disc-swap upgrade issue(s)

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
`f00

disc-swap upgrade issue(s)

#1 Post by `f00 »

A short background on disc-swap upgrade, I generally use iang's method - the 1st (usually larger) savedir made when "burning data from previous CD" is a merge of previous savedirs .. it pops the disc out, then you close the tray and hit enter/return<key> and it continues with writing your current session (what's in /initrd/pup_rw) as the 2nd savedir. Also, I reboot rather than shutdown/poweroff so I can do a shakedown on the upgrade - usually it works quite well if the versions are close, but details vary.

______disc-swap upgrade 'perils'

Sometimes a disc-swap upgrade (saving session from an older version like racy 5.3.90 to a fresh racy 5.4.91 disc - mostly I do multisession discs) seems to work quite well. But occasionally there are minor puzzles like the following..

On the less side, some oddness (see top two attached caps) with pmount and driveicons :? pmount and driveicons were working well on the minimal shakedown session just after the disc-swap, but a reboot or two after and it's not quite so well on that front.

Fixing this took some fiddling about as illustrated in the rest of the caps. One of the joys of multisession disc - if I used a savefile things would be different :lol:
Attachments
mountui.png
something is odd
(36.32 KiB) Downloaded 821 times
mountui2.png
hmm, more xerrs.log hints
(40.73 KiB) Downloaded 725 times
5390probedisk2.png
how it was in racy 5.3.90
(7.07 KiB) Downloaded 542 times
5491probedisk.png
how it is in racy 5.4.91
(6.12 KiB) Downloaded 373 times
layerissue.png
symlinks pointing to each other..
(5.05 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
fix-a.png
part 1 of the fix..
(7.73 KiB) Downloaded 372 times
fix-b.png
using the archive..
(6.82 KiB) Downloaded 814 times

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

probedisk had a major rewrite a short time ago, optical drives code has been replaced, also the dvd-session core functions where moved to /etc/init.rd/functins

I am unable to follow what he did, but I could tell the code to reburn DVD at shutdown is missing.