Puppy mention in book?

Promote Puppy !
linuxbear

#16 Post by linuxbear »

8-bit wrote:Ed,
You have my curiosity aroused!
Do you use Puppy to write your works?
I.
There are applications available for authors which combine the abilities such as writing, researching and journaling or a notepad. When a book is finished it can be saved into formats like kindle, html and epub. Some are even open source.

Ed Howdershelt

#17 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

[quote="linuxbear"][quote="8-bit"]Ed,
You have my curiosity aroused!
Do you use Puppy to write your works?
I.[/quote]

There are applications available for authors which combine the abilities such as writing, researching and journaling or a notepad. When a book is finished it can be saved into formats like kindle, html and epub. Some are even open source.[/quote]

Is it a single app that can do all that AND save in those formats without loading up other programs to convert files?
If not, I already have all those facilities.
Ed

linuxbear

#18 Post by linuxbear »

[/quote]

Is it a single app that can do all that AND save in those formats without loading up other programs to convert files?
If not, I already have all those facilities.
Ed[/quote]

There are a lot of applications available for writers. I would suggest a web search for writers programs or writers applications

... There are varying opinions on just how good these apps are. I found myself wondering about how Cory Doctorow writes and discovered that he is using Ubuntu and a source-code editor because he does not want an application to be making any assumptions about his grammar and sentence structure. He's probably an EMACS or VI guy too :-)

linuxbear

#19 Post by linuxbear »

"is it a single app that can do all that AND save in those formats without loading up other programs to convert files?
If not, I already have all those facilities."

Ed

There are a lot of applications available for writers. I would suggest a web search for writers programs or writers applications

... There are varying opinions on just how good these apps are. I found myself wondering about how Cory Doctorow writes and discovered that he is using Ubuntu and a source-code editor because he does not want an application to be making any assumptions about his grammar and sentence structure. Cory on writing: "I use a plain-jane text editor that comes with Ubuntu called Gedit. It doesn’t do anything except accept text and save it and let me search and replace it. There were a few text-wrangling features in BBEdit on the Mac that I miss, but not very much. I like writing in simple environments that don’t do anything except remember what words I’ve thought up. It helps me resist the temptation to tinker with formatting. I also use Gedit to compose blog-posts for Boing Boing, typing the HTML by hand, which is an old habit from the early 1990s. I do use syntax coloring to help me spot unclosed tags, but apart from that, I don’t use any automated tools."[/i]

Ed Howdershelt

#20 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

[quote="linuxbear"]
There are a lot of applications available for writers. I would suggest a web search for writers programs or writers applications[/quote]

Probably won't do that. I like my setup as it is.

[quote]...varying opinions on just how good these apps are. ...Doctorow is using Ubuntu and a source-code editor because he does not want an application to be making any assumptions about his grammar and sentence structure.[/quote]

Same here. I don't mind spell-checking, though it's usually underlining names and such. It catches my 3:AM typos, too. NO automated format or grammar-check tools. My characters speak as real people do, not as some 1960 English-class style guide would have it.

[quote]Cory "I use a plain-jane text editor that comes with Ubuntu called Gedit....[/quote]

That or Abiword here. Sometimes I start with Geany and then copy/paste to Abiword for spell-checks.

[quote]typing the HTML by hand...[/quote]

Prob'ly chops his own firewood, too. :)

I use Arachnophilia (not the java version) to zap the RTF files to simplest-possible HTML without all the extra unnecessary garbage current WPs add in conversions.

HTML2PDF makes the PDFs.

ECUB makes the ePubs.

Mobigen makes Kindle-compatibles.
Ed
Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
Science Fiction & Semi-Fiction
http://www.AbintraPress.com

Ed Howdershelt

#21 Post by Ed Howdershelt »

[quote="BarryK"][quote]So... my reason for this message -- other than offering huge kudos -- is to ask whether I can very favorably mention and strongly recommend Puppy Linux in my books without risking a lawsuit.[/quote]
You don't need permission to do that.
However, it is required that you refer to the official sites, puppylinux.com and puppylinux.org.
There are some legal notes on use of the logos:
http://puppylinux.com/faq.htm[/quote]

Well, Barry, my booklet "When Your Computer Has a FLAT" was on the Fictionwise Bestseller list for five weeks.(Mar-April)
http://www.fictionwise.com/ebooks/b1317 ... helt/?si=0

I hope that helped the 'promote Puppy' cause.
I've also personally shared the .iso with and/or made CDs for close to a hundred people while fixing computers or attending book-related promo events. This has the added advantage of making me look like a genius computer-whiz as well as an ebook author. :)

Puppy will also be mentioned in some of my future books.
Thanks for some great software,
Ed
Ed Howdershelt - Abintra Press
Science Fiction & Semi-Fiction
http://www.AbintraPress.com