#121 Post by Billtoo »

I had to try the new one :)
Frugal install.
On first boot the sound icon showed 100% volume so I ran alsamixer in
the terminal and after exiting did alsactl store,then rebooted to
create my save file.
After rebooting all the settings were back to zero except the volume
which was 100% again, reran alsamixer in the terminal and adjusted the
settings again,exited and did alsactl store.
On next rebooted the settings were good.

Sat 7 May 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-525 Linux 2.6.38.4
0.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc RV530 [Radeon X1600]
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RV530 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon
X.Org version: 1.7.6
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (380x238 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: DRI R300 Project
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R300 (RV530 71C2) 20090101 x86/MMX/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1

Intel(R) Core(TM)2 Duo CPU E4500
Core 0: 2200 1: 2200 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.
# glxgears
15148 frames in 5.0 seconds
15207 frames in 5.0 seconds
15210 frames in 5.0 seconds
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(22.19 KiB) Downloaded 1861 times
image-1.jpg
(20.46 KiB) Downloaded 1868 times

stu90

#122 Post by stu90 »

Hello Billtoo thanks for testing,
On first boot did it go straight to desktop or did you have run xorgwizard xwin or anything - i also notice your alsamizer has alot more options that mine with just Master and PCM and under the All option Master PCM Capture Digital Mux.

On the first boot when it is 100% does audio work or do you need to run alsamizer to get any sound to play - if audio does work what happens when you make a save file with out running alsamixer.

sorry for all the questions. :oops:

cheers.

pemasu

#123 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. I made new trial in reuploaded Ice Puppy-008. I used your /var/lib/alsa/asound.state, /etc/asound.state and plainly alsactl restore command to restore in /etc/init.d/alsafix. I used force command to spesify the asound.state location to be used.

I have alsa binaries in /sbin, so I had to remove /usr/sbin/alsabinaries path out. I have alsa 1.0.24 now in Ice Puppy-008.

If you have 10alsa and alsafix scripts, the 10alsa is executed first and alsafix after that. I think that my 10alsa does not work for me at all, but alsafix do the trick.

I didnt use any hacked other scripts.
Attachments
alsafix-001.pet
(889 Bytes) Downloaded 604 times

Billtoo

Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v003

#124 Post by Billtoo »

stu90 wrote:Hello Billtoo thanks for testing,
On first boot did it go straight to desktop or did you have run xorgwizard xwin or anything - i also notice your alsamizer has alot more options that mine with just Master and PCM and under the All option Master PCM Capture Digital Mux.

On the first boot when it is 100% does audio work or do you need to run alsamizer to get any sound to play - if audio does work what happens when you make a save file with out running alsamixer.

sorry for all the questions. :oops:

cheers.
hi stu90,

It went straight to the desktop, resolution good, wired network good,
I added the xorg_high driver in quickpet.
I needed to run alsamixer and set the levels to get sound.

With pemasu's newest icepuppy 08 I hear the two barks when I get to
the desktop for the first time, on my other hp desktop at least,
haven't tried his newest icepuppy on this one yet so I'd better try it
out now.

I've added google earth and vlc from quickpet in your version, working
great, sound levels are persistent now.

edit: now in newest icepuppy08
Pemasu's newest gives the two barks on first boot and the image shows
alsamixer settings as they are right off the bat.
Guess I don't really need all those other levels set.
The master sound level was at 55% on first boot, pcm and front were at
100%.
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(32.28 KiB) Downloaded 1897 times

playdayz

#125 Post by playdayz »

Hey stu90, pemasu and everyone else pursuing the advanced kernel. Here is what I am seeing concerning audio in v003.

On first boot, the alsamixer Full window looks like this. The crucial aspect is that Front is not turned up, so that volume is about half.

This is what Lucid 5.2.5 looks like:

Also on first boot, this is what alsamixer (press F6) looks like:

And here is what Lucid 5.2.5 looks like:

What this means is that Lupu Lite is 1) not turning up all of the appropriate volume controls, and 2) it is not detecting/configuring the second and higher audio cards.

I am not being critical, I am sure you know, I would like to see it work, for sure!

Here is a suggestion--just a suggestion. There are really only two people who know the gruesome details of the hardware detection and config. Barry is working on some stuff of his own and does not have time to be diverted. However rerwin is working on updating his modem-modprobe package and IMHO would be just the person to ask for help with this.

Here is the history. Lucid 5.2.5 is the last "non-zzz" Woof/Puppy. What that means is that Barry has now incorporated his own hardware detection/config scripts into Woof. They were originally called "zzz-scripts-simple-bk." Lucid 5.2.5 did not use these zzz-scripts. What Lucid 5.2.5 did use were the traditional scripts, which rerwin had a huge part in developing. Rerwin is still improving those scripts in the package modem-modprobe., as an upgrade for non-zzz Puppies.

1. rerwin would be the best candidate imho to figure out and correct easily and efficiently the "issues" with the alsa script.

2. rerwin might want to test his complete modem-modprobe script with EZ-Woof and the advanced kernel. That would be OK with me--if that develops then I will post some easy instructions about how to do it with EZ-Woof--it's no big deal at all.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57290
Last edited by playdayz on Sat 07 May 2011, 16:00, edited 2 times in total.

playdayz

#126 Post by playdayz »

BTW, Could someone post a link to the latest 2,6,38.x kernel pet? Thank you.

pemasu

#127 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Latest kernel is lupe19 and here is the link to the download folder.
http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/KernelPe ... .4-lupe19/
Kernel sources: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/Kernel_sources

About alsa sound level problems. Stu90 pm me and I searched the problem based on stu90 innovation.
The first part of the script does not work in Barry`s 10alsa script. 525 has alsa script which is quite the same from the innards. It has the same problem with these first code rows:
case "$1" in
start|restart)

Code: Select all

#!/bin/sh
#Barry Kauler april 2009, puppylinux.com
#called from /etc/rc.d/rc.services at bootup, with 'start' param.
#called from /etc/rc.d/rc.shutdown at shutdown, with 'stop' param.
#101120, 101121 simplification.
#110111 shinobar: for reliable sound detection on HP Compac nc4010.
#110113 tweak delay. 110216 tweak delay.
#110506 /usr/sbin/alsaconf has 'restart' option, might need to reprobe modules. for now, just 'start|restart'.

case "$1" in
 start|restart)
  #110217 remove this test, seems to be a problem some people report file not created but snd ok...
  #if [ -f /tmp/rc_d_rc_services_alsa_ok ];then #101121 see rc.services.
   #if [ "`lsmod | grep '^snd_'`" != "" ];then
   rm -f /var/lock/subsys/alsasound 2> /dev/null #or alsa will not start.
   #sometimes these don't all load...
   modprobe snd-mixer-oss
   modprobe snd-seq-oss
   modprobe snd-pcm-oss
   for I in $(seq 4); do #110111 shinobar: for reliable sound detection on HP Compac nc4010.
    sleep 0.5 #110113 reduce 1 to 0.5. 110216 move up.
    [ -c /dev/mixer ] && break #note, /dev/mixer is deleted in /etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit.
   done 
   if [ ! -f /etc/asound.state ];then
    #try and set all levels workable...
    #set_mixers #in functions4puppy4
    #101015 BK had to add ,0 after Front...
	amixer -s -q <<EOF
set Master 75% unmute
set Master -12dB
set 'Master Mono' 75% unmute
set 'Master Mono' -12dB
set Front,0 75% unmute
set Front,0 -12dB
set PCM 90% unmute
set PCM 0dB
set Synth 90% unmute
set Synth 0dB
set CD 90% unmute
set CD 0dB
set Mic 0% mute
set PCM,1 90% unmute
set PCM,1 0dB
set Wave 100% unmute
set Music 100% unmute
set AC97 100% unmute
set 'Master Digital' 75% unmute
set DAC 90% unmute
set DAC -12dB
set DAC,0 90% unmute
set DAC,0 -12dB
set DAC,1 90% unmute
set DAC,1 -12dB
set Headphone 75% unmute
set Headphone -12dB
set Playback 100% unmute
set "SB Live Analog/Digital Output Jack" off
set "Audigy Analog/Digital Output Jack" off
EOF

else
    alsactl -f /etc/asound.state restore #from /etc/asound.state.
   fi
  #fi
 ;;
 stop)
  alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store #saves to /etc/asound.state.
Cut of the rest of the script............

Code: Select all

case "$1" in
 start|restart)
Removing that part makes the sound level to be leveled as it should according to the script.
Now it would need that script wizard to tell why Barry`s first rows make the script non working.
So, the fixed script should be easy to create.
Playdayz alsa 1.0.24 packages has alsa binaries in different location, under /sbin which needs to remembered if people updates to it. /usr/sbin/alsactl for example does not work in scripts with newer alsa. just alsactl works fine of course.

stu90

#128 Post by stu90 »

playdayz wrote:Hey stu90, pemasu and everyone else pursuing the advanced kernel. Here is what I am seeing concerning audio in v003.

