Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 17 Apr 2014, 14:18
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Set time/date utility buggy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
Walt H

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2005, 00:34    Post subject:  Set time/date utility buggy?  

When I go into Puppy's menu and select 'Set time/date' from the Command Panel, I find it doesn't work right and doesn't appear to save the settings when/if I finally do get things set. It defaults to the year 2010, and if you try to reset it, you more often than not end up only being able to cycle between 1971 and 1999.

The day and time often skip several numbers at a time, even if you are very careful. I had to go backward and forward several times before I got the day and time correctly set.

Last night, I had everything set just right and saved those settings, or so I thought. Tonight, the time reset and the year changed back to 2010.

Is there a file somewhere I can edit to set these manually somehow? Also, I notice that the 'Set timezone' menu item does not include my timezone (U.S. Mountain Time - think Denver, Colorado), which I believe should be GMT -7 according to the utility. There is GMT -8 (Los Angeles) and GMT -6 (Mexico City), but no GMT -7. Or is GMT -8 incorrectly labeled? (My first thought)

Now that you point it out to me, the answer seems painfully obvious.
ICQ Number 
Catlover

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2005, 09:01    Post subject: Setting Date and Time  

To adjust date and time if you have a mouse with wheel use wheel to set time and date
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2005, 12:19    Post subject: Re: Problem setting date and time.  

Seems to me I had a similar problem. I can't remember what I did to get my time/date correct, but it's OK now. Sorry. Embarassed

I've noticed that several Linux distributions I tried didn't save the time correctly when they rebooted. Or at least they didn't save it the way I expected them to. I would set the time and then the next time I booted it would be off seven hours or so. I finally noticed that it happened if I had booted Windows in the meantime. There seems to be some difference between the way Windows sets the BIOS time from your time zone and the way Linux does it.

I know this has nothing to do with your problem but I thought I'd say it. Smile
GuestToo
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 15 Jun 2005, 13:18    Post subject:  

as far as i know, the Set Timezone Wizard has the offsets reversed

in other words, New York City would be +5 ... Denver would be +7 ... Los Angeles would be +8

you may have to change the timezone manually when daylight savings time changes

the timezone information is partly saved in the file /etc/TZ

i edited TZ and typed in the correct information for my time zone ... EST5EDT ... EST stands for Eastern Standard Time ... EDT stands for Eastern Daylight Time ... 5 (+5) is the time zone offset ... so when i type "date", it says my time zone is EST (actually, it says my time zone is EDT right now)

for Denver, it would be MST7MDT (an offset of +7)

see: http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man8/hwclock.8.html
and http://www.die.net/doc/linux/man/man3/tzset.3.html

Quote:
The offset string immediately follows std and specifies the time value to be added to the local time to get Coordinated Universal Time (UTC). The offset is positive if the local time zone is west of the Prime Meridian and negative if it is east.

NYC and Denver would be west of London, and therefore would have a positive offset (+5 and +7)

i have a dotpup that sets the time from the internet but it does not work properly unless you set the time zone properly first
Page 1 of 1 [4 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to: