Multisession CD folders accumulating

Discuss anything specific to using Puppy on a multi-session disk
sgull

Multisession CD folders accumulating

#1 Post by sgull »

The folders (green, dated) shown here from my puppy multisession CDRW Does puppy use each and every one of these each time it starts/runs or just the latest one? Are within these folders what are considered the sav files?

CatDude

#2 Post by CatDude »

Hello sgull
sgull wrote:Does puppy use each and every one of these each time it starts/runs or just the latest one?
From what it say's here: http://www.puppylinux.com/development/howpuppyworks.html
i would say it uses all of them.
howpuppyworks wrote:PUPMODE 77

This is for the multisession CD or DVD. In this case, the persistent storage is composed of folders on the CD/DVD. At each shutdown, the session is saved to a folder, so the CD/DVD accumulates folders. At bootup, these folders are read in reverse order and loaded into ramdisk.
sgull wrote:Are within these folders what are considered the sav files?
I would say 'Yes'

CatDude
[img]http://www.smokey01.com/CatDude/.temp/sigs/acer-futile.gif[/img]

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#3 Post by Flash »

Each of those dated folders is a session you saved, either by choosing to save when you shut down or by clicking on the Save icon on Puppy's desktop. When Puppy boots, it loads those sessions, starting with the latest and finishing with the first, then combines them all to give the state of your Puppy the last time you saved a session. Actually I don't know if it combines them on the fly or waits to combine them until they've all been loaded into RAM. You can "defragment" your multisession Puppy by burning onto a different CD-RW the Puppy iso you're using, then saving to the CD-RW. This creates a multisession CD with a single session which contains the sessions that were combined when you booted the CD-RW you're using now.

You can tell Puppy to skip a session when it boots, by using the puppy pfix=n boot option, where "n" is the number of sessions you want Puppy to skip, starting with the last session you saved.

There are many unique and interesting things you can do with multisession Puppy. I suggest you read some of the threads in the multisession section of the forum, then do some experimenting. :)

sgull

#4 Post by sgull »

Great. Thanks CatDude and Flash for those very helpful replies.

sgull

#5 Post by sgull »

Flash wrote:You can "defragment" your multisession Puppy by burning onto a different CD-RW the Puppy iso you're using, then saving to the CD-RW. This creates a multisession CD with a single session which contains the sessions that were combined when you booted the CD-RW you're using now.
Could you perhaps elaborate or otherwise attempt to clarify for me the above quoted statements? I do think I like the idea of having a single session on the CD-RW which contains the the combined sessions that are on the CD-RW I'm using now. But I'm confused by you saying I could burn onto a different CD-RW the Puppy iso I'm using. Burn the iso image file itself onto a CD-RW? I doubt that's what you're saying. I've already burned the Puppy I'm using from an iso. I'm lost as to what you mean about burning the Puppy iso I'm using to a different CD-RW. :?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#6 Post by Flash »

sgull

#7 Post by sgull »

Excellent! Thanks, big time, for that thread link.

disciple

#8 Post by disciple »

But presumably you're not suggesting that it needs defragmenting, only that it is possible. Is that right, Flash?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sgull

#9 Post by sgull »

disciple wrote:But presumably you're not suggesting that it needs defragmenting, only that it is possible. Is that right, Flash?
I presume that's what he' suggesting. I'm just glad to know the "defragmenting" option/method is there should I determine it would be be necessary or otherwise helpful.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Disciple, I'm using the term "defragment" here to mean something a bit different from what it means for a hard disk drive. I think the process of consolidating all the sessions of a multisession disk into one session is similar enough to defragmenting a hard disk that the word can be used. Don't you? Have you read the thread I linked to?

But no, I'm not saying it needs to be done, I was only describing something he could do if he wanted to. It would need to be done if the CD were filled with sessions.

sgull

#11 Post by sgull »

I've been reading the thread you linked and found that it very well explains what I was unclear about and was asking for elaboration/clarification earlier in this thead. Thank you again Flash.
Last edited by sgull on Thu 14 Nov 2013, 15:44, edited 2 times in total.

disciple

#12 Post by disciple »

I think the process of consolidating all the sessions of a multisession disk into one session is similar enough to defragmenting a hard disk that the word can be used. Don't you?
Yes, I just thought it was worth clarifying in case someone thought the "fragmentation" was a problem.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER