post by 01micko »

Marker,

BTW, if you use a VM, vote for the type of install you do on the VM.

Thanks to rokytnji for pointing out that the EXE method for windows is not included. However it is beyond the scope of the Puppy universal installer.
Last edited by 01micko on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 00:26, edited 1 time in total.

rokytnji

#3 Post by rokytnji »

I've done Unetbootin install of Guy Dog on 128MB SD card.
Save file was on Windows 7 NTFS as ext2.

I run .exe Slack0 5.7 inside of Windows 7.

I can do frugal in my sleep on anything internal or external. Flash,IDE,SSD.

I do full installs on anything less than 512MB of ram. With a /swap.

So lately since I run the .exe. I voted other.

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Rok.

Since the EXE is an extra it's not considered as part of PUI. I'll make a note of that in the second post.

Cheers

slavvo67

#5 Post by slavvo67 »

Hey Micko1,

Maybe you should have let us choose more than one option. Although I'm a creature of habit, I'm sure many have multiple installs in different ways. Instead of completely eliminating the installs, perhaps there's a way to create pet packages out of the ones your are considering to remove. That will put the choice back onto the users. Not trying to create more work, I'm just thinking out loud....

I noticed live cd is not there, so we'll call that a non-install I guess. Which, makes sense, of course.

Best,

Slavvo67

cthisbear

#6 Post by cthisbear »

Occasionally I save back to a cd on some machines.

Normally I use Hirens' Boot cd method of making
all my usbs multiboot.

Some have Hirens' plus multiboot Pups...
plus i can save in them if I want...

Using Grub 4 Dos from Hiren's. 3rd last post.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 5&start=30

others have the Falcon boot cd files on usb plus Puppy multiboots.

As Falcon uses much of Hirens you can't have both on a stick.
Same file name structure.

Only ever ran one hard drive install...64 mb..old board.
With a cheat frugal of Teenpup.
Ran quite well really.

Copy the puppy main files to the root of your hard drive.
Puppy 4.12 = pup_421.sfs
Puppy Pulp = pup_412pulp.sfs ...etc.

Chris.

James C

#7 Post by James C »

For testing purposes I generally do a quick manual frugal install to an ext3 or ext4 formatted internal hdd partition.

For an install I'll actually use (and keep for a while) I use traditional full install on a Linux formatted hdd partition.Actually the full installs seem to be better in general on ram challenged hardware.

I never install on Fat or NTFS (sorry Nooby) and rarely install to usb sticks.

On a Windows only box I use multi-session dvd's.

Semme

#8 Post by Semme »

Because most boxes I address can boot live media, it's hands down the opener. And if need be, Grub4DOS makes life easy.
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

perdido

#9 Post by perdido »

Since only one selection, I voted frugal USB key.

I have a generic frugal USB key that boots pretty much whatever I stick it in.

Also have a full install to hard drive.

FWIW

Les Kerf

#10 Post by Les Kerf »

I use a live DVD every day (Slacko 5.7) with the save file on the DVD, but I often get other folks started by using a Poor Man's Frugal install on their machine using a CD to boot it. This concept seems to be more readily accepted by Windows users than anything that modifies their MBR; remove the CD and boot to Windows.

I also have multiple manual frugal Puppy installs on various thumb drives.

I never do a full install.
Les

Billtoo

#11 Post by Billtoo »

I usually do a manual frugal install to either an sdhc card or a flash
drive formatted ext4 and then I use grub4dos on the card or flashdrive.
Attachments
sdcardinstall.jpg
(20.61 KiB) Downloaded 552 times

jangelelcangry

#12 Post by jangelelcangry »

My method in 32-bit puppy is using uui from windows, booting from usb, mount usb, install to desired hdd partition, select full install run grub4dos and done.
btw grub4dos does a great job by not messing with other boot loaders something that ubuntu and windows bootloaders fails to do.

starhawk

#13 Post by starhawk »

To try: from CD, closed session.

To keep: for my regular systems (desktop/laptop), frugal install to SATA SSD (hence my selection, Other). I use the built-into-the-Pup version of gparted to partition the drive and then I install using the Puppy Universal Installer. Right now I have two such installations, one is ext4 (main system) and the other ext3 (netbook, aka spare/backup).

Variations: I like to play around with thin clients (that's actually how I learned to Puppy in the first place!) and I usually do a frugal install to a CompactFlash (CF) card in IDE adapter for those. (I call that setup a Poor Man's SSD. Not really such any more, except for the really tiny CF cards -- above 8gb, it gets expensive fast.) HOWEVER, once I get the motivation, I've got an IDE SSD (!) that I will be using in a thin client. (I lost the motivation I had, when I found out that it could not go past 512meg RAM. Thanks, Fujitsu :roll: ) I also have done full installs in the past, all but one for a now-mostly-abandoned project to try and bring a Pentium 2 laptop into the modern era. (I suspect that its replacement will be a Pentium 3 system that I'm ignoring right now and shouldn't be... we shall see...) That said, none of those full installs have lasted terribly long.

Bootloader: grub4dos, basically always; though there are two small exceptions -- there has been exactly one time that I've managed to make "real" GRUB work for me using its wizard; that was on that Pentium 2 laptop (literally every other time it just feeds me Error 15 until I give up and plunk down grub4dos) -- and IIRC pUPnGO's installer (which is not PUI, but something goingnuts brewed up himself) uses "real" GRUB as well, which I've used extensively on that same Pentium 2 laptop.

Other thoughts: I actually have an IDE ZIP drive, it's for 100meg disks, of which I have exactly zero. I'd love to see if Puppy *actually* works from a ZIP drive install someday, just for kicks, but I suspect I'll be quite disappointed... I'd have to use a pretty stripped-down Pup anyways, to fit it on a 100meg ZIP disk. Also, of course, Puppy rocks :D (but we know that!)

darry1966

#14 Post by darry1966 »

Full install if keeping OS. From CD only when testing.

Grub4dos is brilliant.
Last edited by darry1966 on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 06:17, edited 1 time in total.

davids45

PUI - Full

#15 Post by davids45 »

G'day 01micko,

I voted for a "full-install-to-internal-hard-drive" as the installation I most often use (via the Puppy Universal Installer (PUI)).

But the most frequent installation I do, would be a manual frugal :-
manual = from an existing Puppy, I download the new iso, mount it, and Rox-copy the three or four needed files to a newly added sub-directory on my frugals-only partition.

If I like the frugal, I will then use the PUI to make a full install of this frugal to a newly wiped partition on one of my hard-drives (deleting whatever old Full Pup that had been on that small partition). I don't know how to do a manual-Full because the PUI has been pretty good.

On a new/empty computer (lately I tend to collect old ones), I just use a bootable USB stick to manually set up the first Pup and then follow my frugal-then-full-too-if-I-like-it habit. It's just so quick & easy to put many Pups on a computer (once I have my archive of different isos to copy over as I choose).

And Grub4dos is easier than the original grub so I've begun to use Grub4dos to set up booting these new-old computers, and so I'm not missing that part of the former PUI.

I used to use a rewritable CD for new Pup installs (previously to that, el-cheapo single-write CDs - I have scores going yellow in the attic) but most computers now can boot from a USB which seems simpler to me. Easy to add a few program sfss to the stick as well.

I'd give a lot of preference to how Puppy neophytes vote, believing it is they who'd use (and need to use) the PUI mostly?

David S.

Sylvander

#16 Post by Sylvander »

I do 3 types:
1. Live install with pupsave on internal HDD.

2. Frugal install to USB Flash Drive.

3. Multi-session DVD-RW.

...But was only able to vote for 1 = Frugal Install to HDD.

bigpup

#17 Post by bigpup »

Just when you think something is dead and not used anymore.

AS of 22 June 2014.
Here is a guy that uses a floppy to boot with.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94378
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

grump

#18 Post by grump »

Live CD with save file on data HDD. If I like the distro I make a live USB from the CD and keep the save file on the HDD. In syslinux.cfg I add media=CD so it looks for the sfs on the HDD.

I'm using Fatdog atm but don't remember what I had to do to get it to work the same way with a live USB.

I voted for the USB option. (Bootflash USB etc)
Last edited by grump on Wed 02 Jul 2014, 22:29, edited 2 times in total.

RSH

#19 Post by RSH »

I voted for:

Frugal install to USB (usb key, SD card or external usb/firewire HDD)

Though I'm using something what I do call "Live Frugal" which means, everything is on USB Flash Drive or USB HDD, but NO save file is used.

Instead of save files I'm using my Personal Data SFS, Personal Config SFS and a external Config File (at boot partition).

No matter if I'm booting from sda1, sdc1, sdf1 etc. The OS always knows where to find the Files and Directories.

Also I'm using a script that creates symbolic links in /root (or where ever needed) to my directories and files on internal and external USB Flash / HD Drives. Usually this is done for so-called database-based Mediaplayers like Aqualung or Amarok etc.pp.

RSH
bigpup wrote:Just when you think something is dead and not used anymore.

AS of 22 June 2014.
Here is a guy that uses a floppy to boot with.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=94378
Though I have removed all functions to use a save file in L.A.S.S.I.E. 003, I wouldn't remove anything for a Original Puppy Linux.
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

butchydave

pup install...

#20 Post by butchydave »

USB only anymore with save file and Netbootin. Love PLOP boot CD and Floppy PLOP for old hardware. I save the big piles of stuff including ISO's to hard drive NTFS. 35gig plus and grows frequently. An aside: Could one of you that knows Barry please ask him to post on his site pics, news whatever he is doing in life now, it's part of my daily web routine and has been for a long time.... pup stuff or not. Many thanks to him and you guys for making life better! :D