Songbird & wma

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
bones01

Songbird & wma

#1 Post by bones01 »

Hi all,
I have Songbird via quickpet but it won't play WMA files. When trying to get a plugin that might help, I end up with a message that my version of songbird won't support this.

I know this all seems a bit vague, but is there a reason that songbird won't play wma files?

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise Puppy 5.4 live DVD
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

pemasu

#2 Post by pemasu »

I tested Songbird from Lucid repo about 6 months ago. It didnt handle shoutcast streams, existing plugins didnt work and there wasnt cure at that time. So I dropped Songbird. It is big, does not support what it should in Puppy.
I have replaced the need of Songbird with latest Deadbeef, Goggles music Manager and Streamtuner2. Also Umplayer with youtube search engine covers the rest of multimedia and music playing needs.

Sorry, I didnt answer your question, but I recommend you to check the latest Deadbeef. It supports usual music formats, handles ripping and also conversion of music formats, internet streams and so on...

bones01

#3 Post by bones01 »

Thanks Pemasu.

I'll have a look at Deadbeef. Tried Audacios via PPM but it won't even open!!

Cheers.

Bones
Dell Latitude D630 running Puppy 5.2.8 frugal, Macpup 525 frugal (if I can get it working again. Sadly, I couldn't get it fixed :? )
Precise 5.7.3 on USB

playdayz

#4 Post by playdayz »

I understand that Songbird has dropped the Linux version. I think I could fix it.

I use Audacious 2.5.1 daily in Lucid 5.2.5. What happens if you enter 'audacious' in a terminal?

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... cid525.pet

We now also have Clementine/Amarok and Banshee audio players, and deadbeef and Aqualung.

Ah-ha, Songbird has "officially" dropped its Linux version, but evidently some developers still build one. Here is Songbird 1.9.3.

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... -Lucid.pet
I know this all seems a bit vague, but is there a reason that songbird won't play wma files?
Songbird will not play wma drm-protected files---nor will any Linux players. I don't have any wma files to test with. OK, I made one to test with and Songbird doesn't play it. Maybe someone knows why not.

Here's the official word
Songbird supports MP3, FLAC, and Vorbis on all platforms; WMA and WMA DRM on Windows; and AAC and Fairplay on Windows and Mac.

bones01

#5 Post by bones01 »

@Playdayz

I obviously didn't reply earlier, but I do want to thank you for putting the link to the songbird .pet here. It's been used since I installed it, and I'm enjoying it greatly.

Cheers.

Bones
Precise 5.7.3 on USB