Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 - v004

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
James C

#91 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install of Lupulite (2.6.38.4)on my old P4 test box.Basically onboard Intel sound, internet and graphics.
Display (1024x768).......good on initial boot.
Sound........... muted on boot but applied fix, working and persistent.
Internet........not connected on boot.No problem getting it working but not persistent, necessary to reconnect every boot. Wired DSL.

No problem with fullscreen video in Firefox.
Looks solid. Now to start adding some stuff. :)

EDIT:

Ended up using the classic Network Wizard instead of SNS and connection is now persistent.

stu90

Re: tripping up in the Lite fantastic

#92 Post by stu90 »

Puppyt wrote: >snipped for size<
Hi Puppyt,
Sounds like your project is coming along. 8)
I have never tested KDE desktop environment in lucid lite - infact i cant recall ever using it, i have on a couple of occasion tried to make .pets out of KDE applications and found they needed at lot of dependencies.

What i do for installed (none python - perhaps there is some similar equivalent for python application? ) applications that don't work is look for the application executable (cog looking icon usually located in /usr/bin) then in a terminal type the command ldd and the application executable location as an example:
ldd /usr/bin/urxvt
This should display what dependencies that application relies on and show any dependencies that are missing.

I did have a look at KeepNote 0.7.2 and tried to make a quick pet with the listed dependencies on the site but my efforts failed - i don;t know much about python other than pretty much every time i try to make a .pet of a python application it doesn't work :(
Not had chance to look at SciPlore yet.
Just as a side note: it is always worth putting up a post in the Requests forum for any application there is no .pet for.
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=62

lucid lite does have a file search and archiver / extractor available in midnight commander file manager (that reminds me, there is no menu entry for midnight commander) - for file search open up a terminal and type the command: mc then go to option > find file. :wink:

If you find yourself stuck at prompt and not auto logged into a windows manager - for JWM and Openbox the commands are:

xwin JWM
xwin openbox

cheers.

stu90

#93 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:I couldnt resist and decided to test. Works fine in my laptop. Nothing to report which I didnt know from my previous tests.
Working monitors. Powerapplet_tray does not work with 2.6.38.4 kernel. You can remove it from /root/Startup. Working monitors, at least in most hw: Gatotray, CPUtemp-1.3, Conky, Psensor, Xsensors (already installed with lm-sensors and libsensors, good catch)

Nice to see that already new kernel has got new home. No more stray dog.

Thank you of your experiment. Looks good, works fine, responds snappy. As Puppy should.
Hi pemasu,
thanks for testing 8)

Yes forgot about powerapplet tray - on a bit of a mix and match with this one using both EZ-woof and Woofy to build :shock:

pemasu

#94 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. I have Midnight Commander menu mc.desktop file and icon for it in Ice Puppy, I think that I searche mc icon from the net and I found it. You can get both from Ice Puppy.

stu90

Re: Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 kernel

#95 Post by stu90 »

Billtoo wrote:I did a frugal install of lucid lite

Computer
Processor 4x AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Memory 8050MB (147MB used)
Operating System Puppy Linux 0.52
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Wed 04 May 2011 08:41:28 AM EDT

Wed 4 May 2011 Operating System: Lucid Puppy-525 Linux 2.6.38.4
5.0 VGA compatible controller: ATI Technologies Inc Radeon HD 3200 Graphics
oem: ATI ATOMBIOS product: RS780 01.00

X Server: Xorg Driver: radeon

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: SGI
server glx version string: 1.2
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: Mesa DRI R600 (RS780 9610) 20090101 x86/MMX+/3DNow!+/SSE2 TCL
OpenGL version string: 1.5 Mesa 7.7.1

AMD Phenom(tm) II X4 810 Processor
Core 0: 2593 1: 2593 2: 2593 3: 2593 MHz

...the above also recorded at '/tmp/root/report-video-glx'.

You weren't kidding when you said lite :), I've added some apps from
the puppy package manager.

It's working pretty well so far.
Hi billtoo and thanks for testing - yes lots of things removed, i havent got round to testing yet with the new kenel build of lucid lite but scsijon apps .sfs ( see first post) comes in handy for when you need some default application that is removed

Billtoo

Lucid 525 lite + experimental Lucid lite 2.6.38.4 kernel

#96 Post by Billtoo »

I've been having fun adding applications to lupulite and I thought it
was time to remaster the live cd but no luck with that.
It created a 169mb iso which I burned to a dvd and after booting the
dvd I still end up with lupulite 1.0,all the stuff that I added isn't
there.
I guess I messed up somehow during the remaster or maybe the script is
broken.
It's working great otherwise, just need to backup my save file in case
I break something :)

stu90

#97 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:Stu90. I have Midnight Commander menu mc.desktop file and icon for it in Ice Puppy, I think that I searche mc icon from the net and I found it. You can get both from Ice Puppy.
Hi pemasu thanks for heads up - i already got it sorted, have a yad script i use for making .desktop files and adding / removing menu entries :D

stu90

#98 Post by stu90 »

Billtoo wrote:I've been having fun adding applications to lupulite and I thought it
there.
broken.
Hi Billtoo,
I have not tested the built in remaster script - I use Woofy to remaster lupu lite:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57037

stu90

#99 Post by stu90 »

Lupu-lite-002 - 2.6.38.4 kernel

Included my ham fisted attempt at audio fix - plus some missing dependencies for mplayer and XBMC
Last edited by stu90 on Fri 06 May 2011, 02:56, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

#100 Post by Billtoo »

stu90 wrote:
Billtoo wrote:I've been having fun adding applications to lupulite and I thought it
there.
broken.
Hi Billtoo,
I have not tested the built in remaster script - I use Woofy to remaster lupu lite:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57037

I took another stab at the builtin remaster script and it created a
custom-puppy.iso which I then ran through woofy.
I just went with the defaults in woofy and it created a my-woofy.iso
which I burned to a dvd.
Yahoo! it worked.

Thanks for pointing woofy out to me :)

pemasu

#101 Post by pemasu »

2.6.38.4-lupe18 kernel has been released. It fixes usb hdd detection problems found in previous kernel.

stu90

#102 Post by stu90 »

James C wrote:Manual frugal install of Lupulite (2.6.38.4)on my old P4 test box.Basically onboard Intel sound, internet and graphics.
Display (1024x768).......good on initial boot.
Sound........... muted on boot but applied fix, working and persistent.
Internet........not connected on boot.No problem getting it working but not persistent, necessary to reconnect every boot. Wired DSL.

No problem with fullscreen video in Firefox.
Looks solid. Now to start adding some stuff. :)

EDIT:

Ended up using the classic Network Wizard instead of SNS and connection is now persistent.
Thanks for testing James C,
003 is uploading should have proper audio fix
and is using Pemasu latest 2.6.38.4-lupe18 kernel.
cheers.

stu90

#103 Post by stu90 »

update to lucid-526-lite-003

See link for info/download:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 308#519308

James C

#104 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of the latest Lucid lite 003 W/2.6.38.4.

Initial boot, booted directly to a prompt.Ran xorgwizard and got desired 1024x768 resolution..
No internet at boot either, ran Network Wizard and acquired connection (wired dsl).Persistent after reboot.
As you probably guessed by now, no sound on initial boot either.Ran Alsawizard and got it working but on reboot no sound again.Just got it working again and rebooting now. OK, sound is working on the second reboot. :) Everything is now working, just took a little tweaking.

Computer
Processor Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 2.80GHz
Memory 512MB (61MB used)
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Fri 06 May 2011 12:59:33 AM CDT
Display
Resolution 1024x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia
Audio Adapter ICH4 - Intel ICH5

VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Multimedia audio controller Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Version
Kernel Linux 2.6.38.4 (i686)
Compiled #2 SMP PREEMPT Thu May 5 16:33:08 GMT-8 2011
C Library GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler Unknown
Distribution Puppy Linux 0.52

Puppyt

#105 Post by Puppyt »

Thanks again stu90,
firstly for the tips on checking dependencies from the console with "ldd" (that has to be a top-10 tip for newbies), secondly for the reminder that you had MC included (I saw it in your OP but forgotaboutit), and thirdly for looking into the issues of KeepNote and SciPlore15b on my behalf. Sorry to put you to that trouble (and hog your forum). I signalled earlier that I might have to throw some parts of my little project to the "Wolves" - aka the Puppy Gurus at large - but I thought I'd have a bash at it first before I put it to Requests. Much hair lost in the process, and I'll have to lick my wounds and leave/beg those issues to ones considerably more knowledgeable than I...
FYI Dejan555 posted a 26Mb pet of the minimal libraries for KDE3.5 way back when - it seems to have solved my KDE problems, though I don't know how to include Java or Python to the bare minimum, to bring a research puplet to fruition. That 'ldd' trick will help heaps though -
Cheers!
Search engines for Puppy
[url]http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html[/url]; [url=https://cse.google.com/cse?cx=015995643981050743583%3Aabvzbibgzxo&q=#gsc.tab=0]Google Custom Search[/url]; [url]http://wellminded.net63.net/[/url] others TBA...

stu90

#106 Post by stu90 »

James C wrote:Fresh manual frugal install of the latest Lucid lite 003 W/2.6.38.4.

