Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v004

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
nancy reagan

GE 6 Loaded

#46 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi stu

Made it on my desktop with TCZ linker, thanks again.

I think forgot first to place sfs in root.

BTW, I miss the menu icon at the bottom of the desktop. Bad dld or just the way you made it ?

Pity F12 does not work in lupu anyway, so one can go out of every app -straight- to the menu.

Good job thanks.

adXok

#47 Post by adXok »

After downloading the .ISO file.. How can I

1. Extract, write, burn the .ISO imge on a USB flash stick
2. The USB flash stick to become bootable after 1. has been done
3. Boot Puppy form that USB stick (PC is able to boot from USB)

For a 100-200 MB .ISO it is frustrating .ISO image burn to CD\DVD to be required!

:)

scsijon

#48 Post by scsijon »

nooby wrote:scsijon, I have prepared a lupu525lite to be used as Seaside described.

He makes an sfs out of his minimal pupsave that contain the personal preferences but not many apps. Most likely only those he see as necessary. Maybe Geany or such.

So your sfs that comes in handy as a sfs to use when one need one of those many pets you included.

Does that mean that after shutting down that sfs then I can boot back up in the minimal lupu525lite again and none of it remains. Seems logical to me.

But maybe some of the pets save things on mnt/home? Or do they ask such first?

AFAIK the OS itself or a particular program seems to place a file on the mnt/home to use in case it is needed later?

I have one now that I guess Lupu has placed there

A Dir named l5211103.283 on mnt/home only sfs files in it

Lupu 521 instead of 525 and 11 could be 2011 and 03 is Mars so it has been there many days and I saw it yesterday. I remember vaguely that somebody explained it had to do with shutting down the sfs boot manager without saving later?
That should be right for my apps sfs. If you just use a click mount it should work, using apps now available will create any hidden config directories under /root if they are needed, they will also then be available afterwards or if you remount it will be preconfigured. If on the other hand you use Bootmanager, it will also add some "shortcut links" to your system in the matching directories and if you have removed it from bootmanager and rebooted these will now appear as yellow triangles. In all cases the apps should only show in the menu when the apps sfs is mounted. Hope that helped.

The l521.... directory is from the question asked during install about copy'ing a file to make it faster, this is the result. It's primarily for the z-drv stuff barry has had available and in use for quite a while and playdayz and others was using in 520+, it's on the way out, which is why playdayz stopped the woof version where he did. Yours is for puppy521, if your sure your not running 521, you should be able to delete it, but my sugestion is to rename the diredctory first and coldboot to make sure it's not involved somewhere.

regards
scsijon
ps What's this "Seaside" you mention, as I can't see anything in the topic?
Last edited by scsijon on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 04:03, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

#49 Post by scsijon »

nooby wrote:Can Chromium12.sfs be made for another kernel or another puppy?

What could be wrong. I trust that I used Chromium in one Lupu and that it worked but had problems with flash being to old or something.
A tip:

Using the above as an example:

I've found that if you open a console screen and type the name of the application's executable it will usually tell you what's found missing first, not the package, just the file. You can usually work out from there, what's needed.

Also I look for a readme file in the sfs, it should tell you what you need to know.

scsijon

nancy reagan

saving settings sfs e.g. xmbc ?

#50 Post by nancy reagan »

Hi Stu

Sorry about the question on the missing menu ico, found out myself .. grrr.

Not, maybe not the right place to ask, but

If, and HOW, can one save settings on an .sfs, e.g. XMBC, which requires many settings, in order not to do the same ritual every time one loads it ?
Nancy

nooby

#51 Post by nooby »

Wild suggestions. Should it not be possible to take it apart inside a test directory named sfstest as individual directories and files and make the needed changes to the files that specify the behavior and then use dir2sfs and remake it again maybe rename the original first so you don't mix up them. Worth a try?

Dir2sfs make use of mksquashfs and that is how a sfs is made? so it looks like a workable things to my noob brain

But sure I can be wrong. The reason I think it is possible is that I use a FF04.sfs that seems to remember what startpage I wanted and that seems kind of not possible. How could it know such? I must have somehow initiated some kind of save it to itself info? Mystery to me.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

stu90

#52 Post by stu90 »

Just made a .pet for UMplayer this is a pretty sweet media player - it has youtube video and shoutcast radio integration built right in - meaning you can search and play shoutcast radio stations or youtube videos from your desktop with out visiting the shoutcast or youtube website, oh yeah and you can also download and save youtube videos as well - you also do not need any flash player installed to watch youtube through umplayer :D

Image Image

to install:
Lucid lite doesn;t come with any media player so If you haven't already got mplayer installed
download and install it:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid51x.pet

then install UMplayer:
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... n138en.pet

This is just the English version only - i do have a .pet with full language support, so if you would rather that one let me know and i will upload it.

cheers.
Last edited by stu90 on Sat 09 Apr 2011, 18:54, edited 1 time in total.

nooby

#53 Post by nooby »

scsijon the Seaside is a user that have made a variant of Shinobar's loadSFSonfly pet.

SFSload by Shinobar
SFSexec by Seaside

I am testing them both and Chromium12.sfs works now. I was just too careless clicking too fast for the program to load :)

scsijon

#54 Post by scsijon »

nooby wrote:scsijon the Seaside is a user that have made a variant of Shinobar's loadSFSonfly pet.

SFSload by Shinobar
SFSexec by Seaside

I am testing them both and Chromium12.sfs works now. I was just too careless clicking too fast for the program to load :)
Thanks nooby, didn't know there were two performing that function, I shall have to check which will be better for puppy58.

