bootable disk from mac: don't use toast -- use the terminal

Booting, installing, newbie
pooklaroux

bootable disk from mac: don't use toast -- use the terminal

#1 Post by pooklaroux »

Edit 3/18/06: thanks to a kindly response on the ibooks usenet, I have finally created a bootable cd. Here's the answer: No, you probably can't make a pc bootable cd in os 9, BUT if you are running OSX, you don't need a burner program, you can just open a terminal window, type "hdiutil burn (drop your iso file right here) [enter] the burner prompted me for a disk, I put one in -- and it burned a proper bootable disk. Threw that in the thinkpad and it booted right up! Okay -- now on to the hard drive problem...

I think I'm in an endless fsck loop, so I rebooted out of that, went to bios and rest to boot from cd only. I tried another iso9660 disk I burned, I am getting an error which means "the computer cannot find a bootable disk" the linux startup disk is very bootable. SO -- apparently I am making these cds wrong... so back to the toast docs I go...
Last edited by pooklaroux on Sat 18 Mar 2006, 07:23, edited 1 time in total.

pooklaroux

okay -- here's the short answer

#2 Post by pooklaroux »

NO you cannot make a cd that is bootable on a pc using toast titanium 5.1.2 on a mac under mac os 9.2. Not according to the documentation that comes with toast.

okay.

well, now that I have stayed up all night to figure that out --

Erin go bragh!