bring back puppy 431.

Using applications, configuring, problems
tlchost

#46 Post by tlchost »

The only thing lacking as far as I remember it was that xvesa needed fixing.
And for those of us who have video cards/chips that require xvesa, the lack of support makes this version a no-starter.

vtpup

#47 Post by vtpup »

Exactly why I'd like to see it fixed and finished. That's the point.

tlchost

#48 Post by tlchost »

vtpup wrote:Exactly why I'd like to see it fixed and finished. That's the point.
I had hoped that someone who had the skills(I do not) would step up to plate and fix it. It appears that all too often the Puppy devs abandon their creations at the point they are close to "working out of the box".

I kid BigMike``, the creator of Bruno and ThinkLinux that there are so few posts about them because they do work out of the box....but perhaps many Puppy users would rather fiddle and diddle with the OS, rather than use it for computational chores.

vtpup

#49 Post by vtpup »

The most important feature of an operating system is that it has a future.
[color=darkblue]Acer Aspire 5349-2635 laptop Tahrpup.[/color]
[color=blue]Acer R11 and C720 Chromebks Bionicpup64[/color]
[color=olive]Acer Iconia A1-830 tablet no pup[/color]
[color=orange]www.sredmond.com[/color]

nooby

#50 Post by nooby »

It sure make sense to take up that general Puppy 431 has abandon the new computers.

If Jemimah and Pemasu and others are able to use Puppy 431 on my Computer then that is very relevant due to Acer being one of the more common computer AFAIK they also has Packard Bell and them are well sold too. So it is not only relevant it is right on.

Sure you could plug for Puppy 431 if you add the warning that it should not be tried on some of the Acer computers with small screen and ATOM CPU

But I can set this thread to not follow but I am not off topic I am right on.

PS I did set it on not follow now So you have to PM me if you want to add something that I can read.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

James C

#51 Post by James C »

I've been running 4.31 as the "stable" install on my old P3 test box since it was released. I haven't had any trouble upgrading any packages I wanted. Right now this install has Firefox 4.0, SeaMonkey 2.0.13 and Opera 11.10.... and PuppyBrowser still works too. :)
Don't run 4.31 all the time because I'm testing , but it works when I need it too. Solid as a rock.

Since they were mentioned too, I run 4.32 v3 on my main Linux box and since I don't need xvesa it's been solid as well. I do use it every day.

Guess we'll see where this goes....

scsijon

#52 Post by scsijon »

remember folks,

that although whodo (warren) "wrangled" 431 he did it for barryK as barry wanted to branch off from puppy and "retire".

214X is still allive and running because ttuuxxxx has been willing to keep its control.

IF, someone is willing to take 431 to the next step, I'm sure there will be some help around, but realize you will need to comitt to at least a year to 18 months breathing, thinking and dreaming puppy.

Can be done as all those involved in the various puppies out there can testify.

regards
scsijon

ICPUG

#53 Post by ICPUG »

scsijon,

whodo "wrangled" 4.2.1 NOT 4.3.1.

Barry was back in charge of 4.3.1

Dewbie

#54 Post by Dewbie »

James C wrote:
I haven't had any trouble upgrading any packages I wanted.
Will the LuPu packages install in 4.3.1 as is, or did you modify them?

James C

#55 Post by James C »

Dewbie wrote:James C wrote:
I haven't had any trouble upgrading any packages I wanted.
Will the LuPu packages install in 4.3.1 as is, or did you modify them?
I haven't really tried any Lucid Puppy packages in 4.31,though I suspect some would work.I'm cautious, if there's a pet I'm not sure will work I usually grab the trusty cd,boot pfix=ram and find out. If it works it goes into the install,if not Puppy is running in ram and nothing is messed up.

I generally grab the plain deb,usually do a little tweaking to get the menu correct, and make a pet.Just made a pet of SeaMonkey 2.0.13 out of the tar.bz2 from their site.

HiDeHo

#56 Post by HiDeHo »

thansk for all the input on my forum post. adn thanks ttuuxxx for making a start on it.

dont forget that my main idea of wanting to update puppy 431 si that is works on older adn newer computer alike. if that coudl be maintained with future releases then it woudl be great.

i do understand that eventually puppy 431 woudl need soem updates to run on newer computers ut atm i have tried it on a wide variety dn no problems so far

Dewbie

#57 Post by Dewbie »

HiDeHo wrote:
dont forget that my main idea of wanting to update puppy 431 (is) that is works on older (and) newer computer(s) alike.
Wary was designed specifically for this, and BarryK has built an alternate version of Wary 5.1.1 (the latest) with kernel 2.6.30.5 (the 4.3.1 kernel).
He did not offer this kernel with previous Warys, and he might not do it in the future.
You can get it here.

HiDeHo

#58 Post by HiDeHo »

Dewbie wrote:HiDeHo wrote:
dont forget that my main idea of wanting to update puppy 431 (is) that is works on older (and) newer computer(s) alike.
Wary was designed specifically for this, and BarryK has built an alternate version of Wary 5.1.1 (the latest) with kernel 2.6.30.5 (the 4.3.1 kernel).
He did not offer this kernel with previous Warys, and he might not do it in the future.
You can get it here.
Wary is and will probably always be for older computers. that is what it is designed to be.
That is y i wanted an bug fixed version of 431.

HiDeHo

#59 Post by HiDeHo »

I still think That whoever does decide to take on such a project with Bug fixes and allowing for newer apps to be installed. a pet that updates bug fixes sounds the best option. can someone who may know if it is possibl let us know adn also start work on such a thing. then anyone with teh origional 431 or 431 baised pup can install a pet and have teh fixes etc.

Dewbie

#60 Post by Dewbie »

HiDeHo wrote:
Wary is and will probably always be for older computers.
"Older" is a relative term.
BarryK wrote:
I do expect that Wary will run fine on PCs a couple of years old, say built in 2008 or earlier.

HiDeHo

#61 Post by HiDeHo »

Dewbie wrote:BarryK wrote:
I do expect that Wary will run fine on PCs a couple of years old, say built in 2008 or earlier.
yes Barry did say that and wary was made for older computers as i said.and lupu is for newer computers.
431 is still a multi os version. can run on alot ofnew and older computers alike.

HiDeHo

#62 Post by HiDeHo »

Whats happening on any development mentioned that was started. if you are not going to be doing anything then its OK.

8-bit

#63 Post by 8-bit »

HiDeHo,

There is evidently more than one working on an updated Puppy 431.
I found one on the forum here.

It has a lot of updates and changes.

Bligh

#64 Post by Bligh »

Puppy 4.32v3 looks good so far. It is on the forum under announcements.
Cheers

cthisbear

#65 Post by cthisbear »

Kinda Lucid Puppy 006.

Yes 8-bit...a fab Puppy.

I wrote about it here regarding wireless and most Puppies.

Iguleder has shown everyone up.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57371

::::

Working wireless.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67859

Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Sun 27 May 2012, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.