Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 17:12
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
What does this maths symbol mean?
Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
mahaju

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2011, 08:16    Post subject:  What does this maths symbol mean?  

This is an excerpt from an article I am reading. In the 2nd line the Z refers to set of integers I think, but what does Z/m mean? Does it mean the set {0,1, ..., m-1} (ie, the set of integers mod m) or does it mean something else?
Please help me out here.
Thanks in advance.
Smile

Also, a homomorphish which is one to one and onto (bijective) is called isomorphism. Is this true?
excerpt.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   33.48 KB
 Viewed   723 Time(s)

excerpt.JPG

myke

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2011, 10:45    Post subject: The Answer
Subject description: What Z/m means

In mathematics, Z/m indeed refers to the set {0,1, 2, ..., m-1} but generally mathematicians are more interested in looking at abstract groups, rings and fields. The group {Z/m,+} refers to the set Z/m with addition modulo m. So, the subgroup {Z/4,+} would be {0,1,2,3} with 3+1=0, 1+2=3, 2+3=1, etc. You can think of it as adding the remainders of two numbers so the remainder of 11 after dividing by 4 + the remainder of 9 after dividing by 4 = the remainder of 20 after dividing by 4. It forms a commutative group with the identity being 0. The meaning I gave it is in some sense canonical. (The technical term is isomorphism).

If you look at {Z/m,+, ⊗} , with the addition and multiplication being modulo m, you get a commutative field with the additive identity being 0 and the multiplicative identity being 1. In other European languages, field is generally not used in this context, French: corps, German: Körper, Dutch: lichaam, but Flemish: veld.

mahaju

PostPosted: Sun 20 Mar 2011, 21:02    Post subject:  

Thank you very much
Considering the symbol to mean the set Z mod m the other parts of the article make a little more sense, but I still have many problems with this. For instance, do you have any idea what it means in line 5, that
Steps 1 and 3 are "no-ops" if Z/m is represented as {0,1,...,m-1}
What is "no-ops" and why the "if"? ( since Z/m means {0,1,...,m-1} )

Again, in this next section, R[x] means the set of all polynomials in R with variable x, that is, the coefficients of the variables in the polynomials are members of the ring R. So does that mean R[y][x] (line 2) is the set of polynomials of two variables x and y? And what is the difference between writing R[y][x] and R[x][y], because in later sections the articles hunts that they are not the same, however it's not clear how they are different. Also, by analogy, R[y][x]/(x^n-y) would mean a set of polynomials that we get as remainder when we divide the members of the set in the numerator by the denominator. Is this right? Do I have to visualize this new set as something being finite like Z/m, or is it possible for this new set to have infinite members?

Thanks
Smile
excerpt2.JPG
 Description   
 Filesize   35.94 KB
 Viewed   239 Time(s)

excerpt2.JPG

Page 1 of 1 [3 Posts]  
 Forum index » Off-Topic Area » Security
Jump to: