Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v004

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stu90

#136 Post by stu90 »

I uploaded this .iso last night.
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lupu-525-02.iso
md5: 0687cbfca96680659a019db2ec2592de

This is just an edited .iso of the previous build trying a different audio fix - to be honest im not sure what i can do about not booting straight to desktop as this last build had the minimal of changed with EZ-woof - just used lupe-19 kernel and audio mod, with no other packages added / removed or altered.

cheers.

Billtoo

Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v003

#137 Post by Billtoo »

Hi stu90,

I heard the two barks on first bootup with your latest,went straight
to the desktop, resolution,wired network good.
The image shows alsamixer the way the settings were right off the bat
(different pc,fewer settings).

edit: oops, if I'd cursored over in alsamixer I would have seen a bunch more settings.
Here's a screenshot of retrovol, still haven't changed anything.
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(14.47 KiB) Downloaded 1850 times
image-1.jpg
(13.7 KiB) Downloaded 1856 times
Last edited by Billtoo on Sun 08 May 2011, 15:46, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#138 Post by playdayz »

im not sure what i can do about not booting straight to desktop as this last build had the minimal of changed with EZ-woof - just used lupe-19 kernel and audio mod
V003 booted straight to the desktop for me.

That should be something EZ-Woof builds of Lucid 5.2.5 do automatically.

/var/log/Xorg.0.log might have useful info. You could rename it from the command line after it fails to boot cp /var/log/org.0.log /var/log/Xorg.fail or something so that it doesn't get overwritten when you successfully use xorgwizard.
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 08 May 2011, 15:59, edited 1 time in total.

playdayz

#139 Post by playdayz »

Here's what my Retrovol looks like, notice that there is no "front"
Sorry James C. I should have said: different cards will have different volume control options--that is part of what makes alsa so difficult to get right for all cards I am sure--or one of the things anyway.

The difference between Lupu Lite and Ice Puppy is that Ice Puppy uses Lucid 5.1.1, and Lupu Lite uses 5.2.5, am I right?

stu90

#140 Post by stu90 »

Hi Billto thanks for testing again :)
sounds like this one works a bit better ? i can;t quite make out on the images is Front audio set in retrovol / alsa mixer?

Hi Playdayz,
I haven't experienced any problems my self with booting direct to desktop with any of the EZ-woof builds, James and Nooby had some problems though :(

I had no idea how different all these sounds cards are, i presumed they all just showed to same in retrovol - mine just has settings for Master, PCM, Capture, Digital, Mux capture - like you say i can now see why getting working audio across the board can be difficult.

Yes i believe Pemasu uses 511 base, i think he has also modified things along the way as well - the first lucid lite is just a standard remaster of official lucid 525 puppy with woofy remaster tool.

cheers.

Billtoo

Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v003

#141 Post by Billtoo »

stu90 wrote:Hi Billto thanks for testing again :)
sounds like this one works a bit better ? i can;t quite make out on the images is Front audio set in retrovol / alsa mixer?
cheers.
Yes,this one works well.The front audio was set on first boot.

I made a stripped down quirky 1.2 a few months ago with woof, 78mb
iso. I noticed it on the shelf yesterday and had some fun last night
by adding seamonkey 2.0.14 and cmus 2.4, also PupSnap and a couple of
other things, remastered the cd and the iso is now 94 mb.I've made more pets
this morning,audacious and a game.It even works on my newest pc but
has to use the vesa driver and the resolution is wrong but what the
heck.
Puppy is cool :)
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(63.22 KiB) Downloaded 1799 times

James C

#142 Post by James C »

stu90 wrote:I uploaded this .iso last night.

This is just an edited .iso of the previous build trying a different audio fix - to be honest im not sure what i can do about not booting straight to desktop as this last build had the minimal of changed with EZ-woof - just used lupe-19 kernel and audio mod, with no other packages added / removed or altered.

cheers.
Some progress anyway. :)
Manual frugal install on the old P4 test box. Initial boot still went to a prompt ,so I just ran Xorgwizard. Internet wasn't detected, so I ran Network Wizard. But the sound worked ootb. :)
Here's Retrovol on initial boot.
Attachments
retrovol .png
(17.38 KiB) Downloaded 1692 times

James C

#143 Post by James C »

James C wrote:
stu90 wrote:I uploaded this .iso last night.

cheers.
Some progress anyway. :)
Manual frugal install on the old P4 test box. Initial boot still went to a prompt ,so I just ran Xorgwizard. Internet wasn't detected, so I ran Network Wizard. But the sound worked ootb. :)
I do manual install's which means I don't use a cd. Anyway, I burned a cd of 525-02 and it booted (pfix=ram) straight to a working desktop. No prompt.
Still had to configure internet but sound and display work from the cd.
Timing issue?

Hesse James

DEVX and Instant Update ?

#144 Post by Hesse James »

Hi Stu
So far your Puplets works ok for me (btw the first one with 2.6.38). For development reasons which DEVX would you recommend ? I have taken the standard lupu_devx_525.sfs and renamed it into lupu_devx_526.sfs to make it working. Is this your recommended version ?

Additional question: is the actual 5.25 Instant Update installed or do I have to apply this on a fresh "lite" install ?

Thanks in advance for a short notice.

Christian

stu90

Re: Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v003

#145 Post by stu90 »

Billtoo wrote: Yes,this one works well.The front audio was set on first boot.

I made a stripped down quirky 1.2 a few months ago with woof, 78mb
iso. I noticed it on the shelf yesterday and had some fun last night
by adding seamonkey 2.0.14 and cmus 2.4, also PupSnap and a couple of
other things, remastered the cd and the iso is now 94 mb.I've made more pets
this morning,audacious and a game.It even works on my newest pc but
has to use the vesa driver and the resolution is wrong but what the
heck.
Puppy is cool :)
Hey nice one Billtoo - puppy is great for tinkering about, customizing, building and experimenting with. 8)

stu90

#146 Post by stu90 »

James C wrote:
I do manual install's which means I don't use a cd. Anyway, I burned a cd of 525-02 and it booted (pfix=ram) straight to a working desktop. No prompt.
Still had to configure internet but sound and display work from the cd.
Timing issue?
Manual frugal install is how i use Puppy - i have never tried a full install or even a CD/DVD install of puppy, i do have a USB install as back up just in case my hard drive dies.

I don't know why it would work from a CD but not a frugal install - like you say maybe some kind of timing issue, something (audio) not loading in time and having a knock on effect ?

Playdayz posted this above - i wouldn't be able to make heads nor tails of it but maybe some one who knows about such things might see it.
/var/log/Xorg.0.log might have useful info. You could rename it from the command line after it fails to boot cp /var/log/org.0.log /var/log/Xorg.fail or something so that it doesn't get overwritten when you successfully use xorgwizard.

stu90

Re: DEVX and Instant Update ?

#147 Post by stu90 »

Hesse James wrote:Hi Stu
So far your Puplets works ok for me (btw the first one with 2.6.38). For development reasons which DEVX would you recommend ? I have taken the standard lupu_devx_525.sfs and renamed it into lupu_devx_526.sfs to make it working. Is this your recommended version ?

Additional question: is the actual 5.25 Instant Update installed or do I have to apply this on a fresh "lite" install ?

Thanks in advance for a short notice.

Christian
Hi Hesse James,
Thanks for testing - im afraid i never kept the devx for those previous builds - im not sure what the correct procedure is or if it safe, advised to use devx from a different build or kernel version?

As lucid lite 004 will be around for a few days i have upload the devx for that one - it is called lupu-devx-525 but it was made with 004 build so it is the right one for that.

cheers.

Iguleder

#148 Post by Iguleder »

My 2.6.38.5 got messed up and I haven't tried the second attempt, but I think I'll abandone it for now, because 2.6.39 should be quite good and because I'm working on a tweaked 2.6.32 which should be very good - I remember I got sound working for pretty much anyone when I developed Puppy Squeeze.

Had to abandon both because my personal life got too messy.

The tweaked 2.6.32 comes with a build script that can build any 2.6.32.x, which makes things quite fun :)

It could be useful on the IcePuppy and Lite front, with 2.6.38+ - someone could tweak it to match this kernel. I'll post this script once I get everything working, I'm doing the first build atm. All we need is a working .config for the kernel series and matching patches (which are very easy to obtain or generate).
[url=http://dimakrasner.com/]My homepage[/url]
[url=https://github.com/dimkr]My GitHub profile[/url]

James C

#149 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of v004 on the P4 test box.Still booting to a prompt on initial boot. Not a big deal to me since once xorgwizard is run it doesn't need to be touched again.
Sound was working on boot again.

gcmartin

Problem booting a 2.8GHz Celeron with SIS MB video

#150 Post by gcmartin »

System is booting from Live media to X desktop (pfix=ram). When arrival at desktop, mouse is frozen and keyboard doesn't respond.
System has 1GB RAM, 2.8GHz Celeron with SIS MB video.

Edited 1: When I boot with pfix=nox, it goes to text based select Keyboard screen and keyboard is frozen. Arrow keys, enter key, nothing works. Power off button, only.

What would be a recommended course of action?
Edited 2: OK, it appears that it doesn't like my USB keyboard+mouse coming thru the KVM.

Thanks in advance

mhanifpriatama

#151 Post by mhanifpriatama »

can't run lupu525lite on virtual box!! (because the kernel).

can run via pxeboot to client computers. Can run inkscape portable, can run firefox 3.6.
But, can not detect my LAN.
My hardware : amd sempron 140, pci : nVidia Corporation MCP61 ethernet (rev a2). I try with dhcpcd, I try network setup, but can not identify LAN, and need load module? No problem with lupu520.
Attachments
aa.png
(13.08 KiB) Downloaded 743 times

mhanifpriatama

#152 Post by mhanifpriatama »

include the zdrv, and can detect my LAN. So, the module at the zdrv.
Fast desktop indeed.

stifiling

Bluetooth

#153 Post by stifiling »

any reason why the btusb driver is being left out of the 2.6.38.4 builds? is there a way to get it back in?

pemasu

#154 Post by pemasu »

stifiling. No reason. It was forgotten. All other usb modules were selected, btusb was left out. Just selection error - human error - or something else.
I will compile btusb as installable pet package for lupe22 kernel. I wont support afterwards previous kernels because lupe22 was important upgrade in many ways. If missing modules are found, I appreciate if you report them.
Thanks.

pemasu

#155 Post by pemasu »

For kernel lupe22 missing bluetooth usb modules are now compilded and I have reuploaded the lupe22 kernel.
Attachments
bluetoothusb-2.6.38.4-lupe22.pet
(16.32 KiB) Downloaded 513 times