GUI to download LibreOffice - beta quality

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
Jim1911

#16 Post by Jim1911 »

01micko wrote:Ok, I see that (from a brief look at your thread Christian) that there are issues with LO-331 and and that LO-332rc is better. Well hopefully 332 will be the latest stable for LO very soon and hopefully too this program, when it is run, will detect the version number difference. Well as long as the Libre server structure stays the same then this program should do just that!
How about adding an option to download libreoffice beta's or rc? Also, you can tackle OpenOffice so I won't need to upload that to playdayz anymore? :lol:

Regards,
Jim

01micko

#17 Post by 01micko »

possibility of extra locales --- done!
possibility of latest testing version --- done!

Open office? Maybe. Maybe not.

Cheers!
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

wuwei

#18 Post by wuwei »

Gee whizz micko,

you are outdoing yourself.
Can't keep up with you on the German side, but trying to,... :wink:

Jim1911

#19 Post by Jim1911 »

My, you are super fast. :D Interface is great, but I haven't been able to download the testing version, apparently their download site is getting a lot of traffic.

EDIT: 03/23/11, 1440 Still unsuccessful for the testing version, get "Failed to download Please try again later" message. I managed to snap picts of the download screens as they flashed by.

EDIT 2: Disregard above. The stable version doesn't download either, I went to the libreoffice site and discovered that they now offer LibreOffice 3.3.2 Final (2011-03-22) so there probably isn't a testing version available now. Because of the new release, the site probably has heavy traffic.

Cheers, :D
Jim

01micko

#20 Post by 01micko »

EDIT 2: Disregard above. The stable version doesn't download either, I went to the libreoffice site and discovered that they now offer LibreOffice 3.3.2 Final (2011-03-22) so there probably isn't a testing version available now. Because of the new release, the site probably has heavy traffic.
Thanks Jim,

Ok, looks like you trapped the libre site in their transitional period. Good news is that I just got the 'stable' version as 3.3.2 :D .. so that part of the code works. Now.. how to compare whether the latest stable is not the same as testing? Hmmm... a bit more difficult as I just checked and listed as 'testing' is 3.3.2rc2 :? . (now defunct). Well I guess this app may be a little premature, but in saying that, the libre guys probably haven't figured out their structure yet, so in that respect they are probably a bit immature.

I have been looking for the WM's (webmaster's) address to see if I can communicate with him/her/them but nothing found. (They may be a bit suspicious of all the hits they've been getting from my IP addy over the past week or so :shock: ).

Thanks for testing and if you come across any peculiarities let me know.

Cheers

Jim1911

#21 Post by Jim1911 »

Mick,

Sorry, but I believe that there is now a problem with the file name or path with the updated 3.3.2, since I still haven't been able to download the stable version either. I did download the files without any delay just using the download site. :(

Cheers,
Jim

swiatmar

#22 Post by swiatmar »

Hello 01micko :)
I`ve got some massage by trying get libreoffice:

Code: Select all

Pupmode 13 is unsupported, sorry
what does it mean?
I am using lupu 5.2 with xfce

01micko

#23 Post by 01micko »

:roll: Yes, well I guess that doesn't mean much... I have changed the message to "USB and DVD installs are unsupported". Reason is that you need lots of RAM, sure, I can do a test for that, but at the moment I'll wait until we see if this app is stable enough.

Thanks for report.

ver 0.6 is posted, the program quits if you choose "testing" and there is no testing version and recommends you get the stable version. It also quits if the servers are unresponsive with a "try again later" message.

rhadon

#24 Post by rhadon »

Hi Mick,

for your interest:

I just tried to build LibO_3.4.0rc2. It downloads OK, but fails to build the sfs.

