rul3r v1.3

Mathematical tools, physics simulators, CAD, CNC, etc.
SFR

rul3r v1.3

#1 Post by SFR »

I needed to measure something, but didn't find a ruler, so I wrote one.
All it does is generate and display 3 rulers: Pixels, Centimeters and Inches.

The real DPI is calculated from xrandr's output and all floating-point calculations are done using awk (20 decimal places), so should be pretty accurate.

A tiny irregularities in distribution of millimeters marks may be visible, especially at lower resolutions, but I guess there's no way to avoid this, since it's impossible to convert analog (mm) to digital/discrete (px) values 100% accurately - it's just an approximation...

Requirements: xrandr, awk, cut, grep, seq, gtkdialog, xmessage.

Changelog:

Version 1.1
- fixed: reading the width of the screen (thanks to MochiMoppel)

Version 1.2
- a warning window in case if obtaining the physical size of the display has failed (thanks to Jasper & mister_electronico)
- physical size of the display can be also defined manually in $HOME/.rul3r

Version 1.3
- fix in calculations for screens that have width smaller than height (thanks to MochiMoppel)

Enjoy &
Greetings!
Attachments
rul3r-1.3.pet
(2.71 KiB) Downloaded 568 times
Screenshot.png
(29.19 KiB) Downloaded 930 times
Last edited by SFR on Sat 07 Mar 2015, 10:29, edited 3 times in total.
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]
[b][color=green]Omnia mea mecum porto.[/color][/b]

MochiMoppel

Re: rul3r v1.0

#2 Post by MochiMoppel »

SFR wrote:I needed to measure something, but didn't find a ruler, so I wrote one.
Funny. 2 days ago I needed to measure something, but didn't find a ruler, so I made pencil marks on the edge of my monitor :lol:

What I needed was a ruler or a grid that indicates number of pixel from position 0x0. A simple 1200x1600 grid wallpaper would do the job, but I was too lazy to create one.

Your ruler looks nice, but doesn't yet work for me. I'm used to rulers that start at zero :wink:
Your calculation of screen width is not correct.
Replace

Code: Select all

SCREEN_WIDTH=`xrandr  | grep -wo '[0-9].*\*' | cut -f1 -d 'x'`
with something like

SCREEN_WIDTH=$(xwininfo -root|awk '$1=="Width:"{print $2}')
If you have to use xrandr you must extract the "current" setting from the first line of output.
Attachments
ruler.png
(4.81 KiB) Downloaded 812 times

Jasper

PicPick runs well in Wine

#3 Post by Jasper »

Hi MochiMoppel,

I don't remember if you use Wine and doubtless you could make (and by now may already have made) your own superb pixel ruler.

You may know about PicPick and its functions which include a pixel ruler, but if not there is http://www.picpick.org/en/ and a couple of screen shots below.

I got my excellent free copy from http://portableapps.com/

My regards

PS I'm up late as I've been trying to recover from a hard drive wipe out that's a major disappointment rather than a catastrophe.
Attachments
PicPick.png
(36.66 KiB) Downloaded 760 times
Pixel ruler.png
(17 KiB) Downloaded 753 times

Geoffrey

#4 Post by Geoffrey »

Opacity would be handy

<window title="'${APPNAME}'" resizable="false" opacity="0.5" image-name="/usr/share/pixmaps/rul3r.png">
Attachments
rul3r.jpg
(72.67 KiB) Downloaded 742 times
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

SFR

#5 Post by SFR »

@Mochi: Usually I use xwininfo, but in this case I needed xrandr anyways, to get real size of the physical screen, so didn't want to introduce another dependency (I think I'm becoming a coding purist with age ;)).

Anyway, could you please post your xrandr output? Perhaps it can be fixed.
Here's mine for comparison:

# xrandr
Screen 0: minimum 320 x 200, current 1366 x 768, maximum 8192 x 8192
LVDS connected 1366x768+0+0 (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 344mm x 193mm
   1366x768       60.0*+
   1280x720       59.9  
   1152x768       59.8  
   1024x768       59.9  
   800x600        59.9  
   848x480        59.7  
   720x480        59.7  
   640x480        59.4  
VGA-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
HDMI-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
DisplayPort-0 disconnected (normal left inverted right x axis y axis)
#
# xrandr | grep -wo '[0-9]*mm x [0-9]*mm' | cut -f1 -d 'm'
# 
# xrandr  | grep -wo '[0-9].*\*' | cut -f1 -d 'x'
# 
EDIT: will this one work for you?

xrandr  | grep -wo -m1 'current [0-9]*' | cut -f2 -d ' '
Thanks.

@Geoffrey: Hmm, not a bad idea, but requires an environment that supports real transparency (like XFCE, which I assume is in your case?).
On the other hand, I wrote this app to measure objects from the real world, not those on the desktop (since it would allow to measure only items that are parallel to the x-axis), although a concept for another app is crystallizing as we speak, so maybe later. ;)

Thanks guys &
Greetings!
[color=red][size=75][O]bdurate [R]ules [D]estroy [E]nthusiastic [R]ebels => [C]reative [H]umans [A]lways [O]pen [S]ource[/size][/color]

MochiMoppel

#6 Post by MochiMoppel »

SFR wrote:I think I'm becoming a coding purist with age ;)).
You are already a purist. I like your code. Looks like a well crafted poem ...well, almost. :lol:

Below my xrandr output, together with your fixed ruler (yes, your new code works for me).I also tinkered with thisidea and rolled my own. Works pretty well, but requires ImageMagick.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
(30.99 KiB) Downloaded 731 times

SFR

#7 Post by SFR »

Thanks Mochi :lol:

Ok, thank you for confirmation, v1.1 with the fix uploaded.

@Geoffrey et all: measur3r-1.0 is the app to measure stuff on the desktop. 8)

Greetings!

Jasper

#8 Post by Jasper »

Hi SFR and co-conspirators,

That's brilliant and the screen shot demonstrates that you are spot on (and so was Pythagorus).

I seem to have everything you list, except my "xmessage" seems to like "gxmessage" and, perhaps strangely, I only see pixel measurements and my output screen is a fraction too small.

My regards, thanks and congratulations.
Attachments
Shot(1).png
(16.62 KiB) Downloaded 633 times

SFR

#9 Post by SFR »

Hi Jasper

This indicates a problem with obtaining real screen dimensions.
Could you please post the output of xrandr command?

xmessage usually is a link to gxmessage and they share most of options, but the latter looks much better.
It should automatically adjust the window size to its content, but I may add '-geometry' option in next version.

Btw, on a general note, both rul3r and measur3r won't be working in VirtualBox (and probably other VMs), because xrandr returns '0mm x 0mm' there...

Thanks for testing &
Greetings!

Jasper

#10 Post by Jasper »

Hi again,

Thank for your response. Here is the requested output:

# xrandr
xrandr: Failed to get size of gamma for output default
Screen 0: minimum 640 x 480, current 1024 x 768, maximum 1024 x 768
default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
   1024x768        0.0* 
   800x600         0.0  
   640x480         0.0  
# 
My regards

SFR

#11 Post by SFR »

default connected 1024x768+0+0 0mm x 0mm
And that's the problem. I don't know why doesn't it show the size in your case and I don't know any other (reliable) way to get the needed info, unfortunately.
I'm afraid you're just out of luck with this one. :(

Greetings!

Jasper

#12 Post by Jasper »

Hi SFR.

No, I'm lucky to get expert help and (if desperate) I believe I could use a calculator to convert the pixel results to mm or whatever.

My regards

Jasper

#13 Post by Jasper »

This is a screen shot reminder about 5* Puppy measurement apps from SFR:

(1) xonclock (style, place and easily resize to suit)
(2) LFF (large files finder) There is a later version
(3) xonview (shows disk reads and writes) Full screen for graphics
(4) measur3r (in yellow) - calculates horiz/vert/diagonal distance
(5) PicPick (ruler as shown) uses Wine. SFR has issued rul3r v 1.2 as above.

My/our thanks go out to, the fiendishly clever, SFR and his co-conspirators.
Attachments
Shot.png
(79.61 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

SFR

#14 Post by SFR »

Thanks Jasper. :)
Btw, since version 1.1, measur3r won't start if it's unable to determine physical size of the display (and user won't provide this info), so I have uploaded also measur3r_lite, which supports only pixel units.

Greetings!

MochiMoppel

#15 Post by MochiMoppel »

Hi SFR,

I tried rul3r v1.2. and see 2 issues:

1) My screen is 1200px wide, but what I get is only 1040px. Not enough to measure large screen elements. Your screenshot shows 1200px, so I guess it's not a deliberate limitation.
2) The cm calculation is wrong. The 35cm on your ruler actually is only 26cm, measured with a "real" ruler. And since 26cm would be about 10 inches, inches are also not correct :cry: In other words: The ruler exaggerates. I hope you didn't use it to measure important parts :lol:
Attachments
rulers.png
(40.19 KiB) Downloaded 526 times

SFR

#16 Post by SFR »

MochiMoppel wrote:1) My screen is 1200px wide, but what I get is only 1040px. Not enough to measure large screen elements. Your screenshot shows 1200px, so I guess it's not a deliberate limitation.
Actually it is. The ruler's width is:
SCREEN_WIDTH - 100 (to leave some margins for a window) - 50 (gap for Px/Cm/In text on the left) - some space on the right - window decorations.
But like I said earlier, this ruler was intended for measuring objects from the outside of the monitor. measur3r is the app designed for the other purpose.
MochiMoppel wrote:2) The cm calculation is wrong. The 35cm on your ruler actually is only 26cm, measured with a "real" ruler. And since 26cm would be about 10 inches, inches are also not correct :cry:
I think I see what's the problem in your case - whereas your display's resolution is 1200x1600, xrandr reports its physical size as 408mm x 306mm (your previous screenshot), but shouldn't it be 306mm x 408mm..?
So, I've added this condition:
[ $SCREEN_WIDTH -lt $SCREEN_HEIGHT ] && [ $MM_WIDTH -gt $MM_HEIGHT ] && MM_WIDTH=$MM_HEIGHT
which hopefully fix this. Please try.
Same done to measur3r, btw.
MochiMoppel wrote:In other words: The ruler exaggerates. I hope you didn't use it to measure important parts :lol:
It's better to exaggerate than shorten, isn't it? :lol:

Greetings!

MochiMoppel

#17 Post by MochiMoppel »

Longer or shorter, at least you are quicker. I just finished my calculation and it now produces the desired results:

SCREEN_WIDTH=$(xrandr | grep -oP '(?<=current )[0-9]*')
SCREEN_HIGHT=$(xrandr | grep -oP '[0-9]*(?=, maximum)')
MM_DIMENSION=($(xrandr | grep -oP '[0-9]*?(?=mm)'))
MM_WIDTH=${MM_DIMENSION[0]}
MM_HIGHT=${MM_DIMENSION[1]}
[ $SCREEN_HIGHT -gt $SCREEN_WIDTH ] && MM_WIDTH=$MM_HIGHT
Look Ma', no cut !
xrandr reports its physical size as 408mm x 306mm (your previous screenshot), but shouldn't it be 306mm x 408mm..?
Should be, but xrandr doesn't like math. Instead it indicates the current orientation:
DVI-0 connected 1200x1600+0+0 left (normal left inverted right x axis y axis) 408mm x 306mm

SFR

#18 Post by SFR »

MochiMoppel wrote:

SCREEN_WIDTH=$(xrandr | grep -oP '(?<=current )[0-9]*')
SCREEN_HIGHT=$(xrandr | grep -oP '[0-9]*(?=, maximum)')
MM_DIMENSION=($(xrandr | grep -oP '[0-9]*?(?=mm)'))
Look Ma', no cut !
Yeah, nicely done, perl-regexp rulez! :)
Unfortunately, in Fatdog (my main system now) grep is compiled without it, so FD users would have to install another version from repo...

Anyway, I just figured how to do it with awk (which is not my strong suit, so came to it mainly by trial & error):

# xrandr | awk 'match($0,"current ([0-9]+) x [0-9]+",a) {print a[1]}'
# xrandr | awk 'match($0,"current [0-9]+ x ([0-9]+)",a) {print a[1]}'
# 
# xrandr | awk 'match($0,"([0-9]+)mm x [0-9]+mm",a) {print a[1]}'
# xrandr | awk 'match($0,"[0-9]+mm x ([0-9]+)mm",a) {print a[1]}'
# 
MochiMoppel wrote: Instead it indicates the current orientation
Thanks, didn't notice.

Greetings!

MochiMoppel

#19 Post by MochiMoppel »

Not so nice: I discovered that xrandr is extremely slow. Takes 0.4s on my machine to load, so calling xrandr 3 times as in my example will take more than a full second. This is a noticeable time lag. Calling it only once, as you do in your script, and then feed the output to a variable is a better idea.

Considering that xwininfo is 100 times faster than xrandr I try to avoid xrandr whenever I can, but I'm now puzzled by the results I get from xwininfo. As you can see, both tools report correct pixel dimensions, but millimeter dimensions for width/height are not only mixed up, they are different. The ones reported by xwininfo seem to be wrong. Any idea how they are calculated?
Attachments
millimetermystery.png
(48.71 KiB) Downloaded 216 times

SFR

#20 Post by SFR »

Yep, xwininfo was my first choice when I began to write rul3r, but noticed the same thing and after small research it turned out that there was a change in Xorg at some point:
https://bugs.freedesktop.org/show_bug.cgi?id=23705#c6 wrote:The 'screen size' as reported in the core protocol now respects the DPI value given by the user or config file and ignores the actual monitor DPI of any connected monitor.

The real monitor size is reported through the RandR extension if you really need to know the physical size of the display.

This is intentional and follows the practice seen in many other desktop environments where the logical DPI of the screen is used as an application and font scaling factor.
Greetings!