aria downloader

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
muggins

aria downloader

#1 Post by muggins »

http://web.archive.org/web/200707030852 ... wto_e.html

Gtk1-based file downloader.
You can drag and drop URL links from Mozilla, Galeon, Konqueror, Opera, and Netscape. The drop points are the download list(where items are placed), or the paste window.
Being gtk1-based it needs:

glib12-1.2.10.pet (53k)
gtk+12-1.2.10.pet (522k)
gdk_pixbuf10-0.22.0.pet (121k)

Run with Menu>Network>Aria
Attachments
aria.png
(25.67 KiB) Downloaded 2683 times
Last edited by muggins on Wed 02 Jun 2010, 01:01, edited 3 times in total.

mouldy

#2 Post by mouldy »

In Puppy 3.01 you need to add libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3

Dingo

#3 Post by Dingo »

I have Aria on dokupuppy:

http://puppylover.netsons.org/dokupuppy ... ad_manager

is this the same version I have?
replace .co.cc with .info to get access to stuff I posted in forum
dropbox 2GB free
OpenOffice for Puppy Linux

mouldy

#4 Post by mouldy »

Aria version 0.10.1pl3 is what is posted here.

lapis

#5 Post by lapis »

I like this download manager as much as any available in Linux.
It can pause and resume reliably and shows all the files you are downloading with many options to queue and prioritize. It also does not waste space by doubling up while downloading like Prozilla and DownThemAll.

It also plays well with sites like Rapidshare and Filefactory which most of the other Linux download managers don't do.

It can download with multi-threading too.

However, this is a rather old version and has a bug whereby the remaining time is not calculated properly. This was fixed in newer versions but the only binaries I could find were for Debian and are a lot larger than this one

Has anybody compiled version 1.0.0 or newer for Puppy?
http://packages.debian.org/changelogs/pool/main/a/aria/

http://aria-rpm.vookimedlo.cz/
Last edited by lapis on Wed 21 Jul 2010, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

muggins

#6 Post by muggins »

lapis

#7 Post by lapis »

muggins wrote:See this thread.
I couldn't find anything new on Aria there. Only Aria2c which I have found to be more trouble than it is worth. Aria2c often fails to start the download and just sits there. It also fails at resuming a download often, especially if you change servers. I tried the flashgot integration, but I hit ctrl+F3 by accident a few times and it stupidly opens up a million downloads and promptly crashes the computer. It also does not play nice with some download sites that Aria works fine with. It is not even lightweight anymore, it has turned into a bloated complicated mess.

Its only advantage is it is supposed to be a multithread downloader but it is such a pain in the ass to put the urls in if you want to download a file from different servers. It also drops servers too easily and there is no facillity to restart. Then there is the hassle of having to go back and put the download site urls in quotes because it bombs otherwise so the flashgot integration ends up being useless a lot of the time.

Aria is neat, has a graphical user interface showing multiple simultaneous downloads in one window, works properly with Rapidshare and the like and will resume properly. You can queue and throttle on the fly, change the order of download priority and schedule. It even can download whole website structures.

muggins

#8 Post by muggins »

Woops! I forgot all about the gui-based aria downloader. Which pupversion are you wanting it for? I tried the debian version, but it doesn't like my versions of libcrypto.so.0.9.7 & libssl.so.0.9.7.

mouldy

#9 Post by mouldy »

If there is a newer version, be nice if somebody packaged it up.

By way I hadnt ever installed aria in 4.xx version of Puppy until now. You will need "libgthread-1.2.so.0" The package for this library offered on linux libraries thread wont work and throws up symbol errors. I found the libgthread-1.2.so.0.0.10 used in Puppy 3.xx is what you want, then create a symlink libgthread-1.2.so.0 back to it. You can do this statically, just copy it from /usr/lib in Puppy 3.xx, dont worry about a package. I remembered Aria worked fine in Puppy 3.xx without the above error, so figured that version of library should work.

Aria 0.10.1pl3 is getting bit long in tooth, but its super stable and tenacious on downloads. I was downloading troublesome file with server disconnecting every 4 minutes and wxdfast would crash frequently. Wget unfortunately timed out after 20 tries so would have to manually reset it every hour and half. I think there is a way to use commandline option and make it do unlimited tries. However I didnt want to figure all that out and just used the very minimal mini gui frontend offered in Puppy which seems to have used the 20 try limit. Wget is great program, just be nice to have a gui frontend that gives point and click access to lot more of its options. I dont use it enough to memorize all this commandline options and dont want to figure it out each time.

muggins

#10 Post by muggins »

Mouldy,

see the first thread, where I've uploaded the latest debian-patched version. Also, it seems to work OK with libgthread-1.2.so.0, from puppy p412.

I thought I'd mention a few alternatives, for anyone having problems with downloaders.

ttuuxxx has Uget in this thread.

I've uploaded the older version, Urlgfe, here.

Aria2fe is a QT3 GUI for aria2c.

2 WX-based downloaders are wxdfast and multiget.

Another older gui downloader is D4X, although some people have experienced it freezing!

2 Java-based downloaders, Jdownloader & Retriever.

Prozilla.

And Lobster's Pwget & Ian's Xwget.

And of course there are plugins for seamonkey, & firefox, that can resume downloads, e.g. DownThemAll.

lapis

#11 Post by lapis »

Hi Muggins, Thank you for updating Aria. It might be long in the tooth but I still find it more reliable than any of the other gui downloaders that I have tried.

However, there is one real deficiency I run in to. Currently the speed limiter can only go to a maximum of 200 which in practice throttles the speed to about 160KB/s. With broadband speeds these days that's a bit slow.

If you still have the files there, I am wondering if it would be not too hard to raise that limit. I don't understand compiling at all but I found in the following file /src/aria.h the line:

Code: Select all

#define MAXSPEEDLIMIT 200
Pardon my extreme ignorance, but would it be just a simple matter of changing that line to something higher like 1000 at least? Or would that break other things?

muggins

#12 Post by muggins »

Hello Lapis,

I'll try altering it, & compiling, in the next few days, and see how it goes.

cheers

muggins

#13 Post by muggins »

Hello Lapis,

can you retry the re-uploaded .pet? I've re-compiled with
#define MAXSPEEDLIMIT 2000, but not having ADSL, can't really
check download speed.

But I can confirm that, if you click Alt and y, to open the default options menu, the Maximum value of speed limiter will allow you to, in theory, set it to 2000.

lapis

#14 Post by lapis »

muggins wrote:the Maximum value of speed limiter will allow you to, in theory, set it to 2000.
Many thanks to you, Muggins. That is brilliant. I can confirm that it is not just theory. I tested it up to the limit of my connection which is 1,500KB/s and it definitely works as it should.

I am surprised that nobody had done it before since the maximum value of the speed limiter can be manually set in the options to be lower anyway.

Plus this executable is even smaller than the old one.

Thanks again.