Broadcom 4306 (B) troubles.

Mivo

Broadcom 4306 (B) troubles.

#1 Post by Mivo »

I've been looking to do something useful with my old Dell laptop. The machine has a 4306 Rev B wireless adapter. Puppy detects the card properly and also loads the correct module (b43legacy), but when trying to connect, it fails to raise the device (ifconfig wlan0 up fails), and the error message "SIOCSIFFLAGS: No such file or directory" is the one I used to get in Arch when I tried b43 instead of b43legacy and the firmware file (ucode4.fw) was not present in /lib/firmware/b43legacy.

Puppy 4.3.1 does have the file in /lib/firmware/b43legacy, and the module is loaded (tried to load it manually, but Puppy reported it was already there). So I'm kind of stumped why it does not work or how to tackle the problem.

(Once that is fixed, I'll have to find a solution for the Broadcam 4322 in my netbook. Wish Broadcom wasn't so widely used.)

Thanks for any hints and points in advance. :)

mikeb

#2 Post by mikeb »

Look for the 'wl' module made for your kernel on this forum (there are 3 main ones now I believe)...it may work better for you.....is made from code direct from broadcom

regards

mike

abelard612

Seeking help with Broadcam 4322 wireless card

#3 Post by abelard612 »

Greetings -

My knowledge of Linux is quite basic. When I search forums for help the posts are generally way over my head.

Would either of you know a way to get my Dynex wireless card to work in the latest version of Puppy? It says all the right drivers are loaded, but no lights on the card. (Broadcom 4322 chip). 14e4:432c - to be exact.

I have used Terminal (Console) on a limited basis, and am totally new to Puppy. (Used to Ubuntu, Mint and Bodhi, of late).

Thank you.

- Troy (Michigan)

rcrsn51

Re: Seeking help with Broadcam 4322 wireless card

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

abelard612 wrote:the latest version of Puppy....
Exactly which version is that? Puppy has several "latest versions".

abelard612

#5 Post by abelard612 »

Had to look it up. It's Puppy Wary 5.3.

rerwin

#6 Post by rerwin »

abelard612,
Your card apparently requires the proprietary Broadcom driver. Although Wary does not contain it, you can download it from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 360#609360
Click on the downloaded file to install the driver and its supporting logic, then reboot to detect your card.
Richard

abelard612

#7 Post by abelard612 »

Alas, no effect. Down'd and installed both drivers, rebooting each time, and the Dynex wireless card remains dark.

I do love the "click to install" mode Puppy allows for when downloading packages, as well as how fast all the applications run on this old Gateway laptop. Without wireless, though, I will have to shop around for another distribution that will work with the Dynex card. (Albeit, sadly).

Thanks to all for replying!

- Troy

rerwin

#8 Post by rerwin »

abelard612 wrote:Alas, no effect. Down'd and installed both drivers, rebooting each time, and the Dynex wireless card remains dark.
Since peebee and I have taken on the task of making the Broadcom wifi cards "just work" in puppy, you could help everyone having the same problem as yours if you could provide us some diagnostic data obtained once you boot up into a fresh (pfix=ram) puppy session. You do that by simply running from the command line:
pmodemdiag
which has been expanded beyond just modems. Please attach the pmodemdiag...tar.gz file it produces in your home (/root) directory, to a posting here or PM to me.

Because I have gone as far as I can to make the devices work, I need new information from those of you still having difficulty. I don't have the various versions of the devices to test with, so need help from anyone having problems after installing one of the packages from peebee. Please don't give up on us, but help us understand the problems.

BTW, the exprimo puppy contains the latest of our fixes for Broadcom. You might try downloading it from here:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 740#606740
and running with it.
Richard