bring back puppy 431.

Using applications, configuring, problems
HiDeHo

#61 Post by HiDeHo »

Dewbie wrote:BarryK wrote:
I do expect that Wary will run fine on PCs a couple of years old, say built in 2008 or earlier.
yes Barry did say that and wary was made for older computers as i said.and lupu is for newer computers.
431 is still a multi os version. can run on alot ofnew and older computers alike.

HiDeHo

#62 Post by HiDeHo »

Whats happening on any development mentioned that was started. if you are not going to be doing anything then its OK.

8-bit

#63 Post by 8-bit »

HiDeHo,

There is evidently more than one working on an updated Puppy 431.
I found one on the forum here.

It has a lot of updates and changes.

Bligh

#64 Post by Bligh »

Puppy 4.32v3 looks good so far. It is on the forum under announcements.
Cheers

cthisbear

#65 Post by cthisbear »

Kinda Lucid Puppy 006.

Yes 8-bit...a fab Puppy.

I wrote about it here regarding wireless and most Puppies.

Iguleder has shown everyone up.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57371

::::

Working wireless.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67859

Chris.
Last edited by cthisbear on Sun 27 May 2012, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

tatamata

pet software repository

#66 Post by tatamata »

I am more than happy fluppy013 user, but searching for additional PETS is pain.
All I need is central place for finding adequate 4.3.x PETS, a central PETs repository for 4.3.x branch.

Dewbie

#67 Post by Dewbie »

I posted a link on page 1 of this thread for a repository of 4.3.x .pets.

HiDeHo

#68 Post by HiDeHo »

Bligh wrote:Puppy 4.32v3 looks good so far. It is on the forum under announcements.
Cheers
there is already some talk about the puppy 432 in this topic. did you read it. seems 432 is dead

HiDeHo

Re: pet software repository

#69 Post by HiDeHo »

tatamata wrote:I am more than happy fluppy013 user, but searching for additional PETS is pain.
All I need is central place for finding adequate 4.3.x PETS, a central PETs repository for 4.3.x branch.
most 4.3 pets will not work on fluppy adn it has been updated with newer libs dn other things for newer apps os its origional 431 bais in no longer existant. jist dop some searching around the forums an you will find some 431 pets around. also use the standard puppy search engine that comes in your web browser usually as one of the defaule links. for puppy linux

nooby

#70 Post by nooby »

KLP did not boot so I added nosmp but that did not boot it either
so I added nolapic and that boot it but it got into kernel panic at modules for screens and such so I added this

i915.modeset=1 which allowed it to boot without getting into trouble later

title klp i915.modeset=1 1024x600
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /klp/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=klp puppy i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck
initrd /klp/initrd.gz

But it failed to get internet.

Don't get me wrong now. I am a fan of Iguleder he is an interesting contributer to puppy varieties.

But both Porteus and TCL just works on my Acer D250. and Knoppix just did work too.

I mean what is so extraordinary with them that they beat Puppy that way?

So I am very happy that Jemimah made her Puppeee and then added Fluppy with all the knowledge she learned from making Puppeee and including that in Fluppy and then pemasu used that knowledge and made Snowpu and Icepup andthem just works too.

So sorry something is lacking in 431
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

HiDeHo

#71 Post by HiDeHo »

cthisbear wrote:Kinda Lucid Puppy 006.

Yes 8-bit...a fab Puppy.

I wrote about it here regarding wireless and most Puppies.

Iguleder has shown everyone up.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=67859

Chris.
this link now points to another different post where did the original go

HiDeHo

#72 Post by HiDeHo »

nooby wrote:KLP did not boot so I added nosmp but that did not boot it either
so I added nolapic and that boot it but it got into kernel panic at modules for screens and such so I added this

i915.modeset=1 which allowed it to boot without getting into trouble later

title klp i915.modeset=1 1024x600
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /klp/vmlinuz pmedia=scsihd pdev1=sda3 psubdir=klp puppy i915.modeset=1 nosmp pfix=fsck
initrd /klp/initrd.gz

But it failed to get internet.

Don't get me wrong now. I am a fan of Iguleder he is an interesting contributer to puppy varieties.

But both Porteus and TCL just works on my Acer D250. and Knoppix just did work too.

I mean what is so extraordinary with them that they beat Puppy that way?

So I am very happy that Jemimah made her Puppeee and then added Fluppy with all the knowledge she learned from making Puppeee and including that in Fluppy and then pemasu used that knowledge and made Snowpu and Icepup andthem just works too.

