Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Wed 28 Jun 2017, 12:01
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
How to Make a Bootable Flash Drive using ISObooter
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 13 of 14 [208 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
gyro

PostPosted: Wed 03 Feb 2016, 23:22    Post subject:  

@rcrsn51,

Thanks for bringing isoBooter to puppy.

One of the things I like about it is that when you answer 'n' to the splash screen question you can specify boot parameters directly in the 'menu.lst' file.

gyro
rcrsn51

PostPosted: Thu 04 Feb 2016, 05:52    Post subject:  

gyro wrote:
One of the things I like about it is that when you answer 'n' to the splash screen question you can specify boot parameters directly in the 'menu.lst' file.

Exactly. It's frustrating to see community members recommend tools like Unetbootin for Linux because they won't try something different.
gyro

PostPosted: Sun 07 Feb 2016, 23:12    Post subject:  

I just "patched" an iso by adding a ydrv...sfs to the save partition. Wonderful!
gyro
Sylvander

PostPosted: Tue 09 Feb 2016, 13:07    Post subject:  

Added tahrNOP-2a_6.0.2.iso to my ISObooter Flash Drive, as explained in this post.

Seems to be working well. Very Happy

Also included is gparted-live-0.24.0-2-i686-pae.iso.
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Tue 29 Mar 2016, 22:29    Post subject: G'day again rcrsn51, Please Help Booting FatDog64-702
Subject description: I get Error 15: File not found

Guessing maybe it's related to it not having an sfs file when eXtracted or it being 64 Bit, I dunno?...

I just acquired a 5 year old HP EliteBook 8460P Laptop w/ an i5 CPU that Ive fitted 8 GB RAMemory, Shame to waste half of it on a 32 bit Puppy Version, also I suppose it has the newer UEFi, but I have Checked that Not the issue SmileK
L18L

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2016, 04:20    Post subject: Re: G'day again rcrsn51, Please Help Booting FatDog64-702
Subject description: I get Error 15: File not found

initrd.gz is the file which has not been found.
Fatdog has initrd without .gz

Edit menu.lst and remove .gz

Or relaunch script isobooter and choose y at
Code:
Do you want to boot Fatdog64-702 from its splash screen? [y/n]
Atle

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2016, 11:42    Post subject:  

Indeed its a great shame that so many of these gold nuggets remains hidden in the forum and never makes it to the actual public distros released as official.

They should all be rounded up and included. There are now so many gold nuggets around that it becomes a bit weird not to include them in the Woof builder or what its name is. I am not at the level of being able to make such my self, but just by remastering and using one other gold nugget produced by rcrsn51, have raised eyebrows in other forums. Like the combination of Wlanmaker, puppy and webERP/ OpenSourcePOS, that makes anyone able to save a lot of money and have a seriously scalable platform to start with.

As for now one might say Puppy is the Swiss Army Knife of Linux due to its great versatility and flexibility, but why not add these gold nuggets like serial produced by rcrsn51, but also others in order to make it not only a Swiss Army knife, but also WD-40, crowbar, wrench tool, hammer and drone?

You all should know that if the world knew about all these gold nuggets you might see one day that Puppy is included in let say all phones memory so that a company like Huawei can offer a state of the art function in their phone.

I really miss a debate on why these gold nuggets are not included in official distroes. And there are quite lot of them. To many to ignore and to great to fail.

We need to have a roundup on the candidates for becoming a part of the next level Puppy.

I have said this before a long time ago. The homebrew stuff needs to go public. Not remain hidden in the forum and every now and then be seen as its "bumped". We need a well organized treasure hunting team to strip search our very own forum and then a vote system for who is to be included in official releases.

Sorry to starts a thread within the thread, but I am stunned every time I see a gold nugget that i did not know about and its time to start a debate on the issue.
Max Headroom

PostPosted: Wed 30 Mar 2016, 13:58    Post subject:  

L18L, Thanx, Very Helpful

Atle, Yes I Reckon there's Merit in that Suggestion, But I think it needs to be tackled by sum 1 w/ more time & ability than me...

SmileK
Sylvander

PostPosted: Sat 09 Apr 2016, 08:36    Post subject:  

Is it OK to use 64-bit Puppies with ISObooter?
Pelo

PostPosted: Sun 10 Apr 2016, 15:58    Post subject: Explanations in french by esmourguit  

"Exactly. It's frustrating to see community members recommend tools like Unetbootin for Linux because they won't try something different." i totally agree with rcrsn..
I tried ISObooter, it's ok (esmouguit french forum explained how to do in french)
Je vous donnerai le lien (link to arrive) " ISObooter pour Linux ou comment créer un support USB amorçable" it's a translation of rcrsn process, and answers to questions of our francophones testing isobooter.
Some are always searching to retrieve old fashioned boot system, that is true, and they release brand new puppies with that processes which don't know USB ( and laptop, and wirelss connection)
There are several topics, svp type isobooter & esmourguit in puppy search (to type means Taper, taper des caractères sur une feuille de papier)
Maintenant on tape sur l'ordinateur Smile et on clique sur le bleu pour atteindre la page Esmouguit how-to ISObooter

gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 14:14    Post subject: Request for booting PUP ISOs on a GRUB2 flash  

In looking over the instructions for GRUB2 in this thread's Opening Post, and its grub.cfg file enclosed in the PET, there is no sample "menuentry" for booting a PUP such as FATDOG or current Slacko.

2 questions I consider key to use with todays disks
  • Is there a sample menuentry that can be used as a model to boot a PUP ISO from the GRUB2 flash?
  • Does it matter if the ISObooter disk is a GPT disk vs MSDOS disk?
Please recommend, if this is possible or if there are some key use issues that exists in GRUB2 booting Puppy ISOs.

Thanks in advance for your help and advice on this.

Edit: Changed last question from IOSbooter flash to ISObooter disk; as the bootable could be either USB or SATA or other bootable storage peripheral.

Last edited by gcmartin on Mon 11 Apr 2016, 15:27; edited 1 time in total
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 15:18    Post subject:  

My successfull experiment. I have used a 2Gb usb stick with gpt partition table fat32 formatted. Setting flags by gparted I had choice such as "bios_grub", "legacy_boot", "boot". I have set the flag to "boot". From my current puppy I have installed the grub-1.98-i486.pet and launched in console after mounting sdb1 (the usb stick):

Code:
grub-install --force --no-floppy --root-directory=/mnt/sdb1 /dev/sdb

I moved /root/grub.cfg to /mnt/sdb1/boot/grub/ and changed its content to:

Code:
set timeout=10
set default=0

menuentry "Slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi ISO" {
 set root=(hd0,1)
 loopback loop /slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi.iso
 linux (loop)/vmlinuz pmedia=CD pfix=fsck
 initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

Then I have copied slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi.iso to the usb stick. I rebooted choosing the usb boot and it works: it has found the savefiles in sda1 and I'm writing from it. The mine is a bios machine.

LATER: I can't explain why my usb stick works with:

Code:
 set root=(hd0,1)

and not with:

Code:
 set root=(hd1,1)

which should be the correct choice. From a previous install the main sfs and zdrv.sfs where copied to sda1. Removing them from sda1 and booting the iso on the usb stick it complains about the main sfs not found.
watchdog

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 16:20    Post subject:  

I have changed grub.cfg to:

Code:
set timeout=10
set default=0

menuentry "Slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi ISO" {
 set root=(hd0,1)
 loopback loop /slacko-6.3.0.6-uefi.iso
 linux (loop)/vmlinuz pmedia=usbflash pfix=fsck
 initrd (loop)/initrd.gz
}

and have also copied with the iso file the main sfs and the zdrv.sf to the usb stick. It does not complain now about the sfs not found and the iso file is booted.
gcmartin

PostPosted: Mon 11 Apr 2016, 18:08    Post subject: Using GRUB2 for ISObooter  

Seemingly GRUB2 may not be able to achieve boot excepting to copy those files out of the ISO to the area.

@Rcrsn51, might you share your GRUB2 experiences?

Updated: GRUB2 instructions is now found about halfway down in the opening post, here.

Thanks for that

Last edited by gcmartin on Wed 01 Jun 2016, 22:42; edited 1 time in total
Pelo

PostPosted: Tue 12 Apr 2016, 23:01    Post subject: Try Isobooter, that is the message  

What about isobooter, after this Grub4dos review; Grub4dos is my usual tool,
Try Isobooter, says rsncr51, that is done, well nothing bad about it.

Page 13 of 14 [208 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 11, 12, 13, 14 Next
 Forum index » House Training » HOWTO ( Solutions )
Jump to: