(OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index (OLD) (ARCHIVED) Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

This forum can also be accessed as http://oldforum.puppylinux.com
It is now read-only and serves only as archives.

Please register over the NEW forum
https://forum.puppylinux.com
and continue your work there. Thank you.

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups    
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 24 Jan 2021, 21:44
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Akita Linux, Beta 16 ISO
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 8 of 72 [1080 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 70, 71, 72 Next
technosaurus

PostPosted: Tue 26 Jul 2011, 18:21    Post subject:  

The reason it is slow, is b/c the pets weren't packaged with the pet.specs first, so it requires 100% download.

Also because tar is not told to eliminate ./ when a pet it is built, some pkgs will have pet.specs at ./$pkg/pet.specs instead of just $pkg/pet.specs ... just add it to the end of the tar command with the other and it will work

Code:
wget -q -O - $REPO_DIR/$PKG$EXT |gunzip |tar -x $PKG/pet.specs ./$PKG/pet.specs 2>/dev/null &

Re: woof
Don't update your existing woof, just download a new one and use diff to get the changes since your last update.

big_bass

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2011, 02:18    Post subject:  

Quote:
the reason it is slow, is b/c the pets weren't packaged with the pet.specs first, so it requires 100% download.

to pull out a file using zcat without decompressing the whole thing

for example here zcat package.tgz | tar xvf - install/slack-desc

look for the slack-desc file something like what you are looking for the "pet.specs"

Code:
zcat /root/sbopkg-0.35.0-noarch-1_cng.tgz | tar xvf - install/slack-desc

P.S I happened to need this quick test for a short description for a GUI for unofficial packages
maybe you can hack at it to work for you also

Joe

edited to remove an incorrect comment about *.pet

Last edited by big_bass on Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:34; edited 2 times in total
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2011, 08:49    Post subject:  

Thanks for the info guys..

Techno, I now have the following in my 'get-wary-repo' script:

Code:
# for each .pet filename listed in $PETSFILE
for x in $(cat ${PETSFILE}); do
  petname="$x"
  wget -q -O - ${REPO_DIR}/${petname} |gunzip |tar -x $petname/pet.specs ./$petname/pet.specs 2>/dev/null
  echo "\"${petname}\" \"${petname}: \" off " >> ${FINALFILE}
done
Your line of code seems to execute fine, but what is it actually doing?

I can find no way of downloading (or piping the contents of) the .pet.spec files, which I need to insert into $FINALFILE

Quote:
Don't update your existing woof, just download a new one and use diff to get the changes since your last update.

I've never downloaded Woof, so that'll be fine, can't replace anything!

Quote:
The reason it is slow, is b/c the pets weren't packaged with the pet.specs first, so it requires 100% download.

I couldn't get past the 3rd package after 20 mins.. I guess it was the lack of ./ in the tar command... I can now..

bigbass, I am running the following on local pets, on my HD.

Code:
zcat $PETFILE | tar --wildcards -xvf - *pet.specs

It's extracting the .pet.specs to the current dir fine on local files. Seems to work for a number of pets, both with and without ./ inside. It also works for .pet.spec files which include the package filename (cos they exist, too - one example is "./mhwaveedit-1.4.21-i386.pet.specs")

But can this code be combined with wget to get pet.specs from .pets in online repos? Cos that's what I need.

I will look into adding 1 of these commands into my "get-wary-repo" script (above), to get the pet specs for each package found.. Then hopefully I can parse each .pet.specs, adding its info into the main PPM-friendly list, before it's copied to ~/.packages/livepackages5.txt

EDIT: bigbass, I tried your code in the 'get-wary-repo' script, (just replaced technos with yours, sorry me so dumb) and zcat gives errors, saying 'whatever_pkg.pet.gz' not found

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:00    Post subject:  

Also, I forgot that the wary5 .pets don't register with PetGet.. I need to fix this, so I need to check if the normal registering fails, then apply a woof compatible registration of the installed pet.

Anyone got any ideas where to look?

big_bass

PostPosted: Wed 27 Jul 2011, 11:04    Post subject:  

Code:
But can this code be combined with wget to get pet.specs from .pets in online repos? Cos that's what I need.

the best way is a txt file you could parse I did something like this for slackwares
info to search inside the installed packages

Code:
:>/tmp/shortlist
   ls -1 /var/log/packages/ >/tmp/pkglist

for i in  `cat /tmp/pkglist` ; do
        sed -n 6p  /var/log/packages/$i  >>/tmp/shortlist
   done     

the logic would be the same though for puppy

it makes a blank file if there isnt one
makes a list of installed packages
filter out the short description only with sed * for puppy an array* I wrote a simple array search somewhere I'll look for it

*then for the server side the same thing goes its easier to parse a text file

Quote:
nice with the --wildcards

I did try it with a pet and thought that the magic was throwing an error for *. pet
when it didnt work the same so I will remove that comment from my first post

zcat is identical to gunzip -c. (On some systems, zcat may be installed as gzcat to preserve the original link to compress.) zcat uncompresses either a list of files on the command line or its standard input and writes the uncompressed data on standard output. zcat will uncompress files that have the correct magic number whether they have a .gz suffix or not.

I found it

somefile2.txt has this data
the|three|little|pigs

# pull out a value from an array
Code:
IFS='|'
array=( $(cat<somefile2.txt) )
IFS=$' \t\n'
# if you want to see the output of any string in the array add this
echo ${array[0]}
echo ${array[1]}
echo ${array[2]}
echo ${array[3]}

Joe
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2011, 12:50    Post subject:  

I have been playing with the PPM, adding many packages and seeing what works.. The success rate is good, and can be improved... I need to open the Wary sfs and steal a few libs, and add them to the puplite6 main sfs..

I also noticed that Firefox 4 (from the Wary repo) does not setup quite right after installation .. cos the .pet assumes the /usr/lib/firefox folder will point to firefox-4.0.1 (if I remember correctly)...

Firefox generally installs to /usr/lib/firefox-$VERSION

Knowing exactly where to put the Flash plugin for Firefox becomes difficult,
unless you know the /usr/lib/firefox is (or points to) the preferred firefox install.

I do not know how Playdayz and others get around this problem, particularly when no real browser is installed by default, and users add different (versions of) browsers, but I need /usr/lib/firefox for Flash plugins, as well as others, like /usr/lib/seamonkey, etc.. These folders have symlinks that make Adobe Flash work in all browsers right away, would be a pain in the arse without them..

Anyway, I go round this problem by creating symlinks to /usr/lib/firefox, such as /usr/lib/firefox-4.0.1, and a few others as well... This is an ugly (albeit simple and working) way round the issue, and I welcome any suggestions to get round it.

EDIT: here's a list of missing libs, and the packages from PPM which need them:
(many of these libs not in 'wary5' or 'common' repos)

- libglut => quite a few
- libxslt => needs upgrade in general
- libXp.so.6 => xcalc (indicates a GTK lib that I missed, I think)
- libpoppler.so.7, libpoppler-glib => inkview (SVG stuff)
- libidn => pigdin (libpurple)
- libltdl =>gphoto, homebank
- libudev => vlc plugin
x hunspell => seamonkey
- libofx =>homebank
- libosp => ofx
x libyahoo => ayttm
- libmtp => vlc mtp plugin
- libtalloc, libtdb, libwbclient => samba
- libwv => abiword

Last edited by sc0ttman on Thu 28 Jul 2011, 15:43; edited 1 time in total
technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2011, 15:23    Post subject:  

Plugins should go in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins where this won't happen. All npapi plugin capable browsers look there.

FireFox (& SeaMonkey) pets should have a pinstall.sh script that handles symlinks and defaultbrowser choice.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2011, 15:40    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
Plugins should go in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins where this won't happen. All npapi plugin capable browsers look there.

FireFox (& SeaMonkey) pets should have a pinstall.sh script that handles symlinks and defaultbrowser choice.

Really? EDIT: YES! Nice... Well that solves that. Thanks very much.
(Posting this from FF4, newly installed from PPM on a fixed remaster, youtube working Smile )

And sorry to nag Techno, but any ideas on getting the wget pet specs thing to work in my get-wary-repo script? I posted above about it - your code is in my script, runs without errors, but I dont know what do with it (cant get the pet.specs files, or their contents) ....

technosaurus

PostPosted: Thu 28 Jul 2011, 21:43    Post subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:
And sorry to nag Techno, but any ideas on getting the wget pet specs thing to work in my get-wary-repo script? I posted above about it - your code is in my script, runs without errors, but I dont know what do with it (cant get the pet.specs files, or their contents) ....
I put the $EXT in there for a reason (the directories are not named <pkg>.pet and you need the paths exactly as passed to tar, which is either dirname or ./dirname), you can either remove the ".pet" from your package listing and then add it only to your wget url, or you can use basename or substring manipulation to remove it in the other places.
sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 05:20    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
sc0ttman wrote:
I put the $EXT in there for a reason (the directories are not named <pkg>.pet and you need the paths exactly as passed to tar, which is either dirname or ./dirname), you can either remove the ".pet" from your package listing and then add it only to your wget url, or you can use basename or substring manipulation to remove it in the other places.

Whoops, yeah that was dumb of me... Fixed and am getting the pet.specs.. Now to parse them... Smile

EDIT: Nearly done, 1 hour and 2GB later... Smile
Good thing end-users will not need to run this script!

Hopefully this new livepackages5.txt file, which is nearly done,
will fix the following problems in PPM, without additional work (yeah, right):

- missing dependancy detection and installation
- filtering the wary5 repo by category

EDIT2: Done, the issues listed just above are indeed fixed Smile

The full way repo is in the PPM, filtering and missing dependancy installation work fine! Very Happy

But the script is very slow, and I downloaded around 2.1GB...
Although diskspace is not affected by these downloads..

I hope Barry repackages the pets in the common and wary repos,
so that the pet.specs files are first in the archives... Will save so much time and bandwidth for simple repo parsing scripts...

Iguleder made a binary in Fortran, that gets a whole ubuntu repo in about 1min,
will have to have a few questions there - I don't see why we can't rewrite it for a puppy repo (wary/common/etc)

But my step is to clean up /root/.packages/packages.txt

- include all packages now included by default
- remove all stuff not included by default anymore
- fix PPM removal of woof built .pet packages (look into old pet.specs)

Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 09:15    Post subject:  

The MuPDF binary is 5.5 MB here after stripping ... impressive Laughing
smokey01

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 09:27    Post subject:  

Where?
Iguleder

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 09:29    Post subject:  

Built it on dpup, it's simply huge. It has fonts and many static libraries built into the binary.

And regarding speed - I don't see any big difference and I use a netbook.

sc0ttman

PostPosted: Fri 29 Jul 2011, 14:51    Post subject:  

Iguleder wrote:
The MuPDF binary is 5.5 MB here after stripping ... impressive Laughing

was this meant to be posted here? and while you're here, Igu, could your fortran binary thing that you posted about recently be re-worked to support an official puppy repo? If so, would it be faster than the lucid PPM is at the moment (when updating repos, I mean)?

starhawk

PostPosted: Sat 30 Jul 2011, 00:11    Post subject:  

scottman, I have an interesting offer for you (I think)... I'm an artist, you see, and I was wondering if you'd like some new graphics for Puplite. I can do both individual icons (as *.png files or whatever) and background graphics. I'll need to know what size(s) you want everything, but other than that, just give me a few ideas and I'll see what I can do.

BTW, one of my chief complaints with Wary 511 (never tried 510) is that I have to pass "puppy nosmp" at boot or I get a kernel panic. This is only on my Celeron M-based HP desktop, so I don't know if it's a CPU issue or an idiosyncrasy of that particular system. That said, I'd love to see that issue eliminated...

...and two other things... (1) Could you find a way to make the drives tray dynamic? i.e. when I plug in my USB stick, the icon appears, without having to restart JWM? (2) Can we have the "real" conky, instead of goingnuts' pmconky? No offense, goingnuts, but I like the look of the real thing better -- that font just reminds me a little too much of an IBM 360's terminal or somesuch Wink

Page 8 of 72 [1080 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, ..., 70, 71, 72 Next
This forum is locked: you cannot post, reply to, or edit topics.   This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies. View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: