SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tman

#151 Post by Tman »

Clive wrote:I'm having problems with rox-filer
Clive,

Thanks for pointing that out. I had the same problems as you, but didn't realize until recently that it was a bug with Rox-Filer. I always released the focus by left-clicking on a blank area of the window.

Details about the bug are in Barry's blog:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02053

Updating Rox-Filer to Barry's suggested version, should fix the focus problem with the Open-as-text option. But for, me the focus remains on the selected file, when I choose the "Open With" option. :(
rox_filer-201012git-patched.pet.

Clive

#152 Post by Clive »

deleted
Last edited by Clive on Sat 08 Sep 2012, 22:52, edited 1 time in total.

Tman

#153 Post by Tman »

Does anyone still have a copy of Solidpup-5.1.1 a4 beta?
The one I realease before these current versions?
I have deleted mine :(

EDIT: Nevermind, I don't need it ... I discovered the answer to the problem I was having.

Tman

#154 Post by Tman »

I remember saying somewhere in this thread that I was not going to be updating this version of Solidpup anymore.
Well ... err, I changed my mind. I have posted a new version today with quite a few bug fixes and updates.
I will put out a list of the changes later, as I have to go to work soon.

The download link is on the first page, and links to older versions have been removed to reduce confusion.
For now I have put out the Lite version for testing. I have called it a beta version, but it has improved over any other previous versions, IMO.
A non-Lite version will be released at a later time, when this "5.1.1-B" series goes out of beta.

starhawk

#155 Post by starhawk »

Downloading shortly :)

...BTW, I have a version of your older work on my hard drive here, labeled "Solid511-std-ed.iso" but other than that I know little of it. I did use it on a system, but I don't remember exactly when it was installed.

Tote

#156 Post by Tote »

Thanks for updating this, you just made my day! I like Solid Pup, I've been using it as my main OS. I'll download it later.

Thanks again!

Tote

#157 Post by Tote »

Okay, it's later.... Ran well from live CD, (old-ish laptop, Celeron M), I like the red screen for the boot options, nice change.

Internet connection worked first time, no problems, Dillo too.

Openbox config hung. Showed the frame but no options, white space inside box. 'Themes' was illuminated, but didn't respond, neither did any of the other options. Clicked the'X' to close the window and it came to life, options etc started working... okay after that. Good to see some new themes included...

I'll try frugal install later, need to walk the other pup in my life, right now.

Good job. Thank you.

(Sorry if this feedback sucks, I never did it before.)

EDIT; I failed on the frugal install. I have Solid 5.1.1. frugal on sda1, so I tried this on sda2, amended grub4 to include new install but I couldn't get it to boot. Kept booting into sda1. Tried temporarily removing grub4 for my original sda1 install but same thing, wouldn't boot beta version. Probably my end, not a fault with the new version.

Try again later.

Tman

#158 Post by Tman »

starhawk wrote:Downloading shortly :)

...BTW, I have a version of your older work on my hard drive here, labeled "Solid511-std-ed.iso" but other than that I know little of it. I did use it on a system, but I don't remember exactly when it was installed.
Starhawk, that is probably the standard version, which was made prior to the a4-beta version. Actually if it's not too much trouble, I'd like to take a look at it. Could you please upload it for me?
Tote wrote:Openbox config hung. Showed the frame but no options, white space inside box. 'Themes' was illuminated, but didn't respond, neither did any of the other options. Clicked the'X' to close the window and it came to life, options etc started working... okay after that. Good to see some new themes included...
Sounds strange ... do you get any error messages, when you type obconf from the Terminal? If so, could you post the output for me? ( just hightlight and choose "copy" from LXTerminal, then paste in the murga message ... with a full powered browser; I don't think Dillo has copy and paste. )
The default openbox theme is one that I hacked, so maybe I screwed up somewhere.
Tote wrote:EDIT; I failed on the frugal install. I have Solid 5.1.1. frugal on sda1, so I tried this on sda2, amended grub4 to include new install but I couldn't get it to boot. Kept booting into sda1. Tried temporarily removing grub4 for my original sda1 install but same thing, wouldn't boot beta version. Probably my end, not a fault with the new version.
I can confirm frugal install for Solidpup works. I usually just do a manual frugal install to a new folder with this method:

1) download the iso
2) create a new folder eg. solid511b
3) left-click on the iso to mount it and copy the 3 main files to the new folder: initrd.gz , vmlinuz, and wary_511.sfs
4) add a new menu entry to the menu.lst file or run grub4dosconfig to automatically setup the new menu entry for you

** if you have older Solidpup, Wary 5.1.1 or anything else based on Wary 5.1.1 installed, make sure you first boot in Pristine Boot mode (pfix=ram).

starhawk

#159 Post by starhawk »

I can upload the file... I think... Russoodle gave me some storage (it still works).

I'll upload it in a little bit, and once it's there, I'll post the link and such.

Tote

#160 Post by Tote »

Okay, here goes; manual frugal install, success! (first time I ever did one) :)

obconfig still hangs, got this from terminal..

(obconf:16864): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

(obconf:16864): Gtk-WARNING **: GtkSpinButton: setting an adjustment with non-zero page size is deprecated

ObRender-Message: Unable to parse color ''
[/root]#

Does that help??

starhawk

#161 Post by starhawk »

Here you go...

http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet. ... hawk/Tman/

USER:puppy PASS:linux

LMK when you grab it, I don't remember how much space I have on there, so once you've got it, I'd like to pull it back down...

Tman

#162 Post by Tman »

Thank very much, Starhawk for the link. I have just finished downloading it. :)
Tote wrote:Okay, here goes; manual frugal install, success! (first time I ever did one) :)

obconfig still hangs, got this from terminal..

ObRender-Message: Unable to parse color ''
[/root]#

Does that help??
I get the same error messages, but obconf doesn't hang for me. I did some googling, and found some people, solved a similiar problem in Arch and Ubuntu by getting rid of some invaild themes. But I removed all, but 2 themes in the /usr/share/themes folder and still get the error message,
so I don't know what the problem is... I don't think all of the included themes are not-to-standard, but I haven't ruled out that possiblility. I will try to dig a little deeper, but at this point, I am not sure what the solution would be.

I will check out the older Solidpup and Lucid, which also has openbox, and see if the error messages are present there.

Tote, how is icewm working for you?

starhawk

#163 Post by starhawk »

Check the MD5sum, if you will, just to be safe...

Should be: 83037552b71f76a89821b3ab734cdabe

Tman

#164 Post by Tman »

Starkhawk. I have a good Md5 checksum...thank you.

About Tote's problem with obconf. I get similiar error messages in the latest Lucid and the older Solidpup, which Starhawk has kindly uploaded.

However, I do not get the message "Unable to parse color", so I am thinking
that the color format in one of the new themes is wrong...I will look into it.

Tman

#165 Post by Tman »

Okay, I have found the culprit theme.

Tote, please remove the folder named "/usr/share/themes/rabbit" and
then run obconf to see if it still hangs.

Tote

#166 Post by Tote »

Tried ice wm, works otherwise but same thing, but I also get this flash message;

Unable to extract the file "%f".
Please ensure that "/root/.themes" is writable and that the file is a valid Openbox theme archive.
The following errors were reported:
tar: %f : Cannot open : No such file or directory
tar : Error is not recoverable : exiting now
tar : Child returned status 2
tar : */openbox-3 : Not found in archive
tar : Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Also, going back to previous Openbox issue, I don't know if this is relevant; if I try to choose Openbox by right clicking Desktop then scrolling down to Openbox Config, that's when it hangs...

but if I right click Desktop and scroll all the way down to Other then select Configure Openbox, it works normally....

Tote

#167 Post by Tote »

No go :( Removed rabbit, still the same error in terminal.

Tman

#168 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote:Tried ice wm, works otherwise but same thing, but I also get this flash message;

Unable to extract the file "%f".
Please ensure that "/root/.themes" is writable and that the file is a valid Openbox theme archive.
The following errors were reported:
tar: %f : Cannot open : No such file or directory
tar : Error is not recoverable : exiting now
tar : Child returned status 2
tar : */openbox-3 : Not found in archive
tar : Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Also, going back to previous Openbox issue, I don't know if this is relevant; if I try to choose Openbox by right clicking Desktop then scrolling down to Openbox Config, that's when it hangs...

but if I right click Desktop and scroll all the way down to Other then select Configure Openbox, it works normally....
Ooohhhh! Now I get the same problem as you. I was always using "Configure Openbox" way down in the "Other" menu. That fix is an easy one. The obconf.desktop file is faulty...the exec option is supposed to be "obconf", not "obconf %f". Actually, you can just delete "/usr/share/applications/obconf.desktop" and type "fixmenus" in the terminal to remove that menu entry...I didn't intend it to be there, because it will also show in icewm mode, which I don't want.

This issue will be fixed in the next release...thanks Tote! :)

Anyone wishing for extra wifi drivers, now is the time to request it.
I am not an expert in firmware updates, but, hopefully if I run into trouble, Pemasu, O1micko or someone else with driver expertise can help me out.
Last edited by Tman on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Tote

#169 Post by Tote »

Ooops! (Sorry)

Is this a good time to tell you I can't get Pwidgets to work either... or shall I not mention it??

(I don't use it, btw, I'm just saying).

Tman

#170 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote:Ooops! (Sorry)

Is this a good time to tell you I can't get Pwidgets to work either... or shall I not mention it??

(I don't use it, btw, I'm just saying).
Oh, you are right! ...I missed that one, cause I don't use it either. I will look into it, thanks Tote. The more bugs that get squashed, the better. I gotta sign off for today. I will have more free time to work on the next release on the weekend, but I will try to keep up to date with this thread.