Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v004

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stu90

#106 Post by stu90 »

James C wrote:Fresh manual frugal install of the latest Lucid lite 003 W/2.6.38.4.

Initial boot, booted directly to a prompt.Ran xorgwizard and got desired 1024x768 resolution..
No internet at boot either, ran Network Wizard and acquired connection (wired dsl).Persistent after reboot.
As you probably guessed by now, no sound on initial boot either.Ran Alsawizard and got it working but on reboot no sound again.Just got it working again and rebooting now. OK, sound is working on the second reboot. :) Everything is now working, just took a little tweaking.

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 512MB (61MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 06 May 2011 12:59:33 AM CDT
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5

VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Multimedia audio controller Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.38.4 (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 5 16:33:08 GMT-8 2011
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.52
Hi James C,
Blimey that doesn't sound good :shock:
i don't think it would be new sound fix causing it, i don't know, i haven't encountered any of these problems with my frugal installs - maybe i need to do a rebuild of 003?
You probably already tried but can you check to make sure md5 match.
392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6
thanks.

Oops in trouble now.
Just been round to my parents house to see if 003 would run on some computer other than my own .
Good news. on my mothers windows 7 laptop duel core, 3 gig ram nvida booted to desktop, sound etc ok.
Bad news. as i was waiting for 003 to boot i was playing with one of the dogs who got a bit lively did a 360 spin and smashed into the fireguard sending it shooting along the hearth smashing my mothers ornaments and candle holders. :shock: only surviver is a candle holder i broke in the past then super glued back together with out her knowing :lol:

James C

#107 Post by James C »

stu90 wrote:
James C wrote:Fresh manual frugal install of the latest Lucid lite 003 W/2.6.38.4.

Initial boot, booted directly to a prompt.Ran xorgwizard and got desired 1024x768 resolution..
No internet at boot either, ran Network Wizard and acquired connection (wired dsl).Persistent after reboot.
As you probably guessed by now, no sound on initial boot either.Ran Alsawizard and got it working but on reboot no sound again.Just got it working again and rebooting now. OK, sound is working on the second reboot. :) Everything is now working, just took a little tweaking.

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 512MB (61MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 06 May 2011 12:59:33 AM CDT
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5

VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Multimedia audio controller Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.38.4 (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 5 16:33:08 GMT-8 2011
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.52
Hi James C,
Blimey that doesn't sound good :shock:
i don't think it would be new sound fix causing it, i don't know, i haven't encountered any of these problems with my frugal installs - maybe i need to do a rebuild of 003?
You probably already tried but can you check to make sure md5 match.
392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6
thanks.

Oops in trouble now.
Just been round to my parents house to see if 003 would run on some computer other than my own .
Good news. on my mothers windows 7 laptop duel core, 3 gig ram nvida booted to desktop, sound etc ok.
Bad news. as i was waiting for 003 to boot i was playing with one of the dogs who got a bit lively did a 360 spin and smashed into the fireguard sending it shooting along the hearth smashing my mothers ornaments and candle holders. :shock: only surviver is a candle holder i broke in the past then super glued back together with out her knowing :lol:

MD5 here is 392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6 so that's verified.

Just to make sure everything copied correctly, I'll redo the install a bit later and update the progress.

James C

#108 Post by James C »

Just to double check everything, I re-downloaded, re-checked the MD5 and re-installed. Exactly the same results. No internet or sound on boot.

Got everything working again but no sound icon in taskbar.Watching a fullscreen Youtube video right now.No problem.

James C

#109 Post by James C »

For some reason Lucid 525 has sound problems with these new kernels.Playdayz built a test release with EZ Woof and had sound problems.I manually changed the kernel,modules .etc. in 525 and had, you guessed it, sound problems. :)

Isn't experimenting with new kernels fun..... :lol:

EDIT: Sound icon in taskbar came back when I rebooted.

stu90

#110 Post by stu90 »

Hi James C thank you for testing again.

I guess something must have gone wrong in 003 so i wanted to change as little as possible for this time - this upload is a standard 525 with nothing stripped out.
Only changes are made with EZ-woof - using Pemasu's 2.6.38.4 lupe-19 kernel, alsa mod, different theme and wallpaper.

http://smokey01.com/stu90/lupu-525.iso
md5: 856321429f53430739fe91efc7f42584

cheers.

Iguleder

#111 Post by Iguleder »

I'm currently compiling a tweaked 2.6.38.5 with BFS and some other tweaks, would you like me to upload it? I'm trying to make a 5.2.5 with this kernel so I can replace my current OS (my own spup remix, Teh Gray Puppy) with it, since Lupu's 2.6.33 is too old for my netbook.

This kernel has BFS, latest Aufs, a limit of 3 terminals instead of 8 (saves some memory), a scheduler tweak taken from -ck3 and tons of drivers. It also has Squashfs support for both LZO and XZ, which I'm going to try out now - I'm going to build my tweaked 5.2.5 with XZ compression. 8)
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

James C

#112 Post by James C »

stu90 wrote:Hi James C thank you for testing again.

I guess something must have gone wrong in 003 so i wanted to change as little as possible for this time - this upload is a standard 525 with nothing stripped out.
Only changes are made with EZ-woof - using Pemasu's 2.6.38.4 lupe-19 kernel, alsa mod, different theme and wallpaper.

http://smokey01.com/stu90/lupu-525.iso
md5: 856321429f53430739fe91efc7f42584

cheers.
Downloading right now......but since it's after 2 am not testing till I get some sleep. :)

James C

#113 Post by James C »

Iguleder wrote:I'm currently compiling a tweaked 2.6.38.5 with BFS and some other tweaks, would you like me to upload it? I'm trying to make a 5.2.5 with this kernel so I can replace my current OS (my own spup remix, Teh Gray Puppy) with it, since Lupu's 2.6.33 is too old for my netbook.

This kernel has BFS, latest Aufs, a limit of 3 terminals instead of 8 (saves some memory), a scheduler tweak taken from -ck3 and tons of drivers. It also has Squashfs support for both LZO and XZ, which I'm going to try out now - I'm going to build my tweaked 5.2.5 with XZ compression. 8)
Several of us are testing these new kernels, and I'd like to try your new build so you might as well upload it and get some free testing. :)
You've always done good work so looking forward to trying it.

nooby

#114 Post by nooby »

Stu I am back and it behaved as the 526 did yesterday in that sound was loud as should be 100% and xorg did not start on its own and xwin did not start either. Apart from that it appears to behave like what pemasu has on his experiments too.

On my gear it refuse to show temperature sensor. I maybe should activate it in Terminal and I do have that in Notes somewhere but I am lazy just now.

What else should I test on it? oops I am using Seaside's SFS-Exec now I test if it allow me to uninstall the Firefox I loaded Yes looks normal to me which it did not in latest Wary but that one is still highly experimental.

So wish I knew more on how to help you solve this thing with xorg and xwin not starting normally.

Maybe Acer D250 is a very unusual beast. it uses Intel 945 chips and them are known to be problematic are they not. Famous even :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#115 Post by stu90 »

Iguleder wrote:I'm currently compiling a tweaked 2.6.38.5 with BFS and some other tweaks, would you like me to upload it? I'm trying to make a 5.2.5 with this kernel so I can replace my current OS (my own spup remix, Teh Gray Puppy) with it, since Lupu's 2.6.33 is too old for my netbook.

Hi Iguleder,
Sure thing i will give it a try 8)

nooby

#116 Post by nooby »

Iguleder I don't mind trying it out on my Acer Netbook too. :)

Iguleder

#117 Post by Iguleder »

Kernel panic :lol:

Recompiling my kernel, this time with some stuff added. I think I know what causes this problem and I really hope this isn't the lovely BFS.

By the way, I'm at ~75% of my T2 build, if everything goes according to plan A, I'll build a tpup with a full Bluetooth stack, Wicd and this kernel.
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

stu90

#118 Post by stu90 »

nooby wrote:Stu I am back and it behaved as the 526 did yesterday in that sound was loud as should be 100% and xorg did not start on its own and xwin did not start either. Apart from that it appears to behave like what pemasu has on his experiments too.

On my gear it refuse to show temperature sensor. I maybe should activate it in Terminal and I do have that in Notes somewhere but I am lazy just now.

What else should I test on it? oops I am using Seaside's SFS-Exec now I test if it allow me to uninstall the Firefox I loaded Yes looks normal to me which it did not in latest Wary but that one is still highly experimental.

So wish I knew more on how to help you solve this thing with xorg and xwin not starting normally.

Maybe Acer D250 is a very unusual beast. it uses Intel 945 chips and them are known to be problematic are they not. Famous even :)
Hi Nooby thanks for the report - i wonder what it making it do this. For this upload i made sure to start with a fresh EZ-woof and changed very little :(

Regarding batter and CPU temp - the normal puppy ones don't work with these newer kernels - Pemasu made some replacement .pets here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 017#517017

stu90

#119 Post by stu90 »

Iguleder wrote:Kernel panic :lol:

Recompiling my kernel, this time with some stuff added. I think I know what causes this problem and I really hope this isn't the lovely BFS.

By the way, I'm at ~75% of my T2 build, if everything goes according to plan A, I'll build a tpup with a full Bluetooth stack, Wicd and this kernel.
New kernel + Bluetooth + Wicd

sounds good :)

nooby

#120 Post by nooby »

I need to test it further then using those pets to see if it does show temperature. I remember that Acer D255 is different. It uses the N470 and not N270 as my current machine use. D255 did show temperature out of the box was high from start. some 40 Celcius going up to 58 or so and setting on a noisy fan and then fan and fan and fan until down to 48 Celcius or so, I don't remember but it was so noisy that I promised to only boot it up if this machine break it's hdd or so. I hate noise.

But that machine did show thermal going up and down while this D250 has it set on 28 and it stay there regardless of fan starts or not. So it can not show the correct therm at all.

