Lexmark Z11...foomatic-rip failed

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
Ermak

Lexmark Z11...foomatic-rip failed

#1 Post by Ermak »

I started my mother out on Wary Puppy 5.1.2 on an old eMachines eTower 600is (it's her first computer, so puppy is her first OS :) )

Got her online, email, and then I went to install an older Lexmark Z11 printer (on the LPT#1 parallel port).

Downloaded the .ppd file from online (Lexmark-Z11-lz11-V2.ppd)

I used CUPS 1.3.11 for to install the .ppd file, by selecting the .ppd file instead of going to the list (of where the is no Lexmark Z11 listed)

CUPS says that the printer is there and ready for action, but it stops the print job and the printer sits vexedly quiet..

The only explination CUPS gives me is "/usr/lib/cups/filter/foomatic-rip failed"

Any suggestions?

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

A PPD file is not a driver - it is just a text configuration file. You need lots more stuff to make a Lexmark printer work. Please provide the link to the site where you got the PPD file.

The thread directly above this one has information about printer drivers in Wary. Have you read it? In particular, there is a Z600 driver for older Lexmarks that might work with your Z11.

Please report back with the results.

Ermak

#3 Post by Ermak »

I did try the .pets on the previous post, I didn't have any luck after installation. The printer still stood silent.

I downloaded the lz11-v2-1.2.tar.gz file from here http://sourceforge.net/projects/lz11/

When I unziped it and ran the lz11.install from the terminal I got this.

I went to the Puppy Pack Manager and searched the repositories for GCC, then downloaded and installed all packs and dependencies that went along with them.

When I tried to reinstall I got the same message as above.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I have packaged the above driver as a PET and attached it below.
Attachments
lexmark_lz11-v2-1.2.pet
(19.93 KiB) Downloaded 543 times

Ermak

#5 Post by Ermak »

All the errors are gone, and says the job is completed...however the printer still stands silent.

I have checked the cables, they are in place.

I have checked the printer in windoze and it prints.

What in the world do you make of that??

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

Ermak wrote:What in the world do you make of that??
Apparently, this driver doesn't work as advertised. I can't find any alternatives for your Z11.

Ermak

#7 Post by Ermak »

Thank you so much for your help and effort though, if I find it to be something simple I will let you know. I"m going to recheck the connections and try again.

If that doesn't work, I'll check the form for compatible printers and try one of those off ebay.