alphat64 from alphaOS 14.5 but with UEFI, initrd from fd630

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
ndrancs

alphat64 from alphaOS 14.5 but with UEFI, initrd from fd630

#1 Post by ndrancs »

hi all,

I am pleased to introduce this OS in the puppy forums.
alphat64 is using alphaOS_14.5 as its base and alphaOS using archlinux.
in short description this OS is arch based OS but with initrd from fd630, puppylinux like init.

4th optional release, but recommended to update
March 25, 2014

link to xdelta diff:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/p0cmd5nyz2ufr/4th

- Simargl is planning to remove mplayer2, but i love it, so i dont remove it ;)
- but i add mpv too : http://mpv.io/
- tweak openbox menu
- add battery indicator to conky and tint2 panel, so we can see battery status
- change, add backgrounds

3rd release
March 24, 2014

link to xdelta diff:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/xzq3xhjkrd6i9/3rd

- add new tools: makesfs
usage:
# makesfs package-name
ie
# makesfs geany

load the SFS with:
# sfs_load /path/to/sfs
ie
# sfs_load /aufs/devbase/geany.sfs

or just press the key shortcut , win-logo + S

- new firefox esr v24.4.0 SFS.
- fix USB modem can't connect sometimes.
- fix keyboard + mouse freeze after login to desktop.
- fix connmand daemon not running without savefile, now the daemon always running after login to desktop.
- new app in base sfs:
xdelta3 v3.0.8
xorriso v1.3.6.pl01
compton git version "https://github.com/chjj/compton"
libconfig-1.4.9-1 from pacman repo
wbar v2.3.4-1 from pacman repo
"https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/In ... ndle+fonts" TTF not included.
--fontconfig-infinality-ultimate v2.11.0-23
--freetype2-infinality-ultimate v2.5.3-4
--cairo-infinality-ultimate-1.12.16-3

2nd release
what have I changed from the original alphaOS?
- Initrd replaced with the use of initrd fd630
- UEFI idea from fd630 too
- using stable kernel 3.13 .config is from alphaOS 14.5

original thread:
http://alphaos.tuxfamily.org/forum/view ... =13&t=1045

link to ISO:
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/778nj6 ... I_ISO_rev2

iam open to every good input likes bug report, suggestions and criticisms or patch

credits:
- James Budiono
- Kirk
- Simargl, alphaOS original author
- This forum, i have learn alot here.

Thank you all for a great OS.

Last edited by ndrancs on Tue 25 Mar 2014, 10:31, edited 4 times in total.

Ted Dog

#2 Post by Ted Dog »

cool...

Ted Dog

#3 Post by Ted Dog »

Does it contain multisession code or Apple filesystem support? Wondering I am working on another two 64 distros a iPuppy and FAsTDOG 64 630 which has a different methods of remastering and multisession saves and should be faster even if it does not have memory for auto expand in RAM.

ndrancs

#4 Post by ndrancs »

Ted Dog wrote:cool...
Ted Dog wrote:Does it contain multisession code or Apple filesystem support? Wondering I am working on another two 64 distros a iPuppy and FAsTDOG 64 630 which has a different methods of remastering and multisession saves and should be faster even if it does not have memory for auto expand in RAM.
-yes it contain multisession code but not yet tested by me
-if you mean HFS and HFS+ yes it compiled as module
-i think because this os use "BASE_SFS_DEFAULT=local" then "base2ram=expand" doesnt work, i have tested the "base2ram=expand" but my hdd/flash always mounted in /aufs/devbase/.

and i feel smooth and quick :)
Attachments
alphaos-20140321132848.png
(136.47 KiB) Downloaded 2404 times

Ted Dog

#5 Post by Ted Dog »

multisession code also from fd64? there was a bug fix but I havent located code or did a difference check on source to see what was changed.. But I do not think ARCH even knows how puppylinux does multisession then the newer fatdog64 method... then my mixed old new method to remake multisession into a roll back and forward machine.. IE I want a rolling release style puppylinux as a result. Arch based puppylinux would be ideal base for a rolling puppy.
iPuppy base must be 185M or less to fit and quick boot directly from spare space in EFI boot partition. I have done it before but both Slacko and Fatdog64 have past that mark.... :cry:

ally

#6 Post by ally »

ndrancs

#7 Post by ndrancs »

Ted Dog wrote:multisession code also from fd64? there was a bug fix but I havent located code or did a difference check on source to see what was changed.. But I do not think ARCH even knows how puppylinux does multisession then the newer fatdog64 method... then my mixed old new method to remake multisession into a roll back and forward machine.. IE I want a rolling release style puppylinux as a result. Arch based puppylinux would be ideal base for a rolling puppy.
iPuppy base must be 185M or less to fit and quick boot directly from spare space in EFI boot partition. I have done it before but both Slacko and Fatdog64 have past that mark.... :cry:
yes its code from fd64 630, from what i have read this must be dvd not cd right?
can you please send me the fix? or its a secret? :)
i will try to follow the rolling release style puppylinux does
ok i see you want to remaster and name it iPuppy, right?

how about this, just put this file in ESP: initrd, vmlinuz, grub.cfg, /EFI/grub2/grub2.efi
and add grub2.efi to uefi, you can use efibootmgr
or
if you use rEFInd add this code for grub2 to /EFI/boot/refind.conf

Code: Select all

menuentry "Grub2" {
	icon /EFI/boot/icons/os_linux.icns
	loader /EFI/grub2/grub2.efi
}

ndrancs

#8 Post by ndrancs »

Ted Dog

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

rolling release puppy is a foreign concept to most die hard puppylinux fans. And it is really a rething of multisession as a methodology to make that concept work really well. BerryK the former now retired but still releasing stuff actually leapfrogged my idea with his Quirky6 effort. So now playing a back build reorganization effort. I was planning to retool multisession and remaster methodology first then do what BarryK has done with Quirky6 inside of the rebuilt methods. That would result in a fully forward and backward rolling release method not done any where else. IE it would fix the most basic problem you can get into with a rolling release model.. True and complete return to any prexisting state either back and or forward after repairs etc.
So You can see how a rolling release model distro like ARCH as a code base would work very well rewraped within puppylinux mindset.. Well like you have already done..
I do not mind sharing code but stuff is very fuild and subject to rewrites and re thinks.. But I could pm you my master plan to take over the puppylinux universe.. Ok not really just make it better in some under valued metbods already existing.

Ted Dog

#10 Post by Ted Dog »

Fatdog64 630 also now fully supports Bluray to the same but even better speed wise as DVD. both share same scripts its just a matter of what media you placed in drive. I have a bluRay burner that also burns DVD. The code changes I worked on and others polished and strengthened are In text scripts with in fatdog64 . What has changed was a burning limit somewhere in one or two compiled executables. I do not have the source of those changes.. but will need to or someone with those changes need to compile 32bit and or ARM.
I knew of the code limit and was unable to follow the code easily to find where limit existed if it was even there it may have be a integer size with a hi bit as Negitive logic error. It my only be a compiler flag for defualt integer size.. I do not know.. I did not know anyone else was looking into the bug. I found out it was fixed by happy accident. Or better laziness, I knew it sbould throw an error and not save a session so I did not eject disc to skip a session when rebooting..

tigs

#11 Post by tigs »

This is intresting.

booted very fast. successfully created savefile as puppy. did not test how the saveifle is different from regular puppy.

I cannt seem to get the connman to connect to wifi.

will play with it a bit more, more on how the savefile works. I really like the puppy way where you can choose whether to save it or not, when to save it, the feature of the puppysaveconfig 2.2.6 by sinobar.

gcmartin

#12 Post by gcmartin »

tigs wrote:... cannt seem to get the connman to connect to wifi.

will play with it a bit more, more on how the savefile works. I really like the puppy way where you can choose whether to save it or not, when to save it, the feature of the puppysaveconfig 2.2.6 by sinobar.
I am assuming you are using something akin to FATDOG's new packaging and boot logic. Asuming that this resembles the same path to desktop, you will need to open the Control Panel to the Service Manager where there is a setting "wl" which may be the cause. I've had to do this on each of my Laptops to get wireless working with the chipset(s).

This may not apply. I have not had a chance to boot this 64bit implementation, yet.

Hope this helps.

ndrancs

#13 Post by ndrancs »

Ted Dog wrote:Fatdog64 630 also now fully supports Bluray to the same but even better speed wise as DVD. both share same scripts its just a matter of what media you placed in drive. I have a bluRay burner that also burns DVD. The code changes I worked on and others polished and strengthened are In text scripts with in fatdog64 . What has changed was a burning limit somewhere in one or two compiled executables. I do not have the source of those changes.. but will need to or someone with those changes need to compile 32bit and or ARM.
I knew of the code limit and was unable to follow the code easily to find where limit existed if it was even there it may have be a integer size with a hi bit as Negitive logic error. It my only be a compiler flag for defualt integer size.. I do not know.. I did not know anyone else was looking into the bug. I found out it was fixed by happy accident. Or better laziness, I knew it sbould throw an error and not save a session so I did not eject disc to skip a session when rebooting..
any update ?

ndrancs

#14 Post by ndrancs »

gcmartin wrote:
tigs wrote:... cannt seem to get the connman to connect to wifi.

I am assuming you are using something akin to FATDOG's new packaging and boot logic. Asuming that this resembles the same path to desktop, you will need to open the Control Panel to the Service Manager where there is a setting "wl" which may be the cause. I've had to do this on each of my Laptops to get wireless working with the chipset(s).

This may not apply. I have not had a chance to boot this 64bit implementation, yet.

Hope this helps.
i have test many wifi chipset with this kernel and almost every chipset is working, but simargl not included all every firmware for the wifi and of course the wl driver too, maybe i need to compile it manually and included it in basesfs

labbe5

Highly recommended

#15 Post by labbe5 »

Hi,

A user of 32-bit AlphaOS, still using the 8th version, i highly recommend it for its huge database of packages offered by Arch, via Pacman. Dependencies are not an issue with Pacman, every dependencies are installed. At the beginning, I was skeptical about installing the most recent Digikam, 3.5, but every bit of dependencies was fitting into place, and the app got installed in a few minutes, working like a charm. In a Puppy-like system, Digikam is fast and enjoyable to work with.

If Pacman was able to deal with such a huge app, it should work for any kind of package, big or small. And best of all, the most up-to-date packages are offered. It is trully a unique blend of small-core ISO, usability and expandability, while keeping everything fast.

AlphaOS is small, as a live-cd, but is potentially your best bet for any kind of work. Personnally i use it for its numerous apps in photography category, with a flash drive and a save file of about 4G.

It is so good, i didn't feel the need to upgrade to the most recent version 64-bit 14.5, but i am confident in Simargl that he kept up the high level of quality through all versions.

My hope is that AlphaOS is known at large in the Puppy community, and that developers get inspired by it. By the look of it, AlphaOS already has a few developers actively working on it.

By the way, the OS is known by the name Alpha, but is not in alpha stage. It may be confusing at the look of it.

bark_bark_bark

Re: Highly recommended

#16 Post by bark_bark_bark »

labbe5 wrote:My hope is that AlphaOS is known at large in the Puppy community, and that developers get inspired by it. By the look of it, AlphaOS already has a few developers actively working on it.
The community knows about it, it was just that the developer simargl was just not a very friendly person.

Ted Dog

Re: Highly recommended

#17 Post by Ted Dog »

bark_bark_bark wrote:
labbe5 wrote:My hope is that AlphaOS is known at large in the Puppy community, and that developers get inspired by it. By the look of it, AlphaOS already has a few developers actively working on it.
The community knows about it, it was just that the developer simargl was just not a very friendly person.
wow and he is being nice about calling simargl just unfriendly.. :wink:

gcmartin

#18 Post by gcmartin »

One thing I think "might" have a positive effect on the acceptance is to find a way to make the name symbolic of stable systems. Right now, anything I see with an "alpha..." label is reminiscent of "test,not ready for production" in concept. Another member mentions this naming issue in an earlier post.

I think this distro needs to come up with a Puppyland naming that provides knowledge at first glance on distro's intent. This may provide something reflecting the stability that it is bringing to use.

Hope this helps

BHINTZ

how to log in

#19 Post by BHINTZ »

I have attempted to boot alphat64 but can't get past the log in requirement.

What is the secret?

bob

ally

#20 Post by ally »

^^^^^^^^

yeah, me too !!

:)