Billtoo

Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v003

#121 Post by Billtoo »

I had to try the new one :)
Frugal install.
On first boot the sound icon showed 100% volume so I ran alsamixer in
the terminal and after exiting did alsactl store,then rebooted to
create my save file.
After rebooting all the settings were back to zero except the volume
which was 100% again, reran alsamixer in the terminal and adjusted the
settings again,exited and did alsactl store.
On next rebooted the settings were good.

Sat 7 May 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-525 Linux 2.6.38.4
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RV530 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV530 71C2) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500
Core 0: 2200 1: 2200 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
# glxgears
15148 frames in 5.0 seconds
15207 frames in 5.0 seconds
15210 frames in 5.0 seconds
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(22.19 KiB) Downloaded 1861 times
image-1.jpg
(20.46 KiB) Downloaded 1868 times

stu90

#122 Post by stu90 »

Hello Billtoo thanks for testing,
On first boot did it go straight to desktop or did you have run xorgwizard xwin or anything - i also notice your alsamizer has alot more options that mine with just Master and PCM and under the All option Master PCM Capture Digital Mux.

On the first boot when it is 100% does audio work or do you need to run alsamizer to get any sound to play - if audio does work what happens when you make a save file with out running alsamixer.

sorry for all the questions. :oops:

cheers.

pemasu

#123 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. I made new trial in reuploaded Ice Puppy-008. I used your /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, /etc/asound.state and plainly alsactl restore command to restore in /etc/init.d/alsafix. I used force command to spesify the asound.state location to be used.

I have alsa binaries in /sbin, so I had to remove /usr/sbin/alsabinaries path out. I have alsa 1.0.24 now in Ice Puppy-008.

If you have 10alsa and alsafix scripts, the 10alsa is executed first and alsafix after that. I think that my 10alsa does not work for me at all, but alsafix do the trick.

I didnt use any hacked other scripts.
Attachments
alsafix-001.pet
(889 Bytes) Downloaded 604 times

Billtoo

Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v003

#124 Post by Billtoo »

stu90 wrote:Hello Billtoo thanks for testing,
On first boot did it go straight to desktop or did you have run xorgwizard xwin or anything - i also notice your alsamizer has alot more options that mine with just Master and PCM and under the All option Master PCM Capture Digital Mux.

On the first boot when it is 100% does audio work or do you need to run alsamizer to get any sound to play - if audio does work what happens when you make a save file with out running alsamixer.

sorry for all the questions. :oops:

cheers.
hi stu90,

It went straight to the desktop, resolution good, wired network good,
I added the xorg_high driver in quickpet.
I needed to run alsamixer and set the levels to get sound.

With pemasu's newest icepuppy 08 I hear the two barks when I get to
the desktop for the first time, on my other hp desktop at least,
haven't tried his newest icepuppy on this one yet so I'd better try it
out now.

I've added google earth and vlc from quickpet in your version, working
great, sound levels are persistent now.

edit: now in newest icepuppy08
Pemasu's newest gives the two barks on first boot and the image shows
alsamixer settings as they are right off the bat.
Guess I don't really need all those other levels set.
The master sound level was at 55% on first boot, pcm and front were at
100%.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(32.28 KiB) Downloaded 1897 times

playdayz

#125 Post by playdayz »

Hey stu90, pemasu and everyone else pursuing the advanced kernel. Here is what I am seeing concerning audio in v003.

On first boot, the alsamixer Full window looks like this. The crucial aspect is that Front is not turned up, so that volume is about half.

This is what Lucid 5.2.5 looks like:

Also on first boot, this is what alsamixer (press F6) looks like:

And here is what Lucid 5.2.5 looks like:

What this means is that Lupu Lite is 1) not turning up all of the appropriate volume controls, and 2) it is not detecting/configuring the second and higher audio cards.

I am not being critical, I am sure you know, I would like to see it work, for sure!

Here is a suggestion--just a suggestion. There are really only two people who know the gruesome details of the hardware detection and config. Barry is working on some stuff of his own and does not have time to be diverted. However rerwin is working on updating his modem-modprobe package and IMHO would be just the person to ask for help with this.

Here is the history. Lucid 5.2.5 is the last "non-zzz" Woof/Puppy. What that means is that Barry has now incorporated his own hardware detection/config scripts into Woof. They were originally called "zzz-scripts-simple-bk." Lucid 5.2.5 did not use these zzz-scripts. What Lucid 5.2.5 did use were the traditional scripts, which rerwin had a huge part in developing. Rerwin is still improving those scripts in the package modem-modprobe., as an upgrade for non-zzz Puppies.

1. rerwin would be the best candidate imho to figure out and correct easily and efficiently the "issues" with the alsa script.

2. rerwin might want to test his complete modem-modprobe script with EZ-Woof and the advanced kernel. That would be OK with me--if that develops then I will post some easy instructions about how to do it with EZ-Woof--it's no big deal at all.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57290
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 07 May 2011, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.