What would Puppy do with a million dollars?

Puppy related raves and general interest that doesn't fit anywhere else
Brian C

What would Puppy do with a million dollars?

#1 Post by Brian C »

Pureley out of curiosity, supposing someone came out of the blue and gave the Puppy project a million dollars. How would it be spent?

dominic

#2 Post by dominic »

i suppose the bonus of working with anything linux related is that normally, money doesn't have an influence.

Brian C

#3 Post by Brian C »

It has some influence. Donated money often goes towards bandwidth, hiring programmers, etc...

Ted Dog

web designer, T-shirts

#4 Post by Ted Dog »

I'd hire someone with graphic/web skills to overhaul help index, Puppy sites, server farms, equipment for testing, developing, bringing true highspeed to the barren WA. Have paid annual meeting in some nice places, get T-shirts, coffee mugs for the regulars (or iregulars like lobster)

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Puppy Linux Foundation Meetings

Next meeting:
Date: 11 March 2006 at 22:00 UTC

You can bring up our spending here
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/FoundationMeetings
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

rarsa

#6 Post by rarsa »

When I saw the subject of the post I thought 'well, nothing would change'.

I think that money offered without a clear purpose would actually create tension as people would have different ideas on how to use it.

Would puppy benefit from a Megabuck? I am not sure. It may even make it collapse.

Having said that:
- Does Barry benefit from more test hardware?
- Could a more robust packaging system be implemented?
- Could donated dotpups be normalized, 'certified' and moved to the official packaging system?
- Would barry welcome full-time help from one of those extremelly bright 'summer of code' students?

Once I read that one test for happiness was to honestly imagine what would you do if you won the lottery. Your first thought would clearly indicate if you are happy as you are and in most cases it will also indicate what you need to do to be happy. In most cases is quite achievable without winning the lotery (quiting your job, working less and spend more time with your family, go to live to a desert island, etc).

This thought came about in this thread because I think that none of the things that would really benefit Puppy require a million dollars.

Actually, I am starting to think that the purpose of the question is to make people reflect on what are the priorities for Puppy.

So, keep the suggestions comming, we may find that most of them can be done without the million.

We can use the million to send all puppy user's to a party bash at Barry's house ;).
[url]http://rarsa.blogspot.com[/url] Covering my eclectic thoughts
[url]http://www.kwlug.org/blog/48[/url] Covering my Linux How-to

Sage

#7 Post by Sage »

Fortunately, folk visiting this forum are enlightened geeks seeking wisdom and enjoyment. Sadly, there is one nation that is brainwashed from birth to worship at the shrine of Mammon. Ultimately, capitalism becomes self-defeating - it cannot survive, it is doomed. That is not a political comment, more a socio-scientific analysis of reality.
A new study has, this week, confirmed that altruism is genetically hard-wired, so there really is hope for homo sapiens. Everyone with young families will recognise how keen infants are to 'help' others, especially those more obviously displaying needs. It now transpires that this attribute extends to many simeons.
Such a shame that UK academics have voted to strike for more pay. I can still remember the days when academics worked in academia because they enjoyed it.
A million bucks? I suggest giving it to GWB. But, perhaps not quite in the way or part of his anatomy he might prefer.....

raffy

Enthusiasm

#8 Post by raffy »

Maybe this picture can help explain why the community is here:

Find it here, where it says: We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements in life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. - Charles Kingsley

But money could be useful for insurance and scholarship...

BarryK
Puppy Master

#9 Post by BarryK »

Personally, I wouldn't know what to do with a million bucks, but I do have a wishlist, that would cost considerably less.
I'm not old enough to get my superannuation (another 4 years), not working, so have to do small part-time jobs to pay the bills (I get help from Centrelink too (social security))-- it would be good to do nothing but work on Puppy.
I need a new car :)
Oh yeah, computer hardware, need a lot more stuff to test on. It would be good to have an unlimited bugget for hardware, if someone reports difficulty with xyz SATA drive or abc drawing tablet, I just go and buy it.
A super high speed unlimited web host, dedicated server.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#10 Post by Lobster »

Click on donations here to make Barry a millionaire
At the current rate of donations I estimate his first million will be in 3006CE

http://www.puppylinux.com/download/downpage.htm
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

dewdrop

IF Puppy had $1,000,000.00

#11 Post by dewdrop »

Hi,

Notice in Barry's post, he said nothing about moving out of the boondocks.

dewdrop

Pizzasgood

#12 Post by Pizzasgood »

Little Big Town wrote:Give me a tin roof
A front porch and a gravel road
And that's home to me
It feels like home to me

I feel no shame
I'm proud of where I came from
I was born and raised in the boondocks
One thing I know
No matter where I go
I keep my heart and soul in the boondocks
---Little Big Town

If I had a million dollars, I'd use it to pay for college first, give a good bit to my family, donate some to Barry, then to go on a roller coaster tour. Appearanly I am suffering from adrenaline withdrawl.

Someday in the distant future I'll have a job. Then maybe I'll be able to donate. Maybe someday in the more distant future I'll be "rich." Then I'll donate more. Maybe someday I'll be rich enough to not need to work any longer. Then I'll dedicate myself to doing whatever I like, whether helping Puppy (or linux in general), building "go-carts" (think motorcycle crossed with go cart that goes FAST), snowboarding, or whatever other random thought enters my scattered brain.
[size=75]Between depriving a man of one hour from his life and depriving him of his life there exists only a difference of degree. --Muad'Dib[/size]
[img]http://www.browserloadofcoolness.com/sig.png[/img]

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: IF Puppy had $1,000,000.00

#13 Post by BarryK »

dewdrop wrote: Notice in Barry's post, he said nothing about moving out of the boondocks.
Yeah that's right!
Also, my post wasn't intended as an indirect soliciting for more donations!
Having enough for one's needs is fine, but too much is just a headache --
when I get my super, it will be a cash lump sum, and strangely enough I'm
not looking forward to it.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#14 Post by Lobster »

Barry I know you don't solicit for money - that is why I put in the donation link. In fact if anything you find ways to spend money on Puppy, offer to pay for hosting etc etc. :)

The lump sum is easily spent on a car, lap top, satellite internet connection or the weekly beer budget. Or you can send it to my Swiss bank account . . . Hope I haven't embarrassed anyone except myself :oops:
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

Sage

#15 Post by Sage »

Barry - you have more than anyone could give you. Intellect, dedication, millions of friends and world recognition. It is better to give than receive, and you have already given us more than we could ask for. Too many miserable, lonely millionaires floating around the world on ill-gotten yatchs ripped off from milking the proletariat! Retirement is not so bad. It brings a bus pass (perhaps not a great asset in the Oz bushlands, though) and the luxury of telling the creeps who make life difficult exactly what you think of them!! You can shop at the charity shop for clothes and cut your hair when you choose, if at all.
There, now - don't you feel better already?!

PS Are you still driving on the correct side of the road?! I have a car - you are welcome to it!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#16 Post by BarryK »

Yes, we still drive on the left!

There is a bus that passes near my place, twice a week. On one day it heads down to our capital city, Perth, another day of the week it comes back.
There is even a bus stop, which is marked on the bus companies map, except
that nobody has used it for 20 years. The bus normally stops at Perenjori, my
local town. One day I should wait at my own bus stop and stick my hand out when the bus comes.

So yeah, I will be able to use my pensioner card to get a discount, could go to Perth, do all my shopping, but I think the bus goes down on Monday, comes back on Friday, so I would have to live off the relatives for a for days.
Yeah, it's great, much more fun than being rich!

Sage

#17 Post by Sage »

Deepest sympathies!
Things aren't a lot better in rural Britain after successive waves of asset-stripping and dismantling of public services by the wicked forces of capitalism, notably Beeching in the 60's and especially Maggie in the 80's. Now Blair is trying to turn us into a cruel facist dictatorship like the USA! Even our Queen has escaped to Oz.
Only suggestion I can come up with is to vote Communist and hope to stem apathy, corruption and Stalinistic megalomania that tore apart the Soviet Union. With a few reservations, little ol' Cuba has been able to do remarkably well - best healthcare in the world, despite the illegal blockade, and favourite holiday destination of Brits by a large margin.
The Victorians tried to put things right by great works of engineering, public transport systems, health and welfare benefits. Now we are beset with self-seeking moronic politicians with their snouts in the trough trying to destroy these edifices. They were elected on false promises of 'something for nothing' in the form of lower taxes, and now we are reaping the rewards of their 'nothing' rather than 'something'.
Time for electorates to get wise and realise the real cost of running an advanced civilisation. Taxes in the developed world need to triple, if not more, so that great people like Barry can take the bus any hour of every day to get his shopping and upload his masterpieces to liberate the world from their gates of bondage; or, perhaps, bondage of Gates?!