Wary Puppy 5.1.4 - 29 August 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
p3m4la5

#151 Post by p3m4la5 »

Sorry if I in the wrong room, but I need help to finding opengl driver for my nVidia RIVA TNT ( 16 Mb ). Why here / because I installed Warry 512 in my lovelly old machine ( PIII with 384 Ram ).
Thanks before, I'am totally new in linux world...........

Snail

Choose sfs file from official repo:

#152 Post by Snail »

I have just installed 5.1.2 by the manual frugal method. I wanted to install the skype static sfs. I clicked the decktop install icon, then the bottom right button on the window and selected skype. The download failed. Hitting the "test URLs" buttom reports failure for all sites with "Remote file exists and could contain further links, but recursion is disabled -- not retrieving." The same result was obtained for the devx file.

I got the the skype sfs from ibiblio using Pwsget with no problems, it was even fast for once!

The problem has persisted for a few hours, both before and after my success with Pwsget.

Snail

Wellminded search peculiar in 512

#153 Post by Snail »

I tend to use the wellminded search for puppy stuff.

http://www.wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.htm

It is working normally in ttuuxxx's puppy 432 with seamonket 2.0.14.

With 512, after I hit search, an error panel pops up, entitled, "Opening crossdomain.xml". It says that Seamonkey doesn't know how to open the file, which is at www.google.com, and offers to save it. I just hit cancel to close the popup. Apart from that the search works as in other puppies.

UPDATE:

Now the wellminded search has stopped working in my Wary 512. It's still fine in 432 but in Wary, the strange message has stopped appearing, but so have all the search results!

Update 2: Tried booting without save file. The behaviour is as I originally reported, a crossdomain.xml problem. It is possible that the reason that the search now completely fails with my savefile in use is that I modified the preferences for cookies. Resetting to allow google cookies doesn't restore things though??

don922

JWM tray went missing

#154 Post by don922 »

Wary512

I was trying to use the Desktop>JWM Configuration>Manager to try to increase the number of virtual desktops to 4. I never did get 4 desktops; I got 1 then on the next try the tray vanished ( see: no-tray.jpg below). The tray should be between the "eye" and the "speaker".

How can I fix this? Without the JWM tray the Wary512 is not usable.

edit I fixed this by copying the following code from another puppy and inserting it in Wary512. I guess this is a common problem with JWM. I had to do this copying because my installation of Wary512 didn't make a backup copy of the jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>	
Attachments
no-tray.jpg
(6.36 KiB) Downloaded 1524 times
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

don570

bacon recorder

#155 Post by don570 »

I wrote a GUI audio recorder that records in the background.
Just set the time you want the recording to start and click.
It records in WAV and MP3 stereo and mono

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 102b6323b7

L18L

Re: JWM tray went missing

#156 Post by L18L »

don922 wrote:Wary512

I was trying to use the Desktop>JWM Configuration>Manager to try to increase the number of virtual desktops to 4. I never did get 4 desktops; I got 1 then on the next try the tray vanished ( see: no-tray.jpg below). The tray should be between the "eye" and the "speaker".

How can I fix this? Without the JWM tray the Wary512 is not usable.

edit I fixed this by copying the following code from another puppy and inserting it in Wary512. I guess this is a common problem with JWM. I had to do this copying because my installation of Wary512 didn't make a backup copy of the jwmrc-tray

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>	
With my wary512 I have 4 virtual desktops.
This is no common problem.
Tray Management>Virtual Desktops No of Columns is working for me, even without restarting JWM.
I am fido, don922 who are you? (#whoami)

I did not manage to create a Number of Virtual Desktops of zero.
Anyhow, a small improvement could be made if the preselected No of Columns was set to the actual value. :idea:

Edited 20 Jun 2011
I am now in lupu525 and there changing the numbers of virtual desktops is not possible :!:
Attachments
virtual_desktops.png
(10.88 KiB) Downloaded 1399 times
Last edited by L18L on Tue 28 Jun 2011, 17:51, edited 3 times in total.

L18L

virtual desktops

#157 Post by L18L »

text "Maximum of 10 desktop"
should become: "Maximum of 5 desktop"

fido :)
Attachments
virtual_desktops_nd.png
(5.34 KiB) Downloaded 1380 times

`f00

#158 Post by `f00 »

w512 - initial impressions

A reasonable dl (not much over 100mb) and xdeltas available (vital for dialup and also an incentive to test/upgrade serially)

After the usual locale stuff I went straight for Xvesa (res-changer threw me just a bit since I had an old habit of confirm-by-Ctrl+Alt+bs there).

Used ppm to install several dotpets from local (that ui is still some awkward and it now blanks main page text as the choice dialogs find them? guess it has to be that way - far easier to do direct but still).

Even without a reboot for the lib-pkg, qwriter is functional. Plus it seems much snappier than gtk-based apps. Wanna hear a funny? It came up as I clicked the desktop icon (fully expecting Geany). Qt seems rather worthy if a few or several qt apps are used (BK's 'short' lib-pkg makes it an easy choice for the few I tried). Previously I used a personal sfs but now it opens up app-choice considerably!

If sloppy focus in jwm, context menus suffer (get a rootmenu even in window interiors .. except for qt!). Have seen this before in w511 on the roxpin (if you kill roxpin ~or~ Ctrl+select an object, then r-click context menu it goes ok). It's an event/place thing I believe (likely a rare anomaly), and only with a rox pinboard up.

Hmm, is verdana a new choice for TTF? Nope, it was included with an old arora dotpet - I removed it and redid it with syms to BK's lib-pkg, quite a savings size-wise! Nice (extra font), but I would have gone with Tahoma (works better in browsers, etc - as I recall verdana has a few minor issues typewise). Just the ticket for leaf-and-xpad.

(note - the following was a 'split' anomaly in qwriter - leaving a tab open and then unmounting the fs it was on after qwriter was closed .. a bit confusing at first when qwriter opened with blank content in the tab)
Ummm, this file very likely moved (but still a viable sheet in the original location if not closed prior to move). Mistreating electrons again (or still .. "braayyynzzz.." ; ) Hah, when saved it knows it's not yet (cleverer than me, not that it takes much to be). - anyhow, back to twm with some amenities.

Was interested in twm awhile back, so I actually do have more to work with than simply click-and-hmm experiential trialing (kind of fun but it pales after a bit). The 'doc' dotpet was thin gruel (see addenda°) for me but found some local pages I'd saved along with some sample rcs. Still no proper rootmenu display but wbar+conky makes for nice 'training wheels' - twm seems quite lite (0.4% mem in htop) for a wm!

Somewhat like a simple pekwm in the end-button arrangement. Resize and/or a return to original window size from the %#&@ max option a bit tricky - that will be one of the first changes I make in the rc, grabbing the border or trying 'usual' Ctrl/Alt+r/l-drag just ain't flyin' so far :roll: Typically only windows with an internal handle (that little grab in the lower right corner) are easily resized.

Another note - might be a good idea to close tabs before quitting qwriter. Somewhere in that mess it saved this missive as my usual Startup file (*was* on the other tab :/ ).

___a few days in
The roxpin anomaly persists (context menu on desktop items occasionally needs Ctrl keystroke to focus item first and then r-click will give a context menu rather than ignoring the item and giving a 'universal' rootmenu response).

Changed over to Xorg, xload seems a bit heavier but now the winkey option is easier (I get lost in trying to map them effectively if a 'standard' pc102 is all that's recognized). Kybd binds are a mixed blessing sometimes if they're wildly different (or an app/wm uses key-combos that shouldbe reserved for the system, imho :| ). Jwm is kind of a mess for me with the key-config ui or even editing the personal directly, later on I noticed it gives 'warnings' (in xerrs.log) that H, M and P aren't viable modifiers (oh well, maybe later I'll look into it and see where I'm messing up).<-(solved), jwmpersonal was ok but I 'forgot' about the template keybinds (if H, M and P modifiers are not viable then perhaps the info needs update?). This also fixed an annoying side effect in jwm - typing any numeral would switch desktop (it got old having to copy/paste numerals) rather than printing the numeral into the field.

°___addenda 110630 (in wary 020)
My bad on the twm doc-pkg :oops: man or man2html works fine in the file's directory (dope-slap, plz). By the way, twm seems a lot more handle-able in w020 - no issue with resize by grabbing wm border (may be difference in xorg version? or possibly the focus/context thing I occasionally experienced in w512 :| ). Now for some perspirative activity (the trot-by young venison wonders why I haven't done strawberry patch lately .. yeah, you and the %#&@ rabbits - Bambi and Thumper will go thru anything but a stockade fence for a free dessert and graze'em to the root, all that's left is some almost tasteless nano-berries scattered about :P ).
vidcard0 - RV280 (aka ATI Radeon 9200), AGP
vidcard1 - not used, but also RV280 (switched off in BIOS - aka Radeon 9200SE), PCI (old-style)
soundcard - emu10k1 (aka Creative Audigy 2 ZS or SB0350)
boot/save method - liveCD multisession (cd-rw media)
limitations - no printer, no internet connection

A couple simple 'branded' tints of the nice conservative bg done by Zig's buddy back when (easy on the eyes, the one for Twm even looks good 'under' a conky if that's the placement) .. embed'd img follows: Image
Attachments
bg24u.tar.gz
1024x768 .jpgs inside
(120.23 KiB) Downloaded 325 times
Last edited by `f00 on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 11:44, edited 2 times in total.

Snail

Anyone able to replicate my problems?

#159 Post by Snail »

Everyone on this topic seems to be testing either the hardware interfaces or rather esoteric aspects that wouldn't affect many users. The repository and Seamonkey problems that I reported above would surely affect the majority of users? That is if they are found to be general and are not just my installation. Could someone else please test to see if they can replicate them?

The problems exist when booting with pfix=ram and limiting customisation to the minimum required to boot, i.e. clicking all the defaults, and connecting by ethernet, so it's not any customisation of mine causing the issues.

I am running 5.1.2 as a manual frugal install to an ext3 harddrive. The computer is an oldish HP Compaq desktop.

-Computer-
Processor		: 2x Intel(R) Pentium(R) 4 CPU 3.40GHz
Memory		: 1026MB (178MB used)
Operating System		: Unknown distribution
User Name		: root (root)
Date/Time		: Tue 28 Jun 2011 19:52:45 GMT-12
-Display-
Resolution		: 1280x1024 pixels
OpenGL Renderer		: Mesa GLX Indirect
X11 Vendor		: The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter		: HDA-Intel - HDA Intel
-Input Devices-
 LiteON HP Basic USB Keyboard
 Logitech USB Optical Mouse
 Power Button
 Power Button
 PC Speaker
-Printers (CUPS)-
CUPS-PDF		: <i>Default</i>
-SCSI Disks-
HL-DT-ST DVD+-RW GSA-H21L
ATA ST3808110AS
Some new problems i have found:

Seamonkey cannot display this web page properly:

http://geoguide.palmerstonnorth.co.nz/

The page displays fine in Seamonkey 2 in ttuuxxx's 4.3.2 V3, Lucid Puppy 5.01 and in an old Firefox in PCLinuxOS 2009. I believe that it also worked in the original 4.3.1 seamonkey 1, but I don't have that ISO any more to check.

The text based parts perform OK but the main panel should display a cadastrral map overlaid on aerial photographs, instead of being blank.

Abiword behaves in a most peculiar manner. However as this has been the case for all puppies that I have tried since the original 4.3.1, I will post about this on the beginners' forum. Basically the keyboard mapping is totally stuffed on entry until you resize the window or hit the tab key twice!

It looked like Wary 5.1.2 would be another "real" official Barry K Puppy, the first since 4.3.1. A modern update for 431 would be just what the doctor ordered. However this Wary seems not yet as polished as 431 was.

don922

#160 Post by don922 »

snail wrote:Seamonkey cannot display this web page properly:

The page displays fine in Seamonkey 2 in ttuuxxx's 4.3.2 V3, Lucid Puppy 5.01 and in an old Firefox in PCLinuxOS 2009. I believe that it also worked in the original 4.3.1 seamonkey 1, but I don't have that ISO any more to check.
For me the page does not display in Seamonkey2 in Puppy 4.3.2v3 nor in Firefox5 in Lucid Puppy 5.25 nor in the old Seamonkey in Wary 5.12.

Google's "Opening crossdomain.xml" seems to be a bit of harassment that Google inflicts on anyone not using a fairly current browser. I don't get the notification using the 2 current browsers listed in the previous paragraph.
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

Snail

Geoguide page

#161 Post by Snail »

don992 wrote:

PostPosted: Today, at 07:34 Post subject:
snail wrote:
Seamonkey cannot display this web page properly:

For me the page does not display in Seamonkey2 in Puppy 4.3.2v3 nor in Firefox5 in Lucid Puppy 5.25 nor in the old Seamonkey in Wary 5.12.

Google's "Opening crossdomain.xml" seems to be a bit of harassment that Google inflicts on anyone not using a fairly current browser. I don't get the notification using the 2 current browsers listed in the previous paragraph.
Don,

That's very strange, I have just re-checked with the old Firefox in PCLinuxOS2009 and the Seamonkey 2s of 4.3.2V3, LucidPuppy 5.01 and in addition Seamonkey 2 .sfs with Puppeee 1.0 and it works in all of them. We are both a long way off the main Internet backbone, especially me. The site is in New Zealand. maybe it is just being super-slow to get to where you are.

Would you mind rechecking some time. Also, could you have a look at Abiword, starting from the desktop icon, not the main menu? For me, none of the alpha-numeric keys work and enter or space opens a complete new instance of Abiword with each click! JamesC was not able to replicate this in 4.3.2V3 but it is universal for me since 4.3.2, occurring in Puppeee1.0, LucidPuppy 5.01 and now Wary. 4.3.1 and earlier, no problem.

Does the sfs repository work for you?

Does anyone know if there Is there any work-around for the well-minded search crossdomain problem? Faking the browser identification perhaps? In the initial state it is annoying enough, but modifying the cookie preferences in the same way as I do for all my browsers has totally and permanently broken the wellminded search, which is a PITA.

Snail

Abiword

#162 Post by Snail »

For a full description of my weird Abiword problem see:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69382

EDIT It seems to be a type of focus problem. Makoto has suggested that mouse clicking the window might fix it. He's right. But it is not all that simple, see my reply in the above thread.

Shep

#163 Post by Shep »

Can the screensaver be activated by a keypress to blank the screen immediately?

Snail

SFS Install still brokem

#164 Post by Snail »

Nobody has responded to my query as to whether or not this feature works for them. I have just tried again and it is still broken on every mirror.

Oddly, the Test URLs button click seems to give quite different reasons for failure from each site than if you go to the Download SFS File button for the same site.

L18L

Re: Choose sfs file from official repo:

#165 Post by L18L »

Snail wrote:The problem has persisted for a few hours, both before and after my success with Pwsget.
a few hours...
that had made me think that it does not exist any more. :wink:

But anyhow, you are fido. Right?

# whoami
fido
#
I am running wary512 as user fido. The solution for your problem is:
Edit /usr/sbin/sfsget drag next line

[ "`whoami`" != "root" ] && exec sudo -A ${0} ${@}
and drop it to line 8.
Do this as root.

# whoami
fido
# su
Password: 
# geany /usr/sbin/sfsget &
And if that was not your problem it will enable all fido users to use sfsget from the desktop icon.

Snail

SFS Download broken

#166 Post by Snail »

L18L I have not used Fido at all. Not being a great hacker I am attempting to test the simple things. When I find a problem, I confirm it with pfix=ram, unless otherwise stated. So this is a really basic fault. It's still there, or was a few minutes ago.

Snail

What is the expected behaviour for spot and fido in 512?

#167 Post by Snail »

Can anyone point me to a complete and reliable description of the use and expected behaviour for these two users? I have searched around and have picked up a disjointed and incomplete picture so far.

I ask because I thought that I should test L18L's post two posts above and ran into an information hole.

I was running pfix=ram, so root was the login user. I can use "su" and "exit" commands from console to switch around between users and whoami confirms it sort of works. I don't need passwords to do this. Presumably this is because booting pfix=ram means nothing is fully set up?

I was surprised at one thing: su-ing into spot meant that from the console, I could see but not modify a file in /root/my-documents, using geany. This seems OK. What surprises me was that if I leave the console window open, while still logged in as spot, I can both see and modify the same file using the desktop icons. When I return to the console, whoami confirms that I am still spot.

I decided against trying any fido testing until I know a bit more about what I am doing!

bones01

the grey screen of nothingness

#168 Post by bones01 »

Thought I'd give Wary5.1.2 a go so ran it from cd (pfix=ram) to see it, and it seemed good so I did a frugal install. Everything seemed to go ok, but once I had the savefile in place as usual, next time I went in, all I got was the grey screen - that which appears when setting the video display.

Perhaps it was a Xorg issue, so deleted everything and re-installed as frugal again but this time with vesa. Everything looked good, and this time started without the cd, but when I next re-booted the computer, I got the same grey screen. ctrl-alt-bksp allowed me to logout but I can't get in!

I'm using Lucid 5.2, so I'm not too worried, but wanted to report it in case it's a bigger issue for someone else, and there might be a bug here.

bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Snail

Default user agent

#169 Post by Snail »

My bank required me to spoof my browser useragent string to allow me in. It works fine using the Tools -> Default User Agent -> Internet Explorer. I could use Firefox instead of IE for this site, which keeps it in the open source community. Maybe the default options available in the switcher could be widened a little in a later Wary?

I thought that I would try the geoguide site that I reported earlier as not working.
Spoofing as IE8 made the map visible. It is only a partial fix, You cannot drag the map, nor change the tool selection with the mouse. As I noted before, this site works fine in Seamonkey 2, even without spoofing. However the seamonkey 1.18 in Wary has obviously got some extras when compared with the 1.18 in Puppy 4.3.1. In 4.3.1, spoofing, by direct editing in about;config since it doesn't have a switcher, does not make the map visible.

Spoofing also fixed the crossdomain problem with the Wellminded search that I reported earlier.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#170 Post by BarryK »

I think that Puppy 4.3.1 has SeaMonkey 1.1.8, whereas Wary 5.1.2 has SeaMonkey 1.1.18.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]