Hp Deskjet F4280

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of printers
creppolo

Hp Deskjet F4280

#1 Post by creppolo »

I have a problem with an HP Deskjet F4280, following the advice I found here and there in the forum and the net I installed Hpliplite, hpijs and other libraries and the printer starts the printing process but does not print anything, the paper remains blank. Help me please ...

Ps: the scanner works!

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

I also own a Deskjet F4280 and it definitely works in Puppy. However, once you start installing multiple drivers, problems can arise.

What Puppy version are you using?

I would recommend that you do a fresh install of Puppy before trying anything else. Then reply back.

creppolo

#3 Post by creppolo »

thanks for fast reply, i use puppy lupu 5.25
a new installation ? solve the problems??? and when the new installation is gone, what driver i use? only hplip, hplip and hpijs or others???
thanks!

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

I would recommend the drivers from here. Use the hpijs_print-3.11.3.pet for printing and the hplip_scan-3.11.3.pet for scanning.

creppolo

#5 Post by creppolo »

i reinstall lupu, and :
1. with no driver the printer no works
2. with only hpijs the printer no works
3. with hpliplite (e gutenprint) the printer no works: does not print but it takes the paper and try to print and then kicks him out white

... and now??? help me please !!!

rcrsn51

#6 Post by rcrsn51 »

creppolo wrote:2. with only hpijs the printer no works
Please list step-by-step what you did to install the printer.

Did you try to print a test page from CUPS?

creppolo

#7 Post by creppolo »

1. cups: unable to send command to printer driver
"unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-command'

2. step-by-step (no driver)
a.new installation of lupu
b.printer to usb
c.go to system-cups-manage printers
d.add printer
e.select printer
f.go to abiword
g.print a document
2.1 step-by-step (hpijs)
a. install pack hpijs-2.8.7.pet
b.go to point 2
2.2 step-by-step (hpliplite+ghostscript)
a. install pack libnetsnmp-1.5.pet, install pack hpliplite-3.10.5.pet, install pack ghostscript-8.15.4-q1.pet)
b. go to point 2

rcrsn51

#8 Post by rcrsn51 »

creppolo wrote:1. cups: unable to send command to printer driver
"unsupported format 'application/vnd.cups-command'
Where are you seeing that error message?
hpijs-2.8.7.pet
That wasn't the package I recommended.
install pack ghostscript-8.15.4-q1.pet)
Puppy already has Ghostscript.
Last edited by rcrsn51 on Wed 01 Jun 2011, 12:50, edited 1 time in total.

creppolo

#9 Post by creppolo »

at CUPS/maintenance/print-test-self-page
:cry:

rcrsn51

#10 Post by rcrsn51 »

Please see my other comments above.

creppolo

#11 Post by creppolo »

I'm sorry, I do not understand ... What should I look?

creppolo

#12 Post by creppolo »

I'm sorry, I have to translate a few sentences and effort, which package should I install hpijs?

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

at CUPS/maintenance/print-test-self-page
Use "Print Test Page", not "Print Self Test Page".

If you have installed hpijs-2.8.7 or Ghostscript, you need to install Lupu again. Do NOT install anything else!

Go to this thread and install the hpijs_print-3.11.3.pet.

Install your printer. Test it with "Print Test Page".

[Edit] If you are using a frugal install, you MUST also delete your old lupusave.2fs file.

dawnsboy

Odd suddenly I have this issue

#14 Post by dawnsboy »

I have an HP Deskjet F4440 all in one printer (print, scan and copy). I have always successfully used it with Linux. Usually Puppy Linux. However as I have played around with different distro's and multiple computers the printer has always worked.

It has now ceased to function and the symptoms are identical to the one described in the first post of the thread. The printer installs properly using the correct drivers. I can send a print job to the printer and it will feed the paper from the tray to the printer. It will feed the required number of sheets to complete the print job however the pages are blank.

I do not believe that the ink cartridge has expired.

rcrsn51

Re: Odd suddenly I have this issue

#15 Post by rcrsn51 »

dawnsboy wrote:I do not believe that the ink cartridge has expired.
Does its Copy function work?

If you print a test page from CUPS, can you hear the print head moving back and forth? Or does the sheet just immediately come out?

dawnsboy

#16 Post by dawnsboy »

Does its Copy function work?
The print head moves back and forth. The sheet feeds properly. At the time of this post I had recently experienced this behavior on the part of the printer but was pressed for time. I had a fresh install, and immediate need to print. I wound up hand copying the item and shutting down.

So I tested the copy function only to discover that it does not print from the copy function. I should have tested that before posting. If the cartridge is empty something is wrong there because it is a relatively new cartridge.

That being said there is nothing to trouble shoot here in regard to the software. It would seem obvious that the cartridge is empty even though it is relatively new.

My apologies for not taking the time to test that before making this post. :oops:

rcrsn51

#17 Post by rcrsn51 »

I own several HP units for testing purposes, but I don't use them for everyday work. I am unimpressed with their quality, which is a far cry from the good old days of the Laserjet 4/5/6.

dawnsboy

#18 Post by dawnsboy »

I own several HP units for testing purposes, but I don't use them for everyday work. I am unimpressed with their quality, which is a far cry from the good old days of the Laserjet 4/5/6.
I am obliged to agree with that assessment. I appreciate your response rcrsn51. As a matter of curiosity which printer do you favor?

rcrsn51

#19 Post by rcrsn51 »

My first choice is Brother. Their Linux compatibility is 100% and I have found them to be very reliable.

My HP Deskjet F4280 is actually a very good photo printer, but it's too expensive to use that way.

I always liked Canon printers, but their Linux drivers seem a bit basic. One Puppy user claimed that when printing black text, the printer actually uses a mixture of colours instead of the black cartridge. But I can't confirm that.

Epson has always had a good reputation. However, I have a Workforce 320 for testing and it's surprisingly slow for something that claims to be a business machine.

My personal recommendation has always been to own two printers - a compact laser for everyday work and a multi-function unit for colour and scanning. However, most people would rather spend money on ink than buy two units.

dawnsboy

#20 Post by dawnsboy »

My personal recommendation has always been to own two printers - a compact laser for everyday work and a multi-function unit for colour and scanning. However, most people would rather spend money on ink than buy two units.
I have actually been considering two units. I hate spending money on the cartridges. I had heard that Brother printers were very good. I think I will buy one to use as my day to day printer and setup a second printer for color and scanning as you recommend.

I don't want to keep buying HP cartridges if they are not going to more than a few pages though.

Thank you for the recommendation.