Backup with dump and restore?

Filemanagers, partitioning tools, etc.
rumex

Backup with dump and restore?

#1 Post by rumex »

Hi Guys,

Hope you can help. Where I can find a pet to install the unix dump/restore facility onto a puppy distro?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

That's an interesting old utility! Do you actually need dump/restore or are you just looking for a tool to backup/restore partitions on a Linux/Windows computer?

rumex

#3 Post by rumex »

Its an very old tried and tested utility, What It gives me are incremental backups and backups which span media. Also I don't have to copy its output into one place to restore. My situation is - my father lives in a remote location. I want to have a base backup at his location and to transfer small increments over the internet to where I can manage them. (He isn't computer literate.) I've got LVM2 on the target system so backing up via snapshots is reliable. Puppy gives me a USB bootable system that he can boot with for me to remote login and rebuild a crashed system. Sort of belt and braces approach. Trying to ask a non-literate person to find the enter key over the phone is frustrating!
Should I be looking to get the source and compile it from scratch?

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I hunted around and found dump on sourceforge here.. I packaged the two commands - dump and restore - as a PET. It appears to work in Lupu. However in Quirky, it also needs libselinux, so I packaged it separately.

What OS is on the target system? This seems like a lot of work just to restore a damaged Puppy setup.
Attachments
libselinux-1.pet
(47.76 KiB) Downloaded 741 times
dump-0.4b43.pet
(175.08 KiB) Downloaded 845 times

rumex

#5 Post by rumex »

The target OS is Ubuntu. 2.6.32 running on a netbook. I've set it up so usb puppy reverse tunnells through an eth0 connection to my server so I can restore a botched hard disk. I am protecting against a Ubuntu upgrade freezing the machine. I've been using ubuntu for years and once had an obscure graphics card it didn't like. I can update it with abandon knowing puppy will rescue me.
Thanks for the pet's I'm using puppy Lupu so thats a bonus.
Wow - just downloaded your pet. Looks fantastic. Thanks again