How to install RealPlayer10 in 1.0.8r1 Mozilla

How to do things, solutions, recipes, tutorials
Flash
Official Dog Handler

How to install RealPlayer10 in 1.0.8r1 Mozilla

#1 Post by Flash »

I did this last night so I may have forgotten something I did, but, to the best of my recollection, this is what worked for me:
  • 1. Download RealPlayer10GOLD.bin from this webpage. Remember where you put the download. I chose to put it in /root/my-applications.
    2. Find the file you downloaded, right-click it, choose "permissions," then "Yes" to the question "Make executable/searchable?"
    3. Open a console (click the console icon on Puppy's desktop.) Type "cd [directory where RealPlayer10GOLD.bin is located]" (in my case, "cd /root/my-applications",) hit "Enter," then type "./RealPlayer10GOLD.bin" and hit "Enter".
    4. Follow the directions. I just kept clicking the defaults and everything seems to work fine.
Now, when I click a link to a RealPlayer file in Mozilla, it plays without me having to do anything.. :D

Caraibes

#2 Post by Caraibes »

:P :P :P
Yes, I did follow your instructions, and it worked...

The only thing is that it doesn't (yet) open as the default player when clicking on a radio station in Mozilla or Firefox...

Will see if I work my way around...

But anyway, I almost forgot I don't have any sound, so it's of no use (yet)...

Thanks anyway for the post...

SamSung

#3 Post by SamSung »

Hi

I installed the Realplayer as per the instructions but no joy for me I go to the bbc site to watch video and it comes up with the same message as always no plugin installed after launching gxine.

Anybody any ideas

Thanks

Sam

MU

#4 Post by MU »

This codec-pack might help you:
http://www.murga.org/~puppy/viewtopic.php?t=3133

Mark

SamSung

#5 Post by SamSung »

Hi Mark

I installed the codec pack and ran the setup restarted x and then started Mozilla and opened a video news item on the BBC the mplayer plugin showed that it was buffering and then said stopped.
Also I cannot view quicktime movie trailers now whearas before I could and I cannot play the radio on the BBC which I could before..

So bit of a step back any ideas

Sam

MU

#6 Post by MU »

The plugin needs mplayer, that is installed, yes?
You can uninstall the plugin so gxine will be used again.
Gxine uses those codecs, too.

If it still won't work, you can uninstall the codecs with pupget, then re-install realplayer.
No idea, why it won't work for you :(

Mark

SamSung

#7 Post by SamSung »

Thanks Mark for the reply eventually found the time to try and get it to work again but no joy so now I would like to uninstall the Mplayer plugin and the codecs but they are not listed in the pupget installer.

Looks like I will have to do that manually can you tell me what was installed.

Cheers

Sam

theinfamousj

#8 Post by theinfamousj »

Just adding a note to let you know that the symlinks might be broken if you try to do this with FireFox. If you get the following message:

Then what you are going to have to do is remove nphelix.so and nphelix.xpt from /usr/loca/firefox/plugins (those should be symlinks) and replace them with copies of files with those names from /usr/local/RealPlayer/mozilla

klhrevolutionist

#9 Post by klhrevolutionist »

You can install RealPlayer very simply in Puppy Linux.

http://www.GreenvilleRoad.com/PuppyGuid ... RealPlayer
Heaven is on the way, until then let's get the truth out!

John Doe

#10 Post by John Doe »

Caraibes wrote:The only thing is that it doesn't (yet) open as the default player when clicking on a radio station in Mozilla or Firefox...
prefs.js

Open up ~/mozilla/default/r3y1skkw.slt/prefs.js and add the following line:

user_pref("network.protocol-handler.app.rtsp", "/usr/local/bin/defaultmediaplayer");

r3y1skkw might be different on your machine. make sure you have the gxine extra codes from the pupget installer. You don't need realplayer at all. Gxine will handle everything.

lvds

#11 Post by lvds »

John Doe wrote:You don't need realplayer at all. Gxine will handle everything.
Well i have a few issues with gxine i cannot understand. It appears in two ways:
1. i click on a video link and gxine appears inside the browser but it do nothing.
2. i click on a video link and firefox complains that it does not know how to handle the link. Say for example a mms://radio.etc.etc

Do you know how to solve these problems ?

Best regards,
Laurent.