Macpup 520

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
cgt_1991

installing macpup 520 with unetbootin

#16 Post by cgt_1991 »

I like to install "macpup"on my USB stick with UNetbootin, but this time I have not worked,, thanks to this post from "Pizzasgood" I could solve this problem:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=174220

to work, we must modify the file "syslinux.cfg" as follows:

Code: Select all

default puppy
display boot.msg
prompt 1
timeout 50

F1 boot.msg
F2 help.msg
F3 help2.msg

label puppy
kernel vmlinuz

append initrd=initrd.gz ide=nodma pmedia=usbflash
if someone wants to download unetbootin:

http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

bye :D

runtt21

#17 Post by runtt21 »

You can also try shinobar's way...

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=63350

runtt21

#18 Post by runtt21 »

WOW softpedia jumped on this one fast,

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/System/O ... 7022.shtml

eztuxer

#19 Post by eztuxer »

Wow ! First time on E17 (actually it's the name of a freeway here in Belgium).

Beautiful, plus I feel like the mouse runs faster and more accurate.
Great work runtt21 & prit.

Thanks for this puplet.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

eztuxer

#20 Post by eztuxer »

Does this puplet need the 520 update.pet or is it included ?
Trying to install jubler http://jubler.org/ it fails to find java 1.6.0.22 which I have installed.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

runtt21

#21 Post by runtt21 »

No , The extra 511 drivers are already installed . Quickpet is customized for macpup and is up to date. The rest isn't needed in macpup. I am about to release a small update for e17 in a day or two. Check to see where jubler is looking for java it may be in a different place.

runtt21

#22 Post by runtt21 »

We had a good first day. :D
Attachments
520.1.jpg
(40.76 KiB) Downloaded 2914 times

runtt21

#23 Post by runtt21 »

New Theme, MP-Agust-01 , Should be finished by tomorrow.

omskates

#24 Post by omskates »

Congrats on another great rebuild and on keeping up with E17 development. Always exciting :D

runtt21

#25 Post by runtt21 »

I got the MP-Agust theme done today . It's the MP520-themes-04.pet in the macpup520 folder on my macpup page. Enjoy !! :D
[url]http://macpup.org/runtt21[/url]

gcmartin

Seems that this would reduce both lag and update on Mozilla

#26 Post by gcmartin »

The Mozilla project is home for the browsers many use. On SourceForge, I saw this and your distro came to mind.

Thought you would find this helpful.
Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 23 Mar 2011, 03:07, edited 1 time in total.

phodges

compiz?

#27 Post by phodges »

great job guys, this one works likea charm.

hey, is this

http://macpup.org/runtt21/files/macpup5 ... 520-01.pet

compiz? :D

gcmartin

Very clean

#28 Post by gcmartin »

Just wanted to let you know that I've discovered that MacPUP has this problem too!

Otherwise, really like what I see. This is a very clean implementation that has taken total advantage of PUP5.2 and the work in QuickSet. Very very clean.

Hope this helps

runtt21

#29 Post by runtt21 »

Thats is more of a puppy issue .Yes it effects us but I don't know of very many macpup users that have 4 gb of ram. :lol: And that just means that macpup wouldn't use or "see" all of that ram. I don't think it would effect macpup's performance.

phodges That is the compositing module for e17.The one I had in 511 don't work very well.In fact it only worked for a few people like puppyluvr. I can't test it cause I cant run compositing. It may not work at all. No,it wont do crazy stuff like compiz but if it works it suppose to make e look even better. I don't think it really needs it.That is why I left it out of the .iso. But If someone wants to try it there it is.

Day two and we are back in the top 10 !!!! :D
Attachments
520.2.jpg
(27.32 KiB) Downloaded 2639 times

runtt21

#30 Post by runtt21 »

Day 3 :D
Attachments
502.3.jpg
(28.12 KiB) Downloaded 2681 times

fxjudy

#31 Post by fxjudy »

f00 and runtt21:
Thank you for your reply.
I found out why my screen went black,when I click shutdown and reboot,that's because I upgrade my nvidia driver use quickpet,I uninstall nvdia driver,run xorgwizard,choose vesa,now I can shutdown and reboot correctly,do you know which nvidia driver pet work with macpup?

gcmartin

#32 Post by gcmartin »

I RESPECT every distro owner to build his distro as he see appropriate for a community of users.

Thanks in advance.

`f00

#33 Post by `f00 »

..but maybe a qualification/suggestion here&there.

@fxjudy - next time I'm in mp520 (for real, not just a 1stlook), I'll see if report-video (a cli testool) is oki for general use .. it's a simple way to see what driver Xorg is using. Until then it may help to know the vidcard specs - these should be in HardInfo or by Pupscan if you don't know offhand (unless Macpup recommended a certain driver). Xorg can be tricky to fiddle with :roll: it may take me a little while to dl your big screenie... and yeah, I don't know much about nvidea (but got all discomboblated the 1st time I put Xorg-hi for my ati vidcard in mp511 .. tricky for me but I confuse easily ;) )

first look - mp520 (livecd, pfix=ram)

Even at the bootsplash a nice look (leather) and for me it went direct to e17 desk (in that odd-for-me size) .. the noise from my crt as X restarts lets me know I'm using a recent macpup (a double 'tink' rather than the usual single .. or that may be a lupu-thing).

ibar/box/pager all status quo, I did check out the other themes (lighter version of the default works for me), on a 1st look it makes no sense to tweak much (other than to get a sense of the ui). The e-menu still has some odd mono-darkening of icons (seems like the old legacy xpms mostly) and another thing which makes a bit of a mess for other wms which use the puppy-xdg 'standard'. The alphabetical layout of the applications top tier isn't my cup of tea, either. If I had a better sense of how e17 'does' menus ..

Jwm (493).. pretty decent all told (and a good fallback/alternative), obviously a much-updated smooth-color icon theme. jwm-menu icons in full color and the 1st tier is 'traditional' order .. but .. (I spent some time in mp511 trying to correct the following small issue) there's an initial submenu breaking the inline-limit rule in any desktop directory that has a subdir - and if that's not annoying enough, it overlooks the segregation of the other (sub) desktop dirs so the order seems a bit scrambled (sample screenie @69k here). Possibly the 'application' part of the e-menu needs it to be this way.. :shrug:

Tried fluxbox-1.3.1 and it works well as a clean install. Fair easy to disable the update and make it manual once the bulk of things are in place (so the anomaly can be fixed).

Aside from the menu-nits (which are quite trivial if you don't plan on adding other window managers or can overlook them if you do - a few wms or alternative menu schemes may not be affected at all) it looks to be yet another gem in the macpup line. Firefox 4 is especially quick, but some may wish to review the prefs offline before letting it loose (surprised me a bit when it ran flash content on locally stored pages). Good Job Prit, runtt21 and all.

runtt21

#34 Post by runtt21 »

gcmartin , uh dude, What is that about?

fxjudy , I dont know about the nvidia cards . I have seen reports of quickpet suggesting the worng ones in regular lupu and Sneeky has told me some of the drivers don't work that well. I run macpup in vesa/xvesa all the time. I have never hard any problems with it.

Thanks Foo

runtt21

#35 Post by runtt21 »