Initial boot, booted directly to a prompt.Ran xorgwizard and got desired 1024x768 resolution..
No internet at boot either, ran Network Wizard and acquired connection (wired dsl).Persistent after reboot.
As you probably guessed by now, no sound on initial boot either.Ran Alsawizard and got it working but on reboot no sound again.Just got it working again and rebooting now. OK, sound is working on the second reboot. :) Everything is now working, just took a little tweaking.

Computer
Memory 512MB (61MB used)
User Name root (root)
Display
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia

VGA compatible controller Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
Multimedia audio controller Intel Corporation 82801EB/ER (ICH5/ICH5R) AC'97 Audio Controller (rev 02)
Ethernet controller Intel Corporation 82562EZ 10/100 Ethernet Controller (rev 02)

Version
Hi James C,
Blimey that doesn't sound good :shock:
i don't think it would be new sound fix causing it, i don't know, i haven't encountered any of these problems with my frugal installs - maybe i need to do a rebuild of 003?
You probably already tried but can you check to make sure md5 match.
392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6
thanks.

Oops in trouble now.
Just been round to my parents house to see if 003 would run on some computer other than my own .
Good news. on my mothers windows 7 laptop duel core, 3 gig ram nvida booted to desktop, sound etc ok.
Bad news. as i was waiting for 003 to boot i was playing with one of the dogs who got a bit lively did a 360 spin and smashed into the fireguard sending it shooting along the hearth smashing my mothers ornaments and candle holders. :shock: only surviver is a candle holder i broke in the past then super glued back together with out her knowing :lol:

James C

#107 Post by James C »

stu90 wrote:
James C wrote:Fresh manual frugal install of the latest Lucid lite 003 W/2.6.38.4.

Computer
Memory 512MB (61MB used)
User Name root (root)
Display
OpenGL Renderer Unknown
X11 Vendor (null)
Multimedia

Version
Hi James C,
Blimey that doesn't sound good :shock:
i don't think it would be new sound fix causing it, i don't know, i haven't encountered any of these problems with my frugal installs - maybe i need to do a rebuild of 003?
You probably already tried but can you check to make sure md5 match.
392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6
thanks.

Oops in trouble now.
Just been round to my parents house to see if 003 would run on some computer other than my own .
Good news. on my mothers windows 7 laptop duel core, 3 gig ram nvida booted to desktop, sound etc ok.
Bad news. as i was waiting for 003 to boot i was playing with one of the dogs who got a bit lively did a 360 spin and smashed into the fireguard sending it shooting along the hearth smashing my mothers ornaments and candle holders. :shock: only surviver is a candle holder i broke in the past then super glued back together with out her knowing :lol:

MD5 here is 392dd6698b556c1f22f2972147b45ca6 so that's verified.

Just to make sure everything copied correctly, I'll redo the install a bit later and update the progress.

James C

#108 Post by James C »

Just to double check everything, I re-downloaded, re-checked the MD5 and re-installed. Exactly the same results. No internet or sound on boot.

Got everything working again but no sound icon in taskbar.Watching a fullscreen Youtube video right now.No problem.

James C

#109 Post by James C »

For some reason Lucid 525 has sound problems with these new kernels.Playdayz built a test release with EZ Woof and had sound problems.I manually changed the kernel,modules .etc. in 525 and had, you guessed it, sound problems. :)

Isn't experimenting with new kernels fun..... :lol:

EDIT: Sound icon in taskbar came back when I rebooted.

stu90

#110 Post by stu90 »

Hi James C thank you for testing again.

I guess something must have gone wrong in 003 so i wanted to change as little as possible for this time - this upload is a standard 525 with nothing stripped out.
Only changes are made with EZ-woof - using Pemasu's 2.6.38.4 lupe-19 kernel, alsa mod, different theme and wallpaper.

http://smokey01.com/stu90/lupu-525.iso
md5: 856321429f53430739fe91efc7f42584

cheers.