Wary Puppy 5.1.4 - 29 August 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
dogle

#141 Post by dogle »

I was pleased with Barry's choice of old Seamonkey + Adblock, a combination with which I have long been happy.

1. Although I find Adblock very useful in its own right, it is my understanding (correction welcome!) that Adblock suppresses display of barred material, but does not necessarily prevent it being downloaded at your expense. OTOH, Sc0ttman's excellent Puppy Advert Blocker operating via the hosts file prevents the unwanted download, a great boon if you are lumbered with slow/expensive download capability (as many are). I wondered therefore whether Barry might have seen fit to elevate the Puppy Advert Blocker to official PET status - so I went into Puppy Package Manager to check but no, it's not there.

2. I was finding that the 'cancel' button in the PPM was not working, very annoying, I was having to invoke kill to get out of it. Experimenting further, I found said button did work if I clicked in the extreme top left of the rectangle. I deduce that there is some slight misalignment either in my test box or in the latest GUI, anyone else experiencing this?

BarryK
Puppy Master

#142 Post by BarryK »

dogle wrote:I was pleased with Barry's choice of old Seamonkey + Adblock, a combination with which I have long been happy.

1. Although I find Adblock very useful in its own right, it is my understanding (correction welcome!) that Adblock suppresses display of barred material, but does not necessarily prevent it being downloaded at your expense. OTOH, Sc0ttman's excellent Puppy Advert Blocker operating via the hosts file prevents the unwanted download, a great boon if you are lumbered with slow/expensive download capability (as many are). I wondered therefore whether Barry might have seen fit to elevate the Puppy Advert Blocker to official PET status - so I went into Puppy Package Manager to check but no, it's not there.

2. I was finding that the 'cancel' button in the PPM was not working, very annoying, I was having to invoke kill to get out of it. Experimenting further, I found said button did work if I clicked in the extreme top left of the rectangle. I deduce that there is some slight misalignment either in my test box or in the latest GUI, anyone else experiencing this?
Pup advert blocker is in Wary, look in Internet menu.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

arslan

#143 Post by arslan »

@session

Thank you very much for the quick and helpful answer! Jus let me see if I got everything right: first I download and burn Wary 5.1.2 iso, then I boot the computer with it as if installing for the first time, and then
Configure the universal installer
and so on. Is that right?

Many thanx again and all the best!

aragon

Re: Wary Puppy 5.1.2 final

#144 Post by aragon »

L18L wrote:...
Yes, /tmp should be cleaned up completely on shutdown!
But it is not.
Maybe because fido was shutting down?

Anyhow, Barry is wanting solutions for fido, not problems.
well, without problems he needs no solutions...

aragon

jakfish

#145 Post by jakfish »

Just a quick note to say thanks for a most impressive OS. Hard to believe that a brand new Linux can run so well on old hardware.

I'm using 5.12 Final on Sony Vaio Picturebook (PCG-C1VN), 128MB RAM, 4GB CF>HD adapter.

One caveat: the module "sony-laptop" will not load, even after "add module" and saved in Boot Configuration. Upon reboot, "modprobe sony-lap" produces fatal error, no such device.

"sony-laptop" is already loaded in 4.31 and so temperature monitoring and other Sony specifics are available.

Given the ancient machine, I'm probably the only person with this hardware and this OS, so it's probably not worth a solution's time.

But it was great fun to install and run this OS through its paces.

Jake

session

#146 Post by session »

arslan wrote:@session

Thank you very much for the quick and helpful answer! Jus let me see if I got everything right: first I download and burn Wary 5.1.2 iso, then I boot the computer with it as if installing for the first time, and then
Configure the universal installer
and so on. Is that right?

Many thanx again and all the best!
Yeah, that works, though I will usually boot to new versions frugally and update from there so I don't have to burn anything.
Last edited by session on Sun 05 Jun 2011, 18:16, edited 1 time in total.

arslan

#147 Post by arslan »

session wrote:
Yeah, that works, though I will usually boot to new versions frugally and update from there so I don't have to burn anything.
Complete success! :) I decided to upgrade to 5.1.2 via CD, because I am going to need the CD later anyway to spread Puppy among friends. Everything went flawlessly. In the end I did get 2 Seamonkeys, which I resolved as you said, by changing the symlink in /usr/lib/. One strange thing though: after the upgrade, in the menus there was not a trace of programs I had installed -- Open Office, Scribus etc. But after I installed trapster's Puppy Menu Editor (http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=40277) everything showed up where it's supposed to be.

Thanx for your help, all the best!

rodin.s

powerapplet_tray

#148 Post by rodin.s »

Russian Puppy forum member reported that powerapplet_tray in Wary-5.1.2 and some other puppies doesn't work. But he says it works in Lupq-5.1.1.
Here's a link to working powerapplet_tray: http://forum.puppyrus.org/index.php?act ... ttach=7921
I cannot test it. I do not have laptops.
One small thing I've noticed: when I switch PPM interface to Ziggy wary-puppy repo disappears.
And one good news. We have new 3g-network here. And I got new unknown before 3g-modem (Sprint U680 EVDO USB Modem) detected and working in Wary-5.1.2.

abushcrafter

#149 Post by abushcrafter »

freememapplet_tray seems to not update it's state when one has zero space left. So when one frees up some space it does not update it's state. So it still says I have zero space left. Killing it and starting it fixes the issue.
[url=http://www.adobe.com/flashplatform/]adobe flash is rubbish![/url]
My Quote:"Humans are stupid, though some are clever but stupid." http://www.dependent.de/media/audio/mp3/System_Syn_Heres_to_You.zip http://www.systemsyn.com/

rodin.s

vobcopy

#150 Post by rodin.s »

I was testing pdvdsub and found an error:

Code: Select all

vobcopy: error while loading shared libraries: libdvdread.so.3: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
I've made a link to fix it:

ln -s /usr/lib/libdvdread.so.4.1.2 /usr/lib/libdvdread.so.3
Also window dvd-info doesn't close by clicking QUIT button. No big deal though. It could be closed usual way.

p3m4la5

#151 Post by p3m4la5 »

Sorry if I in the wrong room, but I need help to finding opengl driver for my nVidia RIVA TNT ( 16 Mb ). Why here / because I installed Warry 512 in my lovelly old machine ( PIII with 384 Ram ).
Thanks before, I'am totally new in linux world...........

Snail

Choose sfs file from official repo:

#152 Post by Snail »

I have just installed 5.1.2 by the manual frugal method. I wanted to install the skype static sfs. I clicked the decktop install icon, then the bottom right button on the window and selected skype. The download failed. Hitting the "test URLs" buttom reports failure for all sites with "Remote file exists and could contain further links, but recursion is disabled -- not retrieving." The same result was obtained for the devx file.

I got the the skype sfs from ibiblio using Pwsget with no problems, it was even fast for once!

The problem has persisted for a few hours, both before and after my success with Pwsget.

Snail

Wellminded search peculiar in 512

#153 Post by Snail »

I tend to use the wellminded search for puppy stuff.

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.htm

It is working normally in ttuuxxx's puppy 432 with seamonket 2.0.14.

With 512, after I hit search, an error panel pops up, entitled, "Opening crossdomain.xml". It says that Seamonkey doesn't know how to open the file, which is at www.google.com, and offers to save it. I just hit cancel to close the popup. Apart from that the search works as in other puppies.

UPDATE:

Now the wellminded search has stopped working in my Wary 512. It's still fine in 432 but in Wary, the strange message has stopped appearing, but so have all the search results!

Update 2: Tried booting without save file. The behaviour is as I originally reported, a crossdomain.xml problem. It is possible that the reason that the search now completely fails with my savefile in use is that I modified the preferences for cookies. Resetting to allow google cookies doesn't restore things though??

don922

JWM tray went missing

#154 Post by don922 »

Wary512

I was trying to use the Desktop>JWM Configuration>Manager to try to increase the number of virtual desktops to 4. I never did get 4 desktops; I got 1 then on the next try the tray vanished ( see: no-tray.jpg below). The tray should be between the "eye" and the "speaker".

How can I fix this? Without the JWM tray the Wary512 is not usable.

edit I fixed this by copying the following code from another puppy and inserting it in Wary512. I guess this is a common problem with JWM. I had to do this copying because my installation of Wary512 didn't make a backup copy of the jwmrc-tray

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>	
Attachments
no-tray.jpg
(6.36 KiB) Downloaded 1524 times
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

don570

bacon recorder

#155 Post by don570 »

I wrote a GUI audio recorder that records in the background.
Just set the time you want the recording to start and click.
It records in WAV and MP3 stereo and mono

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 102b6323b7

L18L

Re: JWM tray went missing

#156 Post by L18L »

don922 wrote:Wary512

I was trying to use the Desktop>JWM Configuration>Manager to try to increase the number of virtual desktops to 4. I never did get 4 desktops; I got 1 then on the next try the tray vanished ( see: no-tray.jpg below). The tray should be between the "eye" and the "speaker".

How can I fix this? Without the JWM tray the Wary512 is not usable.

edit I fixed this by copying the following code from another puppy and inserting it in Wary512. I guess this is a common problem with JWM. I had to do this copying because my installation of Wary512 didn't make a backup copy of the jwmrc-tray

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>	
With my wary512 I have 4 virtual desktops.
This is no common problem.
Tray Management>Virtual Desktops No of Columns is working for me, even without restarting JWM.
I am fido, don922 who are you? (#whoami)

I did not manage to create a Number of Virtual Desktops of zero.
Anyhow, a small improvement could be made if the preselected No of Columns was set to the actual value. :idea:

Edited 20 Jun 2011
I am now in lupu525 and there changing the numbers of virtual desktops is not possible :!:
Attachments
virtual_desktops.png
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 1399 times
Last edited by L18L on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 17:51, edited 3 times in total.

L18L

virtual desktops

#157 Post by L18L »

text "Maximum of 10 desktop"
should become: "Maximum of 5 desktop"

fido :)
Attachments
virtual_desktops_nd.png
(5.34 KiB) Downloaded 1380 times

`f00

#158 Post by `f00 »

w512 - initial impressions

A reasonable dl (not much over 100mb) and xdeltas available (vital for dialup and also an incentive to test/upgrade serially)

After the usual locale stuff I went straight for Xvesa (res-changer threw me just a bit since I had an old habit of confirm-by-Ctrl+Alt+bs there).

Used ppm to install several dotpets from local (that ui is still some awkward and it now blanks main page text as the choice dialogs find them? guess it has to be that way - far easier to do direct but still).

Even without a reboot for the lib-pkg, qwriter is functional. Plus it seems much snappier than gtk-based apps. Wanna hear a funny? It came up as I clicked the desktop icon (fully expecting Geany). Qt seems rather worthy if a few or several qt apps are used (BK's 'short' lib-pkg makes it an easy choice for the few I tried). Previously I used a personal sfs but now it opens up app-choice considerably!

If sloppy focus in jwm, context menus suffer (get a rootmenu even in window interiors .. except for qt!). Have seen this before in w511 on the roxpin (if you kill roxpin ~or~ Ctrl+select an object, then r-click context menu it goes ok). It's an event/place thing I believe (likely a rare anomaly), and only with a rox pinboard up.

Hmm, is verdana a new choice for TTF? Nope, it was included with an old arora dotpet - I removed it and redid it with syms to BK's lib-pkg, quite a savings size-wise! Nice (extra font), but I would have gone with Tahoma (works better in browsers, etc - as I recall verdana has a few minor issues typewise). Just the ticket for leaf-and-xpad.

(note - the following was a 'split' anomaly in qwriter - leaving a tab open and then unmounting the fs it was on after qwriter was closed .. a bit confusing at first when qwriter opened with blank content in the tab)
Ummm, this file very likely moved (but still a viable sheet in the original location if not closed prior to move). Mistreating electrons again (or still .. "braayyynzzz.." ; ) Hah, when saved it knows it's not yet (cleverer than me, not that it takes much to be). - anyhow, back to twm with some amenities.

Was interested in twm awhile back, so I actually do have more to work with than simply click-and-hmm experiential trialing (kind of fun but it pales after a bit). The 'doc' dotpet was thin gruel (see addenda°) for me but found some local pages I'd saved along with some sample rcs. Still no proper rootmenu display but wbar+conky makes for nice 'training wheels' - twm seems quite lite (0.4% mem in htop) for a wm!

Somewhat like a simple pekwm in the end-button arrangement. Resize and/or a return to original window size from the %#&@ max option a bit tricky - that will be one of the first changes I make in the rc, grabbing the border or trying 'usual' Ctrl/Alt+r/l-drag just ain't flyin' so far :roll: Typically only windows with an internal handle (that little grab in the lower right corner) are easily resized.

Another note - might be a good idea to close tabs before quitting qwriter. Somewhere in that mess it saved this missive as my usual Startup file (*was* on the other tab :/ ).

___a few days in
The roxpin anomaly persists (context menu on desktop items occasionally needs Ctrl keystroke to focus item first and then r-click will give a context menu rather than ignoring the item and giving a 'universal' rootmenu response).

Changed over to Xorg, xload seems a bit heavier but now the winkey option is easier (I get lost in trying to map them effectively if a 'standard' pc102 is all that's recognized). Kybd binds are a mixed blessing sometimes if they're wildly different (or an app/wm uses key-combos that shouldbe reserved for the system, imho :| ). Jwm is kind of a mess for me with the key-config ui or even editing the personal directly, later on I noticed it gives 'warnings' (in xerrs.log) that H, M and P aren't viable modifiers (oh well, maybe later I'll look into it and see where I'm messing up).<-(solved), jwmpersonal was ok but I 'forgot' about the template keybinds (if H, M and P modifiers are not viable then perhaps the info needs update?). This also fixed an annoying side effect in jwm - typing any numeral would switch desktop (it got old having to copy/paste numerals) rather than printing the numeral into the field.

°___addenda 110630 (in wary 020)
My bad on the twm doc-pkg :oops: man or man2html works fine in the file's directory (dope-slap, plz). By the way, twm seems a lot more handle-able in w020 - no issue with resize by grabbing wm border (may be difference in xorg version? or possibly the focus/context thing I occasionally experienced in w512 :| ). Now for some perspirative activity (the trot-by young venison wonders why I haven't done strawberry patch lately .. yeah, you and the %#&@ rabbits - Bambi and Thumper will go thru anything but a stockade fence for a free dessert and graze'em to the root, all that's left is some almost tasteless nano-berries scattered about :P ).
vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection

A couple simple 'branded' tints of the nice conservative bg done by Zig's buddy back when (easy on the eyes, the one for Twm even looks good 'under' a conky if that's the placement) .. embed'd img follows: Image
Attachments
bg24u.tar.gz
1024x768 .jpgs inside
(120.23 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Last edited by `f00 on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.

Snail

Anyone able to replicate my problems?

#159 Post by Snail »

Everyone on this topic seems to be testing either the hardware interfaces or rather esoteric aspects that wouldn't affect many users. The repository and Seamonkey problems that I reported above would surely affect the majority of users? That is if they are found to be general and are not just my installation. Could someone else please test to see if they can replicate them?

The problems exist when booting with pfix=ram and limiting customisation to the minimum required to boot, i.e. clicking all the defaults, and connecting by ethernet, so it's not any customisation of mine causing the issues.

I am running 5.1.2 as a manual frugal install to an ext3 harddrive. The computer is an oldish HP Compaq desktop.

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Memory		: 1026MB (178MB used)
Operating System		: Unknown distribution
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Tue 28 Jun 2011 19:52:45 GMT-12
-Display-
Resolution		: 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
 LiteON HP Basic USB Keyboard
 Logitech USB Optical Mouse
 Power Button
 Power Button
 PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21L
ATA ST3808110AS
Some new problems i have found:

Seamonkey cannot display this web page properly:

http://geoguide.palmerstonnorth.co.nz/

The page displays fine in Seamonkey 2 in ttuuxxx's 4.3.2 V3, Lucid Puppy 5.01 and in an old Firefox in PCLinuxOS 2009. I believe that it also worked in the original 4.3.1 seamonkey 1, but I don't have that ISO any more to check.

The text based parts perform OK but the main panel should display a cadastrral map overlaid on aerial photographs, instead of being blank.

Abiword behaves in a most peculiar manner. However as this has been the case for all puppies that I have tried since the original 4.3.1, I will post about this on the beginners' forum. Basically the keyboard mapping is totally stuffed on entry until you resize the window or hit the tab key twice!

It looked like Wary 5.1.2 would be another "real" official Barry K Puppy, the first since 4.3.1. A modern update for 431 would be just what the doctor ordered. However this Wary seems not yet as polished as 431 was.

don922

#160 Post by don922 »

snail wrote:Seamonkey cannot display this web page properly:

http://geoguide.palmerstonnorth.co.nz/

The page displays fine in Seamonkey 2 in ttuuxxx's 4.3.2 V3, Lucid Puppy 5.01 and in an old Firefox in PCLinuxOS 2009. I believe that it also worked in the original 4.3.1 seamonkey 1, but I don't have that ISO any more to check.
For me the page does not display in Seamonkey2 in Puppy 4.3.2v3 nor in Firefox5 in Lucid Puppy 5.25 nor in the old Seamonkey in Wary 5.12.

Google's "Opening crossdomain.xml" seems to be a bit of harassment that Google inflicts on anyone not using a fairly current browser. I don't get the notification using the 2 current browsers listed in the previous paragraph.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]