Here is the output from a terminal:

# ./get_libreoffice 
ok
mkdir: cannot create directory `/initrd/mnt/dev_save/libre_download': File exists
LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US.tar.gz
./get_libreoffice: line 478: 25994 Terminated              gtkdialog-splash -close never -icon /usr/share/pixmaps/throbber.gif -bg green -text "$INFOMSG1"
true
true
CHKBOX0="true"
CHKBOX1="true"
EXIT="getlibre"
# tar: LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_de: Cannot read: Is a directory
tar: At beginning of tape, quitting now
tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now

gzip: stdin: unexpected end of file
tar: Child returned status 2
tar: Exiting with failure status due to previous errors
rm: cannot remove `LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_de': Is a directory
tar: LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US: Cannot read: Is a directory

rm: cannot remove `LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US': Is a directory
tar: LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_langpack-deb_de: Cannot read: Is a directory

rm: cannot remove `LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_langpack-deb_de': Is a directory
LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_helppack-deb_de
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/libre_download/LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS
mkdir: cannot create directory `workdir': File exists
sh: line 109: cd: /initrd/mnt/dev_save/libre_download/LibO_3.4.0rc2_Linux_x86_install-deb_en-US/DEBS/workdir/opt/libreoffice/share/xdg: No such file or directory
sh: line 1:   598 Terminated              gtkdialog-splash -close never -icon /usr/share/pixmaps/throbber.gif -bg yellow -text "$INFOMSG2a $LIBO_EN_US $INFOMSG2b"  (wd: /usr/sbin)
_de
EXIT="Exit on timeout"
HTH

Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

01micko

#25 Post by 01micko »

Hi Rolf

Thanks for heads up.

Well 3.4 is stable now so I updated the script to grab either 3.3.2 or 3.4.0, both in the stable branch. By the look of your errors the downloads weren't complete :?

They did change a lot of stuff so failure was inevitable anyway. The .desktop files are all changed.. they add that annoying "%U" to the exec line which fails in puppy, also they have modified the call paths, which actually is an improvement, I need to do less hacking in the script. I have added code to remove that %U and fix the icon paths if the version is greater than or equal to 3.4.0.

(see first post)

Have fun!

rhadon

#26 Post by rhadon »

Hi Mick,

thanks for get_libreoffice-0.7.pet. Works fine now in Lupu 5.25 for 3.4. :D

Maybe you can help me to understand two mysteries? :shock:

Mystery 1:
First I used it in Icepuppy 013. Downloading, building sfs and mounting OK, but I'm not able to start any LibreOffice program. Also not after reboot. E.g. Draw:
Menu->Graphic->LibreOffice 3.4 Draw doesn't work.
/usr/share/applications/libreoffice3.4-draw.desktop doesn't work.
/opt/libreoffice3.4/share/xdg/draw.desktop doesn't work.

Running the last one in a terminal, I get 'Permission denied'
Permission set and running again, I get:

sh-4.1# ./draw.desktop
./draw.desktop: line 1: [Desktop: command not found
./draw.desktop: line 7: --draw: command not found
./draw.desktop: line 8: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics-flat-xml: No such file or directory
./draw.desktop: line 8: application/vnd.oasis.opendocument.graphics-template: No such file or directory
./draw.desktop: line 8: application/vnd.sun.xml.draw: No such file or directory
./draw.desktop: line 8: application/vnd.sun.xml.draw.template: No such file or directory
./draw.desktop: line 8: application/vnd.stardivision.draw: No such file or directory
./draw.desktop: line 9: 3.4: command not found
./draw.desktop: line 10: 3.4: command not found
./draw.desktop: line 11: Program: command not found
./draw.desktop: line 12: Program: command not found
./draw.desktop: line 14: الرسم: command not found
./draw.desktop: line 15: কাৰ

wuwei

#27 Post by wuwei »

rhadon

you might want to take a look at my post here...

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=690

Same problem from a different angle.

Very mysterious.

rhadon

#28 Post by rhadon »

@wuwei

very strange, indeed. :shock: have you tested another Puppy with your installed new Libre Office?
So it doesn't seem to be a problem of Mick's pet and it doesn't seem to be a problem of icepuppy (at last not only).

Rolf

wuwei

#29 Post by wuwei »

rhadon wrote:
have you tested another Puppy
LO starts in all my other Puppies. However, in Wary 512 it starts initially, but when I want to install Java through Tools-Options it crashes as soon as I click on "Add".

OO runs fine without any problems.

That's strange, too.

Henry

Printing problem, Lo3.4

#30 Post by Henry »

wuwei wrote:rhadon wrote:
have you tested another Puppy
LO starts in all my other Puppies. However, in Wary 512 it starts initially, but when I want to install Java through Tools-Options it crashes as soon as I click on "Add".

OO runs fine without any problems.

That's strange, too.
Hi, wuwei,

As you know I installed Lo3.4 with your help and have been testing it. For the information of those here I would suggest not rushing into it. It works but is reportedly buggy. My concern is that it doesn't print - at all. Tronkel is pursuing this on the Lo users list now, I see.

01micko

#31 Post by 01micko »

Hi rhadon, wuwei, Henry

I just booted into Wary 512 and am testing out libreoffice3.4 I built from the script in spup and it seems sane to me.

Rolf, trying to run the DOTdesktop files doesn't work.

The exec line in most of them should read:

Exec=libreoffice3.4 --draw (or --writer or --base or whatever)

You can run that command in a terminal

libreoffice3.4 --draw and draw should start, working for me in Wary.

This is the big change from previous versions where they were using the Openoffice method of calling the scripts in the program directory

Some thing like:

/opt/libreoffice3.4/program/sdraw

I wouldn't be surprised if those scripts disappear in future versions.

So just check the .desktop files and make sure they have that exec line. The only mod the script does to that line is remove the %U argument that was in the original. (apart from adjusting the icon path to fit with puppy's menu system).

By the way.. there should be a file in /usr/bin called libreoffice3.4 which is a symlink to /opt/libreoffice3.4/program/soffice.

HTH

wuwei

#32 Post by wuwei »

Fortunately Libre Office 3.4 is not the only available Office Suite.
None of these problems were present in LO3.3 or in Open Office 3.3.

To reiterate:

LO3.4 runs fine, prints and is entirely without any unusual behaviour in these Puppies:
spup

It does not even start in
ICE012

It does start but won't accept Java and won't print in
Wary 512

All of these are the exact same /mnt/home "installation" with starters dragged to the respective desktop.

Thank you Micko for the hint with the content of the .desktop files. Those are present after an SFS has been installed. I might try this route some time later, but for the time being this is just a caveat against LO3.4. With several alternatives available, there is not exactly a pressing need to get this small problem resolved.

01micko

#33 Post by 01micko »

Thanks for clarification wuwei.

I just installed Java update 24 (tho it's actually up to 26) to Wary and it's ok.. however with all the problems surfacing I think maybe the libre guys made the "stable" call too early. :(
I am of the opinion that the app is still a bit immature, still finding it's feet after a major fork from OpenOffice. As you say, alternatives are there.

Henry

No print in Lo3.4

#34 Post by Henry »

To clarify about the non-printing problem I have with 3.4: This is in the same perfectly stable version of QNop12 that I always use.

Lo3.4 will not even start to print from, e. g. Writer. Other apps, like Gimp, print as usual to my Laserjet 2100 and PhotoSmart 4480. I now have both 3.4 and 3.3 installed. 3.3 prints. 3.4 does not but seems to work otherwise.

I noticed Tronkel's posts to a forum here:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Li ... 26425.html He starts:

"Has anyone had a printing problem with 3.4.0?
3.2.2 was fine in this regard.
3.4.0 shows a correctly installed CUPS printer but refuses to actually print the job.
What has changed between the two versions?"

01micko

Re: No print in Lo3.4

#35 Post by 01micko »

Henry wrote:To clarify about the non-printing problem I have with 3.4: This is in the same perfectly stable version of QNop12 that I always use.

Lo3.4 will not even start to print from, e. g. Writer. Other apps, like Gimp, print as usual to my Laserjet 2100 and PhotoSmart 4480. I now have both 3.4 and 3.3 installed. 3.3 prints. 3.4 does not but seems to work otherwise.

I noticed Tronkel's posts to a forum here:
http://nabble.documentfoundation.org/Li ... 26425.html He starts:

"Has anyone had a printing problem with 3.4.0?
3.2.2 was fine in this regard.
3.4.0 shows a correctly installed CUPS printer but refuses to actually print the job.
What has changed between the two versions?"
Space in the url.. it's a known forum issue