stu90

Re: Can Google Earth 6 be insstalled ?

#31 Post by stu90 »

nancy reagan wrote:As there is a linux version voor GE6

http://www.google.com/earth/download/ge/agree.html

now, was wondering whether

a. can it be installed in this lupu lite ? and, if so

b. HOW ?
Yes google earth can be installed on lucid lite, from what i understand it requires the accelerated graphics driver - i am not sure which version of GE is available for official lucid puppy? but that should work on lucid lite as well.

either way i have made an .sfs of google-earth-6.0.2.2074 and will upload it tonight when i have more Internet bandwidth along with XBMC-10.1 .sfs

nooby

#32 Post by nooby »

scsijon, I have prepared a lupu525lite to be used as Seaside described.

He makes an sfs out of his minimal pupsave that contain the personal preferences but not many apps. Most likely only those he see as necessary. Maybe Geany or such.

So your sfs that comes in handy as a sfs to use when one need one of those many pets you included.

Does that mean that after shutting down that sfs then I can boot back up in the minimal lupu525lite again and none of it remains. Seems logical to me.

But maybe some of the pets save things on mnt/home? Or do they ask such first?

AFAIK the OS itself or a particular program seems to place a file on the mnt/home to use in case it is needed later?

I have one now that I guess Lupu has placed there

A Dir named l5211103.283 on mnt/home only sfs files in it

Lupu 521 instead of 525 and 11 could be 2011 and 03 is Mars so it has been there many days and I saw it yesterday. I remember vaguely that somebody explained it had to do with shutting down the sfs boot manager without saving later?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

#33 Post by nooby »

Can Chromium12.sfs be made for another kernel or another puppy?

Firefox.sfs worked and Opera.sfs worked but Chromium12.sfs nothing does happen at all. Does it need some kind of extra lib things it expect to be in same directory? I tested this on lupu525lite and will test again today.

chromium12.0.703.0-77939w5.sfs

should I renamed it to chromium12.sfs and then maybe it loads?
opera-11.10-2048.i386opt.sfs is named that way and start intantly.

What could be wrong. I trust that I used Chromium in one Lupu and that it worked but had problems with flash being to old or something.

Terryphi

#34 Post by Terryphi »

nooby wrote:Can Chromium12.sfs be made for another kernel or another puppy?

Firefox.sfs worked and Opera.sfs worked but Chromium12.sfs nothing does happen at all. Does it need some kind of extra lib things it expect to be in same directory? I tested this on lupu525lite and will test again today.

What could be wrong. I trust that I used Chromium in one Lupu and that it worked but had problems with flash being to old or something.
Chromium 12 requires various libraries. My SFS was made for Wary 511 (but also works with Lucid Puppy 525 and Quirky 130) and assumes that the libraries it contains are present and then adds some others. I assume that lupu525lite has them removed. That is why it is called "lite" which is bad spelling for "broken" .

If you remove stuff from a Puppy version you cannot expect programs created for that version to work.

nooby

#35 Post by nooby »

Terryphi I do apology for not remembering it was you doing the sfs.

But I do remember you helped me with another browser. Very kind of you.

Ah okay then I start with full Lupu525 instead of Lupu525lite until that one have the needed things for using sfs the way I want.

Very good that you told me

nancy reagan

Re: Can Google Earth 6 be insstalled ?

#36 Post by nancy reagan »

stu90 wrote: Yes google earth can be installed on lucid lite, from what i understand it requires the accelerated graphics driver - i am not sure which version of GE is available for official lucid puppy? but that should work on lucid lite as well.

either way i have made an .sfs of google-earth-6.0.2.2074 and will upload it tonight when i have more Internet bandwidth along with XBMC-10.1 .sfs
Woww, thanks, really looking forward.

stu90

#37 Post by stu90 »

Terryphi wrote:

Chromium 12 requires various libraries. My SFS was made for Wary 511 (but also works with Lucid Puppy 525 and Quirky 130) and assumes that the libraries it contains are present and then adds some others. I assume that lupu525lite has them removed. That is why it is called "lite" which is bad spelling for "broken" .

If you remove stuff from a Puppy version you cannot expect programs created for that version to work.
wait what, because the chromium .pet you made doesn't work that means lucid lite is broken ?

Is your second statement also regarding lucid lite?
if so could you please list which lucid puppy programs you have found that don't work in lucid lite and i will try my best to get them to work.

Perfection lucid lite aint and a developer i am not - my aim is to learn, share, experiment, help if i can and have fun - if people think lucid lite is broken, has to many bugs or is a pos they can move on to some other puplet or derivative as their is always plenty of choice in the puppyverse - if others wants to offer constructive criticisms or are having problems then i will try my best to help. :?

stu90

#38 Post by stu90 »

nooby wrote:Terryphi I do apology for not remembering it was you doing the sfs.

But I do remember you helped me with another browser. Very kind of you.

Ah okay then I start with full Lupu525 instead of Lupu525lite until that one have the needed things for using sfs the way I want.

Very good that you told me
Hi Nooby if you install this small .pet Terryphi chromium browser .sfs should work.

Lucid lite had no flash or media player installed so if you want to watch streaming videos you will need to download flash from lucid puppy repository in puppy package manager.
flashplayer-10.2.153-lucid.pet is the most recent version in there.
Attachments
libcups2.pet
(129 KiB) Downloaded 583 times

stu90

Re: Lucid 525 - lite

#39 Post by stu90 »

nancy reagan wrote: Woww, thanks, really looking forward.
hello nancy reagan.
google earth .sfs is in the first post if you want to test it.

cheers.

nooby

#40 Post by nooby »

Thanks Stu

Re google earth as I remember but have not tried it needs some Acceleration of graphics. Maybe not every computer have that graphic CPU?

I read this somewhere here in the forum.

Just now I am experimenting to get full Lupu525 to do the SFS thing as Seaside described.

So I test to do your lite later. That is logical. To start with something that is not altered in any way.

Re using Seaside's approach to SFS

I failed yesterday due to me had outsourced FF to the HDD using mnt/home but that may fail due to needed infrastructure will be missing when I do the dir2sfs.

So I start all over today with lupu525 and wait with lite.

Edit it failed today too so it seems to ahve not hing to do with lite or full.
Last edited by nooby on Fri 08 Apr 2011, 12:46, edited 1 time in total.

nancy reagan

GE6

#41 Post by nancy reagan »

Thanks stu.

Tried to install with shino's sfs loader, which did not work now.

Try it later and report again. Tanks.

stu90

#42 Post by stu90 »

Hi Nancy reagan,

I just tried on a fresh save file with sfs load on the fly and google earth works ok - don't forget it needs accelerated graphics driver to run, other wise it will just flash a google earth screen and nothing else will happen.

I also find it chews through save file space pretty darn quick (what is it with google applications chrome is the same) :?

nooby

#43 Post by nooby »

Stu what is it you refer to when you say this which I made bold?
I also find it chews through save file space pretty darn quick (what is it with google applications chrome is the same)

Do you say that some internal thing in Google Earth is curious on the puppy savefile and goes through it chewing every details of it listing private things and report home to google then?

That would be gross :)

stu90

#44 Post by stu90 »

nooby wrote:Stu what is it you refer to when you say this which I made bold?
I also find it chews through save file space pretty darn quick (what is it with google applications chrome is the same)

Do you say that some internal thing in Google Earth is curious on the puppy savefile and goes through it chewing every details of it listing private things and report home to google then?

That would be gross :)
Hi Nooby,
Sorry for not being clear - what i mean is that due to google earth along with google chrome caching data/history they decreases the amount of free space in your save file rather rapidly - so if you only use a small save file you could find that you need to increase its size.

Google earth does have the option to set and or clear cache in Options > Cache
Google chrome browser the last time i used it had no easy option i was aware of for limiting of clearing cache.

nooby

#45 Post by nooby »

uh oh I am a bad reader of English :)

nancy reagan

GE 6 Loaded

#46 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi stu

Made it on my desktop with TCZ linker, thanks again.

I think forgot first to place sfs in root.

BTW, I miss the menu icon at the bottom of the desktop. Bad dld or just the way you made it ?

Pity F12 does not work in lupu anyway, so one can go out of every app -straight- to the menu.

Good job thanks.

adXok

#47 Post by adXok »

After downloading the .ISO file.. How can I

1. Extract, write, burn the .ISO imge on a USB flash stick
2. The USB flash stick to become bootable after 1. has been done
3. Boot Puppy form that USB stick (PC is able to boot from USB)

For a 100-200 MB .ISO it is frustrating .ISO image burn to CD\DVD to be required!

:)

scsijon

#48 Post by scsijon »

nooby wrote:scsijon, I have prepared a lupu525lite to be used as Seaside described.

He makes an sfs out of his minimal pupsave that contain the personal preferences but not many apps. Most likely only those he see as necessary. Maybe Geany or such.

So your sfs that comes in handy as a sfs to use when one need one of those many pets you included.

Does that mean that after shutting down that sfs then I can boot back up in the minimal lupu525lite again and none of it remains. Seems logical to me.

But maybe some of the pets save things on mnt/home? Or do they ask such first?

AFAIK the OS itself or a particular program seems to place a file on the mnt/home to use in case it is needed later?

I have one now that I guess Lupu has placed there

A Dir named l5211103.283 on mnt/home only sfs files in it

Lupu 521 instead of 525 and 11 could be 2011 and 03 is Mars so it has been there many days and I saw it yesterday. I remember vaguely that somebody explained it had to do with shutting down the sfs boot manager without saving later?
That should be right for my apps sfs. If you just use a click mount it should work, using apps now available will create any hidden config directories under /root if they are needed, they will also then be available afterwards or if you remount it will be preconfigured. If on the other hand you use Bootmanager, it will also add some "shortcut links" to your system in the matching directories and if you have removed it from bootmanager and rebooted these will now appear as yellow triangles. In all cases the apps should only show in the menu when the apps sfs is mounted. Hope that helped.

The l521.... directory is from the question asked during install about copy'ing a file to make it faster, this is the result. It's primarily for the z-drv stuff barry has had available and in use for quite a while and playdayz and others was using in 520+, it's on the way out, which is why playdayz stopped the woof version where he did. Yours is for puppy521, if your sure your not running 521, you should be able to delete it, but my sugestion is to rename the diredctory first and coldboot to make sure it's not involved somewhere.

regards
scsijon
ps What's this "Seaside" you mention, as I can't see anything in the topic?
Last edited by scsijon on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#49 Post by scsijon »

A tip:

Using the above as an example:

I've found that if you open a console screen and type the name of the application's executable it will usually tell you what's found missing first, not the package, just the file. You can usually work out from there, what's needed.

Also I look for a readme file in the sfs, it should tell you what you need to know.

scsijon

nancy reagan

saving settings sfs e.g. xmbc ?

#50 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi Stu

Sorry about the question on the missing menu ico, found out myself .. grrr.

Not, maybe not the right place to ask, but

If, and HOW, can one save settings on an .sfs, e.g. XMBC, which requires many settings, in order not to do the same ritual every time one loads it ?
Nancy