Wary Tiny (81mb)

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
mrreality13

#31 Post by mrreality13 »

i used tux's 214 for a while on my old lappy .but as a distro hopper/derivative hopper i tried this lil gem it works well on a p1@300 mhz w/96 megs ram-face book even loads -although takes almost a full 5 min..--lol//wifi worked on a linksis wpc11 ver4 otb

Tman

#32 Post by Tman »

SolidPup is better than Wary Tiny (imho)

Try the Tint2 version. It's a little bit bigger at 97MB, but you get more bang for the buck. ( zero bucks..lol) Icewm is still included. You can disable wbar to decrease cpu usage. ( the link for it is in the /root/Startup folder)

JackWagon

xlock

#33 Post by JackWagon »

Wary Tiny works good on my Dell GX-110 OPTIPLEX PIII 800Mhz

Only thing that bugs me is xlock will not work from the desktop 'lock' button or PupControl>Desktop>Xlock>. Although It will run from gExec from PupControl>Install>Run Program i'm not experienced enough to fix it. There seems to be something missing. I read somewhere on the forum there needs to be a file(s) in /usr/local/apps/xlock/local directory, but it is empty.

Can I copy anything from a Luci 5.2.5 save file to make this work as intended or what do you suggest?

JW
Last edited by JackWagon on Fri 24 Feb 2012, 18:30, edited 1 time in total.

darkcity

#34 Post by darkcity »

does the file /root/.xlockrc contain your encrypted password?

if it is blank - delete and try xlock again :arrow:

JackWagon

#35 Post by JackWagon »

darkcity wrote:does the file /root/.xlockrc contain your encrypted password?

if it is blank - delete and try xlock again :arrow:
Yes, there is a password. As I mentioned, it works fine from CL.

darkcity

#36 Post by darkcity »

Normally the desktop icons just point to a short script that in turn points to a binary-

for example-

'write' points to script /usr/local/bin/defaultwordprocessor
which contains-

#!/bin/sh
exec abiword "$@"

abiword is at /usr/bin/abiword

--

xlock however has a binary /usr/bin/xlock

and

a long script at
/usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun

my guess is the CL is running the binary - which means there may be a problem with the script. XLock has a menu entry as well what happens when you click on that?

try running /usr/local/apps/Xlock/AppRun in terminal . . . :arrow:

Tman

Re: xlock

#37 Post by Tman »

JackWagon wrote:Wary Tiny works good on my Dell GX-110 OPTIPLEX PIII 800Mhz

Only thing that bugs me is xlock will not work from the desktop 'lock' button or PupControl>Desktop>Xlock>. Although It will run from gExec from PupControl>Install>Run Program i'm not experienced enough to fix it. There seems to be something missing. I read somewhere on the forum there needs to be a file(s) in /usr/local/apps/xlock/local directory, but it is empty.

Can I copy anything from a Luci 5.2.5 save file to make this work as intended or what do you suggest?

JW
JackWagon,

Wary Tiny was more of a quick, fun project that I created in a 2-day period. If you want to copy the xlcock files over, I would copy it from the original Wary Puppy or a puplet based on it. I don't really use Wary Tiny these days. SolidPup 5.1.1-Tint2 version is based on the same thing Wary Tiny is based on. If you aren't accustomed to the minimalist style of Tint2, you can switch to IceWM from the menu.
( for Tint2 version, right-click on the desktop to bring up the menu )
It is 16Mb larger, but it comes with more apps, bugfixes and is more up-to-date. It should run fine on your computer. A linux swap file is recommended if you have low RAM. If you want to reduce CPU/RAM usage, disable wbar and CPUTemp by removing them from the /root/Startup folder.

For older computers, I would favour SolidPup and Akita.
For newer ones... Exprimo, Saluki, Slacko or Lucid.

yr1945

hyperlinks and window size for rox

#38 Post by yr1945 »

re: warytiny

how can i click on hyperlinks in abiword and have firefox open automatically... currently, when i click or double click on hyperlinks nothing happens...

also, i would like to set a smaller size for the rox window when first opened... can i do it? currently, it opens quite wide when only 4 or 5 files are present, but expands nicely when 15 or 20 files exist... i know how to make some adjustments to the pinboard...

thanks in advance for your support...

Tman

Re: hyperlinks and window size for rox

#39 Post by Tman »

yr1945

I should be concentrating on something else, but it seems that spending roughly a year and a half of my life using Puppy and this forum has created a habit and I keep coming back here over and over, whenever I get bored.

For the record, I stopped developing, and don't plan to do so again for a long time, if ever. It all depends on how good a bash scripter and C programmer I become in the future. And it will depend on my motivation as well. The puplets I've made are no longer maintained.

I don't have Wary Tiny installed, but I believe if you open Rox-Filer, right-click inside a Rox-Filer window, choose:

options --> Tools/Minibuffer

and uncheck the box that says "Width of toolbar sets the minimum size of window" , you should get a smaller Rox-Filer window, when few items are displayed.

About Abiword; I did notice that there is an option to insert a hyperlink, but the letters were grayed-out and I was not able to use that option.
I must confess, that I don't really use Abiword, so maybe if you post the question in the Howto section of this forum, someone else who is more familiar with it may help you.
It should apply to Abiword and all other pups and not specifically for just Wary Tiny.

greengeek

#40 Post by greengeek »

Hi Tman - I just gave the TINT2 version that you mentioned a try on my 10 yr old Toshiba laptop and it is a really nice Puppy! So quick too.

I have not seen any puppy open media files so fast before. And the load-sfs-on-the-fly function makes it really extendable. Love it! Nice work.

ps: Love the periodic table!! My wife is a chemistry teacher and I love showing her what puppy can do.

yr1945

Wary Tiny

#41 Post by yr1945 »

Tman...

Thanks for the response to my questions. My rox window now works the way I want it to... and, as you suggested, I will post my Abiword hyperlink issue on another "thread".

I'm glad that you are still around... even, if on an occasional basis. I have learned a lot about puppylinux from your various activities on this web site.

PS:
My primary OS is Saluki... but, for one reason or another, I really like playing around with Wary Tiny.

benny7440

#42 Post by benny7440 »

Have d/l wary tiny 5.1.1, from it created a folder for trying to frugally booting it up in a VAIO as I do other puppies & put all the iso files in a cfcard (128 MB) ext2 for trying to boot an HPCompaq nx9010. Well, the boot loader is working because I see the menu screen for selecting the option I want to use. The problem is that if I select 'command line only' or 'normal' the computer freezes; if I select 'pristine' the computer reboots.

I'm including the menu.lst file in the cfcard next (relevant parts only):
"title Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode\nFind and load saved sessions on hard-disk
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usb:79b713b8-a848-4855-9b1c-2d9dec57192 pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz

title -Pristine Boot Mode\nLoad to RAM, no saved sessions (pfix=ram)
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usb:79b713b8-a848-4855-9b1c-2d9dec57192 pfix=ram
initrd /initrd.gz

title -Boot to command-line\nCommand-line: Type xwin to start X-windows
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=usb:79b713b8-a848-4855-9b1c-2d9dec57192 fix=ram,nox acpi=off
apm=off nosmp noapic nodma nopcmcia
initrd /initrd.gz"

The HP tells me it's trying (hdo,0) & others, the VAIO identifies it as sdb1. This HP has no hdd & I'm almost sure 256 MB of RAM. Since it has no cfcard port I'm using a usb adapter for it. Two days ago I was booting PL431 installed in the cfcard but there's too little space left & need enough to put a current browser there. Tried the remastering scheme with PL431 but didn't work & I didn't understand the process enough to lower the space required for it enough.

The menu.lst in grub inside the VAIO looks like this (not yet tested):
"# 1) Linux bootable partition config begins
title Puppy Linux 528-005 frugal in sda2 dir puppy528-005
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /puppy528-005/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=puppy528-005
initrd /puppy528-005/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends
# 2) CorePlus partition config begins
title tinycorelinux frugal in sda2 dir tc
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /tc/boot/vmlinuz quiet showapps nozswap pause waitusb=10 tce=sda2 printk.time=1
initrd /tc/boot/core.gz
# CorePlus bootable partition config ends
# 3) Linux bootable partition config begins
title Wary Tiny frugal in sda2 dir warytiny
rootnoverify (hd0,1)
kernel /warytiny/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=warytiny
initrd /warytiny/initrd.gz
# Linux bootable partition config ends "

If you see a mistake or problematic issue with these entries (there's almost sure some of them) please send a signal pointing me in the right direction. Thanks!

Edit: I decided to delete the usb id for the 'pristine' entry & try it again in the HP but does the same thing:
"Booting -Pristine Boot Mode
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3200, size=0x210600]"

Any ideas as to what's happening here?
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

benny7440

#43 Post by benny7440 »

Have been playing in/with wary tiny for a couple of hours now. Yes, it booted the HP. I didn't do anything. Instead of selecting as all the previous times I took my time reading slowly everything &, apparently, it took the default route...

My only issue with it is that Dillo browser. I need a browser that can play youtube videos & play my favorite radio stations. Dillo is very NON-permissive with cookies which is another thing that seems to get in the way, workable but in the way...

Nevertheless, I'm not planning to take anything from it in order to make more room for adding anything, yet, because in the repository there was not a recent FF version available. This last issue makes me ask if there's a pet file or something that could make my day?

Very nice & fast responding, until now...; lets see how it behaves when d/l a streaming video in HD or maybe SD...
[b]Toshiba Satellite L555 / ACPI x64-based PC / Intel Core i5 / ~1.46 @ 3 Partitions GB HDD / 4 GB RAM / CD-DVD RW Drive.
[/b]

Tman

#44 Post by Tman »

benny7440 wrote: Nevertheless, I'm not planning to take anything from it in order to make more room for adding anything, yet, because in the repository there was not a recent FF version available. This last issue makes me ask if there's a pet file or something that could make my day?
benny,

Firefox pets can be found in the Additional Pets section.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index.php?f=53

Also Terryphi regularily updates Opera, which is also compatible, although there may be problems with Opera and flashplayer...Firefox is my favourite browser. Although Chrome is a bit faster, I stick with Firefox becuase of the plugins.

benny7440

#45 Post by benny7440 »

Thanks for replying, Tman!

At the link you provide I saw a page for d/l some FF pet files, including the latest release & I'm asking myself: is there one of them compatible with wary tiny?

Maybe more interesting than this question is: what are the steps for making a pet file? Is it for experts only? What tools one need to do it?

I saw, too, that there's Opera but does it handles what I need? (e.g., jre)

Edit: Tried to d/l the opera sfs file but received a message negating the permission to d/l (guess it was error #401) even though I put the suggested id & pwd (puppy & linux, respectively).

I'm using the HP & the browser is the embedded Dillo. So, can't check if it would work for me as well as it has for others. Dead end!
Last edited by benny7440 on Thu 02 Aug 2012, 22:35, edited 1 time in total.
[/b]

Tman

#46 Post by Tman »

benny,

The Firefox pets that I made should be compatible with pups newer than puppy 4.3.1
That includes Wary/Racy,Dpup, Slacko, Lucid and their derivatives.

http://www.smokey01.com/Tman/apps/firefox/

benny7440

#47 Post by benny7440 »

I'm d/l now the ff pet file (ff 14) & the target location is going to be the sda1 cfcard itself for assured persistency purposes only. I have not made any pupsave file, yet.

What I'm planning to do is test that firefox (which is more advanced than my 11.0 that I'm using right now within PL528.005) &, if that version of ff convinces me I'll substitute my 11th with it in PL528 (frugal). Then, I intend to remaster somehow wary tiny for making more space & install that last ff there & make a pupsave file. Hope it works OK...

Thank you for your help with this, Tman!

Edit: Where's the md5sum data?
[/b]

darry1966

Many thanks

#48 Post by darry1966 »

Many thanks Tman for this great Pup.

Works really well on my NetVista 6339.

benny7440

#49 Post by benny7440 »

I've not remastered anything yet because I've a more important issue while booting this OS up.

I'm booting from a CFCard (128 MB) in an usb-adapter at an Compaq-HP nx9010, this laptop has no hdd. The 1st time I booted up in Pristine Mode as adviced, when finally d/l FF 14 (pet) installed & ran it I decided to make warysave file at Shutdown. It was created & it still exists within the sda1 cfcard.

The problem is that if I try to boot in Normal Mode all that I can see is:
"Booting Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode
[Linux-bzImage, setup=0x3200, size=0x210680]
"

The laptop halts or freezes to the point that pressing Ctl+Alt+Del doesn't do anything, so to restart I've to press the Power button & always the Pristine Mode.

Is there any setting that I've to take care off, either at BIOS level or linux configuration to make things persistent?

PS. At the splash screen I saw that selecting Normal Mode would mean that the warysave.2fs file will be searched for at hd0,0 but I don't have a hdd. Is this a problem or a generic way of saying that the file will just be searched for at all locations (drives)?
[/b]

Tman

#50 Post by Tman »

benny,

I cannot give you a definate answer, because I haven't ever setup Puppy (or any OS) with a bootable CF card.
But I can only think of 2 possible problems:

1) Your save file might be corrupt becuase adding Firefox, along with the additional files that Firefox installs, once you run it for the first time would exceed the size of you save file, since you can only have a maximum of about 48MB, considering WaryTiny is 80MB and your CF card is 128MB.

- To find out if it is a save file problem, first delete your save file.
Next, reboot in Pristine Boot mode and create a new save file without adding any extra pets, and see if WaryTiny boots up in normal mode.

2) If the save file is not the problem, then it could be problem with the menu.lst file. A conventional entry for Normal Mode would be something like this:

Code: Select all

title Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode\nFind and load saved sessions
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /warytiny/initrd.gz
kernel /warytiny/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /warytiny/initrd.gz
If your bootup files are not inside a folder, then adjust the lines accordingly to something like:

Code: Select all

title Wary Tiny 5.1.1 - Normal Mode\nFind and load saved sessions
find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /initrd.gz
kernel /vmlinuz pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
initrd /initrd.gz
I am not sure what the best "pmedia" option for a CF card is. These are the only solutions I can think of.
If you've tried my suggestions and it still doesn't work, you can post the problem in the ""Howto" section, and other members might be able to help...good luck.