Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sun 20 Apr 2014, 09:56
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Akita Linux, Beta 16 ISO
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 43 of 70 [1036 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
Author Message
Peterm321

Joined: 29 Jan 2009
Posts: 209

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2012, 11:36    Post subject:  

sc0ttman wrote:
Hello people....


Welcome back (it seems its been some time since your last post).
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sc0ttman


Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 2363
Location: UK

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2012, 14:55    Post subject:  

Peterm321 wrote:
sc0ttman wrote:
Hello people....


Welcome back (it seems its been some time since your last post).

It's been a while, but nice to be back... I see I have a lot of catching up to do... Smile

_________________
Akita Linux, VLC-GTK, Pup Search, Pup File Search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Puppyt

Joined: 09 May 2008
Posts: 551
Location: Karana Downs, Queensland

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2012, 21:40    Post subject:  

Hey yer, sc0ttman! Wink
good to see you feeling better - I'd hoped maybe you'd happily eloped with a nurse etc, rather than a horror relapse/secondary infection you often hear about...
I probably owe a decent feedback sesh on Akita8 - the kids had a great time with it over the school hols - ran without hiccup. Particularly noteworthy are puppyluvr's X-Toys pet and Asri Educations' OOo4Kids: the former had some minor WM screen issues (maybe corrected in the fixes I see you listed for Akita9), and the latter SFS was converted easily and faultlessly into something Akita could digest, and also runs without blemish.
SuperTuxKart is the major drawcard in the games department, though tracking down respective dependencies for various games was awkward on a machine not connected online Smile . Thanks for your Boost, mesa/glx/OpenGL/other lib pets in your repository - later I saw that your PPM and repository notes had more info on what went with what, so our Akita is armed to the teeth with libraries!
I did have trouble with SoulFu - never got it working - and I think there was another game that called for OGRElibs (?) and other libraries, but I can't remember what they were.
I didn't get around to loading ANY DOSgames (or DBGL), though would be interested in getting NetHack souped up with VultureEye or other 3D perspective or detailed tiling - kids today just don't seem to have the imagination for ASCII...
In Haste,
Puppyt

_________________
Toowoomba Linux Community
http://groups.google.com/group/toowoombalinux
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
starhawk

Joined: 22 Nov 2010
Posts: 2536
Location: Everybody knows this is nowhere...

PostPosted: Sun 08 Jul 2012, 23:06    Post subject:  

sc0ttman, it's WONDERFUL to see that you're back. I was worried that you were in the sort of state that would prevent such a thing Wink

What happened? (I remember hearing about appendicitis IIRC and then... nothing.)

_________________
Loving X-Slacko 1.1! Get the PetGet patch on pg8; it's important.
Next system will be an HP MOCA-AR + Core2Duo in an innovative case... if I ever get off my butt and build it Razz
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Keef


Joined: 20 Dec 2007
Posts: 562
Location: Staffordshire

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2012, 17:55    Post subject:  

Good to see you back Scottman. Posting from Beta 9 right now, and haven't come to any harm yet....
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mark_C

Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Mon 09 Jul 2012, 21:09    Post subject: moving folders  

I was going to try and move the .mozilla folder out of the save file area and then link it back but I got errors when trying to move the folder, tried some others and same thing.
Not sure if this is a bug or not, but thought I would mention it.

Here are few of the error lines when trying to move the .wine folder

Moving /root/.wine as /mnt/home/.wine
mv: cannot create symbolic link `/mnt/home/.wine/dosdevices/c:': Operation not permitted
mv: cannot create symbolic link `/mnt/home/.wine/dosdevices/z:': Operation not permitted
mv: preserving permissions for `/mnt/home/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/wineps.drv': Operation not permitted
mv: preserving permissions for `/mnt/home/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/mswsock.dll': Operation not permitted
mv: preserving permissions for `/mnt/home/.wine/drive_c/windows/system32/dmsynth.dll': Operation not permitted

Done
There was one error.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sc0ttman


Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 2363
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:40    Post subject:  

Puppyt wrote:
Hey yer, sc0ttman! Wink
good to see you feeling better - I'd hoped maybe you'd happily eloped with a nurse etc, rather than a horror relapse/secondary infection you often hear about...

Feeling much better thanks, recovered... feel like a baby for moaning when I was ill! Laughing

Quote:
I probably owe a decent feedback sesh on Akita8 - the kids had a great time with it over the school hols - ran without hiccup. Particularly noteworthy are puppyluvr's X-Toys pet and Asri Educations' OOo4Kids:

Glad to hear they enjoyed it... Wish I could fill the repos even more...

Quote:
the former had some minor WM screen issues

I guess the 'WM issues' are JWM related? (If that's what you used)..

Quote:
SuperTuxKart is the major drawcard in the games department, though tracking down respective dependencies for various games was awkward on a machine not connected online Smile

Which games needed extra libs? And which libs did they need?
Once I got OpenGL enabled (using NVIDIA-173.xxx.xxx), the pkgs work fine for me, if installed from PPM..

Quote:
Thanks for your Boost, mesa/glx/OpenGL/other lib pets in your repository - later I saw that your PPM and repository notes had more info on what went with what, so our Akita is armed to the teeth with libraries!

I'm not sure the xorg_xorg_dri pet works with Akita, in pup4 or wary repo..
...but Nvidia and Ati pets should work OK...

Quote:
I did have trouble with SoulFu - never got it working - and I think there was another game that called for OGRElibs (?) and other libraries, but I can't remember what they were.

Hmmmm... I tested SoulFu, worked fine for me... Not a bad little game..
What errors did you get?


Thanks for the feedback once again, I really appreciate it.
And I'm happy you enjoyed using Akita. Smile

_________________
Akita Linux, VLC-GTK, Pup Search, Pup File Search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sc0ttman


Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 2363
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:42    Post subject:  

starhawk wrote:
sc0ttman, it's WONDERFUL to see that you're back. I was worried that you were in the sort of state that would prevent such a thing Wink

What happened? (I remember hearing about appendicitis IIRC and then... nothing.)

Thanks very much Smile, nice to see you're still here...
Might not be posting so regularly for a while though, a bit busy...
Yeah it went pop and I was all like "Ouch!", and stuff...

_________________
Akita Linux, VLC-GTK, Pup Search, Pup File Search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sc0ttman


Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 2363
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:44    Post subject:  

Keef wrote:
Good to see you back Scottman. Posting from Beta 9 right now, and haven't come to any harm yet....

Thanks Keef. If you're using it with any kind of regularity and have any ideas or suggestions for beta 10, let me know...

_________________
Akita Linux, VLC-GTK, Pup Search, Pup File Search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sc0ttman


Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 2363
Location: UK

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:46    Post subject: Re: moving folders  

Mark_C wrote:
I was going to try and move the .mozilla folder out of the save file area and then link it back but I got errors when trying to move the folder, tried some others and same thing.

I just tried the same it worked OK... Which filesystem is /mnt/home using?

_________________
Akita Linux, VLC-GTK, Pup Search, Pup File Search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
technosaurus


Joined: 18 May 2008
Posts: 4134

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012, 18:47    Post subject:  

My kids are still enjoying using v8 on their underpowered DecTops with the gtk1 standalone flash player 6 (gflashplayer) They have so little ram that I had to disable rox and use jwm for the desktop icons (actually though rox-gtk1 with imlib works too) so now I have another jwm tool that will generate pseudo desktop icons from *.desktop files in $HOME/Desktop looks good if the background is a solid color and the trays are the same color. If there is enough interest here, I can extend it to support other files similar to .lnk on ms.
_________________
Web Programming - Pet Packaging 100 & 101
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Mark_C

Joined: 28 Aug 2010
Posts: 35

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012, 20:27    Post subject: Re: moving folders  

sc0ttman wrote:
Mark_C wrote:
I was going to try and move the .mozilla folder out of the save file area and then link it back but I got errors when trying to move the folder, tried some others and same thing.

I just tried the same it worked OK... Which filesystem is /mnt/home using?


fat32 on a usb hard drive
Could be my an error on my part, I will re-check what I am doing.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sneekylinux

Joined: 20 Mar 2009
Posts: 65
Location: dorset,uk

PostPosted: Tue 10 Jul 2012, 20:44    Post subject:  

have just posted a new video on akita beta 9

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Oltg-lqDpkA

nice.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message MSN Messenger 
greengeek

Joined: 20 Jul 2010
Posts: 2090
Location: New Zealand

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2012, 05:30    Post subject:  

scottman - I've installed A9 to the hard drive of my Acer Aspire One netbook (D250 1.6ghz 1gig ram) and have some problems with the synaptics touchpad adjustments.

It works ok, but I want to turn off tap-to-click and scrolling etc but no joy.

As soon as I use control panel to open the flsynclient the touchpad stops working and I can't position the mouse pointer to make the changes I need. However, if I plug in a usb mouse I am able to set the flsynclient as i want it to be, and then I click on save, but the settings do not get remembered, so that after a reboot the touchpad drops back to the original settings.

Any ideas?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
sc0ttman


Joined: 16 Sep 2009
Posts: 2363
Location: UK

PostPosted: Wed 11 Jul 2012, 11:31    Post subject:  

technosaurus wrote:
My kids are still enjoying using v8 on their underpowered DecTops with the gtk1 standalone flash player 6 (gflashplayer) They have so little ram that I had to disable rox and use jwm for the desktop icons (actually though rox-gtk1 with imlib works too) so now I have another jwm tool that will generate pseudo desktop icons from *.desktop files in $HOME/Desktop looks good if the background is a solid color and the trays are the same color. If there is enough interest here, I can extend it to support other files similar to .lnk on ms.

Glad they like it... I'd like to get rox-gtk1 in the akita repo, along with any other cool gtk1 stuff you know of/can link to... I've tested ur jwm icons, I didn't have the background matching so it was a bit ugly, but it worked well, I like it... Would be interested in using it...

I think, with JWM desktop icons, I could update 'Toggle Rox Desktop' to simply 'Toggle Desktop', and change the offer - either a JWM only solution, or 'the full whack' (ROX icons, etc)....

I am also still keen do get something better than the JWM drive Icons I am using, maybe migrate it all into a tray, so it updates with jwm -reload... Will have to have another look at jwm_tools.

_________________
Akita Linux, VLC-GTK, Pup Search, Pup File Search
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 43 of 70 [1036 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, ..., 41, 42, 43, 44, 45, ..., 68, 69, 70 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.0900s ][ Queries: 12 (0.0123s) ][ GZIP on ]