GimpOS released also a request for Puppy version of this

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
sickgut

GimpOS released also a request for Puppy version of this

#1 Post by sickgut »

Hello dogfarmers, sickgut here.

I have made a Linux OS that pretty much only has the Gimp + all plugins and documentation, JWM + Xorg + Rox-filer. GimpOS is distributed as a .img.gz (ie. an .img image file that is gzipped). GimpOS runs from a 2GB or larger USB flash disk or SD/ SDHC card or similar bootable media and is a Live - Persistent distro. The USB filesystem is FAT32 and the virtual linux ext3 filesystem is contained within the 'live-rw' file. The USB disk itself is writable from within GimpOS and sharing of your Gimp image files is possible with other Windows or Linux computers as both these OSes can read and write to the FAT32 filesystem. The entire OS runs very mush like Puppy frugal install and disk fragmentation isnt a problem as there is only 1 main file that gets updated and written to that is a fixed 950mb in size.

Get it here:

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/gimpos

or

goto http://www.thepussycatforest.info then click on the GimpOS link.

I am posting the release of this distro here because it is very Puppy like in that it has the same JWM ROX Xorg interface and it also a frugal distro. Also I am trying to show as many Puppy users this project as it would be very much better if a Puppy OS could be made to do the same thing. Asking for help on this matter by ask ing the Puppy community directly via the use of this forum seems the most efficient way.

This has been a side project for me while im preparing my Pussy OS (debian based distro that has been made to look like Puppy and includes the same apps that runs from a 2gb or larger USB flash disk, the plus being the 100% compatibility with the Debian repos and full apt-get support) that is going to be released in a week or 2.

I would have liked to release a Puppy based version of this but my Puppy skills are not so much that im able to strip everything that is non-gimp out of Puppy and still make it go.

The Debian base I used to make this is 245mb in size and with Xorg Gimp JWM ROX and all the drivers we are left with a compressed image size of 400 MB+. Im sure a Puppy based version of this would be much smaller.

If somebody has advice on how to make a Puppy distro that contains only Gimp then please let me know. Also if there are volunteers who would like to help me then please let me know.

The install instructions and other info is on the site.
sickgut
Attachments
GimpOS1.png
The GimpOS logo
(34.47 KiB) Downloaded 1832 times

nooby

#2 Post by nooby »

Manual help to make the links clickable :)

http://www.thepussycatforest.info/gimpos

http://www.thepussycatforest.info

should I use the same grub4dos code on ntfs HDD for frugal?
any suggestion if it need something else.
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sickgut

re: frugal NTFS

#3 Post by sickgut »

Hi nooby,

i havent tried any HDD installation of this yet, only USB installs. Aparently its quite easy to put it on a HDD and then install grub using the same settings as listed in the live-config files that the Debian Live system uses to boot GimpOS with.

But, if you do get this working on a HDD please can you post a how-to on this thread? I would love to put your instructions on the site.

Thanks
sickgut

nooby

#4 Post by nooby »

oops
the Debian Live system uses
I guess I have to look up how they do things then but I failed to open the .img file to separate out the minitrd.gz and linux26 and such files that most likely is needed to boot ? But I have only experience from booting iso like Antix and Swift and such Simply Mepis variety have never used pur Debian them are very big usually.

sickgut

re: .img and debian live etc

#5 Post by sickgut »

Hi nooby,

Yeah .img files not as easy to open up at and see whats inside them as a ISO. I think the UltraISO program for Windows can convert a .img to a .iso and .iso are much ea sier to modify. There may be other programs available that do the same thing but i dont know of any at the moment ill see if i can look them up.

This is how i made the debian live persistent USB thingy:

Downloaded the http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/relea ... andard.iso

Aparently this can also be dd'd to a usb drive because its a hybrid iso that can be burned to cd-r or imaged to a usb device directly.

This doesnt give you a live persistent as standard, just a normal live debian. To make it persistent i used the program at this website: http://linuxliveusb.com/

It is a Windows program. You just insert your USB device, and run the program. Select the debian-live.iso and then specify how large you want the save file to be (in the case of GimpOS i chose 950mb) then it will format the USB drive and then copy the .iso to the USB stick and BOOM you have a live persistant usb stick.

The "Lili" program backs up the normal debian-live live.cfg and syslinux.cfg and others and puts its own edited ones on the drive. I think these are the files you need to get a hold of to see how the live system boots everything .

actually ill upload these files to my website in a single.zip file.
http://www.thepussycatforest.info/gimpos/files/cfg.zip

sorry i cant be of much more help, im not particularly fluent in grub or installing usb linux distros to hdd.

Hope this helps
Sickgut

nooby

#6 Post by nooby »

Hahah, I have chose to avoid Ms Windows on principal or how to say it in proper English. So if it is no puppy linux easy way to make a iso out of the img or to boot it like an img frugally just like that?

Can one use the intitrd from AntiX? Or can I download an initrd from the internet maybe?

sickgut

re: nooby

#7 Post by sickgut »

hi nooby

I have an idea. Get the http://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/relea ... andard.iso

and copy the intrid out of that as it is the same as the GimpOS one. actually everything to do with the boot process is the same as GimpOS it has everything there. GimpOS has a few of the files backedup and renamed to -old because Lili installed edited versions. The only difference i see between the Lili edited GimpOS and the standard debian-live.iso is an entry to add the "persistence" option.

hope this helps
sickgut

nooby

#8 Post by nooby »

Thanks I give it a try tomorrow. Late at night here now locally :)

Do you know if this Debian usally want to use Grub2 or does it boot first using lilo and then being live and then install and only then use grub2.

People have told me that Debian have turned over to grub2 since January 2011.

Don't feel offended I ask the followign extremely nooby question.

If that is the iso your started with why did you chose to make your gimpOS into an gimpOS.img intead of a gimpos.iso ? I mean most people are used to iso unless they maybe use vmware or vbox or something and use ing there? Do they?

sickgut

#9 Post by sickgut »

hi nooby

the reason its a .img file is because its an image of a usb drive, not a live cd .iso.
GimpOS is a distro that is made to run from a USB drive so what i did was make the distro by installing all the stuff i wanted on the USB drive and set it up with some custom scripts and artwork etc while i was running the debian live from the usb drive. This ofcause is a live persistent setup and all the changes i made where saved.

Then to distribute the OS i simple copy the an exact image of the finnished usb drive with GimpOS on by inserting the USB drive into a linux computers USB port and then dd'ing it to a file on the hard drive. The resulting image is a exact copy of the data on the now completed GimpOS USB drive.

The command i used was this:

dd if=/dev/sdb of=gimp-os-usb-2gb.img

After that process finnished I gzipped the .img file with gzip.

This makes for a reliable and reasonably easy way of imaging USB drives with GimpOS and making an exact replica of the original GimpOS USB drive. This a reasonably failsafe way of installing GimpOS on other USB drives. Because I only intended GimpOS to be run from a USB drive, I chose to distribute GimpOS in the single file .img image format.

The command to install GimpOS to a USB drive (after unzipping it ofcause) is the following:

dd if=gimp-os-2gb-usb of=/dev/sdb

Sometime soon ( i think when my Pussy OS is ready) i will make an installation ISO for GimpOS. It will simply be a Live CD that boots into whatever linux distro i choose to make the live cd from, that also has the gimp-2gb-usb.img file on the CD and there will be an Installation icon you can click and a script will dd the .img file of GimpOS to an inserted USB drive.

If we can work out how to make GimpOS run on a HDD then i will also add an install to HDD method to the live-cd.

If you wanted to you could install the normal debian live to your hdd then copy the contents of the live-rw file from the GimpOS to the debian filesystem on your HDD, this should result in a GimpOS on your hdd. you could also just make the hdd install of debian-live persistent then copy the live-rw file from the GimpOS to your HDD.

its a bit of messing round but i never made GimpOS to run off of HDD, so if you get it working then it will be a real bonus.

sickgut

nooby

#10 Post by nooby »

So if I take a 2GB usb and do the dd thing then it install that on the usb and then when I reboot it start up the gimp and that way I can bring it over to the hdd maybe?

Hm I try that tomorrow then :) What should I format the usb to ?

sickgut

#11 Post by sickgut »

hi nooby

you dont have to format the USB drive at all, just run the dd command to image the .img file to it and will be an exact clone of the original GimpOS USB stick :)

if you have a larger than 2gb usb drive there will only be info up to the 2gb mark on the drive. you can use gparted or whatever to resize the fat32 filesystem on the first 2gb to cover the entire drive

There is another potential problem with HDD install:

the /etc/fstab i setup in GimpOS relies on drive labels, specifically the label GIMPOS to identify the USB drive, you may want to edit the ./etc/fstab yourself and delete that bit. Its is only there so it can find and mount the 200mb swapfile that is on the USB drive.

starhawk

#12 Post by starhawk »

Beggin' yer pardon, Mr. Sickgut... but...

You might type "urban dictionary pussy" (no quotes) into your search engine of choice and see what comes up :wink: Personally, I'd change it to "kitten" or somesuch.

sickgut

starhawk

#13 Post by sickgut »

The idea of naming my soon to be released Pussy OS as Pussy OS is because its inspired by Puppy Linux, its an attempt at elaborating on my idea of a apt-get capable Puppy system.
Because its a Debian based tho this makes it similar to Puppy but isnt quite a Puppy so i thought i would name it something that is similar to Puppy in name and the same length and starts with P. Also the Pussy cat animal is kinda like a dog but different.

Also i already have a Pussy Cat Forest adventure game on my www.thepussycatforest.info website. Its all about Pussy cats. Cute fluffy some times hot and wet (if for instance the cat is caught in a bucket of water in the 60 degrees celcius desert sun).

I personally have 2 Pussy Cats and I used to have another. They are great. I call them Pussy Cats. I am from Australia, Tasmania infact. Here, Pussy mean a cat. I created my pussy cat forest and it was only a year later that i got the first remarks about it being a dirty name. This annoyed me and the whole ultra sexualization in mostly just American culture has annoyed me to the point that i dont care anymore. If you have a dirty mind and Pussy offends you then that is your mental impairment, not mine. You cant enforce your debased moral values onto others, im not going to feel bad about using the word pussy as the name of my soon to be released OS or my website.

At one point i was about to release my upgrade pack for Puppy 4.2 called "Doggystyle" and this was also an offensive name. Doesnt matter what word you use, people will presume you mean something dirty.

So now its a hobby of mine to freely use the word Pussy and i like the word and i use it every day and it reminds me of my cats when i say or type it.

If you dont like the name of my Pussy OS then you certainly wont like slogans and pictures on the Pussy OS tshirts im planning to sell on my site:

One of them is called the Hot Wet Pussy :(
It has a picture os a Pussy OS usb flashdisk being left in the hot sun and another picture of a Pussy OS usb flashdisk being left in the rain. The 2 pics have a big red X over them and tshirts like this are important because it reminds people not to leave their USB flashdisks in the sun or the rain.

Also Pussy is a name people will remember and this is a good thing to raise awareness for Pussy OS and has a novelty factor.

also the official mirror site for Pussy OS is

http://www.pussypussypussy.info

If i end up very poor and can only host me new OS on a solar powered rusty server that is very unreliable and nasty and is too close to a furnace and it gets rained on alot then ill have to change the domain name to:

http://www.hotwetnastypussynastynastyve ... pussy.info

but i dont see this happening any time soon.
Also kitten linux and kitty linux names have already been taken there are alreaqdy established linux distros with these names.

cthisbear

#14 Post by cthisbear »

sickgut:

" im not going to feel bad about using the word pussy as the name of
my soon to be released OS or my website. "

Good on you...for standing on principle.

It's getting to be a lost Australian art.

I like the name >> www.thepussycatforest.info website.

Of course few people know about your really old Tassie cat,
now extinct, the Tasmanian Tiger.

http://www.livescience.com/14006-thylac ... avior.html

http://blogs.discovermagazine.com/notro ... pial-wolf/

////////

Of course a s site named >> http://www.hotwetnastypussynastynastyve ... pussy.info

should be a goer.

I've searched already...Ha!..Ha!

so you already have one hit for Google.

And here is an old Puss for you.
Nearly killed me when I had to put him down.

Don't tell Bugman though.

And all the best...Chris.
Attachments
smokey2s.JPG
Old Pussy...but I called him Old Bear.
(89.85 KiB) Downloaded 579 times

nooby

#15 Post by nooby »

Yes this hysteria over words that have become dirty.

but I trust that starhawk has not adopted it he only give friendly advice in the same way I would hesitate to give a linux distro the name "Hello Kitty" because it is already registred as a trademark protected name on a product.

The irony would be that like linux forum Moderators changing i-p-a-d to piece of crap you will see Pussy Linux changed into The Linux distro we are not to mention on our forum or something.

I only wild guess but it seems likely that the hysteria over taboo words does spread. I trust that starhawk is not one of them supporting it.

Back on topic of GimpOS.

Oops then I can only test it on an usb and that is not a high priority due to me never use Gimp and I rather wait until you have a bootable iso that can be used in frugal install.

Using DD is kind of scary too :)

So I take back that I test it today. Too complicated. I rather put my energy into getting what Bernie challenge me about that one can edit menu.lst on a write protected partition. That is high priority just now sorry.

sickgut

#16 Post by sickgut »

Hi nooby,

Yeah thats cool. If GimpOS gets a propper HDD install script it will be when I release PussyOS coz that may have the exact same script.

I actually dont use Gimp myself either and ill probably not use this OS myself much, only for techy Linux interests, like the concept of a OS built around one application is something that facinates me.

GimpOS came about because my ex said she uses Gimp on her Vista laptop and it crashes always half way through editing a pic, I figured rather than educating her in linux ill make a GimpOS with only icon you can possibly click to start it, cant get simpler than that!

The HDD installation was something that i didnt even consider for this OS due to the fact that USB flash disk seemed the only viable way to easily get my ex to use GimpOS on her lappy.

Thanks nooby for trying to make GimpOS work off a HDD anyway

puppyiso

#17 Post by puppyiso »

This is the first time that I have ever seen just one application dominates the entire os.

Great concept.

Any plan to try wigs3d (a modeling tool) app only os?

sickgut

#18 Post by sickgut »

hehe man i got a whole slew of these single app OSes churning in my brain.

Im quite happy to make a OS based around any app you like.
The old days of switching off the computer then inserting the disk with the program you wanna use into the disk drive then switching it on and the Amiga 500 or whatever old computer it is loads it up, then when you wanna change programs you put another disk in and reset the computer...... this appeals to me. The time before the OS that ran all your progs from a HDD seemed much simpler. Im trying to recreate the same feeling with OSes with one app in them. Ofcause a live-cd version would probably add to that effect more but I havent learned to do that yet.

The GimpOS is a stepping stone to another project i have been contemplating. I am wanting to convert the cheapo $98 E-Pad, A-Pad (ipad rip off) into Gimp tablets. Touchscreen Gimp on a small tablet PC would completely rock. All I need to do is convert my GimpOS to the ARM architecture and sort out the touchscreen drivers and onscreen keyboard app.

If anyone would like some thing like GimpOS but based around their app of choice then email me at sickgut@gmail.com and ill set it up for you. The documentation th at is with the GimpOS is quite large in disk size, so let me know if you want documentation in th e new OS or not. The extra documentation packages for the Gimp adds like 50mb or so to the used disk space. I know other apps may or may not have that much optional documentation.

The other single app OSes im releasing soon are MovieOS and PicOS. Both of these do not have a X environment and use the frame buffer. MovieOS will play movie files that you can copy to the USB drive and wi ll have a config script you can edit to set your resolution sound volume etc and can also play DVDs etc (also you can adjust sound volume using the keyboard shortcuts while a movie is playing, etc). PicOS will run the "fbi" frame buffer image viewer and will display the images that you copy accross to the usb drive to the "pic" folder either as a slideshow or by pressing the arrow keys to browse images. Also an audio ploayer can play .mp3, .ogg, .wav or .mid or .mod music files while the PicOS is displaying pictures. These OSes that only use the frame buffer load very quickly and are very simple to use.

Aitch

#19 Post by Aitch »

sickgut wrote:If i end up very poor and can only host me new OS on a solar powered rusty server that is very unreliable and nasty and is too close to a furnace and it gets rained on alot then ill have to change the domain name to:

http://www.hotwetnastypussynastynastyve ... pussy.info
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Brilliant, great advertising! Should get loadsa hits :wink:

The single App Puppy was an idea discussed here quite awhile ago, as was the launchpad idea, launching into a choice menu, say for email, email with printing, gimp, gimp with scanner and printing, quick browser, libreoffice, movies/youtube, whatever....to just run the one app, just a reboot to get another choice

Only other Puppy that I've seen that can remove all the original apps is Joe's TXZ_Pup, based on slackware kernel, but runs frugal or full, and hdd or usb/SD/flash

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=57484

I have one of those cheapo apad things...and if you can get a puppy to load/run on it, I'd be forever grateful...its current android is lousy, and non-updateable.....in the cupboard since new [but I think its a non x86 ARM processor?, and thusfar no-one has got puppy to run on ARM :cry: ]

Aitch :)

puppyluvr

#20 Post by puppyluvr »

:D Hello,
@sickgut,
D/L "EZWoof-5.25" ...
It is an easy, gui based, puppy builder based on 5.25, the latest Puppy by playdayz...
You just open the packages list, put "no" in front of whatever you want to remove, then add entries for the gimp and put the package in the directory.....
Then click a script, choose the kernel, and voila`...a new Puppy iso...
It contains clear instructions in a readme file...
Very easy, and fast...About 10-15 minutes to build...
Close the Windows, and open your eyes, to a whole new world
I am Lead Dog of the
Puppy Linux Users Group on Facebook
Join us!

Puppy since 2.15CE...