glibc upgrade

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
darry1966

#31 Post by darry1966 »

on Puppy 4.12 I downloaded libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb and using deb2pet converted it to a .pet and have only had VLC grumble about not being able to set locale otherwise everything works especailly what I wanted Opera 12.15 with flash.

darry1966

Glibc upgrade

#32 Post by darry1966 »

Whoops has stuffed up pmount but can still mount by clicking on desktop icon of usb drive. Back to the drawing board.

watchdog

#33 Post by watchdog »

darry1966 wrote:on Puppy 4.12 I downloaded libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb and using deb2pet converted it to a .pet and have only had VLC grumble about not being able to set locale otherwise everything works especailly what I wanted Opera 12.15 with flash.
About locale I have solved in wary 5.5 putting at the end of /etc/profile

Code: Select all

export LC_ALL=C

darry1966

Pmount and Glibc 2.11

#34 Post by darry1966 »

O.S. puppy linux 4.12.

Does anybody know why when installing Glibc 2.11 and 2.11 Glibc-bin that you can mount drives from the desktop. However mounting from Pmount proper (That is not clicking desktop icon - it dies??????).

Also is there a fix for this????????? anyone ???????

Dewbie

#35 Post by Dewbie »

(See amigo's warning earlier in this thread.)
With 4.1.2, Glibc 2.11 also causes usb-drive icons to pile up in the corner and breaks sGmixer.

However, the benefits still outweigh the costs...at least so far. 8)

darry1966

Post deleted

#36 Post by darry1966 »

Post deleted
Last edited by darry1966 on Tue 09 Jul 2013, 01:54, edited 1 time in total.

nic007

#37 Post by nic007 »

Hi, Darry. I'm interested to know why you are updating the libraries in Puppy 4.12? Is this to update the standard programs of puppy too? I'm also using my own puplet based on 4.12 but keep with some of the programs as released for that version (although I'm also using themes/icons from later puppy versions to brighten things up). Personally, I think it's not worthwhile to update the basic programs that comes with puppy to newer versions as I find that there are minimal differences in functionality. The newer releases of Abiword and Seamonkey are probably better but then I'm not using either of them. I use Opera and Opera Mini and wine to run may favourite windows programs that I feel are better than those provided with puppy). IF you want to use the latest versions of programs , it would probably be better to go with the latest release of puppy and perhaps one with a retro kernel.

darry1966

Reply to Nic007

#38 Post by darry1966 »

nic007 wrote:Hi, Darry. I'm interested to know why you are updating the libraries in Puppy 4.12? Is this to update the standard programs of puppy too? I'm also using my own puplet based on 4.12 but keep with some of the programs as released for that version (although I'm also using themes/icons from later puppy versions to brighten things up). Personally, I think it's not worthwhile to update the basic programs that comes with puppy to newer versions as I find that there are minimal differences in functionality. The newer releases of Abiword and Seamonkey are probably better but then I'm not using either of them. I use Opera and Opera Mini and wine to run may favourite windows programs that I feel are better than those provided with puppy). IF you want to use the latest versions of programs , it would probably be better to go with the latest release of puppy and perhaps one with a retro kernel.
1. 4.12 on my machine as a base uses less ram and is faster and reponsive.

2. I have updated Pmount to solve the glibc 2.11 update problem (Breaks Pmount) and yes I do agree there are older versions of programs I use which work just as well and as you say may be better an example my older version of Audacious which does everything the later ones do.

However there are programs which I want to run and keep my faster system which require some updated libraries so in other words have your cake and eat to and also some people like the pre-woof builds better on their old hardware or even newer hardware.

I also prefer the simplicity of the package manager from the 4.12 era I have far less problems with it.

So in short I wish to provide longevity to the 4.12/4.21 series as an alternative to Wary for older kit. If you wish to stick to older software then thats fine its all about choice and if any of my updates etc is adopted in later Puppies then so be it, but again my focus is legacy (Steam Computing) hardware.

Provide more programs for 4.12/4.21 such as a version of Audacious which actually runs well as I always had problems with versions in the forums.

Updates do bring improvements in some cases such as ffmpeg update and xine-lib from shinobar which allow better playback of video and probably more codecs.

As I have stated before I don't believe that Precise is the answer and I wish that T2 would work out for this purpose.
Last edited by darry1966 on Tue 09 Jul 2013, 00:53, edited 1 time in total.

darry1966

Reply to Dewbie

#39 Post by darry1966 »

Dewbie wrote:(See amigo's warning earlier in this thread.)
With 4.1.2, Glibc 2.11 also causes usb-drive icons to pile up in the corner and breaks sGmixer.

However, the benefits still outweigh the costs...at least so far. 8)
I haven't noticed the above odd behaviours as quoted. Tried SGMixer and it seems fine and icons also seem fine so I am at a loss as to that observation, but as you say more positive than negative with regards this upgrade. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :D :D :D

darry1966

Heh Fellas try this to fix Pmount and locale problem

#40 Post by darry1966 »

watchdog wrote:
darry1966 wrote:on Puppy 4.12 I downloaded libc6_2.11.3-4_i386.deb and using deb2pet converted it to a .pet and have only had VLC grumble about not being able to set locale otherwise everything works especailly what I wanted Opera 12.15 with flash.
About locale I have solved in wary 5.5 putting at the end of /etc/profile

export LC_ALL=C
Try placing the above before before the xwin line in /etc/profile.

Try with and without my new pmount
Attachments
Pmount.tar.gz
(7.53 KiB) Downloaded 501 times

Dewbie

#41 Post by Dewbie »

Pmount is fully functional with libc6_2.11.2-10_i386 installed in Puppy Linux 3.01.

Pmount will only launch--but not mount--with this libc installed in Puppy Linux 4.12 and 4.31.

So I've tested the 3.01 Pmount shell script with 4.12 and 4.31 (and this libc).
Everything works fine...at least so far...:shock:

Attached:
Pmount shell script from Puppy Linux 3.01.
(Updated 12/20/2013: now a .pet.
)
Attachments
pmount-301.pet
(7.1 KiB) Downloaded 428 times
Last edited by Dewbie on Fri 20 Dec 2013, 18:10, edited 1 time in total.

watchdog

#42 Post by watchdog »

Dewbie wrote: Pmount will only launch--but not mount--with this libc installed in Puppy Linux 4.12 and 4.31.
After glibc upgrade in puppy 4.31 pmount works if you run it in terminal with not fatal errors. I have edited /usr/share/applications/Pmount-mount-unmount-drives.desktop in this way:

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=Pmount mount/unmount drives
Icon=mini-diskette.xpm
Comment=Pmount mount/unmount drives
Exec=rxvt -e pmount
Terminal=true
Type=Application
Categories=X-FilesystemMount
GenericName=Pmount mount/unmount drives
Run fixmenus after the changes. Now pmount will work.

Dewbie

#43 Post by Dewbie »

watchdog's fix (above) also works with 4.12. :)

simargl

Re: Reply to Nic007

#44 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

Dewbie

#45 Post by Dewbie »

simargl wrote:
Why don't you give a try to other newer Puppy versions if you think that Precise is slow or too big.
Some of us like playing with the old stuff to keep it going.
(and to see what we can get away with... :twisted: )
And you can find smaller distributions than are easier to use than Puppy, for example Slitaz
"Easier" is a relative term, since you would have to start out again as a beginner...

simargl

#46 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:24, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#47 Post by bark_bark_bark »

Slitaz can't be the lite Arch Linux, as Arch Linux is crap, unstable, bloated, and uses systemd (which is bloatware itself).

Slitaz, at least doesn't require your system to break when a major upgrade is done (but Arch does).

simargl

#48 Post by simargl »

Last edited by simargl on Sun 01 Sep 2013, 15:23, edited 1 time in total.

bark_bark_bark

#49 Post by bark_bark_bark »

@simargl

Maybe rather than being a troll here and f***ing up the forum saying how puppy linux is shit and attacking those who say they have problems with your alphaOS, maybe you can be constructive. This is why forums are set up.

Now don't get me wrong alphaOS is okay, but you you don't take kindly to suggestions. A common request that is made is support for broadcom BCM4313 and you completely ignore them. A good developer would take into consideration of those with very good suggestions.

PS: For those with broadcom, the only to get it to work in alphaOS is to switch the alphaOS kernel with one from Precise/Slacko, which does take some work.

PS 2: I sense that another user "rivalry" is coming. There is already one with gcmartin vs. Q5sys. I don't want one to start but sadly trolls are a cancer that infect every community and they have to deal with that from time to time.

Dewbie

#50 Post by Dewbie »

Back to glibc upgrade discussion...(I hope)...:|