Legacy OS 2 Released (Download Now!)

News, happenings
umair

Dual Boot

#76 Post by umair »

john biles:
I m using Linux Puppy from last couple of months, used your teen pup mini, loved it wat a gr8 work u have DONE Congr8s Dear. Now want to use Lagacy OS2.

A problem which is I m facing now is that I downloaded Lagacy OS 2 (My Pc Spec. is Pentium-III 1Ghz, 512 MB RAM, 20 HDD), I have Windows XP on C Drive thn I boot Lagacy OS2 with live CD, ran GPARTED and make a EXT2 Partition round about 3 GB (sda5) and also make a SWAP Partition of 500 MB. Everything goes right but have 02 main issues:

1. How to install GRUB to boot Lagacy OS 2 as my boot partition (C drive) is FAT32, not ext2 as I mentioned earlier that I have XP installed. Is there is any method or anything else to install GRUB on FAT32 so I have dual OS option i.e. Windows XP with Lagacy OS 2 (Personally dont like windows but my 8 years relatives wants to play games Smile ).

2. Second issue is my SWAP partition always shows 0 MB usage, I have couple of puplets installed using FRUGAL method i.e. Lucid 525, Macpup and Teenpup mini beta (Note: SWAP Partition works fine with Teen pup mini).
Looking for positive and earlier response.

Regards
UMAIR

postfs1

#77 Post by postfs1 »

To reedit up to date.
Last edited by postfs1 on Mon 28 Mar 2016, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#78 Post by starhawk »

One small complaint: many cheaper CD-Rs are only 650 MB. Perhaps there is a way to compress it further down to that size?

starhawk

#79 Post by starhawk »

Sorry to take up two posts in a row... but I can't seem to convince LegacyOS2 that I have a USB CD drive. It keeps looking for an IDE CD drive, not finding it, and dying right in the middle of booting.

Is there a way around this? I don't have a 1gig flash drive handy, and I don't fancy buying one, either.

smokey01

#80 Post by smokey01 »

starhawk have you tried configuring your CD drive?

Menu>Setup>CD/DVD Drive wizard

starhawk

#81 Post by starhawk »

Errr... not sure you read my post completely.

It won't boot from a USB CD Drive. There's nothing to configure -- it looks for an IDE CD drive (internal type) that doesn't exist, while the external CD drive whirrs away for no reason. When it doesn't find what isn't there, it spits an error message at me and goes off to sulk.

metalmayhem420me1

LegacyOS2 download

#82 Post by metalmayhem420me1 »

Is there anywhere to download this by by torrent? I found Teenpup but can't find this one.It would help alot for those of us stuck with 26.6k (on a good day) dialup... Thanks

john biles

#83 Post by john biles »

Hello metalmayhem420me1
Is there anywhere to download this by by torrent? I found Teenpup but can't find this one.It would help alot for those of us stuck with 26.6k (on a good day) dialup... Thanks
If anyone knows of anyone hosting a torrent of Legacy OS 2 please post link here.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

starhawk

Re: LegacyOS2 download

#84 Post by starhawk »

metalmayhem420me1 wrote:Is there anywhere to download this by by torrent? I found Teenpup but can't find this one.It would help alot for those of us stuck with 26.6k (on a good day) dialup... Thanks
I can send you a CD if you want... PM me and we'll talk about it.

svgt

Printer problems

#85 Post by svgt »

Hello,

I tried to use an old Epson Stylus Color 640 printer. First I tried the legacy printers with xpdq. Then I got no printing output.
Later I tried the Cups Printing system which contained this printer. But these different printer managements are excluding. How can I deinstall the Legacy Printer System?

Thanks in advance
Svgt

john biles

#86 Post by john biles »

Hello svgt,
You can not uninstall the "Legacy Printer System". Might I suggest removing any printers set up in xpdq.
Once you've installed the Cups Printer Packages, you can use Konqueror to control CUPS and set up new Printers. Look under "Printers" in the main menu and you will see the option to use Konqueror.

It's an interesting problem as I have always used CUPS from the start so haven't come across this problem?
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

James C

#87 Post by James C »

Still working fine..... :)
Attachments
legacy os.png
(178.78 KiB) Downloaded 1556 times

dukedoug

Squeezing it in

#88 Post by dukedoug »

I've installed Legacy OS 2 to run on a DIGITAL HiNote Ultra 2000 laptop - first version with 166 MHz CPU, 144 MB RAM (maxed) and 3 GB hard disk. (Using a Xircom PCMCIA wired Ethernet card because this model Ultra 2000 had no internal NIC ... had to wait for Version 2 with 200 MHz CPU for that !!).

Why ? ... because I could !!

This machine was my corporate laptop when I worked for DIGITAL (aka. DEC) in the late 90's. It ran Windows NT 4.1 and supported me as Enterprise Sales pre-sales consultant and later roles with Compaq after the buyout. It traveled very many air miles in Asia-Pac and never missed a beat. It was used for several important demo. suites - hence the 144 MB RAM.

Legacy OS 2 booted fine into RAM from CD once I had re-partitioned my hard disk (which had somehow become corrupted - probably due to some effect of sitting in the cupboard in my office unused for the past 5 years or so).

Having achieved live operation I decided to go for broke and install to disk. This was one of the most painless Linux installations I have ever experienced. I run Ubuntu and Fedora on various laptops / desktops and usually spend a fair bit of time and effort getting various things to work post-installation - especially graphics and networking. None of those problems here.

The main Legacy OS 2 applications generally run acceptably on the Ultra 2000. This is the first Linux distro. I have been able to run on this machine which shows performance roughly comparable to how I remember Win NT 4.1 performed. Others I have tried include LUbuntu, XUbuntu, Fluxbuntu and some that I could not even get to run - including DSL (Damn Small) and DeLi.

Of course some of the legacy apps (Browsers etc.) have trouble with modern content on such an underpowered machine (JavaScript, Flash etc.) but this is expected.

Overall - VERY Happy and VERY Impressed.

cthisbear

#89 Post by cthisbear »

" Overall - VERY Happy and VERY Impressed. "

:::::::::::

dukedoug:

Welcome to Puppy.

John Biles is a great bloke who spends a long time with
little help by anyone else to get his previous version of Teenpup,
and now Legacy to run.

I'm sure that he will be delighted to hear of your success.

Regards.....Chris.

slenkar

#90 Post by slenkar »

I booted from an unzipped iso image and the installer cant find any partitions on the hard drive, is this normal?

starhawk

#91 Post by starhawk »

You're really not supposed to open those up... they just get burnt to a CD ;)

slenkar

#92 Post by slenkar »

I dont have any cd's left :(

Pdrive can see my partitions but Gparted and the installer cant.

svgt

Using OS2 in a Grub2 environment

#93 Post by svgt »

Hi,

I want to use OS2 in a Grub2 environment. The old Grub commands with root and kernel do not call OS2.

With which commands I should call OS2.

Thanks in advance.
svgt

umair

#94 Post by umair »

hello every one:
I successfully installed Legacy OS 2 Gamer on P-III (D815) 512 MB RAM. I made an ext2 partition of around 3.8 GB. I ran GRUB4DOS as I have win-xp installed in boot partition. I can boot without any issue to win-xp and other FRUGAL installations of Puppy Linux, but when I choose to boot Legacy OS 2 Gamer, it give me the following Error:
kernel panic - not syncing : vfs : unable to mount root fs on unknown block (0,0).
My menu entry is as under:
title Legacy OS 2 Gamer
uuid 3856a0a1-5324-4456-9dbd-2c8b1fd65274
kernel /boot/vmlinuz root = dev/sda7 ro

Can anybody tell me how to fix this ?
Thnx in Advance.
(UMAIR)

svgt

#95 Post by svgt »

hello,

I think you should write >root=/dev/hda7<

Best regards