On first boot, the alsamixer Full window looks like this. The crucial aspect is that Front is not turned up, so that volume is about half.

Also on first boot, this is what alsamixer (press F6) looks like:

What this means is that Lupu Lite is 1) not turning up all of the appropriate volume controls, and 2) it is not detecting/configuring the second and higher audio cards.

I am not being critical, I am sure you know, I would like to see it work, for sure!

Here is a suggestion--just a suggestion. There are really only two people who know the gruesome details of the hardware detection and config. Barry is working on some stuff of his own and does not have time to be diverted. However rerwin is working on updating his modem-modprobe package and IMHO would be just the person to ask for help with this.

Here is the history. Lucid 5.2.5 is the last "non-zzz" Woof/Puppy. What that means is that Barry has now incorporated his own hardware detection/config scripts into Woof. They were originally called "zzz-scripts-simple-bk." Lucid 5.2.5 did not use these zzz-scripts. What Lucid 5.2.5 did use were the traditional scripts, which rerwin had a huge part in developing. Rerwin is still improving those scripts in the package modem-modprobe., as an upgrade for non-zzz Puppies.

1. rerwin would be the best candidate imho to figure out and correct easily and efficiently the "issues" with the alsa script.

2. rerwin might want to test his complete modem-modprobe script with EZ-Woof and the advanced kernel. That would be OK with me--if that develops then I will post some easy instructions about how to do it with EZ-Woof--it's no big deal at all.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57290
Hi Playdayz thanks for testing and feedback .

I tried and changed a few things since 003 - at the moment i am just using standard lucid 525 with updated lupe-19 kernel and alsa mod - here is where i am up to so far - in the /init.d/alsamixer_fix scripts there is option to set Front to 75% - but both the laptops i have access to do not have this option so i don't know if that part works?
http://www.mediafire.com/file/me77j0o27 ... d03.tar.gz

I haven't uploaded an .iso for this yes but If you wan't to try it would probably be easier just to run through EZ-woof with pemasu lupe-19 kernel and copy over the files in the tar.gz when EZ-woof pauses to ask about i810 to see if this has any better results that 003.

Thanks for the heads up - i shall forward this thread to Rerwin - although i managed to get sound working on my laptop im just shooting in the dark when it comes to such things, so would be good to get feedback from some one who knows alsa and how these scripts works.

cheers.

James C

#129 Post by James C »

Frugal install of the latest. Regret to report that the initial boot was to a prompt again.Ran xorgwizard and no problem getting the desired 1024x768 resolution.
No sound or internet on initial boot.Sound was muted and nothing was checked in the Retrovol window. Made the necessary checkmarks and moved the sliders and sound started working. Running the Network Wizard got the network connection taken care of.
Everything is working now.

VGA compatible controller : Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Multimedia audio controller : Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller : Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)
Attachments
initial boot.png
(5.53 KiB) Downloaded 1678 times

James C

#130 Post by James C »

Here's what my Retrovol looks like, notice that there is no "front". Anyway, sound is working..... at the moment anyway. :)

On initial boot nothing was checked and all sliders were on zero.
Attachments
retrovol.png
(12.39 KiB) Downloaded 1444 times

playdayz

#131 Post by playdayz »

pemasu and stu90, I built EZ-Woof with the kernel that pemasu linked to. Good news--which all of you probably already know ;-) is that the 2.6.38.4 lupe19 builds fine without any errors in Woof. This was not the case in my previous build with the 2.6.38.4 kernel but that was lupe11 and this was lupe 19.

I did not use stu90's audio mod--and I have no sound and no retrovol. ***But*** using lsmod, I can see that the proper kernel sound modules have been loaded--for both sound cards. Alsaconf did not work though it thought it worked, but as pemasu says, I was using alsa 1.0.24--I will rebuild with the Lucid alsa and see what happens.

pemasu

#132 Post by pemasu »

Playdayz. Lupe19 installs with barrys 16.4.2011 woof without any problems. The kernel though is not the last one.
I think that 525 build needs alsa hacking and also that /dev location fix which is included in stu90`s fix.

I have vgaswitcheroo enabled in kernel but it needs debugfs also and that was unticked.
Vgaswitcheroo enables dual graphics swithching and also possiblity to shut down power hungry external second graphic, making newer dual graphics laptops battery time about double.
I am going to experimenting of that in near future. Now I am compiling lupe20.
Lupe19 was needed due to missing option for ATI proprietary environment.

No quarantee that something is still missing, but this vgaswitcheroo thing came up today from forum as feature request.

James C

#133 Post by James C »

Just to put these sound/internet/ display problems in some kind of context, this old test P4 also has installs of Mepis,Zenwalk,Ice Puppy, Snow Puppy and I'm posting from the official Lucid 525 now. Ice Puppy with 2.6.38.4 has none of the problems so what's the difference?
Rhetorical question..... :lol:

pemasu

#134 Post by pemasu »

James C. Lol. I really dont know. I dont need in Ice Puppy /dev location fix and sound fixes seems to work for muted sound also.
Ice Puppy does not base anymore clearly to any lucid puppy release. I have adopted stuff during 511, 520 and 525. Latest has even alsa 1.0.24 with small modifications. Well, nice to hear that it works.
I am sure all these problems in some hardware will be resolved during time and every experimental build will show new features and bugs to be solved.
In fact Lucid Lite with 2.6.38.4 worked fine in my laptop.
Thank you stu90. It seems that your thread has evolved to the interesting discussion thread.

James C

#135 Post by James C »

Live pfix=ram on my main Linux box. Good news, did boot to a 1440x900 display. Bad news, no internet or sound.
Internet,ran the wizard so no problem.
Sound.Ran Alsawizard, still no sound.Opened Retrovol, nothing was checked and all sliders was at zero.checked boxes and adjusted sliders, sound now working.

Ethernet controller : Realtek Semiconductor Co., Ltd. RTL-8139/8139C/8139C+ (rev 10)
Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller (rev 50)
VGA compatible controller : nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)

Other than having to get everything working on the initial boot everything seems to be working fine.

stu90

#136 Post by stu90 »

I uploaded this .iso last night.
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lupu-525-02.iso
md5: 0687cbfca96680659a019db2ec2592de

This is just an edited .iso of the previous build trying a different audio fix - to be honest im not sure what i can do about not booting straight to desktop as this last build had the minimal of changed with EZ-woof - just used lupe-19 kernel and audio mod, with no other packages added / removed or altered.

cheers.

Billtoo

Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v003

#137 Post by Billtoo »

Hi stu90,

I heard the two barks on first bootup with your latest,went straight
to the desktop, resolution,wired network good.
The image shows alsamixer the way the settings were right off the bat
(different pc,fewer settings).

edit: oops, if I'd cursored over in alsamixer I would have seen a bunch more settings.
Here's a screenshot of retrovol, still haven't changed anything.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(14.47 KiB) Downloaded 1850 times
image-1.jpg
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 1856 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 08 May 2011, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#138 Post by playdayz »

im not sure what i can do about not booting straight to desktop as this last build had the minimal of changed with EZ-woof - just used lupe-19 kernel and audio mod
V003 booted straight to the desktop for me.

That should be something EZ-Woof builds of Lucid 5.2.5 do automatically.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log might have useful info. You could rename it from the command line after it fails to boot cp /var/log/org.0.log /var/log/Xorg.fail or something so that it doesn't get overwritten when you successfully use xorgwizard.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 08 May 2011, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#139 Post by playdayz »

Here's what my Retrovol looks like, notice that there is no "front"
Sorry James C. I should have said: different cards will have different volume control options--that is part of what makes alsa so difficult to get right for all cards I am sure--or one of the things anyway.

The difference between Lupu Lite and Ice Puppy is that Ice Puppy uses Lucid 5.1.1, and Lupu Lite uses 5.2.5, am I right?

stu90

#140 Post by stu90 »

Hi Billto thanks for testing again :)
sounds like this one works a bit better ? i can;t quite make out on the images is Front audio set in retrovol / alsa mixer?

Hi Playdayz,
I haven't experienced any problems my self with booting direct to desktop with any of the EZ-woof builds, James and Nooby had some problems though :(

I had no idea how different all these sounds cards are, i presumed they all just showed to same in retrovol - mine just has settings for Master, PCM, Capture, Digital, Mux capture - like you say i can now see why getting working audio across the board can be difficult.

Yes i believe Pemasu uses 511 base, i think he has also modified things along the way as well - the first lucid lite is just a standard remaster of official lucid 525 puppy with woofy remaster tool.

cheers.