instructions on compiling acpi_call.ko?

Using applications, configuring, problems
pemasu

#16 Post by pemasu »

Sorry, still no go. Debugfs is ok now but vgaswitcheroo is not on the folder.
Now I found good explanation what should be included to the kernel:
http://en.gentoo-wiki.com/wiki/Vga_switcheroo

I will compile the new kernel, but before the new Ice Puppy will be build, it will take little longer. Been busy next week.

glassparrot

#17 Post by glassparrot »

Yeah, I found the same thing when I compiled the kernel with the Switcheroo option enabled. I tried compiling both with the default kernel settings, and the standard Puppy kernel settings. Next step I'm going to try is to leave the Switcheroo off in the kernel settings, and instead patch it in with the original Switcheroo code.

Thanks for getting the touchpad working, btw... that's a wonderful boon. I'm sorry I didn't test it out before talking with you about it.
Last edited by glassparrot on Mon 09 May 2011, 02:42, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#18 Post by pemasu »

I had some spare time today and I made new compile. Now there is vgaswithcheroo in /sys/kernel/debug. I tested that I was able to send commands.
My radeon does not like switching off without some boot time kernel parameters. Will search the info from net and start testing.
I will upload Ice Puppy-009rev2 tonight. Vga_switcheroo enabled kernel will be lupe21.

pemasu

#19 Post by pemasu »

Download link: http://www.smokey01.com/pemasu/IcePuppy-009rev2/

Now I will take a break for next week, lol.

glassparrot

#20 Post by glassparrot »

Well, switcheroo is still not showing up in the debug folder for me when I

Code: Select all

mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
See you next week. I'm going to keep plugging away at this.

pemasu

#21 Post by pemasu »

I got it showing in my laptop. So the vgaswitcheroo is definitely now supported. To get it showing has been sometimes a problem, I have noticed. It needs sometimes right boot time kernel row parameters depending on graphics.
I used mount -t debugfs none /sys/kernel/debug
cat /sys/kernel/debug/vgaswitcheroo/switch showed my double graphics.

glassparrot

#22 Post by glassparrot »

Can you point me to the information as to what boot parameters I need to use to get your Icepup to show me the vgaswitcheroo folder?

Also, how exactly did you modify the Synaptics driver to make it work with the Elantech touchpad?

pemasu

#23 Post by pemasu »

I didnt do anything else than compiling support for elantech. I havent touched in anything concerning synaptics. For synclient, I use synclient-0.14.6.pet and zsynclient-wrapper pet, dont know the right name cause I have renamed it, it was from Lucid 520 development thread and made by shinobar.
I have synaptics_drv.so, synaptics_i2c.ko, synaptics_i2c_rmi4.ko, synaptics.conf and xorg-synaptics.rules in my build.
Not sure what more information you would like to have.

About boot time options. You can try with nvidia.modeset=1 or whatever driver you use.
<drivername>.modeset=1 or <drivername.nomodeset=0.
I think you should try to search net concerning your graphics chips.
Of course I dont know if I have everything right but at least I got vgaswitcheroo showing in /sys/kernel/debug.

glassparrot

#24 Post by glassparrot »

I did finally get acpi_call.ko properly built and installed... and I learned that through it, I have all the functions that the Asus Graphics Switcher offers on my Eeepc 1015pn. I'm quite satisfied now. I even was able to cut down a version of Puppy to install on a harddrive that allows me to do a ten second switch from one graphics mode to the other, simply by booting it

I did resolve the touchpad issue as well. After struggling with several different pet packages, I simply copied your binary of synclient.bin and replaced the standard Puppy 5.2.5 synclient with it (I had earlier updated my kernel for the Elantech touchpad).

I never did get vga_switcheroo to work properly. I think that the Asus switcheroo part which is still in development might eventually solve my difficulties with it. I did get the vgaswitcheroo folder displaying on Ubuntu with the same computer, so it is possible... but I couldn't get the tool to behave as I wanted it to.

I'm a happy camper now. The only thing that could make me happier is if Asus were to release a BIOS update where you could turn the different graphics cards on and off at will.

Thanks for all your help! You've been very patient with me.
Last edited by glassparrot on Wed 11 May 2011, 16:41, edited 3 times in total.

pemasu

#25 Post by pemasu »

That is great !! Good, that you get it working. The end result is the most important. And this thread lives to show that messing with dual graphics is possible in Puppies also.

Vgaswitcheroo seems to be a little messy. I noticed, and it was also confirmed through net searching that my HD5650 and Intel compo is problematic in 2.6.38 kernels. It leads to black screen or in my case to the screen with full of debug messages.

I will let the vgaswitcheroo to develop for a while. I am also content with acpi_call. I also updated to the version you showed. Seems to work fine. And there seems to be now 3 scripts to mess with acpi_call so the support for various hw has been improved.

glassparrot

#26 Post by glassparrot »

Yes, I also was able to finally build acpi_call.ko on the stock Puppy 5.2.5. It was simply a matter of running "make prepare" on Barry's patched source, as you had suggested. I guess I need to hunker down and learn all about C programming. I really have very little insight into how "make" does its business.