Samsung Printer/Scanner Drivers - Updated 2013

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
faithful

Thanks, Works Great

#61 Post by faithful »

Alway had a problem printing to my Samsung Printer. Now I get great prints and in color too
Using Precise Puppy (5.7 I think).
John

smokey01

#62 Post by smokey01 »

My sister-in-law has a Samsung clx-3305fw printer which works fine across the local wireless network with windows.

I have downloaded the drivers from Samsung here:
http://www.samsung.com/au/support/model/CLX-3305FW/XSA

What is the best way to install these in Slacko-5656?
Is it as simple as running install.sh from the expanded package?

I don't want to break her machine before I disappear for 6 months.

Thanks

outtaspam

Landscape not working ML-2165

#63 Post by outtaspam »

Hi Puppians

I've installed a Samsung ML-2165-W in Cups after installing samsung_print-4.01.17.pet. It is connected with a USB cable to a laptop. It prints well in portrait orientation but retains portrait printing when landscape orientation is selected.

The problem exists in X-Slacko 1.1 and in X-Precise 2.3 .

Thanks for your efforts and replies.

Gus

rcrsn51

#64 Post by rcrsn51 »

smokey01 wrote:I have downloaded the drivers from Samsung here:

Have you read page 1? It has links to driver PETs that support the CLX-3300 series.

step

SCX-3405 monochrome multifunction

#65 Post by step »

I have the monochrome multifunction model SCX-3405 and I would like to print and scan from FatDog64 631 frugal install. Otherwise from Quirky Tahr 6.0.5 full install (it can only do full install). As a last resort, from Precise 5.7.1 frugal install.
Which dotpet, if any, do I need?
I looked for a product support page on the Samsung website, but couldn't find the exact model. Close enough, there's a support page for the SCX-3405W, which looks exactly like my model except for the addition of wireless support. Mine is a 2012 model, this one looks like it's a 2014.
http://www.samsung.com/ca/support/model ... -downloads
In there I found a Linux Printing & Scan Driver V1.00.27.04 released 2014.07.09 by the name ULD_V1.00.27.04.tar.gz.
The first post in this thread links dotpet samsung_print-uld.1.0.21.pet. The filenames are similar, possibly connected.
The same post also links samsung_scan_sam-uld.1.0.21.pet. Would I need both pets to print and scan?
This thread also references samsung_mono-4.00.35.pet but I couldn't find a download link - not that I know it would work for my case.
Thanks in advance.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

rcrsn51

Re: SCX-3405 monochrome multifunction

#66 Post by rcrsn51 »

step wrote:Which dotpet, if any, do I need?
The instructions in the main post are correct for your model.
I would like to print and scan from FatDog64 631 frugal install.
Check the Fatdog Contributor Repo.
Otherwise from Quirky Tahr 6.0.5 full install (it can only do full install).
I have no experience with this one. You would have to contact its developer about printer support.
The same post also links samsung_scan_sam-uld.1.0.21.pet. Would I need both pets to print and scan?
The beauty of Puppy is that you can do a temporary clean install using the "puppy pfix=ram" boot argument and test this yourself.

step

Samsung SCX-3400 printer and scanner installation report

#67 Post by step »

Thank you for your reply. I took the plunge on FatDog and was rewarded with a short, pleasant and ultra-easy experience that is founded on your excellent work and the FD developers'. Really all that was needed was:
  • Start the FD package manager, go to available packages, click Choose Repository, select the contrib repo, search for "samsung", and install the printer package.
  • Start FD control panel, in the System tab click CUPS Manage Printing, answer Yes when asked Need help with adding a printer. This opens a web browser and visits the FD printer support forum thread where rcrsn51 put clear and concise instructions for all printer makes in the first post.
  • Switch to the CUPS tab in the open browser and select Add Printers. Then just follow the steps (with the printer already connected and switched on).
The only anomaly was that CUPS did not report lack of paper in the printer. I printed a Test Page from CUPS. The printer lit the error led, but CUPS marked the job as fully completed. I can live with this issue, as my printer is just a couple of feet away from my PC.

Adding the built-in scanner was just as easy.
  • Install the scanner driver from the package manager, like in the first step above.
  • In the FD Menu click Graphic > XsAne image scanner. This open the Xsane front end. Click on USB (with the printer/scanner turned on AND paper sheets in the the printer feed tray). Xsane takes about 20 seconds to auto-detect the scanner and display a scanning GUI.
  • Just scan.
Thanks again for your help!
P.S. I plan on trying peasyscan as time permits. Xsane works fine but I prefer a simpler GUI.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Fatdog64-810[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/hqZtiB]+Packages[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/6dbEzT]Kodi[/url]|[url=http://goo.gl/JQC4Vz]gtkmenuplus[/url]

rcrsn51

Re: Samsung SCX-3400 printer and scanner installation report

#68 Post by rcrsn51 »

Excellent.
step wrote:P.S. I plan on trying peasyscan as time permits. Xsane works fine but I prefer a simpler GUI.
Fatdog hides Peasyscan under Utility but keeps Xsane in Graphics along with its ancient orange Puppy intro screen.

smokey01

#69 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:
smokey01 wrote:I have downloaded the drivers from Samsung here:

Have you read page 1? It has links to driver PETs that support the CLX-3300 series.
Thanks rcrsn51. I've just noticed your post after 7 months away from my main computer. It's good to be home, for a little while anyway.

I downloaded the samsung_print-uld.1.0.21.pet as suggested by you. I'll let you know if it works.

Thanks

smokey01

#70 Post by smokey01 »

rsrsn51, I finally got around to trying those drivers you suggested.

I tried the samsung_print-uld.1.0.21.pet first but it couldn't find the printer.
I even tried manually setting it up like:

Code: Select all

If it is not being auto-detected, try setting it up manually. Select "AppSocket/HP JetDirect". Enter the URI as:
Code:	
socket://192.168.0.104
but that didn't work either. It said it was connecting to the printer but never did.

I then tried the second pet, samsung cms-uld.1.0.21 but received the same results.

Two other windows laptops were able to print but not slacko 5.6.

I selected the Sumsung CLX3300 series driver when installing. The printer is actually a Samsung CLX-3305fw.

I'm officially stumped. Any ideas.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#71 Post by rcrsn51 »

1. Connect the printer directly by USB. That will determine if you have the correct driver.

2. Run PeasyPort and scan the printer's IP address for standard printer ports like 9100 or 515.

3. Do you have a Puppy firewall in play?
I tried the samsung_print-uld.1.0.21.pet first but it couldn't find the printer.
It's not the job of the printer driver package to find the printer - that's the responsibility of CUPS.

smokey01

#72 Post by smokey01 »

rcrsn51 wrote:1. Connect the printer directly by USB. That will determine if you have the correct driver.
That was my next test if I can get access.
rcrsn51 wrote:2. Run PeasyPort and scan the printer's IP address for standard printer ports like 9100 or 515.
Good idea.
rcrsn51 wrote:3. Do you have a Puppy firewall in play?
Ah yes, I think the firewall may be setup.
rcrsn51 wrote:
It's not the job of the printer driver package to find the printer - that's the responsibility of CUPS.
True.

A couple more tests and I will report back.

Thanks

rcrsn51

#73 Post by rcrsn51 »

The PET contains an additional CUPS backend called smfpnetdiscovery. It may use Samsung's own networking protocol to locate the printer.

I have no experience with Samsung networked printers, so I don't know how it works. It may only work through the official installer program.

Try the command

Code: Select all

/usr/lib/cups/backend/smfpnetdiscovery

DrDeaf

Re: Samsung Printer/Scanner Drivers - Updated 2013

#74 Post by DrDeaf »

rcrsn51 wrote:I have converted this into a PET that supports both the mono and colour models....

....This driver requires more testing with colour models. PLEASE provide feedback - either success or failure.
Hello! Your .pets are referenced in several threads but I hope here is better for posting a good experience with a Samsung C460 all-in-one color laser using FD700 Final.

Downloaded the pets: samsung_print_fd600-uld.1.0.21.pet, samsung_scan_fd600-uld.1.0.21.pet

Converted to .txz format and simply installed as usual.

Set up CUPS, with connected printer via USB and printed/scanned with no problems.

I didn't have a color test page so I just used a convenient photo of no particular merit. I didn't expect publication quality and it worked with no problems.

Thanks!

rcrsn51

#75 Post by rcrsn51 »

Thanks for testing. I looked in the CMS colour correction database, but I could not tell if it applies to your C460.

DrDeaf

#76 Post by DrDeaf »

@rcrsn51
I won't be back to this location until November. I will, however, try the CMS database then and post results. Not to throw stones at the C460, but the printer has its limits.. :lol:
Thanks again!

simes

Samsung M2070W

#77 Post by simes »

Hello, just posting to say thankyou to rscrn51 for maintaining this thread and the driver PET for so long. I'm on an occasional visit to my mother's (a long drive) and she has an old PC on which I installed Puppy 5.2.8 a long time ago, because it wouldn't run anything much else. Today I took her a new Samsung M2070W mono laser all-in-one and at first struggled to get it working. (The Samsung Unified Driver works well on Ubuntu-based releases of Puppy where .deb files can be installed directly but not on 5.2.8.) But having searched the forums and found this thread, the PET worked fine and the printer, which is wireless-LAN connected, is working fine using this driver and ipp:// protocol.

Now to see if I can get the scanner to be recognised via the LAN too! But the printing is the important job and that's done.

01101001b

Samsung Xpress m2020w in LxPup 16.07

#78 Post by 01101001b »

I want just to thanks to rcrsn51 for this thread and effort. It took me 4 days to install my m2020w successfully in my LxPup Xenial 16.07. It took long because samsung_print-uld.1.0.37.pet in Mediafire didn't work in my system and drivers in Samsung page work great in Ubuntu but didn't in LxPup either (CUPS installs printer great also but then again to no avail).

Nonetheless, later than sooner, I could understand my mistake: Using content of samsung_print-uld.1.0.37 file as a guide, I put each and every file in place, and, trying to print from CUPS, nothing happened, except this error: "Filter Fail".

This happened because I understood very late that some files containing text in the pet were indeed (or rather they should be) "symbolic links" after installation.

Correcting the mistake, printer worked flawlessly :-)

Thx!

PS: This is my first post here. Sorry if I made (again) another mistake :-P
Last edited by 01101001b on Sun 12 Mar 2017, 00:16, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

Re: Samsung Xpress m2020w in LxPup 16.07

#79 Post by rcrsn51 »

01101001b wrote:It took long because samsung_print-uld.1.0.37.pet in Mediafire doesn't work at all
I checked this in Tahrpup 605. The PET downloaded and installed correctly. My Samsung SCX-3200 installed correctly in CUPS. There were no problems.

I cannot comment on LxPup.

01101001b

Re: Samsung Xpress m2020w in LxPup 16.07

#80 Post by 01101001b »

rcrsn51 wrote:
01101001b wrote:It took long because samsung_print-uld.1.0.37.pet in Mediafire doesn't work at all
I checked this in Tahrpup 605. [...] There were no problems. I cannot comment on LxPup.
Sorry, my bad :( You're right. I've changed my post accordingly. And thanks again! (because of your work I could find a way to make my printer work like a charm) 8)