So sorry something is lacking in 431
with puppy there may be many reasons as to why you get the errors. could be that the puplet did not download properly (run md5sum and verify with one provided at download site), to the cd might have been burned at incorect speed. (it pays to burn at the slowest you can) or it could be you computer. i suggest you go back to the original site for klp http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 60&t=57371 and post about it there if ou have not already done so.

cthisbear

#73 Post by cthisbear »

And in that link there is another.

" Today I saw this >> Kinda Lucid Puppy 006

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57371

" To sum up, Kinda Lucid Puppy is a "generic" puplet that offers
all traditional Puppy stuff and sticks with Puppy tradition of
small size and home-made applications, while providing a better
usage experience. "

Maybe I was busy at the time...but what a gem. "

////////

And quite honestly i don't know what nooby manages to do
but he is the unluckiest man in Linux.

Chris.

nooby

#74 Post by nooby »

Well first things first.

1. Location. Nooby lives in Sweden and only buy from local retail stores so he get the machines them think they can sell.

HP/Compaq Desktop, AOpen Barebone , Packard Bell, Acer Netbook, HP/Compaq Desktop again, Acer Netbook again.

Those are my computers. Those most used are the AOpen Barebone and Acer Netbook. Both use Intel Chips and Broadcom chips so that explains why it fails for Nooby and him the most unlyck linux user north of Paris Europe :)

2. Nooby only do frugal install on NTFS and some linux guys hates anything coming from the NTFS gang. As simple as that.

3. Nooby is a very confused guys that have a span of attention no more than a few seconds and then he has no idea what he was doing prior to waking up from the inner native haze.

I trust KLP works very well on the HP/Compaq Desktop but that one has a fan that is too noisy for the spoiled Nooby. He can't stand the fan noise.

Béèm
Location: Brussels IBM Thinkpad R40, 256MB, 20GB, WiFi ipw2100. Frugal Lin'N'Win

#75 Post by Béèm »

nooby wrote:I trust KLP works very well on the HP/Compaq Desktop but that one has a fan that is too noisy for the spoiled Nooby. He can't stand the fan noise.
You could use a watercooled PC
Time savers:
Find packages in a snap and install using Puppy Package Manager (Menu).
[url=http://puppylinux.org/wikka/HomePage]Consult Wikka[/url]
Use peppyy's [url=http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html]puppysearch[/url]

nooby

#76 Post by nooby »

Water cooled Puppy Computer sounds cool indeed :)

One thing I wonder about is this.

Now when we have a tool that can change kernel to a newer one but reuse the the way a puppy is set up? Then I can take any Puppy even Puppy 431 and give it a kernel that works good with my Atheros LAN card and that way to not depend on what kernel that the original Dev used?

Take Pupngo that use a too old kernel. One could make it use the latest kernel instead?

HiDeHo

#77 Post by HiDeHo »

Hi Iguleder Another thing i am wondering is will KLP be versatile able to run on older and newer computers alike. its just that i am creating a puplet that i want to reach as wider variety of people as possible. i remember in its day when it was the current puppy that 431 was great like that.

if i can have this and ability for modern apps and things it would be great.

Dewbie

#78 Post by Dewbie »

From James C:
Lucid 525 Retro-2.6.30.5
A manual rebuilding of Lucid 525 with the 2.6.30.5 kernel and drivers from the reliable Puppy 4.31.This release is a little larger due to including all of the 4.31 drivers...in particular there are lots of analog modem drivers included. Should be good for those users on dial-up...This should provide all the hardware compatibility (and extra drivers) and stability from Puppy 4.31 combined with all of the new up-to-date applications from Lucid 525.
You can get it here.

Wally
Location: Heaven, Dell X1:NO HDD, NO CD, NO FAN Pup 4.3.1 USB Boot............................ {RAP SUCKS!}

#79 Post by Wally »

i think a re-release of 431 with Audacity built-in would be good.

and throw Jackbeat in there, too.

and trim some fat away, like lesser used apps, like have only 1 calculator, or something oh and Gimp built-in would be good too.

Remember, it's all in a name.

Give a dog a bad name and you may as well hang him

4.3.1 is why i choose it over 'Lucid'

disciple

#80 Post by disciple »

and trim some fat away, like lesser used apps, like have only 1 calculator
Have you seen how incredibly tiny things like the calculators are? That won't achieve anything.
On the other hand, Audacity and Gimp ARE fat. Personally I always have them, but most people wouldn't use Audacity, and quite a lot of people wouldn't use Gimp. What is wrong with installing them if you need them?
4.3.1 is why i choose it over 'Lucid'
Saying things like that will make people think you aren't at all serious - just trolling.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER