SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Tote

#166 Post by Tote »

Tried ice wm, works otherwise but same thing, but I also get this flash message;

Unable to extract the file "%f".
Please ensure that "/root/.themes" is writable and that the file is a valid Openbox theme archive.
The following errors were reported:
tar: %f : Cannot open : No such file or directory
tar : Error is not recoverable : exiting now
tar : Child returned status 2
tar : */openbox-3 : Not found in archive
tar : Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Also, going back to previous Openbox issue, I don't know if this is relevant; if I try to choose Openbox by right clicking Desktop then scrolling down to Openbox Config, that's when it hangs...

but if I right click Desktop and scroll all the way down to Other then select Configure Openbox, it works normally....

Tote

#167 Post by Tote »

No go :( Removed rabbit, still the same error in terminal.

Tman

#168 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote:Tried ice wm, works otherwise but same thing, but I also get this flash message;

Unable to extract the file "%f".
Please ensure that "/root/.themes" is writable and that the file is a valid Openbox theme archive.
The following errors were reported:
tar: %f : Cannot open : No such file or directory
tar : Error is not recoverable : exiting now
tar : Child returned status 2
tar : */openbox-3 : Not found in archive
tar : Exiting with failure status due to previous errors

Also, going back to previous Openbox issue, I don't know if this is relevant; if I try to choose Openbox by right clicking Desktop then scrolling down to Openbox Config, that's when it hangs...

but if I right click Desktop and scroll all the way down to Other then select Configure Openbox, it works normally....
Ooohhhh! Now I get the same problem as you. I was always using "Configure Openbox" way down in the "Other" menu. That fix is an easy one. The obconf.desktop file is faulty...the exec option is supposed to be "obconf", not "obconf %f". Actually, you can just delete "/usr/share/applications/obconf.desktop" and type "fixmenus" in the terminal to remove that menu entry...I didn't intend it to be there, because it will also show in icewm mode, which I don't want.

This issue will be fixed in the next release...thanks Tote! :)

Anyone wishing for extra wifi drivers, now is the time to request it.
I am not an expert in firmware updates, but, hopefully if I run into trouble, Pemasu, O1micko or someone else with driver expertise can help me out.
Last edited by Tman on Wed 05 Sep 2012, 20:23, edited 1 time in total.

Tote

#169 Post by Tote »

Ooops! (Sorry)

Is this a good time to tell you I can't get Pwidgets to work either... or shall I not mention it??

(I don't use it, btw, I'm just saying).

Tman

#170 Post by Tman »

Tote wrote:Ooops! (Sorry)

Is this a good time to tell you I can't get Pwidgets to work either... or shall I not mention it??

(I don't use it, btw, I'm just saying).
Oh, you are right! ...I missed that one, cause I don't use it either. I will look into it, thanks Tote. The more bugs that get squashed, the better. I gotta sign off for today. I will have more free time to work on the next release on the weekend, but I will try to keep up to date with this thread.

greengeek

#171 Post by greengeek »

Tman wrote:Anyone wishing for extra wifi drivers, now is the time to request it.
Thanks Tman. I would like to be able to run SolidPup on my Acer eMachines netbook (NAV51, model 350-21G16i) which has a broadcom wifi. (I haven't tried your latest beta on that machine yet so don't know if it's already happy to run the broadcom - the previous Tint2 version didn't). Anyway, here is my device list if it helps identify:
Attachments
eMachinesdevices.jpg
(55.42 KiB) Downloaded 826 times

Tman

#172 Post by Tman »

Okay, I got pwidgets working again. I don't know how, but fixwidgets got deleted.

Greengeek, I have downloaded the source for the latest Broadcom STA driver.
I will take a crack at building it this weekend.

EDIT: I just found that peebee was working on Broadcom driver pets. I will ask him
advice on building it.

Tman

#173 Post by Tman »

It looks like Peebee figured out the right steps necessary to get broadcom wl drivers working properly without conflicting with the opensource b43 drivers. I spent much of yesterday trying to modify Iguleder's bldpkg system which is a fantastic system for compiling apps. I'm trying to alter it so that even noobs can easily compile with. It's not quite ready for me to distribute yet, but hopefully soon. So far I've had partial success and managed to compile a lot of apps yesterday with it..some of which are going to be added to the next beta release.
http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/Wary5-apps/

Tman

#174 Post by Tman »

Solidpup511B-Lite-beta-2.0.iso is currently being uploaded.
It will be ready for download in about 25 minutes from now.
There is also a list of changes that I've placed in the same folder.

Quite a few upgrades from Beta1, but it is smaller.

Greengeek, I don't think your wireless is detected automatically OOTB yet,
but try loading it manually.

Greengeek, can you also try the attatched pet, to see if your wifi gets detected?
Attachments
rerwin_broadcom_experiment-8-Modified.pet
I removed the rc.shutdown file from the original pet
(9.16 KiB) Downloaded 296 times

greengeek

#175 Post by greengeek »

Nice! I'm posting from Dillo on SPLiteB2 now. I didn't need to load the driver manually - the dialogs at the start gave me the choice of allowing wl to be "added to the list", which I accepted, and then straight online. No drama at all.

Haven't tried Rerwins pet yet - just running as is from the live CD and seems good so far. Fresh and clean. I like it.
Attachments
SolidPupLiteB2.jpg
(15.62 KiB) Downloaded 683 times

Tman

#176 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote:I didn't need to load the driver manually.
Wow! It went better than I expected. I sent Peebee a test version and he needed to add Rerwin's pet to get his Broadcom to detect. Unfortunately, Rerwin's original pet, overides Pupsaveconfig ... the dialog for pupsaveconfig appears, but in the end it didn't actually create a save file.

