Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 31 Aug 2014, 06:41
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v004
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 3 of 11 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
stu90

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:32    Post_subject: Re: Can Google Earth 6 be insstalled ?  

nancy reagan wrote:
As there is a linux version voor GE6

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

now, was wondering whether

a. can it be installed in this lupu lite ? and, if so

b. HOW ?

Yes google earth can be installed on lucid lite, from what i understand it requires the accelerated graphics driver - i am not sure which version of GE is available for official lucid puppy? but that should work on lucid lite as well.

either way i have made an .sfs of google-earth-6.0.2.2074 and will upload it tonight when i have more Internet bandwidth along with XBMC-10.1 .sfs
nooby

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 10:52    Post_subject:  

scsijon, I have prepared a lupu525lite to be used as Seaside described.

He makes an sfs out of his minimal pupsave that contain the personal preferences but not many apps. Most likely only those he see as necessary. Maybe Geany or such.

So your sfs that comes in handy as a sfs to use when one need one of those many pets you included.

Does that mean that after shutting down that sfs then I can boot back up in the minimal lupu525lite again and none of it remains. Seems logical to me.

But maybe some of the pets save things on mnt/home? Or do they ask such first?

AFAIK the OS itself or a particular program seems to place a file on the mnt/home to use in case it is needed later?

I have one now that I guess Lupu has placed there

A Dir named l5211103.283 on mnt/home only sfs files in it

Lupu 521 instead of 525 and 11 could be 2011 and 03 is Mars so it has been there many days and I saw it yesterday. I remember vaguely that somebody explained it had to do with shutting down the sfs boot manager without saving later?

nooby

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:24    Post_subject:  

Can Chromium12.sfs be made for another kernel or another puppy?

Firefox.sfs worked and Opera.sfs worked but Chromium12.sfs nothing does happen at all. Does it need some kind of extra lib things it expect to be in same directory? I tested this on lupu525lite and will test again today.

chromium12.0.703.0-77939w5.sfs

should I renamed it to chromium12.sfs and then maybe it loads?
opera-11.10-2048.i386opt.sfs is named that way and start intantly.

What could be wrong. I trust that I used Chromium in one Lupu and that it worked but had problems with flash being to old or something.

Terryphi

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 11:43    Post_subject:  

nooby wrote:

Firefox.sfs worked and Opera.sfs worked but Chromium12.sfs nothing does happen at all. Does it need some kind of extra lib things it expect to be in same directory? I tested this on lupu525lite and will test again today.

What could be wrong. I trust that I used Chromium in one Lupu and that it worked but had problems with flash being to old or something.

Chromium 12 requires various libraries. My SFS was made for Wary 511 (but also works with Lucid Puppy 525 and Quirky 130) and assumes that the libraries it contains are present and then adds some others. I assume that lupu525lite has them removed. That is why it is called "lite" which is bad spelling for "broken" .

If you remove stuff from a Puppy version you cannot expect programs created for that version to work.
nooby

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 12:06    Post_subject:  

Terryphi I do apology for not remembering it was you doing the sfs.

But I do remember you helped me with another browser. Very kind of you.

Ah okay then I start with full Lupu525 instead of Lupu525lite until that one have the needed things for using sfs the way I want.

Very good that you told me

nancy reagan

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 13:28    Post_subject: Re: Can Google Earth 6 be insstalled ?  

stu90 wrote:

Yes google earth can be installed on lucid lite, from what i understand it requires the accelerated graphics driver - i am not sure which version of GE is available for official lucid puppy? but that should work on lucid lite as well.

either way i have made an .sfs of google-earth-6.0.2.2074 and will upload it tonight when i have more Internet bandwidth along with XBMC-10.1 .sfs

Woww, thanks, really looking forward.
stu90

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 21:53    Post_subject:  

Terryphi wrote:
nooby wrote:

Chromium 12 requires various libraries. My SFS was made for Wary 511 (but also works with Lucid Puppy 525 and Quirky 130) and assumes that the libraries it contains are present and then adds some others. I assume that lupu525lite has them removed. That is why it is called "lite" which is bad spelling for "broken" .

If you remove stuff from a Puppy version you cannot expect programs created for that version to work.

wait what, because the chromium .pet you made doesn't work that means lucid lite is broken ?

Is your second statement also regarding lucid lite?
if so could you please list which lucid puppy programs you have found that don't work in lucid lite and i will try my best to get them to work.

Perfection lucid lite aint and a developer i am not - my aim is to learn, share, experiment, help if i can and have fun - if people think lucid lite is broken, has to many bugs or is a pos they can move on to some other puplet or derivative as their is always plenty of choice in the puppyverse - if others wants to offer constructive criticisms or are having problems then i will try my best to help. Confused
stu90

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 21:59    Post_subject:  

nooby wrote:
Terryphi I do apology for not remembering it was you doing the sfs.

But I do remember you helped me with another browser. Very kind of you.

Ah okay then I start with full Lupu525 instead of Lupu525lite until that one have the needed things for using sfs the way I want.

Very good that you told me

Hi Nooby if you install this small .pet Terryphi chromium browser .sfs should work.

Lucid lite had no flash or media player installed so if you want to watch streaming videos you will need to download flash from lucid puppy repository in puppy package manager.
flashplayer-10.2.153-lucid.pet is the most recent version in there.
libcups2.pet
Description 
pet

Download 
Filename  libcups2.pet 
Filesize  129 KB 
Downloaded  275 Time(s) 
stu90

PostPosted: Thu 07 Apr 2011, 22:09    Post_subject: Re: Lucid 525 - lite
Sub_title: a lighter version of the recently released Lucid Puppy 5.25.

nancy reagan wrote:

Woww, thanks, really looking forward.

hello nancy reagan.
google earth .sfs is in the first post if you want to test it.

cheers.
nooby

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr 2011, 04:29    Post_subject:  

Thanks Stu

Re google earth as I remember but have not tried it needs some Acceleration of graphics. Maybe not every computer have that graphic CPU?

I read this somewhere here in the forum.

Just now I am experimenting to get full Lupu525 to do the SFS thing as Seaside described.

So I test to do your lite later. That is logical. To start with something that is not altered in any way.

Re using Seaside's approach to SFS

I failed yesterday due to me had outsourced FF to the HDD using mnt/home but that may fail due to needed infrastructure will be missing when I do the dir2sfs.

So I start all over today with lupu525 and wait with lite.

Edit it failed today too so it seems to ahve not hing to do with lite or full.

Edited_time_total
nancy reagan

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr 2011, 08:28    Post_subject: GE6  

Thanks stu.

Tried to install with shino's sfs loader, which did not work now.

Try it later and report again. Tanks.
stu90

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr 2011, 08:48    Post_subject:  

Hi Nancy reagan,

I just tried on a fresh save file with sfs load on the fly and google earth works ok - don't forget it needs accelerated graphics driver to run, other wise it will just flash a google earth screen and nothing else will happen.

I also find it chews through save file space pretty darn quick (what is it with google applications chrome is the same) Confused
nooby

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr 2011, 09:07    Post_subject:  

Stu what is it you refer to when you say this which I made bold?
Quote:
I also find it chews through save file space pretty darn quick (what is it with google applications chrome is the same)

Do you say that some internal thing in Google Earth is curious on the puppy savefile and goes through it chewing every details of it listing private things and report home to google then?

That would be gross Smile

stu90

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr 2011, 09:37    Post_subject:  

nooby wrote:
Stu what is it you refer to when you say this which I made bold?
Quote:
I also find it chews through save file space pretty darn quick (what is it with google applications chrome is the same)

Do you say that some internal thing in Google Earth is curious on the puppy savefile and goes through it chewing every details of it listing private things and report home to google then?

That would be gross Smile

Hi Nooby,
Sorry for not being clear - what i mean is that due to google earth along with google chrome caching data/history they decreases the amount of free space in your save file rather rapidly - so if you only use a small save file you could find that you need to increase its size.

Google earth does have the option to set and or clear cache in Options > Cache
Google chrome browser the last time i used it had no easy option i was aware of for limiting of clearing cache.
nooby

PostPosted: Fri 08 Apr 2011, 09:47    Post_subject:  

uh oh I am a bad reader of English Smile
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 3 of 11 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, ..., 9, 10, 11 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum