SolidPup 5.1.1-B Lite and OBXF

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
sheldonisaac

#271 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:I have created a patch for Solidpup-511-Lite-rc2.
Also, I have made an xfce4-panel pet available for testing. :D

For the xfce4-panel to work you need to install all of the pets linked below:
0) solid511B_Lite_rc2_patch-1.pet (not necessary for solidpups newer than 511-B-rc2)
-
Sorry, what is the patch supposed to do?

Below is my specs; do I need the patch? Thanks

=== Distro Specifications ===

Operating System: SolidPup 511
Desktop Panel: tint2 version 0.9rc1
Desktop Window Manager: Openbox 3.4.11
Desktop Start: xwin openbox

=== /etc/DISTRO_SPECS ===

#One or more words that identify this distribution:
DISTRO_NAME='SolidPup'
#A three-digit numeric value, version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_VERSION=511
#A two-digit numeric value, minor-version number of this distribution:
DISTRO_MINOR_VERSION=00
#The distro whose binary packages were used to build this distribution:
DISTRO_BINARY_COMPAT='puppy'
#Prefix for some filenames: exs: qrkysave.2fs, qrky-141.sfs
DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX='wary'
#The version of the distro whose binary packages were used to build this distro:
DISTRO_COMPAT_VERSION='wary5'
#the kernel pet package used:
DISTRO_KERNEL_PET='linux_kernel-2.6.32.28-2-w5.pet'
#16-byte alpha-numeric ID-string appended to vmlinuz, wary_511.sfs, zw511228.sfs and devx.sfs:
DISTRO_IDSTRING='w511110528171105'
#Puppy default filenames...
#Note, the 'SFS' files below are what the 'init' script in initrd.gz searches for,
#for the partition, path and actual files loaded, see PUPSFS and ZDRV in /etc/rc.d/PUPSTATE
DISTRO_PUPPYSFS='wary_511.sfs'
DISTRO_ZDRVSFS='zw511228.sfs'

Tman

#272 Post by Tman »

Hi Sheldon,

The patch contains some bug fixes, and hacked scripts.
It mainly has fixes for wbar, and hacked restartwm, wmreboot, and wmpoweroff scripts necessary for xfce4-panel.
So, in short..if you don't want to install the xfce4-panel to run with openbox, then you don't really need the patch.

Also I am uploading a Solidpup OBXF version.
OBXF is just short for "Openbox-xfce4panel". This is mainly to test the new desktop envrionment for bugs.
Along with the files needed to run xfce4-panel, I have only added Opera as an additional app, so far.
More apps will be added later on...

Please don't try to download the new OBXF pup yet... current upload time remaining is about 1hour from now.

Arefacti

#273 Post by Arefacti »

YES Tman !
It works !
very ergonomic !
Thannnnnnnnnnnnnks !

I want too put a screen capture but don't know how, I look too :wink:

Edit :

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Very sorry for the great pic, when I'll find how I must do to make good, I'll do :oops:

In fact, my problem was I have not the /etc/openbox_panel file.
So, I did a symlink /usr/bin/xfce4-panel in the /root/Startup directory (and remove the symlink wmbar in).

Tman

#274 Post by Tman »

Arefacti wrote: In fact, my problem was I have not the /etc/openbox_panel file.
So, I did a symlink /usr/bin/xfce4-panel in the /root/Startup directory (and remove the symlink wmbar in).
It sounds like you didn't install the patch first, because the patch also removes that symlink to wbar and replaces it with "wbar_launcher".
When xfce4-panel is running, the wrapper doesn't run wbar...but wbar will launch by itself in icewm. I recommend installing the patch now... the desktop will revert back to openbox + tint2 once you restart-x.

Next enter this in the terminal:

Code: Select all

geany /etc/openbox_panel
In this text file, just put the command for the panel you want to run... tint2, xfce4-panel. fbpanel etc...
Of course, fbpanel is not installed by default, so it will only work after you install it. fbpanel-6.0-patched-3-q1.pet

I have just found a rather odd problem with Opera... .pet files downloaded as .gz files. :shock: Does anyone know the solution for this???

musher0

#275 Post by musher0 »

> I have just found a rather odd problem with Opera... .pet files downloaded as .gz files. Does anyone know the solution for this???

Yep. Simply rename them with a *.pet suffix when you save them. Will unpack and install stuff as usual.
Probably opera derives its suffix from the first few bytes of the file instead of the filename itself. (And indeed pet files do use the .gz compression.)

BFN.
musher0
~~~~~~~~~~
"You want it darker? We kill the flame." (L. Cohen)

greengeek

#276 Post by greengeek »

Arefacti wrote:Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I see you are using Zimbra. What do you think of it? I am looking for a new email interface. My Fastmail webmail has changed format and I don't like it.

Arefacti

#277 Post by Arefacti »

greengeek wrote:
Arefacti wrote:Uploaded with ImageShack.us
I see you are using Zimbra. What do you think of it? I am looking for a new email interface. My Fastmail webmail has changed format and I don't like it.
not bad, good functions, reactive, 10 Go, but just a little bit ugly :lol:

Tman

#278 Post by Tman »

Musher, thanks for the tip. It kinda makes sense since .pet files are just .gz files with the extension renamed.
This problem doesn't happen to me all the time in Opera. I've downloaded a lot of pets that have not been renamed to .gz files.
... strange indeed.

I have some bad news... bad news for me at least. I said in some previous post that Shinobar's getnvidia pet did not work for me.
So I finally got around to try and make the nvidia pet manually. Unfortunately, that didn't work for me either.
The nvidia-installer.log file says this:

nvidia-installer log file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log'
creation time: Thu Nov  1 10:39:17 2012
installer version: 304.60

PATH: /bin:/usr/bin:/sbin:/usr/sbin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/X11R7/bin:/root/my-applications/bin:/usr/games

nvidia-installer command line:
    ./nvidia-installer

Using: nvidia-installer ncurses user interface
-> License accepted.
-> Installing NVIDIA driver version 304.60.
-> Performing CC sanity check with CC="cc".
-> Performing CC version check with CC="cc".
-> Kernel source path: '/lib/modules/2.6.32.28/source'
-> Kernel output path: '/lib/modules/2.6.32.28/build'
-> Performing rivafb check.
-> Performing nvidiafb check.
-> Performing Xen check.
-> Cleaning kernel module build directory.
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; make clean'...
-> Building kernel module:
   executing: 'cd ./kernel; make module SYSSRC=/lib/modules/2.6.32.28/source SYSOUT=/lib/modules/2.6.32.28/build'...
   NVIDIA: calling KBUILD...
   make -C /lib/modules/2.6.32.28/build \
   	KBUILD_SRC=/usr/src/linux-2.6.32.28 \
   	KBUILD_EXTMOD="/tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel" -f /usr/src/linux-2.6.32.28/Makefile \
   	modules
   test -e include/linux/autoconf.h -a -e include/config/auto.conf || (		\
   	echo;								\
   	echo "  ERROR: Kernel configuration is invalid.";		\
   	echo "         include/linux/autoconf.h or include/config/auto.conf are missing.";	\
   	echo "         Run 'make oldconfig && make prepare' on kernel src to fix it.";	\
   	echo;								\
   	/bin/false)
   mkdir -p /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/.tmp_versions ; rm -f /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/.tmp_versions/*
   make -f /usr/src/linux-2.6.32.28/scripts/Makefile.build obj=/tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel
     cc -Wp,-MD,/tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/.nv.o.d  -nostdinc -isystem ./include -Iinclude -Iinclude2 -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.32.28/include -I/usr/src/linux-2.6.32.28/arch/x86/include -include include/linux/autoconf.h   -I/tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel -D__KERNEL__ -Wall -Wundef -Wstrict-prototypes -Wno-trigraphs -fno-strict-aliasing -fno-common -Werror-implicit-function-declaration -Wno-format-security -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks -Os -m32 -msoft-float -mregparm=3 -freg-struct-return -mpreferred-stack-boundary=2 -march=i486 -mtune=generic -Wa,-mtune=generic32 -ffreestanding -DCONFIG_AS_CFI=1 -DCONFIG_AS_CFI_SIGNAL_FRAME=1 -pipe -Wno-sign-compare -fno-asynchronous-unwind-tables -mno-sse -mno-mmx -mno-sse2 -mno-3dnow -fno-stack-protector -fomit-frame-pointer -Wdeclaration-after-statement -Wno-pointer-sign -fno-strict-overflow   -I/tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel -Wall -MD -Wsign-compare -Wno-cast-qual -Wno-error -D__KERNEL__ -DMODULE -DNVRM -DNV_VERSION_STRING=\"304.60\" -Wno-unused-function -Wuninitialized -UDEBUG -U_DEBUG -DNDEBUG  -DMODULE -D"KBUILD_STR(s)=#s" -D"KBUILD_BASENAME=KBUILD_STR(nv)"  -D"KBUILD_MODNAME=KBUILD_STR(nvidia)"  -c -o /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-
   x86-304.60/kernel/.tmp_nv.o /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv.c
   In file included from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv.c:12:
   /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/os-interface.h:27:20: error: stdarg.h: No such file or directory
   In file included from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv.c:12:
   /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/os-interface.h:87: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   In file included from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv-linux.h:14,
                    from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv.c:13:
   /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv.h:570: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   In file included from ./include/linux/sched.h:54,
                    from ./include/linux/utsname.h:35,
                    from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv-linux.h:40,
   ./include/linux/kernel.h:183: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   ./include/linux/kernel.h:187: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   ./include/linux/kernel.h:191: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   ./include/linux/kernel.h:195: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   ./include/linux/kernel.h:199: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   ./include/linux/kernel.h:239: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   ./include/linux/kernel.h:535: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   In file included from ./include/linux/sched.h:91,
                    from ./include/linux/utsname.h:35,
                    from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv-linux.h:40,
   ./include/linux/kobject.h:77: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   In file included from ./include/linux/cpufreq.h:17,
                    from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv-linux.h:93,
   ./include/linux/device.h:531: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   In file included from ./include/acpi/acpi.h:63,
                    from /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv-linux.h:276,
   ./include/acpi/acpiosxf.h:261: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   /tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv.c:3725: error: expected declaration specifiers or '...' before 'va_list'
   make[4]: *** [/tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel/nv.o] Error 1
   make[3]: *** [_module_/tmp/selfgz29675/NVIDIA-Linux-x86-304.60/kernel] Error 2
   make[2]: *** [sub-make] Error 2
   NVIDIA: left KBUILD.
   nvidia.ko failed to build!
   make[1]: *** [module] Error 1
   make: *** [module] Error 2
-> Error.
ERROR: Unable to build the NVIDIA kernel module.
ERROR: Installation has failed.  Please see the file '/var/log/nvidia-installer.log' for details.  You may find suggestions on fixing installation problems in the README available on the Linux driver download page at www.nvidia.com.
I couldn't figure out the problem with that info though. :(
As a hunch, I loaded up an older version of Solidpup, and tried Shinobar's getnvidia.pet. It worked perfectly for me.
If I can't figure it out the problem, then it looks like I will have to backtrack to version beta-2.3, and start again from there... aargh!

Luckily, I documented (almost) all of the changes I made along the way, but I estimate that this will set me back about 2 weeks.
Current releases are still stable to use, but having video drivers not being able to compile is an absolute no-no for me.
In the meantime, you guys can play with what I've released and a new Nvidia pet is now available for testing. nvidia-glx-304-60-k2.6.32.28.pet
-
Last edited by Tman on Fri 02 Nov 2012, 18:53, edited 2 times in total.

sheldonisaac

#279 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:Musher, thanks for the tip. It kinda makes sense since .pet files are just .gz files with the extension renamed.
This problem doesn't happen to me all the time in Opera. I've downloaded a lot of pets that have not been renamed to .gz files.
... strange indeed.
In Opera 12.02:
Tools->Preferences->Advanced->Downloads

Uncheck "File types opened with Opera"

Edit the MIME type application/x-gzip
by adding pet to the comma-separated list of File extensions

--------

EDIT: I'm not sure about that. I do recall seeing something (perhaps in an Opera thread or another forum) about hopw to fix that problem.

sheldonisaac

Re: Solidpup

#280 Post by sheldonisaac »

Hi, how can I have it connect to wireless on bootup?

I'd put a script in /root/Startup if I knew what it should say, or in /etc/rc.d/rc.local?

I'd been using WEP, but this Dell Latitude D610 seems able to do WPA-2

Network Wizard lets me connect, but it doesn't connect on later boot,

Thanks,
Sheldon

Tman

#281 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac,

To be honest, I am using old-fashioned wired LAN connection. Although I do have a Wireless-N usb stick and an older model Wireless-G router, I don't really have a need for them with my desktop computer, so they just sit, stored-away in boxes.

But when I did try them for a little while, about 2 years back, I remember that I had to set up the wifi password and other settings with the Network Connection Wizard, but my settings were saved when I rebooted.

So, I don't know why it is not saving your settings...perhaps placing your questions somewhere in the "House Training" section of this forum will get you the answers you are looking for.

Also, the link to the new Nvidia pet (a few posts above) is now fixed.
-

greengeek

#282 Post by greengeek »

sheldonisaac wrote:Hi, how can I have it connect to wireless on bootup? Network Wizard lets me connect, but it doesn't connect on later boot,
Hi Sheldon, one of the main reasons I use SolidpupLITE is that it has always reconnected my wireless after boot - and it does this faster than most of my other puppies - so I think Solidpup itself is good in this area.
Which Network wizard do you use for your setup? Do you use SNS, Frisbee or the standard (classic) network wizard? I almost always use the standard wizard as I fins SNS unreliable, and have had some variable behaviour from Frisbee on some machines/puppies.
Are you able to do a trial by making a fresh Solidpup installation, with fresh savefile, and then connect with only the standard wizard then resave? See if that allows reconnection after boot?
(Also are you choosing a different puppy hostname for each puppy install? eg: not puppypc but something like puppypc1234?) Some routers (like my Thomson) keep a sort of database of which machines come online (IP address, MAC address and hostname) and it seems to affect the reliability of connection if the same hostname is attached to multiple devices.

sheldonisaac

#283 Post by sheldonisaac »

greengeek wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:Hi, how can I have it connect to wireless on bootup? Network Wizard lets me connect, but it doesn't connect on later boot,
Hi Sheldon, one of the main reasons I use SolidpupLITE is that it has always reconnected my wireless after boot - and it does this faster than most of my other puppies - so I think Solidpup itself is good in this area.
Which Network wizard do you use for your setup? Do you use SNS, Frisbee or the standard (classic) network wizard? I almost always use the standard wizard as I fins SNS unreliable, and have had some variable behaviour from Frisbee on some machines/puppies.
Are you able to do a trial by making a fresh Solidpup installation, with fresh savefile, and then connect with only the standard wizard then resave? See if that allows reconnection after boot?
(Also are you choosing a different puppy hostname for each puppy install? eg: not puppypc but something like puppypc1234?) Some routers (like my Thomson) keep a sort of database of which machines come online (IP address, MAC address and hostname) and it seems to affect the reliability of connection if the same hostname is attached to multiple devices.
Just a brief reply, because I'm tired etc.
At the moment, it's the standard (classic) network wizard, using WEP.
Her old computer is still using that, while I test this one. Maybe that's why WPA-2 gave trouble?
I don't know where to get Frisbee that works under SolidPup?

There's only one install on this now,

ls -l /mnt/home/solid/
total 363608
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   1911676 Oct 21 22:39 initrd.gz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root   2177648 Oct 21 22:39 vmlinuz
-rwxr-xr-x 1 root root  99430400 Oct 21 22:47 wary_511.sfs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 268435456 Nov  2 18:55 warysave-nov1a.2fs
I had renamed the old savefile, and installed fresh.

The Actiontec router lists many wireless connections besides this one (below); how can I get rid of them?

eth1      Link encap:Ethernet  HWaddr 00:16:6F:8A:D8:89  
          inet addr:192.168.1.4  Bcast:192.168.1.255  Mask:255.255.255.0

greengeek

#284 Post by greengeek »

sheldonisaac wrote:At the moment, it's the standard (classic) network wizard, using WEP.
Her old computer is still using that, while I test this one. Maybe that's why WPA-2 gave trouble?
That's a possibility. I haven't used WEP recently, but I've heard of some wireless connection oddities if the Puppy security method "conflicts" with the selected router one. Does this other post offer any clues?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=81600

Tman

#285 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac wrote: I don't know where to get Frisbee that works under SolidPup?
I have compiled wpa-supplicant in Solidpup-511B. Please test it out for me and report your findings. I've also provided the links to the other needed pets for Frisbee, below.

Frisbee-beta-2.pet
xpupsay-1.2.1.pet
dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet
Attachments
wpa_supplicant-1.0-solid511B.pet
(193.91 KiB) Downloaded 706 times

sheldonisaac

#286 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote: I don't know where to get Frisbee that works under SolidPup?
I have compiled wpa-supplicant in Solidpup-511B. Please test it out for me and report your findings. I've also provided the links to the other needed pets for Frisbee, below.

Frisbee-beta-2.pet
xpupsay-1.2.1.pet
dhcpcd-5.2.9-i486.pet
Thanks much, Tman.
Will do it soon, I hope.
Just now, I have to try to get my friend's Opera bookmarks onto this computer; I borrowed her current one to do that.

sheldonisaac

Re: Solidpup 5.1.1 final

#287 Post by sheldonisaac »

How can I have it automount USB drives when they are plugged in?

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon

Tman

#288 Post by Tman »

sheldonisaac wrote:How can I have it automount USB drives when they are plugged in?

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon
I don't know of any easy solution for auto-mounting USB drives once they are just plugged-in.
If you leave the usb stick in there most of the time, then (I think) you can use startmount to automount it at bootup time.

Or you can use a trick that I learned from greengeek.. type this in the terminal:

geany /etc/eventmanager
Next, edit the line that says HOTPLUGNOISY="false" to HOTPLUGNOISY="true"
Then restart-x for the settings to take effect. This won't automount the drives, but you
will get a pop-up window from Pmount, and you can mount the drive from there.

sheldonisaac

#289 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
sheldonisaac wrote:How can I have it automount USB drives when they are plugged in?

Thanks a lot,
Sheldon
I don't know of any easy solution for auto-mounting USB drives once they are just plugged-in.
If you leave the usb stick in there most of the time, then (I think) you can use startmount to automount it at bootup time.

Or you can use a trick that I learned from greengeek.. type this in the terminal:

geany /etc/eventmanager
Next, edit the line that says HOTPLUGNOISY="false" to HOTPLUGNOISY="true"
Then restart-x for the settings to take effect. This won't automount the drives, but you
will get a pop-up window from Pmount, and you can mount the drive from there.
I was in error on that question: probably I was thinking that Puppy should "know" that I'd plugged in the USB drive in, and put an icon on the desktop.

I've tried it again, and that does occur.
Then I can just click on its icon to mount it,

sheldonisaac

#290 Post by sheldonisaac »

Tman wrote:
I have compiled wpa-supplicant in Solidpup-511B. Please test it out for me and report your findings
I'm using the Solid Pup from
104124416 Oct 23 12:04 /mnt/sda2/sources/Solidpup511B-Lite-rc2.iso
without any later changes.

Installed in this order: dhcpd, wpasupplicant, xpupsay, Frisbee

Seems to work fine.

(EDIT: Last night was with WEP. I managed to get WPA this morning.
I guess I now have to change my friend's to WPA also?)

Thank you very much.

Sheldon