Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Tue 21 Oct 2014, 13:27
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Wary Puppy 5.1.4 - 29 August 2011
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
Page 6 of 29 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
rodin.s

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 08:03    Post_subject: sound test on ESS1868  

No sound after replacing files on ISA soundcard ES1868. Sound setup with alsaconf or modprobe snd_es18xx.
Sage

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 12:02    Post_subject:  

Quote:
No sound after replacing files on ISA soundcard ES1868.

Unless you do a FULL installation an ISA card will need to be re-detected manually every time because the ISA bus is no longer scanned automatically. Or so I have been advised.
rerwin

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 12:43    Post_subject: Simpler way to specify default sound card  

In "ALSA Wiki" http://alsa.opensrc.org/MultipleCards#How_to_choose_a_particular_order_for_multiple_installed_cards I found this method of specifying the driver(s) to be assigned to an ALSA card slot number:
Quote:
How to choose a particular order for multiple installed cards

Which card is card number 0, 1 and so is by default determined by module load order. This is particularly useful to choose which card becomes the default one.

In theory therefore it is possible to choose which of several installed cards becomes card 0, the default one, by ensuring its driver module is loaded first. (Note: this assumes that each sound card requires a different driver. If you have two soundcards of the same type, please skip to the next section.)

There are two ways to achieve this, the "old" index= option of the card driver module, and the alternative (and new) slots= option of the snd module.
The older "index=" method

An example configuration for two sound cards is like below:

# ALSA portion
options snd cards_limit=2
alias snd-card-0 snd-interwave
alias snd-card-1 snd-ens1371
options snd-interwave index=0
options snd-ens1371 index=1
# OSS/Free portion
alias sound-slot-0 snd-interwave
alias sound-slot-1 snd-ens1371

The newer "slots=" method

Alternatively, you can use the slot option instead of the index options:

options snd slots=snd-interwave,snd-ens1371

Then, the first slot (#0) is reserved for snd-interwave driver, and the second (#1) for snd-ens1371. You can omit index option in each driver if slots option is used (although you can still have them at the same time as long as they don't conflict).

According to ALSA-Configuration.txt, The slots option is especially useful for avoiding the possible hot-plugging and the resultant slot conflict. For example, in the case above again, the first two slots are already reserved. If any other driver (e.g. snd-usb-audio) is loaded before snd-interwave or snd-ens1371, it will be assigned to the third or later slot.

If puppy no longer creates the old snd-card and snd-slot statements, perhaps the alsawizard could avoid them, as well, by switching to the "newer" method. It could generate a single "options snd slots=xxx" statement instead of two lines. FWIW, modinfo for snd shows 3 possible arguments:
Quote:
slots: Module names assigned to the slots. (array of charp)
major: Major # for sound driver. (int)
cards_limit: Count of auto-loadable soundcards. (int)

Just an idea.

Also, the current ALSA assignments are listed in /proc/asound/modules (e.g., "0 snd_intel8x0").
Richard
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Tue 17 May 2011, 16:00    Post_subject:  

I used Burniso2cd to burn the Wary 5.1.1.56 iso onto a blanked mini CD-RW (210 MB), choosing Burniso2cd's multisession option. Booted the newly burned CD in a computer with a Gigabyte MA78GPM-DS2H motherboard and 4GB of RAM.

On first boot, Puppy configured the sound without my having to do anything. I chose 1366 x 768 screen resolution (the native resolution of my display), changed the desktop icons and made their names bigger with Set global font size. Tried watching a DVD but the DVD player's idea of full screen was only about half of my display. Sad

This computer is not connected to the internet, so, there not being anything else I could think of to do and it being past my bedtime, I shut down, saving to the multisession CD. I haven't tried rebooting yet, but all indications are that it will work fine.
session

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 02:01    Post_subject: dual agere problem  

BarryK wrote:
Request for sound testing.

I was discussing a problem with sound with rerwin just prior to releasing Wary 5.1.1.56, but deferred it until now. Rerwin has outlined the issue in his above post.

It may be that the solution is extremely simple. Originally, I had code in /sbin/pup_event_backend_modprobe to assign card slot numbers.
However, the existence of /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base.conf changes the ball game entirely.

I have simply removed my slot assignment code in pup_event_backend_modprobe. It works fine on my laptop.

I would welcome testers.

OK, I've finally tested this on this machine, sound is fine but the wrong modem variant issue remains as described in that thread. The surefire way to fix it is to manually hide the variant in /lib/modules.
stiginge

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 07:37    Post_subject:  

My screen doesn't seem to do 1280x1280 resolution. The pinboard seems to stretch the full length of the screen, however applications only seem to go 1280x1024, when I believe I need 1280x1280. Is this possible in 5.1.1.56?
nooby

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 07:43    Post_subject:  

stiginge wrote:
My screen doesn't seem to do 1280x1280 resolution. The pinboard seems to stretch the full length of the screen, however applications only seem to go 1280x1024, when I believe I need 1280x1280. Is this possible in 5.1.1.56?

Is this same anomality as when I try to get 1024 x 768 but only get 1024 x 600.

Sounds similar to me. Could it be some built in thing in JWM?

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 23:39    Post_subject: Re: screen saver bug  

broomdodger wrote:
wary 5.1.1.56 and 5.1.1.53 screen saver bug

Menu > Desktop > pupX set properties of X > Screensaver
+ enable screen saver
+ check blank screen rather than pattern

+ wary starts screen saver with blank screen,
+ but key or mouse will only return to show the mouse pointer,
+ can reboot computer blindly

+ uncheck blank screen,
+ screen saver "X" is displayed and
+ returns to wary ok

both of these settings work ok in wary 5.1.1

I tried this, and it worked ok for me.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Wed 18 May 2011, 23:42    Post_subject: Re: sound test on ESS1868  

rodin.s wrote:
No sound after replacing files on ISA soundcard ES1868. Sound setup with alsaconf or modprobe snd_es18xx.

I don't understand your post, it it is too cryptic.

Sage

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2011, 01:05    Post_subject:  

Quote:
I don't understand your post

The question is whether or not the ISA bus is scanned by default? Most (all?) present distros no longer seem to do this, but it does seem to remain in most kernels, so ALSA or w.h.y. will always need to be run manually unless a FULL install is present. We discussed this wrt Puppy a long time ago and similar discussions have appeared on other Fora. Previously, I have explained why it is preferable to run an old ISA card with onboard amp, provided a suitable board can be found and a cpu that runs in it. The MSI Ms-6378v2 is one such board; it accepts Barton cpu s. It will run most contemporary Linux distros and takes SDRAM. The sound quality is amazing.
M. rodin.s would do well to avail himself of the 'Search' facility. It would be helpful if, during discussions of kernels, those who dabble with such could alert folks to any changes to the complement of bus-accesses. As I recall, this was the case with the 'real' scsi bus - a cause célèbre indeed!
BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2011, 05:10    Post_subject: Re: Sound change report - with- and without ALSA modem  

rerwin wrote:
On my PC with only a normal (intel8x0) sound card and the two files, upon reboot, the sound operates normally. And further reboots are also normal.

However, if I start the alsawizard and then immediately either cancel out of it or say "no" to saving the new settings (after making no changes), the sound no longer works. Running aplay from a console yields the following:
Quote:
# aplay /usr/share/audio/2barks.au
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4154:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4633:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2211:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:608: audio open error: No such file or directory
#
But rebooting after that restores the sound function. Also, if I say "yes" to saving the new settings, the sound continues to work.

I then tested the new files on a Thinkpad with a built-in (ALSA) modem. All (including pupdial) went normally until I tried the alsawizard test. After canceling out of the wizard, neither sound nor the modem would work. Modemtest could not see the modem. But a reboot restored both.

I then tried the alsawizard test on wary without the fix and found that it behaves the same as above after the cancel-out. So, this is apparently a longstanding issue. The search for sound cards must damage the current settings; the wizard probably should restore them if the new settings are not saved.

As a further test, I ran the wizard and let it save the new settings. The sound continued to work, but the modem could not be seen by pupdial/modemtest. (I trust that a reboot would again restore the modem.)
Richard

I want to bring out Wary 5.1.2 rc1 very soon, so I think that I will just do a quick workaround for this, for now -- a message right at the start of 'alsaconf' that a reboot is required afterward, in those circumstances.

BarryK
Puppy Master

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2011, 10:31    Post_subject:  

Ok, I have released Wary 5.1.1.57, which is 5.1.2 rc1 (Release Candidate), see blog announcement:

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02299

rerwin

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2011, 11:30    Post_subject:  

Barry,
I am working on alsaconf. It appears that the reason the cards do not respond after use of the wizard is that the drivers have been removed by the wizard (alsaconf). I think that merely modprobing all of the "current" drivers should restore operation. I am also experimenting with using the "options snd slots=" technique.
Richard
Sage

PostPosted: Thu 19 May 2011, 13:01    Post_subject:  

Magnifique! All the quirks seem to have disappeared on this Wary.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Fri 20 May 2011, 00:39    Post_subject:  

To continue my post from here, the multisession CD-RW rebooted with all settings intact.

Since the DVD player's full screen only filled half my screen, I downloaded Xine UI from the Wary 5 repository and installed it. (Xine is the only DVD player that has consistently worked well for me in Puppy.) It was supposed to create an entry in Menu -> Multimedia but it didn't. Nevertheless, Xine started when I entered xine in a console. However it crashed Xwindows when I tried to configure it. I restarted by entering xwin at the prompt and after that Xine worked ok. I think the glitch was in the Xine .pet, not Wary. Xine played The Adventures of Baron Munchausen full screen all the way through without a hitch.
Display_posts:   Sort by:   
Page 6 of 29 Posts_count   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, ..., 27, 28, 29 Next
Post_new_topic   Reply_to_topic View_previous_topic :: View_next_topic
 Forum index » House Training » Bugs ( Submit bugs )
Jump to:  

Rules_post_cannot
Rules_reply_cannot
Rules_edit_cannot
Rules_delete_cannot
Rules_vote_cannot
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum