Opinions on a new puppy possibility

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
rdog

Opinions on a new puppy possibility

#1 Post by rdog »

I have been using Puppy Lupu 5.2, I started with an earlier version. My preferred use of this puppy has evolved with my needs and experimentation. I put so much time into customization and sfs builds that I'm hesitant to redo it all for Slacko 5.3.3.

One of the things I especially liked about Puppy, is that with the frugal install I could change puppy versions easily, and with SFS files I could extend puppy without permanent change to the base file system.

When a new Firefox or Filezilla version came out I simply modified my SFS file for that program and restarted Puppy. I kept as much code out of the personal save file as possible.

This was perfect for keeping my USB version in sync with the features available in my frugal install on my workstation. Every new SFS file I created was copied to the USB version as well as locally. My systems were so identical sometimes I would forget I was booted to the USB version until I tried to find a file that I had downloaded. I save to a different location in the frugal build.

Now my problem. I noticed that the Slacko 5.3.3 build did not recognize my personal save file. Perhaps the solution is as simple as renaming the file but perhaps not. I have a lot of personal data in the personal save file which is encrypted. Yes I did at one time learn how to open an encrypted personal save file so I could copy files out of it etc. so I am not stuck. I am also quite happy that the encryption for the personal save file (now) actually works with a password that is longer than 8 characters. There was a time when it did not. So building a new personal save file with a longer password is a desirable thing presently.

But I feel I am at a sort of crossroads. There are many things which were built into the base file lupu_520.sfs that I would have liked to be in a separate sfs file to make them easier to update without messing with the base sfs file. Then again, when a new kernel is available it would be nice to update the kernel in my system.

So I have been considering the possibility of using woof to create my own system. But I have limited resources (time mostly) so perhaps it is better if I put some time into helping with an existing puppy version.

What I am looking for in an existing system:
Ability to use all available RAM
Small base sfs size, I don't need a ton of frequently changed software embedded into the base sfs file.
Ability to use multiple SFS files, loaded at boot and afterwords.
Support for strong encryption
An easy to understand menu system, so custom SFS file creation with included menu and desktop items are not such a chore.
Ability to boot from multiple target hardware systems, USB version is used to troubleshoot end users computers.
Ability to develop software, compile and run C, C++, perl, python, etc..
Stable and secure source for base packages

Additionally, I will be working towards having a platform that will let me install and run software that insists on being run as a user other than root. This software is usually provided in binary form with an installer.

My USB version has been modified so that it does not automatically save changes. It prompts to save changes at shutdown so it is possible to keep it unchanged after a visit to a client with potentially hostile software on their sick computer.

Should I be working with an existing puppy version or should I create my own? What do you think?

Thanks,
Rob

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

rdog wrote:
Then again, when a new kernel is available it would be nice to update the kernel in my system.

For that part, go here.

mikeslr

Easy Upgrading of Lupus

#3 Post by mikeslr »

Hi rdog,

I recommend that you consider Barry K's PAE version of precise. http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76961. PAE means it can use greater than 4Gb of Ram. Because, like Lupu, it is a woof build based on Ubuntu (just a later kernel and apps) all, or almost all, of your current pets and sfses should be functional. Consequently, you can build the sfses you want in your current system: they should work under precise, and you can upgrade them later at your convenience. [There are currently 4 versions of precise, three from Barry K, and the OV-precise built by Old Yeller. While they're all labeled “beta

RSH

#4 Post by RSH »

Another thing you might consider is the use of portable linux applications. See http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 1016412980 for links.
This one, presented here is completely removed.

I have tested a lot of links - everywhere the same message :cry:
[b][url=http://lazy-puppy.weebly.com]LazY Puppy[/url][/b]
[b][url=http://rshs-dna.weebly.com]RSH's DNA[/url][/b]
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91422][b]SARA B.[/b][/url]

muggins

#5 Post by muggins »

What about here?

rdog

#6 Post by rdog »

Thank you everyone for the replies. I'll look into the PAE version of Precise as it does indeed sound like an easier migration.
Take Care,
Rob