New kernel 2.6.38.4 for puppy/lupu/quirky/WOOF-BUILDER

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
maxerro

GMT-what?

#106 Post by maxerro »

Trying to access China servers is like The Forbidden Quest.

Why is there a second vmlinuz file in the /boot/ direcory in the kernel .pet?
Why is there a /boot/ directory in there at all?

I thought Beijing was GMT+8 ( not -8 )...
I'm sorry - 2many questions...

wuxiandianzi

Re: GMT-what?

#107 Post by wuxiandianzi »

maxerro wrote:Trying to access China servers is like The Forbidden Quest.

Why is there a second vmlinuz file in the /boot/ direcory in the kernel .pet?
Why is there a /boot/ directory in there at all?

I thought Beijing was GMT+8 ( not -8 )...
I'm sorry - 2many questions...
e........... yes , I am sorry ,BeiJing is sure in GMT-8 .
the "pet" is for woof to build puppy not install in puppy.

playdayz

#108 Post by playdayz »

This seems very exciting. It could give Lucid a longer lifespan.

Like sszindian, I am wondering

Is everything working, including alsa? I have seen a couple of advantages mentioned concerning capabilities of the new kernel--are there more?

playdayz

#109 Post by playdayz »

Is it possible to test your kernel without using Woof? I am using frugal installs only.

Terryphi. Sure you can test as you have done before. It is just my humble opinion about most reliable method.
Happy testing with the method you prefer.
I think the EZ-Woof-525 that was just posted might be an easy way to test. I think it is what I will try.

James C

#110 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Is it possible to test your kernel without using Woof? I am using frugal installs only.

Terryphi. Sure you can test as you have done before. It is just my humble opinion about most reliable method.
Happy testing with the method you prefer.
I think the EZ-Woof-525 that was just posted might be an easy way to test. I think it is what I will try.
I just change everything manually, Woof doesn't like me sometimes. :)

We've been doing some testing of pemasu's Ice Puppy w/2.6.38.2
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 245#513245

everything appears to be working well on a lot of different hardware.

I've tested this kernel (2.6.38.3) on a couple of desktops and everything worked with it too.

playdayz

#111 Post by playdayz »

I've tested this kernel (2.6.38.3) on a couple of desktops and everything worked with it too.
JamesC, Would you be testing with Lucid 5.2.5? I have just tried 2.6.38.2-lupe11 from pemasu and the build boots but it does not detect or configure the sound--that is on my regular test machine.

James C

#112 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
JamesC, Would you be testing with Lucid 5.2.5? I have just tried 2.6.38.2-lupe11 from pemasu and the build boots but it does not detect or configure the sound--that is on my regular test machine.
I was being lazy :) , I just downloaded wuxiandianzi's entire iso and tested with it. ( I'd just made a 2.6.38.2 Spup so I needed a break :lol: ) Sound worked on both the main Linux box w/ Via onboard sound and a couple of Intel boxes.

Posting right now on the main (Via) box from Pemasu's latest 2.6.38.2 and sound is working on initial boot.Didn't need to touch anything.

nooby

#113 Post by nooby »

Newest kernel seems to ahve trouble with thermal and fan on Acer D250 but I know too little.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

Puppeteer

Regression in 2.6.38

#114 Post by Puppeteer »

Before everyone gets too excited about the new kernel, it may be worth paying attention to the apparent power consumption regression that seems to have been introduces in the mainline 2.6.38 kernel.

A growing number of users on a wide range of hardware and using different flavors of Linux are reporting increased power usage and hotter running temperatures. As a corollary, wake-ups per second are significantly higher as well.

Phoronix has run a benchmark and had a couple of reports about this lately. Over at Ubuntuforums, there are a number of people reporting significantly reduced battery life on laptops with Natty. A Canonical software engineer has apparently filed a bug report. Perhaps more bug reports will pop up after 11.04 is released next Thursday.

My point is that it may well be worth waiting for the version of the kernel where this regression has been fixed (2.6.38.xx or maybe even 2.6.39).

James C

#115 Post by James C »

playdayz wrote:
Same problem here with Lucid 525-2.6.38.2, no sound.

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.38.2 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP PREEMPT Thu Apr 21 22:44:43 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.11.1 (stable)
Default C Compiler : Unknown
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.52
-Current Session-
Computer Name : puppypc
User Name : root (root)
Home Directory : /root
Desktop Environment : Unknown (Window Manager: Openbox)
-Misc-
Uptime : 23 minutes
Load Average : 2.26, 1.21, 0.82

I've built a couple of other versions with 2.6.38.2, an Spup and an Insidious 002, and the sound and everything worked ootb.

Using my old trusty P3 test box, no sound and really slow..... :lol:

pemasu

#116 Post by pemasu »

Puppeteer. I optimized 2.6.38.2 kernel with Ice Puppy-005 as much as I can for speed. I got 12-14 W power usage with it without doing any extra power saving procedures. I used Powertop to read results. In my experiment I got better power usage results than my previous Snow Puppies with 2.6.35.7 kernel.
I would not be concerned of power usage. About cpu consumption I cant say anything. Ice Puppy and also Snow Puppy loads more monitors and applications running in tray than basic distro so that it is irrelevant to compare them with base distro. Nevertheless, the power consumption was really low. I think I cant get it any better.

Do remember that these builds are not baseline kernels like used in Ubuntu builds. I believe these differ from them quite a lot. There are a lot new stuff in kernels to save battery consumption also. You just need to utilize them.
Kernels have hundreds of options. Just saying some kernel version do this or do that makes no point.

pemasu

#117 Post by pemasu »

About waiting next and better version. There comes all the time better and newer version...... I think waiting is for those who gets the distro in plate.

Barry Kauler abandoned 2.6.35.7 kernel due to its problems. With slight modification in kernel specs the same kernel is now in Snow Puppy and in Fluppy. It has even got extra drivers from forum members, because Puppies official versions are not compatible with all newer drivers, for example wireless drivers.

2.6.38 has support for some of them natively. I think it is good to test new kernels and when you get the specs right, freeze on to that and stop testing. Then it is time compile third party missing drivers. And start to use and build puppy distros with it.

I have only slight understanding for all those kernel specs rows. I think it would be good to have one professional kernel compiler in the ring to check the older specs and the newer ones announced with 2.6.38.
There are already many DOTconfig files to check around.

sszindian

2.6.38.3-2

#118 Post by sszindian »

James C:

I had no luck with sound on the 2.6.38.2 version of 525 that wuxiandianzi put up BUT... if you go to page 7 (this tread) go to the download site I listed there (be sure to check the included graphic I have there) you can get a 525 with the '2.6.38.3-2' kernel that wuxiandianzi redone.... that one works very nice and my sound did configure after alsa + tweeking the main alsa menu... had to manually click checks in the little boxes where it already showed volume was up (something like 75% in YELLOW. Before I tried putting the check-mark in the little box, sound didn't work, after the check-marks were entered, no problem with sound. I never had to do that on any previous puppy but... It Worked! The only thing I lost with the 525-2.6.38.3-2 was my webcam function that works like a charm in Official 525, everything else works just fine. NOTE: keep an eye on your CPU gauge, the new kernel seems to keep mine running 'HOT' until I restart X, then back to normal again... might just be my computer... I can't say?

>>>---Indian------>

PS: Tried your Spup with the 38 build, works nice but I still have the same problems I had with Mic's original 100... waiting that one out for a bit until I see where he's going with the 'Slack-thingy' Are you planning to put the Incidious002 with the new kernel on your new download site?

wuxiandianzi

hi

#119 Post by wuxiandianzi »

playdayz wrote:This seems very exciting. It could give Lucid a longer lifespan.

Like sszindian, I am wondering

Is everything working, including alsa? I have seen a couple of advantages mentioned concerning capabilities of the new kernel--are there more?
playdayz: Hi
yes the new kernel works well win puppy-5.25
the alsa also works.
you can test it here:http://wo18.meibu.com

wuxiandianzi

Re: 2.6.38.3-2

#120 Post by wuxiandianzi »

sszindian wrote:James C:

I had no luck with sound on the 2.6.38.2 version of 525 that wuxiandianzi put up BUT... if you go to page 7 (this tread) go to the download site I listed there (be sure to check the included graphic I have there) you can get a 525 with the '2.6.38.3-2' kernel that wuxiandianzi redone.... that one works very nice and my sound did configure after alsa + tweeking the main alsa menu... had to manually click checks in the little boxes where it already showed volume was up (something like 75% in YELLOW. Before I tried putting the check-mark in the little box, sound didn't work, after the check-marks were entered, no problem with sound. I never had to do that on any previous puppy but... It Worked! The only thing I lost with the 525-2.6.38.3-2 was my webcam function that works like a charm in Official 525, everything else works just fine. NOTE: keep an eye on your CPU gauge, the new kernel seems to keep mine running 'HOT' until I restart X, then back to normal again... might just be my computer... I can't say?

>>>---Indian------>

PS: Tried your Spup with the 38 build, works nice but I still have the same problems I had with Mic's original 100... waiting that one out for a bit until I see where he's going with the 'Slack-thingy' Are you planning to put the Incidious002 with the new kernel on your new download site?

Thank you sszindian,
I will check if something strange is new kernel. you can open "/root/startup/" forder. There are some script in, one script is about cpufrequnce, I do not know if it is.
Or new kernel can not control the fan speed, it iseems that something changed in new kernel.

pemasu

#121 Post by pemasu »

I have uploaded those latest wuxiandianzi builds to the ftp site with smokey01 permission. Md5sums are as a collective text file.
Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/wuxiandianzi_2.6.38_stuff/

wuxiandianzi

pemasu

#122 Post by wuxiandianzi »

Thank you pemasu!

James C

#123 Post by James C »

I tested your latest release on 2 different computers.The first , my old P4 test box with Intel 82865 onboard graphics would not start X.Used "probe" and tried all Intel drivers but no X.
Posting from the other box now with an old Nvidia card.Internet and display (1440x900) are working and correct but no sound. Alsawizard errors out.

Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller

Other than the sound problem everything appears to be working fine and it seems pretty fast.

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1016160 468308 547852 0 54432
Swap: 1228936 0 1228936
Total: 2245096 468308 1776788
#

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.38.4 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Mon Apr 25 10:09:32 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.55
-

wuxiandianzi

James C

#124 Post by wuxiandianzi »

James C wrote:I tested your latest release on 2 different computers.The first , my old P4 test box with Intel 82865 onboard graphics would not start X.Used "probe" and tried all Intel drivers but no X.
Posting from the other box now with an old Nvidia card.Internet and display (1440x900) are working and correct but no sound. Alsawizard errors out.

Multimedia audio controller : VIA Technologies, Inc. VT8233/A/8235/8237 AC97 Audio Controller

Other than the sound problem everything appears to be working fine and it seems pretty fast.

# free
total used free shared buffers
Mem: 1016160 468308 547852 0 54432
Swap: 1228936 0 1228936
Total: 2245096 468308 1776788
#

-Version-
Kernel : Linux 2.6.38.4 (i686)
Compiled : #1 SMP Mon Apr 25 10:09:32 GMT-8 2011
C Library : GNU C Library version 2.10.1 (stable)
Distribution : Puppy Linux 0.55
-
James C :
Thank you very much!
This the frist time I use woof script, I am going on building it. thanks agin for testing and reporting bugs.

pemasu

#125 Post by pemasu »

Patched kernel 2.6.38.4
linux-2.6.38.4-patched.tar.bz2
Patches applied by wuxiandiazi:
aufs2-base
aufs2-kbuild
aufs2-standalone------> from Archlinux
printk------->from Barry Kauler repo
vortex86mx------>from Barry Kauler repo

Download link:
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/wuxiandianzi_2.6.38_stuff/