[SOLVED] How to Install Lubuntu on Puppy Box

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
benali72

[SOLVED] How to Install Lubuntu on Puppy Box

#1 Post by benali72 »

Every old box I set up, I first install a Puppy and give it control of the disk MBR. So Puppy gives me its nice Grub or Grub4Dos menu at boot time to access any other OS I install on that box.

This works great for dozens of linuxes. But not for Lubuntu 17.10.1.

Install Lubuntu and try to boot it off the Puppy/Grub menu, and you get a "can't find device" message for the Lubuntu partition filesystem.

Try to verify the Lubuntu root filesystem is ok with e2fsck and you get a message like -- "e2label: Filesystem has supported feature(s) while trying to open /dev/sda7
Couldn't find valid filesystem superblock"

AFAIK, the problem appears to be that Lubuntu uses a feature of the ext4 filesystem (metadata csum) which many linux filesystem tools don't yet support.

SOLUTION --
(1) Pre-format the ext4 filesystem for Lubuntu in advance using Puppy
(2) Do not let Lubuntu re-format that filesystem when you install it into that partition
(3) Edit the Puppy-generated MENU.LST file. Replace the long disk UUID for the Lubuntu partition with its old-fashioned readable equivalent (eg, /dev/sda7)

Now you can boot into Lubuntu off the Puppy/Grub menu just fine.
Last edited by benali72 on Tue 27 Mar 2018, 15:51, edited 1 time in total.

Mike Walsh

#2 Post by Mike Walsh »

@ benali72:-

AFAIK, this is just one of several problems that all the Ubuntu 'flavours' had with the 17.10 release; it wasn't just Lubuntu.

I understand it to have been related to the particular kernel chosen for that release..... Torvalds' crew were experimenting with several new features around that time, and some of them didn't re-compile too well. It's a well-known fact that Canonical always re-compile the kernels they obtain in a factory-fresh condition from kernel.org, so as to 'tailor them' to Shuttleworth's 'vision' of how mainstream Linux for the masses should proceed..! :roll:

Mike. :wink:

fredx181

#3 Post by fredx181 »

Here's useful info:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=111376
(assuming it's about the same issue)

Fred

benali72

#4 Post by benali72 »

Thank you both for the feedback.

Fred, that link you provided is exactly the problem I faced. I had searched on the forum after I ran into the error but failed to find that thread. Too bad for me... I ended up hacking my way out of the problem on my own. It's really useful to read a thread that actually explains the problem I was flailing around with. I learned something.

Cheers.