I suspect that on first startup the Chromium12 was creating and building your personal config files and directories, I know there is a similar problem with the EudoraOSE that I maintain, it has to happen, but I do warn puppy people.

regards
scsijon

nooby

#55 Post by nooby »

Ahh so that is what it does?
I suspect that on first startup the Chromium12 was creating and building your personal config files and directories,
Can one find such easily then to see what is left when one shut it down?

It did seems to remember my log in but I am not sure. My impatience makes me do so many things in a random sequence that I seldom remember what I did or not did. But I got Chrome 12 going now and

I wish I had such an sfs for SRwareIron instead.

Should I not be able to make one myself using the pet?
pet2sfsconvert? I trust there is such a prog?

nooby

#56 Post by nooby »

I think there are four or so. plus the Portable that one take from a site???

Or three plus the SFS linker.

stu90

#57 Post by stu90 »

adXok wrote:After downloading the .ISO file.. How can I

1. Extract, write, burn the .ISO imge on a USB flash stick
2. The USB flash stick to become bootable after 1. has been done
3. Boot Puppy form that USB stick (PC is able to boot from USB)

For a 100-200 MB .ISO it is frustrating .ISO image burn to CD\DVD to be required!

:)
Hi adXok
If you have windows or a larger linux distribution you could maybe try something like unetbootin to create a bootable usb from an ISO image.
http://unetbootin.sourceforge.net/

stu90

Re: saving settings sfs e.g. xmbc ?

#58 Post by stu90 »

nancy reagan wrote:Hi stu

Made it on my desktop with TCZ linker, thanks again.

I think forgot first to place sfs in root.

BTW, I miss the menu icon at the bottom of the desktop. Bad dld or just the way you made it ?

Pity F12 does not work in lupu anyway, so one can go out of every app -straight- to the menu.

Good job thanks.
See you have sorted this one but for anyone else who might wish to do the same - you can change the look of the fbpanel by going to Menu > Desktop > Desktop Setting > Fbpanel configuration.

nancy reagan wrote:Hi Stu

Sorry about the question on the missing menu ico, found out myself .. grrr.

Not, maybe not the right place to ask, but

If, and HOW, can one save settings on an .sfs, e.g. XMBC, which requires many settings, in order not to do the same ritual every time one loads it ?
Nancy
Normally settings should be stored in your save file but if you wanted them in the .sfs you would need to edit the application.sfs file and add in what ever configuration files and settings the application stores in your save file to the .sfs

You can do this with Edit sfs
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=47469

stu90

#59 Post by stu90 »

JetHTTP server:
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... _0.1-1.pet

Scummvm - adventure games emulator:
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... _1.2.1.pet

Feh + Scrot - command line image viewer and screen shot taker:
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... _1.3.4.pet

Edit /usr/local/bin/defaultimageviewer and add exec feh "$@"
if you want Feh to open image files when you click on them.

clau

#60 Post by clau »

Hi stu90,

I decided to register to the forum, to thank you for the Umplayer pet that you just made. I love it! I've been using Puppy Linux for about a year, learning through this forum. And let me tell you, if a computer illiterate like me can learn about Puppy, anybody can do it. Thanks a lot!

scsijon

#61 Post by scsijon »

nooby wrote:Ahh so that is what it does?
I suspect that on first startup the Chromium12 was creating and building your personal config files and directories,
Can one find such easily then to see what is left when one shut it down?
Have a look under root for a hidden file (usually starts with a . (dot)). It may not be called chromium depending on what chromium is based on. I don't use it as i'm happy with firefox.

regards
scsijon
p.s. I will have a look at Iron for you, but it's BIG and has some dependancies not in puppy, may be a sfs only 01micko project.

nooby

#62 Post by nooby »

I will have a look at Iron for you, but it's BIG and has some dependancies not in puppy, may be a sfs only 01micko project.
thanks. I guess if I make use of the working SRwareIron.pet that I aldready have then Ishould be able to make a normal iron.sfs out of the pet?

Code: Select all

pet2dir then dir2sfs
just my wild guess

Are pet and sfs that different?

what if TCL have Iron.tcz then I only need to rename that one to sfs and it is an sfs for some version of puppy?

stu90

#63 Post by stu90 »

Here is a .pet to download and set National Geographic or NASA image of the day as your desktop wallpaper.

http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... ll_0.1.pet

To run:
Menu Entry in Graphics > Graphics Processing > NGOwall - NASAwall

Or via terminal NGOwall or NASAwall (case sensitive)

Images are downloaded and saved in /root

Video of NGO-NASA-wall in action:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiNS2WWzBy8

petihar

#64 Post by petihar »

@ stu90
Hello stu90,
Excuse my bad english, i'll try my best.... would you please give me the umplayer.pet you made with full language as you propose it in your message.
Many thanks for your lite version, i'am working to translate ( i try !) it in french language.... it's a fine but big job !
Thank you stu, petihar

stu90

#65 Post by stu90 »

petihar wrote:@ stu90
Hello stu90,
Excuse my bad english, i'll try my best.... would you please give me the umplayer.pet you made with full language as you propose it in your message.
Many thanks for your lite version, i'am working to translate ( i try !) it in french language.... it's a fine but big job !
Thank you stu, petihar
Hi petihar,

here should be the link to full language version of umplayer.
http://smokey01.com/stu90/lucid.puppy.p ... svn138.pet

requires Mplayer:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid51x.pet