Setting video to 1024x480

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
hairybiker

Setting video to 1024x480

#1 Post by hairybiker »

My Sony Vaio PCG-C1F now has puppy-4.2retro running on it, but the video is having "issues"

Using the xorg driver - xvesa corrupts the consoles and will not run anywhere near this.
Have to use the "generic" driver to stop video corruption
Have run through the setup many/many times trying to get it to switch to 1024x480. I can get 1024x768 running or 640x480 but the first looses half the screen and the second looses 50% of desktop.

I have tried modding the xorg.conf but puppy seems to ignore all my mods.
I have tried putting in a mode line, changing the 640 to 1024 the 768 to 480 adding the option for 480 etc but it ignores all this.

So my Q is how do I get this video mode to work?

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

Without fiddling with the array of vid-drivers, a software possibility might be jemimah's zarfy applet .. digging in the bin since it did odd things for me (I was trying for multimonitor support without xinerama) but it might possibly help you perhaps. She also has lots of other non-desktop stuff, so maybe etwas anders in her collection would be the ticket. vid is a royal pitb sometimes, and when the console pukes it can get pretty ugly

+.. you did edit xorg.conf while out of X (use mp) right? xorg can be the 'other' pitb, stepping thru the b*stard and getting to the right place to edit, sometimes it even ignores the mp edit and you have to do it from another pup and hope the reworked pup fires up correctly (yah, testing warys and quirkies and their predecessors was fun it was - I almost fell off my chair when I tried mp511 and it went straight to desk without all that joy)

Likely more competent help may be along sooner or later..

hairybiker

#3 Post by hairybiker »

I tried editing it from within x, from the wizard and from the console directly. Nothing changed other than sometimes it wouldn't start X.

Alvasin

#4 Post by Alvasin »

I have puppy Linux 3 running on my Viao now, but no matter what settings I change I cant get the video to work at the default resolution of 1024x480, I can get 1024x768 but then I am missing the bottom of the screen.

Tried changing the xorg.conf adding the mode line for it but it seems to be ignored.

I have to use the "standard" driver to get the video working at this resolution.

Any help gratefully received.