I modifed the test ISO I sent to Peebee, but I am surprised that your wifi is automatically detected. I will have to wait and see how Solidpup beta2.0 handles on Peebee's broadcom wifi.

greengeek

#177 Post by greengeek »

Tman wrote: I sent Peebee a test version and he needed to add Rerwin's pet to get his Broadcom to detect.
It may be that he is doing things the right way, and I am doing things the wrong way...

Heres what I did:
1) Start network wizard. This shows the Broadcom as an unknown device (pic1)

2) Activate Wlan0. It asks if I want to add the wl device to the list. (pic2)

3) Accept as required. Wizard confirms that wl is added to list. (pic3)

Then I just continue with the rest of the wizard - selecting WPA and adding the key etc and then straight online. (All of this is live CD, no savefile)

Next I tried loading Rerwin's pet straight after boot, and before running the network wizard, but it appeared to make no change at all.
Attachments
Network wizard1 unknown.jpg
(69.06 KiB) Downloaded 620 times
Network wizard add wl to list.jpg
(40.48 KiB) Downloaded 616 times
Network wizard wl WILL be added.jpg
(26.61 KiB) Downloaded 620 times

Tman

#178 Post by Tman »

greengeek,

It is great that you got it working on your system. Peebee is still having a few problems,
although less this time. He also found a solution for his wifi setup, so I hope everything will be working for the both of you in the next release.

I did find a bug ... the resize personal storage file is not working; sorry folks, it will be fixed in the next version. For now, there is a link to a resize_personal_storage_legacy pet in the first post that you can use. That pet runs does not overwrite the default one, and will be found in the "Utility" menu after it is installed, rather than the "Setup" menu.

Tman

#179 Post by Tman »

beta2.2 is now out. It contains various bug fixes and rerwin's new delta-3f patch for broadcom wifi conflicts.
... not anything new in terms of more apps.

Greengeek, when you have time to try this out, please let me know if your wifi is still okay on this one.
Much appreciation goes to Peebee for helping me test the last several releases to get this broadcom driver issue sorted out.
Thanks too to Rerwin and Pemasu for their advice on my questions regarding wifi firmware.

greengeek

#180 Post by greengeek »

Tman wrote:please let me know if your wifi is okay on this one.
Yes, thanks, I still have connectivity through the wireless adapter. Exactly the same method as my last post. However I did notice that the internet icon in the wbar does not work. Had to use the menu to get Dillo started. I thought it worked ok through wbar on previous version but I will have to double check tomorrow.

Tman

#181 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote:
Tman wrote:please let me know if your wifi is okay on this one.
Yes, thanks, I still have connectivity through the wireless adapter. Exactly the same method as my last post.
Great, that is the important thing. This has been a good learning process for me. Now I have a better idea of how to install wifi drivers. Still haven't played with /etc/modules/firmware.deps; I will get around to that another time.
However I did notice that the internet icon in the wbar does not work. Had to use the menu to get Dillo started. I thought it worked ok through wbar on previous version but I will have to
Oops, sorry ... I was using Firefox-15.01.sfs but when I unloaded it to remaster, I forgot to put back Dillo as the defaultbrowser.

greengeek

#182 Post by greengeek »

Hi Tman, I'm still also using the previous TINT2 version on one laptop, and have been trialling this GTK youtube viewer/downloader with TINT2:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
I grabbed the wary version and it is really good. Even allows you to choose the resolution you want to download (HD included if you've got the gpu power and screen real estate to handle it!)

I've only briefly tested it so far but I love it. Maybe it is worth adding in as a default, or at least in the PPM?

Tman

#183 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote:Hi Tman, I'm still also using the previous TINT2 version on one laptop, and have been trialling this GTK youtube viewer/downloader with TINT2:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
I grabbed the wary version and it is really good. Even allows you to choose the resolution you want to download (HD included if you've got the gpu power and screen real estate to handle it!)

I've only briefly tested it so far but I love it. Maybe it is worth adding in as a default, or at least in the PPM?
Yes, I've tried it before and although it was nice, I still prefer the old method of running Youtube in the browser. I guess, I can put it in the bigger version of Solidpup, when I decide to make it final. (I'm trying to keep the Lite version under 100MB)

A light alternative to GTK-Youtube is FlashVideoReplacer plugin for Firefox, which will allow you to run the video in Mplayer or any other video player that you wish.

greengeek

#184 Post by greengeek »

Tman wrote: I still prefer the old method of running Youtube in the browser.
What option do you generally use when the PC is too slow to do it that way?

Tman

#185 Post by Tman »

greengeek wrote: What option do you generally use when the PC is too slow to do it that way?
All my PC's are fast enough to handle Youtube with flashplayer, but I tried FlashVideoReplacer for kicks a while back, as well as one of Stu90's scripts ...not sure if the script still works.
Here ..I just found the link: Playflash and FlashVideoReplacer

Also, I am uploading Solidpup beta version 2.4 at the moment, it will be about 20 more minutes until it's completed uploading...

I should also mention some useful shortcut keys:

CTRL-ALT-DELETE = Pupshutdown
Windows-Key+ T = terminal
Winkey + R = Rox
Winkey + F = Pfind
Winkey + B = defaultbrowser
printscreen key = mtpaintscreenshot

NOTE: these were all set from Xbindkeys-config on a US-en keyboard.
You may need to change the settings for your particular keyboard.

EDIT: bummer ... videos don't work right :( .. I guess I will upload version 2.3.