QtWeb - fast portable browser

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
sindi

Opera 10.63 also works on P55C (2010)

#91 Post by sindi »

12.10 and 11.64 illegal instruction
mplayer tells me I have a P55C
QtWeb and Opera 10.63 are usable
in 192MB memory, tho slow at some sites.

sindi

QtWeb uses less RAM than Opera 10.63 or Firefox 3.6.8

#92 Post by sindi »

Tested on a P55C 166MHz 192MB
Firefox 3.8.6 (2010) 53-94% RAM, 88% CPU
Opera 10.6.3 (2010) 54% RAM, 90% CPU
QtWeb 3.7.2 (2011) 37% RAM, 90% CPU

Tested at google.com with the animated logo.

Firefox takes forever to load.
Opera messes up ebay and google voice.
QtWeb works at both and loads fast.

Again, many thanks for the pet.

keniv

#93 Post by keniv »

I am not sure if this thread is still active. If it is I am looking for some help. I downloaded version 3.8.5 which is the latest version from http://www.qtweb.net/download.html I unzipped it outside my save file. I made the resultant QtWeb executable. However, If I click on this the browser does not open. If I open it in a terminal I get a very long output, most of which I don't understand, then "end of script press enter to exit". I see somebody else reports this earlier in the thread. Has anybody found a solution? I can run the .pet offered in the thread but cannot import favorites in the form of .html. Has anybody got a solution for this?

Regards,

Ken.

Pelo

QtWeb is still active

#94 Post by Pelo »

QtWeb is still active, default browser in unicorn puppy LegOpen from Hungria, for instance.
QtWeb is part of many Quickpets. This browser is light when Qt is already part of the Puppy (Tahrpup, Vividpup, and so on)
Check missing dependancies via the menu 'setup'

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#95 Post by Flash »

I tried QtWeb too, in Werewolf64, with the same result as keniv.
"Check dependencies" in the Setup menu only works on installed packages, which QtWeb is not, at least not when you download it, make it executable and click on it. There is a command that can be used from the console to check dependencies, but I've forgotten it. Can anyone help me out here?

Semme

#96 Post by Semme »

ldd? No, it's NOT dynamic. And if it's not Werewolf's libc version, it may need gconv.

In fact, since 528 can't run the latest, I make due with this version.

HTML files can be drag'n dropped onto Qt's bkmrks bar.
Attachments
qt_ss.jpg
(45.62 KiB) Downloaded 1006 times

keniv

#97 Post by keniv »

That's the same one as I run. It has a few problems but loads very quickly and is fast when browsing. With some sites it seems to stop loading and leaves an incomplete page. At first I thought it was the amount of stuff being downloaded from the site but the wifi try icon stops flashing as well. I am using a low spec machine and so it could be that.

Regards,

Ken.

perdido

#98 Post by perdido »

keniv wrote:I can run the .pet offered in the thread but cannot import favorites in the form of .html. Has anybody got a solution for this?

Regards,

Ken.
A workaround for this problem is when you "Import from HTML" go to the directory with your bookmarks file, all you need to do is manually type in the bookmarks.html (or whatever the file name is) to the file name box and then hit <Enter> and it will import the file.

Semme

#99 Post by Semme »

Bravo!
>>> Living with the immediacy of death helps you sort out your priorities. It helps you live a life less trivial <<<

keniv

#100 Post by keniv »

A workaround for this problem is when you "Import from HTML" go to the directory with your bookmarks file, all you need to do is manually type in the bookmarks.html (or whatever the file name is) to the file name box and then hit <Enter> and it will import the file.
Thanks for that I'll try it. I've found it will import as .xbel so once you get a bookmark list it's easy to import if you install qtweb in another Pup.

Ken.

Pelo

QtWeb 3.8.4 browse the web in Puppy unicorNOPen

#101 Post by Pelo »

QtWeb 3.8.4 browse the web in Puppy unicorNOPen
The best audio and video i have ever got with Puppy ! but i ignore if QtWeb is the cause
Nevertheless, i will try QtWeb 3.8.4 by the musher0 method. If ever i failed, Musher0 would be of some help because he speaks french fluently.

Pelo

Qt dependancies are included in bin

#102 Post by Pelo »

Qt dependancies are included in bin, told me Medor, in french here That is the reason ldd has no result.
QTWEB works perfectly at home, excepted uploading videos to You tube..
But i don't experience a lot of sites. Facebook and our forum are ok (one browser refuse to access the Puppy forum, i dont remember which one) :?

Pelo

Stick topics together

#103 Post by Pelo »

Stick topics together, to avoid people asking again.

Pelo

Facebook not for hungarian Puppies ?

#104 Post by Pelo »

included QtWeb in Slegopen cannot go to Facebook, lot of errors messages. Tried to install 3.8.5, this version does not start on Slegopen

greengeek

Re: qtweb works on 166MHz Gateway Solo 2300

#105 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:Very pleased to report that the QtWeb 3.7.2 pet
installs and loads and appears to
work properly on a 1997 Gateway..
Are you able to post a link to 3.7.2? cheers

Mike Walsh

#106 Post by Mike Walsh »

Hey, GG.

I don't know whether there's a .pet for this kicking around the forum anywhere. I've been doing some searching around for you.....and, although there are plenty of older versions available out there, they're almost all of them Windows .exes.....there's hardly any older Linux versions out there at all.

I can only presume that you want this particular version for a specific reason. The 3.8.5 version compiled for JP-431 seems to run A-OK in the widest range of Pups; would that not do you? It's more secure than the 3.7.2 version, which was known to be vulnerable to a 'denial of service' (DDOS) exploit a few years back:-

https://packetstormsecurity.com/files/1 ... rvice.html

I have a copy of this in my MediaFire a/c, here:-

http://www.mediafire.com/file/j32jy9f6j ... -jp431.pet

Mike. :wink:

greengeek

#107 Post by greengeek »

Hi Mike - thanks for the links. I tried the -jp version (as well as others) but for some reason I get constant ssl errors. I can only make QtWeb run if I accept the "Yes to all" choice when ssl errors are thrown up - and that simply ignores the errors which I assume is a risky approach.

I particularly want a lightweight browser for a laptop I have that lacks the SSE2 cpu flag and i am finding that some of the older versions of browsers are more suitable than later ones - hence the search for versions that other puppians use on similarly old hardware.

Pelo

what should i change in the settings ?

#108 Post by Pelo »

why no access to Facebook and You Tube with QtWeb 3.7.3 ? what should i change in the settings ?
I suppose my puppy-builder wanted to prevent me to go there, and set Qt-Web unabled to visit the sites :evil:

sylvieBidy

Emachine E525 CD Polarpup 005 QtWeb 3.8.4

#109 Post by sylvieBidy »

QtWeb 3.8.4 Polarpup Qt Old Cd Old computer 4GB is perfect first install
Just to try Puppy Linux FRom a friend

hamoudoudou

version 3.8.5 on try.. Unicorn was built with 3.8.4.

#110 Post by hamoudoudou »

version 3.8.5 on try.. Unicorn was built with 3.8.4... which gets me very nervous... Sure Light 48 loaded as SFS on the fly get better results.
3.8.5 not better, unable to answer to my thousands of friends on Facebook (Unicorn 6.0). I can just answer in some fora, after authorization, as forum for discussion about Puppy Linux (this one)