Anyone looked into remastering with a Xen kernel?

Booting, installing, newbie
quoob

Anyone looked into remastering with a Xen kernel?

#1 Post by quoob »

I'm just checking out Puppy as a base to build a live CD Xen system. (The existing Xen live CDs are too big for my use so I'd like a small distro to start with and Puppy seems to be a nice one from what I read here.)

I'm wondering if anyone has tried this and if not, whether there is a good reason why not. I don't want to beat my head against a wall on a problem that is known to be impossible or very hard.

What's to stop me from naively remastering with a pre-compiled Xen kernel and modules along with the Xen-ported guest kernel and modules? The only restriction on kernels that I've seen in my quick scan of the forums and such is inclusion of support for squashfs and ntfs.

Thanks for any advice,

quoob

digitalc4

Did you ever make any progress on this?

#2 Post by digitalc4 »

I was curious as to your success in this? I'm looking to do the same thing and would be interested in hearing of any issues you ran across and any work that could be leveraged.

quoob

Re: Did you ever make any progress on this?

#3 Post by quoob »

digitalc4 wrote:I was curious as to your success in this? I'm looking to do the same thing and would be interested in hearing of any issues you ran across and any work that could be leveraged.
I didn't follow up on using Puppy as a base for a Xen CD project since the lack of response to my query suggested I would be going alone. I ended up starting with Knoppix, purging most of the large apps to make room on the CD, and adding a Debian bootstrap (plus a few packages I require) as my domU userspace. I share a common Xen-ported kernel (and kernel modules) between dom0 and domU. I did a bit of work trying Xenoppix as my base, but I had difficulties with its Japanese language dependencies once I started purging and adding packages -- though there's a good chance I just didn't persist long enough.

BTW, I didn't adapt from the Xen Demo CD because it wouldn't boot on my machine without tweaking boot params. Since my project was to be distributed to students in a course, I wanted the greatest hardware independence possible. Thus, starting with a distro that didn't run smoothly on my fairly common hardware configuration didn't seem like a good idea.

digitalc4

Is your work available?

#4 Post by digitalc4 »

Since you built a implementation for students I was wondering if you made the work publically available? I'm pretty interested in any XEN based thin client builds...