Wary Puppy 5.1.4 - 29 August 2011

Please post any bugs you have found
Snail

SFS Download broken

#166 Post by Snail »

L18L I have not used Fido at all. Not being a great hacker I am attempting to test the simple things. When I find a problem, I confirm it with pfix=ram, unless otherwise stated. So this is a really basic fault. It's still there, or was a few minutes ago.

Snail

What is the expected behaviour for spot and fido in 512?

#167 Post by Snail »

Can anyone point me to a complete and reliable description of the use and expected behaviour for these two users? I have searched around and have picked up a disjointed and incomplete picture so far.

I ask because I thought that I should test L18L's post two posts above and ran into an information hole.

I was running pfix=ram, so root was the login user. I can use "su" and "exit" commands from console to switch around between users and whoami confirms it sort of works. I don't need passwords to do this. Presumably this is because booting pfix=ram means nothing is fully set up?

I was surprised at one thing: su-ing into spot meant that from the console, I could see but not modify a file in /root/my-documents, using geany. This seems OK. What surprises me was that if I leave the console window open, while still logged in as spot, I can both see and modify the same file using the desktop icons. When I return to the console, whoami confirms that I am still spot.

I decided against trying any fido testing until I know a bit more about what I am doing!

bones01

the grey screen of nothingness

#168 Post by bones01 »

Thought I'd give Wary5.1.2 a go so ran it from cd (pfix=ram) to see it, and it seemed good so I did a frugal install. Everything seemed to go ok, but once I had the savefile in place as usual, next time I went in, all I got was the grey screen - that which appears when setting the video display.

Perhaps it was a Xorg issue, so deleted everything and re-installed as frugal again but this time with vesa. Everything looked good, and this time started without the cd, but when I next re-booted the computer, I got the same grey screen. ctrl-alt-bksp allowed me to logout but I can't get in!

I'm using Lucid 5.2, so I'm not too worried, but wanted to report it in case it's a bigger issue for someone else, and there might be a bug here.

bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

Snail

Default user agent

#169 Post by Snail »

My bank required me to spoof my browser useragent string to allow me in. It works fine using the Tools -> Default User Agent -> Internet Explorer. I could use Firefox instead of IE for this site, which keeps it in the open source community. Maybe the default options available in the switcher could be widened a little in a later Wary?

I thought that I would try the geoguide site that I reported earlier as not working.
http://geoguide.palmerstonnorth.co.nz/
Spoofing as IE8 made the map visible. It is only a partial fix, You cannot drag the map, nor change the tool selection with the mouse. As I noted before, this site works fine in Seamonkey 2, even without spoofing. However the seamonkey 1.18 in Wary has obviously got some extras when compared with the 1.18 in Puppy 4.3.1. In 4.3.1, spoofing, by direct editing in about;config since it doesn't have a switcher, does not make the map visible.

Spoofing also fixed the crossdomain problem with the Wellminded search that I reported earlier.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#170 Post by BarryK »

I think that Puppy 4.3.1 has SeaMonkey 1.1.8, whereas Wary 5.1.2 has SeaMonkey 1.1.18.
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Snail

Seamonkey in 431

#171 Post by Snail »

Barry I must respectfully disagree:

The version of 431 that I downloaded from the "Official" directory in Ibiblio a couple of days ago is the one I was testing. It has Seamonkey 1.1.18 not 1.1.8.

Interestingly, although this 431 and Wary 521 both have Seamonkeys with the same version number, the useragent strings, before "spoofing", are not the same:

Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20090910 SeaMonkey/1.1.18 #from 1.1.18 in Puppy 431
Mozilla/5.0 (X11; U; Linux i686; en-US; rv:1.8.1.23) Gecko/20091216 SeaMonkey/1.1.18 #from 1.1.18 in Wary 521

sindi

Wary 5.12 and Firefox 4

#172 Post by sindi »

Firefox 4 downloaded from mozillla unpacked in /mnt/home.
This same installed version works in Puppy 4.31 and Pulp01 (< pup 412)
What might I have done wrong in Wary (frugal)? I sort of randomly clicked on various questions about importing bookmarks and home pages from Netscape.

Seamonkey 2.0.14 works fine with Wary. Only other problem is loadlin does not work with Wary (or Lucid) though it does with Puppy 4.

Shep

#173 Post by Shep »

Will the K3771 USB modem work in Wary? Vodafone's new 850MHz band in Australia uses this modem, among others, and I will buy the K3771 if I know the 3G support in Wary will allow it to be used.

dalderton

#174 Post by dalderton »

Wary 5.1.2 with full install, Optus broadband 3G modem Huawei e173 modem recognised as soon as it was plugged in and walked me through like a babe in the woods to connection, Absolutely Brilliant!!! Interestingly Lucid 5.2.5 got there with some prompting and Lucid 264 would not find it at all. Strange are the ways of the Pup. All of these were full installs on separate partitions of the same equipment.
Regards Dennis.

DaveS

#175 Post by DaveS »

Here is a great minimal size theme for Seamonkey 1.* It is no longer supported, but is bug free as far as I can tell and I have been using it for several years.

Install the .pet. It will create a directory in /root/ called pinball. Inside you will find the Pinball theme, but also a local theme installer. This is needed for SM 1*.

Just load the installer as a local web page, and from it navigate to the pinball theme or drag/drop it from Rox.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

Re: Wary 5.12 and Firefox 4

#176 Post by DaveS »

sindi wrote:Firefox 4 downloaded from mozillla unpacked in /mnt/home.
This same installed version works in Puppy 4.31 and Pulp01 (< pup 412)
What might I have done wrong in Wary (frugal)? I sort of randomly clicked on various questions about importing bookmarks and home pages from Netscape.

Seamonkey 2.0.14 works fine with Wary. Only other problem is loadlin does not work with Wary (or Lucid) though it does with Puppy 4.
Generic Firefox 4 needs dbus which is not included in Wary. Install the version from your package manager, which is compiled specially for Wary and all will be fine :)
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

dalderton

#177 Post by dalderton »

The only downside for me with 5.1.2 is that it will not unzip for some unknown reason. Also on shutdown it shows half a dozen or so inode faults.
ODD!
Regards Dennis

DaveS

Re: JWM tray went missing

#178 Post by DaveS »

L18L wrote:
don922 wrote:Wary512

I was trying to use the Desktop>JWM Configuration>Manager to try to increase the number of virtual desktops to 4. I never did get 4 desktops; I got 1 then on the next try the tray vanished ( see: no-tray.jpg below). The tray should be between the "eye" and the "speaker".

How can I fix this? Without the JWM tray the Wary512 is not usable.

edit I fixed this by copying the following code from another puppy and inserting it in Wary512. I guess this is a common problem with JWM. I had to do this copying because my installation of Wary512 didn't make a backup copy of the jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<!-- Additional Pager attributes; width, height -->
		<Pager/>
		<!-- Additional TaskList attribute: maxwidth -->
		<TaskList/>	
With my wary512 I have 4 virtual desktops.
This is no common problem.
Tray Management>Virtual Desktops No of Columns is working for me, even without restarting JWM.
I am fido, don922 who are you? (#whoami)

I did not manage to create a Number of Virtual Desktops of zero.
Anyhow, a small improvement could be made if the preselected No of Columns was set to the actual value. :idea:

Edited 20 Jun 2011
I am now in lupu525 and there changing the numbers of virtual desktops is not possible :!:

Appologies for being so late to the party, only just begun playing with Wary. For a long time now, JWM Configuration has been troublesome. To change the number of desktops, go to /root/.jwm, and open jwmrc-personal as text. Edit the line: '<Desktops width="2" height="1"/>' to set how many virtual desktops you want. Desktops width= and then your required number. Save and exit. Re-start Jwm and you are done.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#179 Post by DaveS »

Anyone looking for an alternative browser for Wary might be interested to note generic Opera 11.50 runs well with no missing deps.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

benny7440

Some apis in Wary512 won't close: have to kill

#180 Post by benny7440 »

I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum &, if I'm, I'm sorry: redirect me to the correct one or move to an appropriate location.

Since my main email acct. is from yahoo & they're changing their service soon to a newer version that requires updated browsers & my Seamonkey one is the 1.1.18 version, which is not a recent one, I need to change.

The other day I decided to accept the browser's recommendation of d/l an update but it didn't work out well, so I decided to give it another chance by doing it manually directly from the Mozilla site. I followed their instructions but the newer version never launched after trying in various ways. Today I tried a previously d/l FF 5.* pet file &, even though it installed correctly & an icon appeared in the Internet tab from the main Menu, it never launched either. Even more, the icon disappeared from its place.

I then went to the repo & selected Seamonkey 2.0.11 & installed it, I'm sure the original browser was still running while the new one was been installed. It never launched, either.

What to do in this case?

DaveS

Re: Some apis in Wary512 won't close: have to kill

#181 Post by DaveS »

benny7440 wrote:I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct forum &, if I'm, I'm sorry: redirect me to the correct one or move to an appropriate location.

Since my main email acct. is from yahoo & they're changing their service soon to a newer version that requires updated browsers & my Seamonkey one is the 1.1.18 version, which is not a recent one, I need to change.

The other day I decided to accept the browser's recommendation of d/l an update but it didn't work out well, so I decided to give it another chance by doing it manually directly from the Mozilla site. I followed their instructions but the newer version never launched after trying in various ways. Today I tried a previously d/l FF 5.* pet file &, even though it installed correctly & an icon appeared in the Internet tab from the main Menu, it never launched either. Even more, the icon disappeared from its place.

I then went to the repo & selected Seamonkey 2.0.11 & installed it, I'm sure the original browser was still running while the new one was been installed. It never launched, either.

What to do in this case?
This gives you a bit more info, from a few posts above this one http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 352#545352
dbus is the problem.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

tempestuous

#182 Post by tempestuous »

Here is the older version of the Ralink rt3070sta driver, to support "middle-era" Ralink-based (RT2070/RT3070) USB wifi devices. These older devices appear to not work properly with the latest rt3370sta driver.
I patched the source code to additionally support these devices:
- Linksys-WUSB100-V2 USB ID 1737:0078
- TP-Link TL-WN321G & older Tenda W541U USB ID 148F:2070

I don't have a Wary development installation, so the driver was graciously compiled by rcrsn51.

Snail

Wrong thread

#183 Post by Snail »

sorry :(

PANZERKOPF

#184 Post by PANZERKOPF »

The Remasterpup2 crashes when iso file is mounted.
Incorrect definition of variable: "VIRTUALCD".

VIRTUALCD=$(mount -t iso9660|grep '^/dev/loop' | sed -e 's/on[ ].*+//' -e 's/[ ]type[ ]iso9660[ ].*$//')
When we mount some iso file as loop device, this variable has three "words" :
"device" "on" "mountpoint". This is incompatible with Xdialog because it needs
tag and item fields of each choice: "device" "mountpoint" .
Example:

VIRTUALCD=`grep -E "loop.*iso9660" /proc/mounts | cut -f 1-2 -d ' ' | tr '\n' ' '`  
Making "tr" at end of construction prevents crash if we have mounted many iso files.
SUUM CUIQUE.

wanderer

wary 512 bug

#185 Post by wanderer »

hi guys

puppy is the greatest

and it is the only distro I use

however I have a problem

wary 512 won't play mpg in full screen

just opens a little box

wmv plays full screen automatically

on a related note